Author Topic: Shaver behind the plate  (Read 2252 times)

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
Shaver behind the plate
« on: September 16, 2019, 09:55:52 am »
The Athletic has a great article about Colton Shaver being tried out at catcher in the AFL.

Shaver grew up catching and was recruited to BYU as a catcher but was primarily a DH in college because he was blocked by older catchers on the Cougars’ roster.

“I really like it back there. I like how you’re always engaged in each and every pitch,” Shaver said. “That’s always been my first love as a position.”

He made it to Corpus this year, and at 24 it sounds like if this experiment works, he could be pushing for a roster spot in Houston next year.  Did anyone see him play this year?
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

Lefty

• View Profile
Re: Shaver behind the plate
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 02:04:05 pm »
The Athletic has a great article about Colton Shaver being tried out at catcher in the AFL.

He made it to Corpus this year, and at 24 it sounds like if this experiment works, he could be pushing for a roster spot in Houston next year.  Did anyone see him play this year?

2 games on tv.  He looks comfortable back there, quiet, glove is good, arm is okay to good
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 10:38:47 pm »
I agree. He has the arm but not the glove for 3B but looked good in the one game I saw behind the dish.
Up in the Air

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 07:42:12 am »
Just going by his name, Colton Shaver sounds like a future ranch owner. How does one get invited to the CCBL and who pays the expense?
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 05:56:29 pm »
Just going by his name, Colton Shaver sounds like a future ranch owner. How does one get invited to the CCBL and who pays the expense?
If those were his aspirations he woulda shortened it to Colt.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 06:27:10 am »
Re: Summer leagues - Sponsors cover some of the team related cost.  Players often live with host families and sometimes have part time jobs as well (though that is becoming more rare). 

The leagues have recruiters/scouts who reach out to college coaches or vise versa.  Sometimes coaches want a younger player to get more innings/at bats and finds a lower tier league for him to play in. 
Always ready to go to a game.