Author Topic: Ensberg by Numbers  (Read 907 times)

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
Ensberg by Numbers
« on: March 29, 2010, 03:50:21 pm »
I presume that this is his take on slide rule baseball.  If it is, ignoring the his "Top Gun" analogy (which I really like), my favourite bit is this:

Quote from: MOrgan Ensberg
Sabermetrics is being limited by the quality of information that is being provided.  What is great about this system is that it gives you an absolute value for effectiveness.  Sabermetrics doesn’t care if you sacrifice the runner over or not.  But, it will tell you how effective you are at sacrifice bunting.  However, Sabermetrics is calculating the outcomes instead of calculating the process possibilities.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 03:51:52 pm by Limey »
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
Re: Ensberg by Numbers
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 04:22:01 pm »
I like Morgan's response to the commenter who presented the Brad Ausmus "litmus" test.

Totally different than Budgirl's test of the same name. 
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 04:27:14 pm »
I like Morgan's response to the commenter who presented the Brad Ausmus "litmus" test.

Totally different than Budgirl's test of the same name. 

I believe that's called a "lickmuch" test.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Noe

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 04:59:12 pm »
Brad I really feel like I can help sabermatrics proponents with filtering out this data. One major problem is that you guys are looking for tendencies without having the luxury of knowing certain baseball patterns. This is NOT a criticism. My point is that there is no way you COULD notice some of these patterns because you haven’t been taught to look for them.

Morgan

I see what you're doing there Morgan.  I see it plainly.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 05:25:36 pm »
I see what you're doing there Morgan.  I see it plainly.

And unblinkingly watching it go right past you.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."