Author Topic: Further proof ESPN is bottom of the barrel crap  (Read 3559 times)

WulawHorn

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
Further proof ESPN is bottom of the barrel crap
« on: August 03, 2007, 12:44:59 pm »
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=boyd/070802&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab4pos2

An article written by a 50 year old calling hank aaron a playa hater and written in street slang ebonics.

What the hell is wrong with the world wide leader- the channel that I grew up loving?

HPFRic

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
Re: Further proof ESPN is bottom of the barrel crap
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 01:10:38 pm »
i think (scratching head)... just looking at his credentials, that he's slyly skewering african-americans who back their own in any and all circumstances regardless of what the evidence might suggest (ie o.j., vick, cuba gooding, jr....)

maybe? no?.... if not, i have no idea why that was published.

Curly

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 01:15:05 pm »
What an ass munch!

Houston

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 01:18:47 pm »
It's a good thing Hank Aaron is sitting at home waiting for the Notorious Ph.D. to straighten him out.  ;)

Hank's open letter response:

Dear Sir:

I got your Ph.D. right here!

Love,
Hank
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to go chase it." - Rogers Hornsby

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 01:19:12 pm »
I think ric is right. He's trying to be cleverly sarcastic. It didn't work.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

Curly

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 01:21:27 pm »
It's a good thing Hank Aaron is sitting at home waiting for the Notorious Ph.D. to straighten him out.  ;)

Hank's open letter response:

Dear Sir:

I got your Ph.D. right here!

Love,
Hank
More like "...and you are who"?

WulawHorn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 02:05:35 pm »
I think ric is right. He's trying to be cleverly sarcastic. It didn't work.

I'd like to think that usually clever sarcasm doesn't fly over my head. I'd say I'm certainly in the top 3% of the general population that way.

Maybe the problem was the sarcasm wasn't clever, or maybe the problem is that I'm an idiot.  I didn't read it that way at all. Even upon rereading I don't know that I got that.  If so I think he missed his mark
Dude is writing a book about the "superfly" 70's though, so I don't know if this is toungue in cheek or not, having not read prior works of his.

TheWizard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 02:06:48 pm »
Whatever he was trying to do, the article is garbage.
Today seems like a good day to burn a bridge or two

HPFRic

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 02:13:33 pm »
Even upon rereading I don't know that I got that.

i'm merely supposing that a decorated academic of his obvious caliber wouldn't write in that style without it having a larger point to make.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 02:28:51 pm »
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=boyd/070802&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab4pos2

An article written by a 50 year old calling hank aaron a playa hater and written in street slang ebonics.

What the hell is wrong with the world wide leader- the channel that I grew up loving?

The streets have lost respect for you too, Hank. You once had street cred, just "on the strength," as they say. You were Big Bank Hank to us. The fact that you had to endure so much hatin' yourself on your way to breaking Babe's record meant you always had much love in the streets. No more, though. Don't get me wrong, Bonds isn't the most street credible cat. For one, there's not enough bass in his voice. But in spite of that, hip-hop still loves an anti-hero and Bonds most certainly fits that bill.

To liken the abuse Bonds has gone through, largely self-invited due to Bonds' abrasive personality and alleged steroid use, to the abuse Hank Aaron went through, at the hands of unreformed racists still fighting the Civil War and trying to perpetuate Jim Crow, is absolutely, positively disgusting.

Bonds faces lingering questions about having prolonged his career and enhanced his performance by breaking the law and using substances against the rules of baseball. Aaron faced death threats from people who were probably among those still lynching blacks at the same time Aaron was growing up and began his playing days in the Negro Leagues in the South. Does anybody else see at least a slight difference here?

I think even Bonds himself would be embarrassed at the comparison, but this asshat on ESPN doesn't see any problem with it. ESPN and ABC should be ashamed for publishing this.

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2007, 08:21:58 am »
Point of order: can we please stop referring to Bonds' steroid use as "alleged".  He has admitted to using the stuff that he got from BALCO, and that stuff is known to have included bovine steroids and HGH.  All he claims now is that he didn't know what it was.

Wittingly or unwittingly, he used.  There is no longer any debate over this.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2007, 08:51:21 am »
Point of order: can we please stop referring to Bonds' steroid use as "alleged".  He has admitted to using the stuff that he got from BALCO, and that stuff is known to have included bovine steroids and HGH.  All he claims now is that he didn't know what it was.

Wittingly or unwittingly, he used.  There is no longer any debate over this.

I think there is a debate regarding the extent of his use. Using the "cream" or the "clear" once or twice unwittingly, as indicated by his grand jury testimony is a far cry on its performance-enhancing ability from using the stuff regularly over the course of several years as part of a dedicated regimen. The latter is what should still be "alleged."
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2007, 10:12:16 am »
I think there is a debate regarding the extent of his use. Using the "cream" or the "clear" once or twice unwittingly, as indicated by his grand jury testimony is a far cry on its performance-enhancing ability from using the stuff regularly over the course of several years as part of a dedicated regimen. The latter is what should still be "alleged."

To quote Churchill, "We've already established what you are, Madam.  Now we're haggling over price."
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2007, 02:52:51 pm »

I was being polite by using "alleged." I don't really buy the theory that Bonds was a once or twice unwitting user.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2007, 03:45:00 pm »
I was being polite by using "alleged." I don't really buy the theory that Bonds was a once or twice unwitting user.

Nor do I.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."