Author Topic: Alaniz...  (Read 2236 times)

pots

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Alaniz...
« on: August 15, 2009, 07:12:38 pm »
Don't see any discussion on him anywhere yet.  But if Heck is excited, then my interest is peaked.

http://brianmctaggart.mlblogs.com/archives/2009/08/astros-excited-about-signing-of-alaniz-a-non-drafted-free-agent.html

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Alaniz...
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 10:21:08 pm »
Some interesting info on him from Rio Grand Valley sports (RGVsports.com): LINK

Ironically, Alaniz was not known for his pitching prowess in high school and only really began pitching seriously this past season during his senior year at Juarez-Lincoln.

“He was really known as an outfielder who would pitch on occasion,” said Juarez-Lincoln head baseball coach Mike Garza about Alaniz.

“Before this past season began, RJ said he wanted to pitch more, so we started working him into the position. He’s a great athlete so I knew that if he continued to work at it he had the ability to pitch in college. But to go pro this fast after not really pitching very long is just incredible,” Garza added.

Alaniz said that his height drew a lot of attention but also admitted that his 95-mph fastball didn’t hurt either.
In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

OregonStrosFan

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 01:27:33 am »
Nothing new (info-wise) from BA, but here is what Callis said in response to a question about him (and about potential additional Astros draftee signings).  LINK

Re: I had Alaniz’ name on a looooooooong follow list of Texas HS pitchers for the draft but he didn’t catch my attention (or anyone else’s for that matter). All I know is what I read today, that he’s a 6-foot-4 righthander who can touch 95 mph. Sounds like a great sign for $160,000. Don’t think the Astros are going to do much more in the draft. They’ve signed 24 of their top 25 picks.

Posted by Jim Callis | August 15, 2009 at 10:07 pm

In the end, my dissolution with the game of baseball will not be a result of any loss of love for the game, rather from the realization that I can no longer bear the anger its supposed stewards cause to be built up in my soul. -Lee (01/08/2013)

Mike S.

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 10:35:12 am »
According to McTaggert's post, the Astros have signed 25 of their top 26 picks picks.  I'm assuming this means Matthew Watson is signed?  OSF, he's still listed as unsigned in your latest list, but since he was taken in the 26th round, and if McTaggert is correct, he must be with the Astros - or am I missing something blatantly obvious like basic math.

Really hoping that Peavey is one of those guys with whom Heck said the Astros are still negotiating.
Chevy! Chevy! Astro! Astro!

Hornstros

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 11:30:32 am »
According to McTaggert's post, the Astros have signed 25 of their top 26 picks picks.  I'm assuming this means Matthew Watson is signed?  OSF, he's still listed as unsigned in your latest list, but since he was taken in the 26th round, and if McTaggert is correct, he must be with the Astros - or am I missing something blatantly obvious like basic math.

McTaggert is accurate.   There was a third round supplemental pick which the Stros got for not signing Chase Davidson last year.   That's where we took Jonathan Meyer.  Through 25 rounds of drafting the Stros made 26 picks
Reading Richard Justice and respect level for Richard Justice are inversely related

Mike S.

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 06:00:08 pm »
Thanks.  Completely forgot Meyer was a supplemental pick.  As I said, missed something blatantly obvious.  Hate it when that happens.
Chevy! Chevy! Astro! Astro!