Author Topic: Who's on the hot seat this year  (Read 3576 times)

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
Who's on the hot seat this year
« on: February 15, 2007, 03:39:22 pm »
Who in the system hasn't lived up to their potential and has to prove their worth this year?  Who is at the most risk of being released this year if things don't improve?

Mitch Einertson and Timmy Johnson are the candidates I nominate from the low end of the system.  Who else is on the hot seat?
Always ready to go to a game.

Jacksonian

• Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
Re: Who's on the hot seat this year
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 04:14:35 pm »
Quote:

Who in the system hasn't lived up to their potential and has to prove their worth this year?  Who is at the most risk of being released this year if things don't improve?

Mitch Einertson and Timmy Johnson are the candidates I nominate from the low end of the system.  Who else is on the hot seat?

I'm sure there are a number of them. Billy Hart comes to mind. Jimerson.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Froback

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 04:05:07 pm »
If Jimerson doesn't make the 40-man, I think he is exposed to waivers, correct?  Just a though should one of the NRI make the 25-man.

I would say this is a big year for Josh Anderson too.  He needs to show much more consistancy at getting on base.

There are a few other low level type guys who might have been on the hot seat last year, but didn't do enough to get them off, but enough to still be there.

Jacksonian

• Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2007, 04:11:01 pm »
Quote:

If Jimerson doesn't make the 40-man, I think he is exposed to waivers, correct?  Just a though should one of the NRI make the 25-man.

I would say this is a big year for Josh Anderson too.  He needs to show much more consistancy at getting on base.

There are a few other low level type guys who might have been on the hot seat last year, but didn't do enough to get them off, but enough to still be there.

Here's the thing with Jimerson.  As I understand it there will be some rotation of outfielders at RR. But the main guys will be MRod, Anderson, and Pence.  That would leave Jimerson on the bench.  I can't imagine the Astros using a 40-man spot for a minor league bench player.  And, he won't be on the Astros bench either.

Anderson definitely needs to be a better on base guy if he wants to have any shot at starting in the majors.  If he can hit at AAA even without improving the walks he'll be setting himself up for a 4th or 5th outfield job in the majors, potentially.

There's always a number of pseudo-prospects or borderline prospects up and down a farm system on the bubble.  I believe a guy like Caraballo is on the hot seat because he's likely to max out at AA if he doesn't hit better.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Greg D

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2007, 06:36:59 pm »
Quote:

Jimerson is out of options. So even if he were to somehow remain on the 40-man, for the Astros to be able to assign him to Round Rock out of spring training he'd still have to clear waivers.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

coop

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 06:40:25 pm »
Would these guy be considered on the hot seat:

Eli Iorg - seems old for a high A prospect, and seemed to struggle last year.  

Koby - still young but has yet to show much

Bogusevic - I know he was injured last year but when is he going to start putting things together at any level?

Also, if Holdzkom doesn't make the opening day roster, what is the likelihood of the Astros working something out with the Cubs.  Seems like a guy that could help as a mid to late season call up.

Kent's Moustache

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 10:00:36 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Jimerson is out of options. So even if he were to somehow remain on the 40-man, for the Astros to be able to assign him to Round Rock out of spring training he'd still have to clear waivers.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the same holds true for Cs Humberto Quintero and Hector Gimenez, as well.
"Go play intramurals, brother.  Go play intramurals..."

Greg D

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 12:25:34 am »
Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the same holds true for Cs Humberto Quintero and Hector Gimenez, as well.

Gimenez was added to the 40-man the same time as Jimerson (i.e., prior to the 2004 season) so he has used up his three option years. Footer has also confirmed previously that he and Quintero are both out of options. And rounding out the discussion, Footer also noted yesterday (as was discussed in the TZ) that Bruntlett and Lane must also clear waivers due to the exception for players with 3 years of major league service time.

Greg D

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 12:44:01 am »
Quote:

Also, if Holdzkom doesn't make the opening day roster, what is the likelihood of the Astros working something out with the Cubs.  Seems like a guy that could help as a mid to late season call up.

I would think working out a deal with the Cubs is gonna be difficult because A) they're a division rival and B) pitching is always in such high demand. Also, the Astros don't exactly have an ample supply of position players in the minors to offer as trade bait and giving up young pitching to obtain young pitching seems kinda self-defeating.

I'm Richies Dad

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 10:17:59 am »
Wow I had no idea that Bruntlett had to go through waivers.  I'd hate to loose him.  I'd say that Lane is finally gone, I just don't see he makes the team, unless he is totally on fire in spring training.

Someone mentioned a AAA OF rotation  Tim Raines Jr and Todd Self were signed to play at least AA.

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 01:43:25 pm »
here is another thing with Jimerson: he was a major attitude problem at RR last year. if he is not great in ST, look for him to be released.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.