Author Topic: Me likey  (Read 12714 times)

Foghorn

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Me likey
« on: November 26, 2006, 01:59:38 am »
CF  Taveras
3B  Ensberg (move him to 5th if/when he gets his power stroke back)
1B  Berkman
LF  Lee
RF  Scott (versus righties;  Lane/Burke/Pence versus lefties; drop to #6 if Ensberg moves to #5)
2B  Biggio (mainly at home, Burke on the road; these guys move to #2 if Ensberg goes to #5)
SS Everett
C  Ausmus

SP Oswalt
SP Pettitte
SP Williams
SP Buccholz
SP Hirsch (the better of Buchholz/Hirsch stays in the rotation if/when Roger comes back)

RP Lidge (trade bait)
RP Wheeler (future closer?)
RP Qualls
RP Nieve (longterm answer at Closer?)
RP Miller

I'd go to war with this team.
You see pal, that's who I am, and you're nothing. Nice guy, I don't give a shit. Good father, fuck you. Go home and play with your kids. You wanna work here, close. You think this is abuse? You think this is abuse, you cocksucker? You can't take this, how can you take the abuse you get on a sit?

Dobro

• Prime Time Player
  • Triple Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Me likey
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 10:48:44 am »
Woody Williams makes me nervous.  I hope they don't have to rely on him as the third starter.

I hope Lidge and Ensberg are traded.
Lighten up, Francis.

schlumburger04

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 10:20:12 pm »
youre gonna lose the war with that team. your offense stinks and your rotation scares me

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 11:04:30 pm »
Quote:

youre gonna lose the war with that team. your offense stinks and your rotation scares me

Whatever.

Alkie

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006, 11:09:14 pm »
Arky, he's not talking about on-the-field.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2006, 11:14:52 pm »
Quote:

Arky, he's not talking about on-the-field.

Or even of this universe, apparently.

That's not the greatest roster ever assembled by any means, but it's an improvement over last season.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2006, 11:19:36 pm »
And, as you know, last year was a tremendous, total failure.  The Astros were eliminated from contention by the break and the closest team above us in the standings lost in the first round of the playoffs.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2006, 11:20:07 pm »
Berkman and Lee, if healthy, could generate a third as many runs as the entire team scored last season.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2006, 11:21:11 pm »
Quote:

And, as you know, last year was a tremendous, total failure.  The Astros were eliminated from contention by the break and the closest team above us in the standings lost in the first round of the playoffs.

Maybe they should've signed J.D. Drew to spend 50 games on the disabled list instead.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2006, 11:23:29 pm »
JD Drew is an automatic.  He's almost always healthy and has something like nine or ten (or one) seasons with 100+ RBI.

Jason Schmidt, however, is a liability for the same money because he makes 2 starts fewer than 100% per year.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2006, 11:32:03 pm »
By the way, I just read that the Phillies and Orioles, who made significant offers to Soriano and Lee will not be making an offer to JD Drew.

Hmmmmmmm.  Wonder why.

schlumburger04

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2006, 11:43:14 pm »
Quote:

That's not the greatest roster ever assembled by any means, but it's an improvement over last season.

barely

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2006, 11:44:27 pm »
Just fooling around with the numbers, Astros outfielders plus first basemen not named Berkman created an estimated 260 runs in 1,439 outs last season (4.9 runs per 27 outs). Meanwhile, Carlos Lee created an estimated 120 runs in 437 outs last season (7.4 runs per 27 outs).

Let's say you replace 437 of the outs made by Astros outfielders plus first basemen not named Berkman with 437 outs made by Carlos Lee at the same rates as last season. What's the difference?

An estimated 41 more runs. That's the difference between 12th and seventh in the league in runs scored. In Pythagorean terms, it's the difference between 83-79 and 87-75. Of course, this is all assumption built on supposition balanced on estimation tetering on guesswork.

But it gives some idea of what the Astros might've done last year had they had a bit more to work with in the middle of the order. As no doubt Noe will point out sometime this offseason as well, that's without considering what Lee's presence at No. 4 does to the approach of the rest of the hitters in the line-up.

Yeah, that offense stinks.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2006, 11:46:08 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

barely

The offensive difference alone might be on the magnitude of four games in the standings. Are you arguing that this is insignificant?

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2006, 11:46:52 pm »
He's not here to argue, he's here to teach.

No? in Austin

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2006, 11:57:32 pm »
Quote:

As no doubt Noe will point out sometime this offseason as well, that's without considering what Lee's presence at No. 4 does to the approach of the rest of the hitters in the line-up.

I could do it now, but it is as you say, not the time for that discussion.  See, there are those who are arguing the value of Lee's contract in terms of dollars alone and/or the ripple effect that will have on payroll.

There are those who might be prone to discuss the value of Lee as a cleanup hitter alone (or the lack of some sort of magical stat that speaks to his ability or lackthereof in that position).

Then there are those who will mix the two and say the Astros would've been better off with JD Drew.  In essence, some fans are just stupid and not worth talking to.  We'll talk about what having Lee in the middle of the lineup will do for this club similar to what Jeff Kent did in due time.  Right now, I fear the silly discussion that could ensue because of the lack of focus and understanding and what a loss that good discussion would be because of it.

schlumburger04

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2006, 12:00:04 am »
Quote:

Just fooling around with the numbers, Astros outfielders plus first basemen not named Berkman created an estimated 260 runs in 1,439 outs last season (4.9 runs per 27 outs). Meanwhile, Carlos Lee created an estimated 120 runs in 437 outs last season (7.4 runs per 27 outs).

Let's say you replace 437 of the outs made by Astros outfielders plus first basemen not named Berkman with 437 outs made by Carlos Lee at the same rates as last season. What's the difference?

An estimated 41 more runs. That's the difference between 12th and seventh in the league in runs scored. In Pythagorean terms, it's the difference between 83-79 and 87-75. Of course, this is all assumption built on supposition balanced on estimation tetering on guesswork.

But it gives some idea of what the Astros might've done last year had they had a bit more to work with in the middle of the order. As no doubt Noe will point out sometime this offseason as well, that's without considering what Lee's presence at No. 4 does to the approach of the rest of the hitters in the line-up.

how bout you just compare lee's stats to our um actual LF stats from last year. lets not mix willy's shit in on this

theres still 4 maybe 5 automatic outs in that lineup, it will still stink. just not as much

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2006, 12:02:35 am »
My head just exploded.

This is actually, seriously, the dumbest thing you've ever said.  And that's saying a lot.

Let's see if you can figure out why on your own.

schlumburger04

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2006, 12:17:27 am »
youre so funny alkie i like you

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2006, 12:20:39 am »
Quote:

how bout you just compare lee's stats to our um actual LF stats from last year. lets not mix willy's shit in on this

theres still 4 maybe 5 automatic outs in that lineup, it will still stink. just not as much

The reason for using the aggregate outfield statistics is because the Astros had so much shuffling in the outfield last season. We'll segregate center field, however, since Lee certainly won't be taking up any plate appearances there. Astros corner outfielders and first basemen other than Berkman created an estimated 213 runs in 963 outs last season (6.0 per 27 outs). Carlos Lee created an estimated 120 runs in 437 outs last season (7.4 per 27 outs). Plugging in Lee results in a difference of 23 runs, as opposed to the earlier estimate of 40 runs.

So while that is less significant, it would still be the difference of about two games in the win column. This is, of course, only the result of Lee replacing other corner outfielders -- like Jason Lane or Preston Wilson when they were badly struggling. Overall, the Astros should expect better production from the outfield in 2007 than they got in 2006. This is difficult to dispute, and it is notwithstanding staying pat at catcher, shortstop, second base and center field.

So, how is the line-up only marginally better if it could possibly add two games in a division lost by only one game?

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2006, 12:22:50 am »
Quote:

By the way, Spack's getting sick and tired of certain posters coming in here just to stir up shit with no intention of making sane arguments to back up their points. It looks a lot like trolling.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2006, 12:25:17 am »
Quote:

I'm not sure what this means, but I'm absolutely willing to do this for everyone's sake:

Let's set up a poll (which I hate, but I can't think of a better way).  Everyone can vote...do they find Alkie More Entertaining/Insightful/Helpful or schlumburger04 More Insightful/Entertaining/Helpful/Some Other Positive Trait You Don't Have.

Loser promises to never post on the site again.

Yes, I'm serious.  If people some place would rather read you than me, I'd rather not waste another moment in that place.

S.P. Rodriguez

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2006, 12:39:16 am »
Quote:

Quote:

By the way, Spack's getting sick and tired of certain posters coming in here just to stir up shit with no intention of making sane arguments to back up their points. It looks a lot like trolling.

This latest comment has me convinced he's a troll.  Lee is not a major upgrade?  Let's see who he's taking AB's away from:

Lane
Burke (in LF)
Huff (unlikely to return)
Wilson

Am I missing anyone?  I don't believe I am.  But if so, I am almost certain I captured the majority of the ABs detailed previously.  

To a man, not a single one of those players provided what Lee has provided consistantly over his career.  Wilson had a couple big years in Colorado.  Huff has tapered off somewhat, but is still productive and I'd love to see him play for the Astros next year.  Beyond Huff, not a one has a history of consistancy or even comes close production wise.  

The other argument?  Replacement value over Scott?  First, Scott is not a sure thing.  He played 65 games last year, only 240 plate appearances.  He's 28!  He's not some rookie phenomenon.  There's a very high probability his productoin will  drop off, likely significantly.  If not, great, he's in the mix to cover the corner outfield with Lee.  

I have to endorse the subject line.  If they bring back Huff and trade Ensberg, me likey even more.  

Taveras
Biggio
Berkman
Lee
Huff
Scott
Everett
Ausmus/Gimenez/Quinterro

If they can't bring back Huff, a platoon of Lamb and Ensberg seems to be in order.
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. "

-Mark Twain

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2006, 12:43:29 am »
Quote:

This latest comment has me convinced he's a troll.  Lee is not a major upgrade?  Let's see who he's taking AB's away from:

Lane
Burke (in LF)
Huff (unlikely to return)
Wilson

Am I missing anyone?  I don't believe I am.  But if so, I am almost certain I captured the majority of the ABs detailed previously.  

To a man, not a single one of those players provided what Lee has provided consistantly over his career.  Wilson had a couple big years in Colorado.  Huff has tapered off somewhat, but is still productive and I'd love to see him play for the Astros next year.  Beyond Huff, not a one has a history of consistancy or even comes close production wise.  

The other argument?  Replacement value over Scott?  First, Scott is not a sure thing.  He played 65 games last year, only 240 plate appearances.  He's 28!  He's not some rookie phenomenon.  There's a very high probability his productoin will  drop off, likely significantly.  If not, great, he's in the mix to cover the corner outfield with Lee.  

I have to endorse the subject line.  If they bring back Huff and trade Ensberg, me likey even more.  

Taveras
Biggio
Berkman
Lee
Huff
Scott
Everett
Ausmus/Gimenez/Quinterro

If they can't bring back Huff, a platoon of Lamb and Ensberg seems to be in order.

Perhaps more important, Garner has one more position where he's not having to play musical chairs. One thing about having a player who can give you 600 plate appearances of quality performance is that it not only replaces the next guy in line at that position, but it eliminates a lot of the plate appearances where Garner had to rely on guys who were really struggling -- or had to use guys who really should be on the bench and thus weren't available to pinch-hit because they had to start in place of guys in slumps. The chain-reaction effect occurs up and down the bench.

schlumburger04

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2006, 12:54:40 am »
Quote:

Quote:

The reason for using the aggregate outfield statistics is because the Astros had so much shuffling in the outfield last season. We'll segregate center field, however, since Lee certainly won't be taking up any plate appearances there. Astros corner outfielders and first basemen other than Berkman created an estimated 213 runs in 963 outs last season (6.0 per 27 outs). Carlos Lee created an estimated 120 runs in 437 outs last season (7.4 per 27 outs). Plugging in Lee results in a difference of 23 runs, as opposed to the earlier estimate of 40 runs.

So while that is less significant, it would still be the difference of about two games in the win column. This is, of course, only the result of Lee replacing other corner outfielders -- like Jason Lane or Preston Wilson when they were badly struggling. Overall, the Astros should expect better production from the outfield in 2007 than they got in 2006. This is difficult to dispute, and it is notwithstanding staying pat at catcher, shortstop, second base and center field.

well i see you edited so ill forget what i was gonna say to dispute your logic there. and im not gonna cut you down like i know you would do to me if i made such a mistake.

Quote:

So, how is the line-up only marginally better if it could possibly add two games in a division lost by only one game?

the fact that lane and wilson wont be taking up 2 spots for half a year is improvement in itself. we also have to hope lee doesnt go back to his 05 form and berkman maintains his unbelievable 06 form. so yeah, the line up is only marginally better but it will be better.

the NLC wont be won with 84 games either, im sure of that

schlumburger04

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2006, 12:57:36 am »
Quote:

Quote:

I'm not sure what this means, but I'm absolutely willing to do this for everyone's sake:

Let's set up a poll (which I hate, but I can't think of a better way).  Everyone can vote...do they find Alkie More Entertaining/Insightful/Helpful or schlumburger04 More Insightful/Entertaining/Helpful/Some Other Positive Trait You Don't Have.

Loser promises to never post on the site again.

Yes, I'm serious.  If people some place would rather read you than me, I'd rather not waste another moment in that place.

WOW, just take the damn compliment. jesus christ

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2006, 03:01:55 am »
Quote:

well i see you edited so ill forget what i was gonna say to dispute your logic there. and im not gonna cut you down like i know you would do to me if i made such a mistake.

I edited it to correct a mathemetical mistake I made in the data and the erroneous conclusions I drew from that mistake. The edit worked in favor of your point, because I had originally overestimated the magnitude of the difference. If you're inclined to "cut me down" for correcting a mistake I made, please don't feel compelled to restrain yourself. If you made a mistake and corrected it, rest assured that my first impulse wouldn't be to "cut you down."

If you confine the comparison to Lee vs. Lane/Wilson, I think that should push the numbers back up again, but I think that's quibbling at this point, since we don't know what the performance of the other outfielders would've been in 2007 without the Lee signing. You're correct to point out that Lee and Berkman (and Scott, for that matter) might not maintain their 2006 performances, but just the same it might be worth questioning whether other players on the team will be as bad as they were in 2006 -- Ensberg being the key example, assuming he is with the team when the season begins.

I'm not sure what you were looking for this offseason. If you were expecting to eliminate the so-called automatic outs -- I'm assuming Ausmus, Everett and to a lesser extent Biggio are in that group -- I think you were being unrealistic. I suspect if Purpura could've worked a deal to replace Taveras with Vernon Wells or Rocco Baldelli, he'd have done so.

The key now is whether they try to re-sign Huff. If they do, that gives them some flexiblity with respect to giving another shot to or moving Ensberg (more likely) or Scott (less likely). But I think even you'd have to admit that adding Lee is a significant upgrade, and that if Huff gets re-signed, which is still a possibility, the offense is quite a bit better than it was last season, "automatic outs" notwithstanding.

Bottom line is I'm not quite sure what you're bitching about -- unless it's just bitching for the sake of poking people in the eye.

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2006, 09:20:24 am »
Quote:

Does your keyboard get sticky with all that drool under the keys?  The apostrophe seems particularly afflicted.

How sweet.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2006, 10:31:37 am »
Quote:

Yep, troll.  Can we get rid of this guy now?

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2006, 12:07:04 pm »
I just read all those statistical comparisons.  As I look at Foggy's lineup I wonder what the stat difference was between Lee and Huff?  So far, that appears to be the only significant change to the team that went on a roll at the end of last season.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2006, 12:29:05 pm »
Quote:

I just read all those statistical comparisons.  As I look at Foggy's lineup I wonder what the stat difference was between Lee and Huff?  So far, that appears to be the only significant change to the team that went on a roll at the end of last season.

I don't know if I'd cut up the season like that, because you have to take the bad times with the good times. What's likely to be replaced, at this point, is a combination of these performances:
Player   Avg   OBP   Slg  RC  Out  RC/27
----------------------------------------
Wilson  .269  .309  .405  49  285    4.6
Lane    .201  .318  .392  36  230    4.3
Huff    .250  .341  .478  37  168    6.0
If you want to think of it as Lee replacing just Wilson and Lane (in case Huff is re-signed), then you're talking about replacing a difference of an estimated 47 runs. And that's without considering replacing Ensberg with a full season of Huff.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2006, 12:50:29 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

I don't know if I'd cut up the season like that, because you have to take the bad times with the good times. What's likely to be replaced, at this point, is a combination of these performances:
Player   Avg   OBP   Slg  RC  Out  RC/27
----------------------------------------
Wilson  .269  .309  .405  49  285    4.6
Lane    .201  .318  .392  36  230    4.3
Huff    .250  .341  .478  37  168    6.0
If you want to think of it as Lee replacing just Wilson and Lane (in case Huff is re-signed), then you're talking about replacing a difference of an estimated 47 runs. And that's without considering replacing Ensberg with a full season of Huff.

Correct me if I'm wrong but at the end of the season when the Astros were playing good the lineup was Scott, Taveras, Huff, Ensberg/Lamb, Everett, Biggio, Berkman, Ausmus.  At the moment, the only change from that lineup is Lee for Huff.

Wilson and Lane were problems earlier in the season, but Garner and Purp changed that.  What I'm trying to wrap my head around is how much more Lee brings than Huff given the end of last year's lineup.  The lineup that nearly delivered the NL Central.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2006, 12:54:09 pm »
Quote:

Wilson and Lane were problems earlier in the season, but Garner and Purp changed that.  What I'm trying to wrap my head around is how much more Lee brings than Huff given the end of last year's lineup.  The lineup that nearly delivered the NL Central.

The difference between Lee and Huff isn't as great as you'd imagine. Still, I'm hesitant to characterize the line-up at the end of the season as a division-winning line-up, vs. a line-up at mid-season that was a cellar-dwellar line-up, etc. It's not only a matter of personnel, it's a matter of how they're playing at a particular point in time.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2006, 01:17:16 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

The difference between Lee and Huff isn't as great as you'd imagine. Still, I'm hesitant to characterize the line-up at the end of the season as a division-winning line-up, vs. a line-up at mid-season that was a cellar-dwellar line-up, etc. It's not only a matter of personnel, it's a matter of how they're playing at a particular point in time.

I agree with you.  Huff was consistent and Scott was on fire.  But, my fear is that unless at least one other bat is added, say Huff for Ensberg, the offense won't be significantly better than last year.  This is what I'm seeing right now at the plate:

Taveras: similar in production to 2006
Biggio/Burke: no better than 2006
Berkman
Lee: consistent track record
Scott: no way he will hit over the course of 2007 like he did at the end of 2006 though he may hit well
Ensberg: no faith in his willingness to be a run producer
Everett: similar to 2006
Ausmus: no better than 2006

Do you disagree?  I like the Lee signing; I just don't see much improvement over late last season without more changes.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2006, 01:26:17 pm »
Quote:

I agree with you.  Huff was consistent and Scott was on fire.  But, my fear is that unless at least one other bat is added, say Huff for Ensberg, the offense won't be significantly better than last year.  This is what I'm seeing right now at the plate:

Berkman
Scott: no way he will hit over the course of 2007 like he did at the end of 2006 though he may hit well

Do you disagree?  I like the Lee signing; I just don't see much improvement over late last season without more changes.

I think I agree with all that. I do think if they keep Ensberg around they'd be much better off trying him at No. 2 rather than at No. 6.

schlumburger04

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2006, 01:34:55 pm »

Quote:

I'm not sure what you were looking for this offseason. If you were expecting to eliminate the so-called automatic outs -- I'm assuming Ausmus, Everett and to a lesser extent Biggio are in that group -- I think you were being unrealistic. I suspect if Purpura could've worked a deal to replace Taveras with Vernon Wells or Rocco Baldelli, he'd have done so.

im completely aware none of the the automatic outs will be replaced, and i never expected it to happen. the only point i was trying to make was that lee isnt going to improve the offense as much as people in this town think he will. and it appears that you would agree so i dont really know why we were argueing this

schlumburger04

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2006, 01:38:07 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

so if you werent joking, just go ahead and tell me what was so dumb about that post. id really like to hear why you think that alkie

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2006, 01:39:05 pm »
Quote:

Berkman

Thinking about it a little more, if they're able to bring back Huff, it might go something like this:

CF Taveras
RF Scott
1B Berkman
LF Lee
3B Huff
2B Biggio
SS Everett
C Ausmus

I'd be pretty pleased with that line-up, particularly with a bench of Lamb, Palmeiro, Burke and Bruntlett. Without Huff, I'd go:

CF Taveras
3B Ensberg
1B Berkman
LF Lee
RF Scott
2B Biggio
SS Everett
C Ausmus

Really, the difference is going to be how much better you think Huff would do over Ensberg.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2006, 01:41:56 pm »
Quote:

and it appears that you would agree so i dont really know why we were argueing this

I disagree with your assessment that this offense stinks. That struck me as an erroneously categorical statement.

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2006, 01:44:27 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Berkman

Thinking about it a little more, if they're able to bring back Huff, it might go something like this:

CF Taveras
RF Scott
1B Berkman
LF Lee
3B Huff
2B Biggio
SS Everett
C Ausmus

I'd be pretty pleased with that line-up, particularly with a bench of Lamb, Palmeiro, Burke and Bruntlett. Without Huff, I'd go:

CF Taveras
3B Ensberg
1B Berkman
LF Lee
RF Scott
2B Biggio
SS Everett
C Ausmus

Really, the difference is going to be how much better you think Huff would do over Ensberg.

I like the idea of having power on the bench from both sides of the plate with Lamb, and hopefully Lane.  Is there going to be room for Lane on the roster?

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2006, 01:47:38 pm »
Quote:

I like the idea of having power on the bench from both sides of the plate with Lamb, and hopefully Lane.  Is there going to be room for Lane on the roster?

I was wondering that too. If you have the eight starters, plus Lamb, Palmeiro, Bruntlett, Burke and a catcher on the bench, you're already up to 13 position players. Lane would make 14. And if they re-sign Huff and don't move Ensberg, then you're talking about 15. Of course, they saw good reason to hold onto Lane last year. So who gets cut?

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2006, 01:59:48 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

I was wondering that too. If you have the eight starters, plus Lamb, Palmeiro, Bruntlett, Burke and a catcher on the bench, you're already up to 13 position players. Lane would make 14. And if they re-sign Huff and don't move Ensberg, then you're talking about 15. Of course, they saw good reason to hold onto Lane last year. So who gets cut?

Well, I guess I'm assuming that Ensberg must find a new home if Huff is to be signed.  If Huff is signed then Ensberg is traded and you're looking at a coin toss between Palmeiro and Lane if you go with 13 postion players.  That's a tough call.  I like Palmeiro.  If you can afford to go with 14 position players then you can keep both.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2006, 02:08:32 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Berkman

CF Taveras
RF Scott
1B Berkman
LF Lee
3B Huff
2B Biggio
SS Everett
C Ausmus

CF Taveras
3B Ensberg
1B Berkman
LF Lee
RF Scott
2B Biggio
SS Everett
C Ausmus

I have little faith in Ensberg staying healthy all year.  So, I have little faith he'll provide anything offensively other than walking a lot.  I have faith that Huff would be at least as good as he was last year with the Astros.
Goin' for a bus ride.

WulawHorn

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2006, 07:55:49 pm »
I think that if your starting five is

Oswalt
Petitte
Williams
Hirsch
Clemens

you have enough innings there that you only need 11 pitchers.  That wouldn't likely be the rotation until june so who knows for the first 2 months.  Part of why we needed 12 pitchers was b/c we got so few innings with all the kids in the rotation at times when the team struggled.

D.WARD

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2006, 10:39:13 pm »
Do you not know when to shut up? If you don't like the Houston Astros, go be a Braves fan or something. Seriously, stop bitching about our line-up. They will be fine. If you remember correctly, we made it to the World Series just 1 year ago with a line up not that good. Of course we had a healthy Pettitte and Clemens all year. If they come back, what's to say that they aren't better than the World Series team 1 year ago? Just shut up and stop complaining you idiot.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2006, 11:20:37 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

so if you werent joking, just go ahead and tell me what was so dumb about that post. id really like to hear why you think that alkie

Hey Slumbooger, what the fuck is an "automatic out" huh? Define "automatic out" in terms of plate appearances and batting average, and other baseball kinds of shit. Do it!
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

schlumburger04

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2006, 11:38:57 pm »
ah, another person wanting to argue semantics.

no thanks, arky is atleast nice about things, you sound like a waste of time

pravata

« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2006, 12:15:04 am »
Quote:

Your barometer of veracity is who's NICE!?

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2006, 12:16:53 am »
Isn't that what OWA is about?  Astros fans getting together and talking nicely to each other about baseball?  Did I miss something?

pravata

« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2006, 12:21:16 am »
Quote:

Isn't that what OWA is about?  Astros fans getting together and talking nicely to each other about baseball?  Did I miss something?

It's a fucking tea party, and Polly Prissy Pants is pouring.  Mr Cartman, would you please pass the shut the fuck up biscuits, please?

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2006, 12:22:18 am »
Come on, pravata, be nice.  I just want to talk baseball with other nice people.  Stop calling me names, making fun of my ideas, and using my words against me.

I am not an animal.

pravata

« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2006, 12:23:52 am »
Quote:

Come on, pravata, be nice.  I just want to talk baseball with other nice people.  Stop calling me names, making fun of my ideas, and using my words against me.

I am not an animal.

You're not fooling anyone monkey boy.  I never thought I see the day that the words I type are taken to be the words I mean.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2006, 12:26:09 am »
I never liked you.  You're a meany.  

Have you seen JD Drew's VADR-6?

pravata

« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2006, 12:27:42 am »
Quote:

I never liked you.  You're a meany.  

Have you seen JD Drew's VADR-6?

Glad you could catch up, are those even real words?

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2006, 12:29:24 am »
JD Drew is an outfielder in MLB.  If you paid attention, you'd know that he's more valuable than Carlos Lee and Jason Schmidt.

VADR-6, I made up.  VADR-7 is the one that translates to win shares.

pravata

« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2006, 12:34:49 am »
Quote:

JD Drew is an outfielder in MLB.  If you paid attention, you'd know that he's more valuable than Carlos Lee and Jason Schmidt.

VADR-6, I made up.  VADR-7 is the one that translates to win shares.

Musbe one fancy stat if it can affect the game from the trainers room.  So would VADR-6 be tie-shares and do you have to listen to a 4 hour presentation to get one?

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 28, 2006, 12:41:09 am »
Let me explain how this works, dummy.

Players in MLB can easily be categorized using complex statistics.  These stats, which are based 100% on quantifiable skills and abilities, will show you how many "wins" each player is worth.

In this case, VADR-7 is shown thusly:

(Runs scored * walks * at bats) / Games played + Games won + (free throw % *.5)  

This will show, quite conclusively, how you can construct a team of players with a VADR-7 of 4-or-above and win 162 games.  

Money, the real world, and the fact that baseball players are carbon based lifeforms and not robots are irrelevant.  I can tell you using rate stats and VADR-7 how to put together a team of "automatic runs."  

Stick around, polesmoke, you might learn something.

pravata

« Reply #57 on: November 28, 2006, 12:48:00 am »
Quote:

Let me explain how this works, dummy.

Players in MLB can easily be categorized using complex statistics.  These stats, which are based 100% on quantifiable skills and abilities, will show you how many "wins" each player is worth.

In this case, VADR-7 is shown thusly:

(Runs scored * walks * at bats) / Games played + Games won + (free throw % *.5)  

This will show, quite conclusively, how you can construct a team of players with a VADR-7 of 4-or-above and win 162 games.  

Money, the real world, and the fact that baseball players are carbon based lifeforms and not robots are irrelevant.  I can tell you using rate stats and VADR-7 how to put together a team of "automatic runs."  

Stick around, polesmoke, you might learn something.

Robots.  Fheee.  What do you take me for.  I am well aware that robots have 2 arms and 2 legs.  What use is that in baseball?  Does a spread sheet have 2 arms and 2 legs?  And you call yourself an accountant.  For shame.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 28, 2006, 12:53:23 am »
I have NEVER called myself an accountant.

Here's a question for you OPS-geek, if offensive production is uber alles, why isn't Mike Lamb starting at 3B every game?  Why aren't we moving Lee to 2B or C?  

But again, we're just arguing semantics.

It's probably because most baseball people don't know as much about the sport as people like our new resident supergenius.

utastro

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 28, 2006, 01:24:18 am »
Quote:

Why aren't we moving Lee to 2B or C?  

Or Short! I hear thats the new it position to stick your power guy.
Oh God, I wish I was a loofah!

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2006, 09:14:15 am »
Quote:

Money, the real world, and the fact that baseball players are carbon based lifeforms and not robots are irrelevant.

I believe Lee is a lard-based lifeform.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 28, 2006, 09:35:30 am »
Quote:

Quote:

It's a fucking tea party, and Polly Prissy Pants is pouring.  Mr Cartman, would you please pass the shut the fuck up biscuits, please?

OWA Tea Party?
Always ready to go to a game.

Phil_in_CS

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 28, 2006, 09:39:01 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

OWA Tea Party?

You can't out youtube limey; he beat you with this one by a couple weeks.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2006, 10:18:02 am »
Quote:

I just figured anyone who throws around word combinations like "automatic out" has an idea what "automatic out" refers to. Not the first time I've been wrong.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2006, 10:32:13 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Why aren't we moving Lee to 2B or C?  

Or Short! I hear thats the new it position to stick your power guy.

If Carlos played short, the Astros would have to pay him more because his homeruns would be worth more.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

WulawHorn

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 28, 2006, 12:44:19 pm »
I was having a thought to myself the other day about offense v defense etc.

I thought the best way to figure this out would be this:

If albert pujols offered to play for the Astros at the same price as adam everett, but on the condition that you could only have his bat in the lineup if he played SS, would you agree to his condition?

Pujols is a thick fella, not particularly quick I wouldn't think, but a decent athlete (even played some 3b and left field many moons ago).  Obviously the best hitter of this generation.  Probably as ill suited to playing SS as anyone I could figure in baseball that isn't just a fat tub of goo.

I don't know how I feel. He's obviously going to add a ton of runs to the lineup over everett. Your pitchers are obviously going to give up a lot more runs on balls he doesn't get to, balls he kicks, goofs, throws away etc.

I'd like to see it in the real world. Maybe LeGenius could try it?  

I really think Pujols has to be worth at 100 more runs a year than everett offensively. Could he really be 100 runs worse (an unfathonably huge number) than everett if asked to play ss?  Does it really matter if he's 100 runs worse (many here- with some justification I believe) believe preventing runs is more important that creating them (in other words a lot of that 100 runs he's better offensively than everett would translate into bigger margins but not necessarily more victories).

I don't know.  Just thinking that would be the most radical example I could think of.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 28, 2006, 12:52:21 pm »
Quote:

I know that your comment is somewhat tongue in cheek, but La Genius did start McTweet at 2B and bat him lead-off.  More than once.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 28, 2006, 12:56:17 pm »
Quote:

If albert pujols offered to play for the Astros at the same price as adam everett, but on the condition that you could only have his bat in the lineup if he played SS, would you agree to his condition?

Pujols is a thick fella, not particularly quick I wouldn't think, but a decent athlete (even played some 3b and left field many moons ago).  Obviously the best hitter of this generation.  Probably as ill suited to playing SS as anyone I could figure in baseball that isn't just a fat tub of goo.

I don't know how I feel. He's obviously going to add a ton of runs to the lineup over everett. Your pitchers are obviously going to give up a lot more runs on balls he doesn't get to, balls he kicks, goofs, throws away etc.

I really think Pujols has to be worth at 100 more runs a year than everett offensively. Could he really be 100 runs worse (an unfathonably huge number) than everett if asked to play ss?  Does it really matter if he's 100 runs worse (many here- with some justification I believe) believe preventing runs is more important that creating them (in other words a lot of that 100 runs he's better offensively than everett would translate into bigger margins but not necessarily more victories).

I don't know.  Just thinking that would be the most radical example I could think of.

I think you underestimate just how many more runs/big innings this would give up.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 28, 2006, 01:20:51 pm »
Quote:

The offensive difference between Pujols and Everett last year was roughly 100 runs.

Last season Everett had 688 total chances -- 202 putouts, 479 assists -- and turned 105 double players. He made seven errors.

The ML leader in errors at shortstop makes about 30 errors in a typical season. I can envision Pujols easily making twice that many, and that's without considering balls he doesn't get to that don't count as errors and double plays not made.

The cost of players reaching base on unmade plays would on average be worth something like half a run. The cost of extra bases advanced on errors would on average be worth around a third of a run. And none of this considers the additional cost of giving the other team four or five rather than three outs in an inning or the pitchers having to throw extra pitches to work through it.

So, yeah, I can see that approaching or overcoming the 100-run offensive difference.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 28, 2006, 01:33:04 pm »
To give an idea of the potential cost of an error or unmade play, consider the following: Assuming nobody on base, an error or unmade play improves the other team's run potential as follows:
Result              0 Out  1 Out  2 Out
---------------------------------------
Batter Reaches 1st  0.534  0.383  0.209
Batter Reaches 2nd  0.819  0.604  0.348
Batter Reaches 3rd  1.028  0.802  0.382
In other words, an error (or non-play) with no outs that allows the batter to reach first results in the other team scoring an average of 0.534 runs, an error (or non-play) with no outs that allows the batter to reach second results in the other team scoring an average of 0.819 runs and an error (or non-play) that allows the batter to reach third results in the other team scoring an average of 1.028 runs.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #70 on: November 28, 2006, 01:37:18 pm »
Quote:

To give an idea of the potential cost of an error or unmade play, consider the following: Assuming nobody on base, an error or unmade play improves the other team's run potential as follows:
Result              0 Out  1 Out  2 Out
---------------------------------------
Batter Reaches 1st  0.534  0.383  0.209
Batter Reaches 2nd  0.819  0.604  0.348
Batter Reaches 3rd  1.028  0.802  0.382
In other words, an error (or non-play) with no outs that allows the batter to reach first results in the other team scoring an average of 0.534 runs, an error (or non-play) with no outs that allows the batter to reach second results in the other team scoring an average of 0.819 runs and an error (or non-play) that allows the batter to reach third results in the other team scoring an average of 1.028 runs.

Is that same analysis available based on the 2006 Astros alone?
Purity of Essence

WulawHorn

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2006, 01:45:35 pm »
OK so adam everett gets credit for 1/2 of a run for every play he makes that Pujols does not.  Quick and dirty.  Pujols is 100 runs better at the plate, so AE would have to make 200 plays over the course of a season that Pujols could not.  Figure 5 plays every four days.  I guess that seems plausible that AE can make on average of a little more than one play a game than Pujols can.  

The pitching staff would want to murder Pujols at SS.  There would probably be a revolt.  I'd still kinda like to see it to see how it would play out.

As an aside- I don't think Pujols would make 60 E6's a year.  I think he probably makes about the league high of 30.  I think where you really get killed is the plays he can't make, and as mentioned above the big innings and extra pitches.  If he doesn't get to a bunch of balls- which I think is likely, he has fewer chances to make errors (duh). So even if his percentage of errors is way higher than the "worst" SS for total errors he has many fewer chances, so less total errors.

Like I said- it would be fun to see (as long as it wasn't my team).  

Again- I don't think that W's work out that +100 in runs is equal to 100 more runs given up.  I think that a defensive/pitching oriented team is better than a mashing team, b/c you cluster your runs together in 8, 9 and 10 run outbursts, but if you are giving up 6 or 7 a game you are in trouble.

No? in Austin

« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2006, 01:56:48 pm »
This is too singular of an analysis.  What Everett provides in runs saved cannot be measured in it's entirety.  Say it's two outs and Everett fails to make a play at short to allow the inning to continue.  He is now on the hook for the single run he's allowed if the other team scores that player.  But if the inning continues and it's a monstrousity of an inning where the other team scores 10 runs does that mean Everett allowe ten runs on his own?  Well had he made the final out as a shortstop should, he can save the team those ten runs, however how in the world would anybody be able to tell he actually *saved* ten runs from scoring that inning instead of one?

You can't.

That is why you value outs for the sake of getting the other team back on the field and not for the runs scored theorum.  IMHO of course.  Also a big reason to keep away from valuing Defense because of the Offense provided and vice versa.  You can't measure defense in it's entirety... you must measure defense on it's own merit and leave it at that.

Foghorn

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2006, 02:29:38 pm »
Quote:

This is too singular of an analysis.  What Everett provides in runs saved cannot be measured in it's entirety.  Say it's two outs and Everett fails to make a play at short to allow the inning to continue.  He is now on the hook for the single run he's allowed if the other team scores that player.  But if the inning continues and it's a monstrousity of an inning where the other team scores 10 runs does that mean Everett allowe ten runs on his own?  Well had he made the final out as a shortstop should, he can save the team those ten runs, however how in the world would anybody be able to tell he actually *saved* ten runs from scoring that inning instead of one?

You can't.

That is why you value outs for the sake of getting the other team back on the field and not for the runs scored theorum.  IMHO of course.  Also a big reason to keep away from valuing Defense because of the Offense provided and vice versa.  You can't measure defense in it's entirety... you must measure defense on it's own merit and leave it at that.

Nobody has ever failed to win a pennant because of an excellent defensive SS who still manages to hit 230+.
You see pal, that's who I am, and you're nothing. Nice guy, I don't give a shit. Good father, fuck you. Go home and play with your kids. You wanna work here, close. You think this is abuse? You think this is abuse, you cocksucker? You can't take this, how can you take the abuse you get on a sit?

pravata

« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2006, 02:33:27 pm »
Quote:

...As an aside- I don't think Pujols would make 60 E6's a year.  I think he probably makes about the league high of 30.  I think where you really get killed is the plays he can't make, and as mentioned above the big innings and extra pitches.  ...

Consider that hitting the ball up the middle is the "easiest" way to make contact.  A shortstop with limited range lets those go through for a single all day.  Think what that does to the hitters approach and to the pitch selection for the pitcher.  Counting errors is the least part of it.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2006, 02:55:21 pm »
Quote:

You can't.

That is why you value outs for the sake of getting the other team back on the field and not for the runs scored theorum.  IMHO of course.

This is spot on why it gets indeterminate -- the so-called opening of the floodgates. That being said, here are what the averages suggest:

Failure to make third out leads to an average number of this many runs with runners on these bases:

0.095  Runner left on 1st
0.209  Runner left on 1st
0.348  Runner left on 2nd
0.382  Runner left on 3rd
0.457  Runners left on 1st and 2nd
0.494  Runners left on 1st and 3rd
0.661  Runners left on 2nd and 3rd
0.796  Runners left on 1st, 2nd and 3rd

In other words, failing to get that third out and thereby leaving the bases loaded would lead, on average, to the other team scoring 0.796 runs in the rest of the inning.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 28, 2006, 02:56:48 pm »
Quote:

Is that same analysis available based on the 2006 Astros alone?

I'm sure somebody has it, but I don't. In fact, these numbers are very old, from the mid-80s:

The Link

I used to have some from the late '90s, but I can't find them.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 28, 2006, 03:01:15 pm »
Quote:

As an aside- I don't think Pujols would make 60 E6's a year.  I think he probably makes about the league high of 30.  I think where you really get killed is the plays he can't make, and as mentioned above the big innings and extra pitches.  If he doesn't get to a bunch of balls- which I think is likely, he has fewer chances to make errors (duh). So even if his percentage of errors is way higher than the "worst" SS for total errors he has many fewer chances, so less total errors.

I think the unmade plays would be most critical too, but I think you may be overlooking the number of throws that might sail over the first baseman's head, bounce into first base, pull the first baseman off the bag, etc. These throwing errors would add to the errors resulting from booted, bobbled and misplayed balls.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 28, 2006, 03:41:04 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

I think the unmade plays would be most critical too, but I think you may be overlooking the number of throws that might sail over the first baseman's head, bounce into first base, pull the first baseman off the bag, etc. These throwing errors would add to the errors resulting from booted, bobbled and misplayed balls.

I'd like to see his footwork around the bag when turning a double play; that could be amusing.

If only The Tank Commander would undertake this experiment for the benefit and enlightenment of us all!
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 28, 2006, 03:42:08 pm »
Quote:

Nobody has ever failed to win a pennant because of an excellent defensive SS who still manages to hit 230+.

Ummm ... How would you back that claim up?  There are plenty of teams who failed to win a pennant and also had an excellent defensive SS who hit .230+ ... Just to choose one at random, how about the 2006 Astros?

Don;t get me wrong ... I want AE at SS as long as possible, regardless of his bat, but I do not see how your claim can even be tested, much less proven.
Up in the Air

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 28, 2006, 03:51:45 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Ummm ... How would you back that claim up?  There are plenty of teams who failed to win a pennant and also had an excellent defensive SS who hit .230+ ... Just to choose one at random, how about the 2006 Astros?

Don;t get me wrong ... I want AE at SS as long as possible, regardless of his bat, but I do not see how your claim can even be tested, much less proven.

I think you're confusing "because" with "with."
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2006, 01:31:52 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Nope.

Claim was that no team has failed to win the pennant because of X.  To verify that claim you would either need to show that either (a) X was never true of a team that failed to win the pennant, or (b) when X was true of a team that failed to win the pennant, no alternative to X (all other things being equal) would have resulted in that team winning the pennant.

I do not believe this is a testable assertion.
Up in the Air

Foghorn

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2006, 03:33:07 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Nope.

Claim was that no team has failed to win the pennant because of X.  To verify that claim you would either need to show that either (a) X was never true of a team that failed to win the pennant, or (b) when X was true of a team that failed to win the pennant, no alternative to X (all other things being equal) would have resulted in that team winning the pennant.

Nah, its testable. But you'd need someone a lot smarter than you or I to do it.  

Basically, there is a tradeoff that is made.  How much offense are you willing to sacrifice for defense?  You wouldn't want Berkman at SS because he'd allow as many runs to score as he was driving in.  At the same time, you wouldn't want Adam Everett at 1B because he doesn't hit enough for the position.

So there is a point where no matter how good a player is offensively, the defensive liability is too great.  And vice versa.

Has there ever been a gold glove caliber SS who lost his job mid-season because he was only hitting .240?  

Mark Belanger in his prime often hit below .230, but he kept going out there cause he was a wizard with the glove.  Ozzie Smith was making All Star teams while hitting below .230 and was receiving votes for MVP when he hit .248.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2006, 10:34:20 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Nope.

Nah, its testable. But you'd need someone a lot smarter than you or I to do it.  

Basically, there is a tradeoff that is made.  How much offense are you willing to sacrifice for defense?  You wouldn't want Berkman at SS because he'd allow as many runs to score as he was driving in.  At the same time, you wouldn't want Adam Everett at 1B because he doesn't hit enough for the position.

So there is a point where no matter how good a player is offensively, the defensive liability is too great.  And vice versa.

Has there ever been a gold glove caliber SS who lost his job mid-season because he was only hitting .240?  

Mark Belanger in his prime often hit below .230, but he kept going out there cause he was a wizard with the glove.  Ozzie Smith was making All Star teams while hitting below .230 and was receiving votes for MVP when he hit .248.

All of which I agree with.  But my claim remains unaddressed.  To use your less recent example, how would you go about demonstrating that one of those Baltimore teams with Belanger would have won the pennant if only they had replaced him at short?  If it were possible to demonstrate that, then the original claim (which was the opposite) would have been disproved.  It would have been shown that the Orioles lost the penant precisely because they insisted on trotting out an all-glove, no-bat SS.  But I claim there is *no way* to go through that exercise whether the outcome would lend or detract credence.  And your additional example does not address that.

By the way, I'm a Ray Oyler fan.  Look him up.  He makes AE look like a batting champ.  I think SS is a position where defense comes first, last and always.  Any offense is a bonus.
Up in the Air

mihoba

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • R.I.P. Mike. The boy inside you is now free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 29, 2006, 11:12:48 am »
Quote:

By the way, I'm a Ray Oyler fan.  Look him up.  He makes AE look like a batting champ.  I think SS is a position where defense comes first, last and always.  Any offense is a bonus.

I don't have to look him up, but I do remember Tigers manager Mayo Smith replacing him with (normal CF) Mickey Stanley for the '68 series.

BTW, I'm in the SS defense group, too.
"Baseball is simply a better game without the DH. "

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 29, 2006, 12:19:25 pm »
Quote:

I'm not sure. The better question is whether there've been Gold Glove-caliber shortstops who've not hit well enough to stay in a major-league line-up regularly.

Quote:

In his best seasons, though, Smith also had some pretty useful offensive skills -- hitting doubles, drawing walks, stealing bases -- to go with his defensive skills.

The question of Belanger is a bit of chicken and egg, isn't it? He helped make those Orioles teams great, but then the Orioles had enough firepower in their line-up to be able to hide his bat toward the bottom of the order. Also, if you look at Belanger's season-by-season stats, you'll note that the seasons in which he got the most at-bats were his better offensive seasons.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 29, 2006, 12:41:49 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

I don't have to look him up, but I do remember Tigers manager Mayo Smith replacing him with (normal CF) Mickey Stanley for the '68 series.

Me too ... I was really concerned about defense, but Mickey did OK ... And it allowed them to get Northrup, Horton & Kaline in the OF together for just about the first time all season.  Even in the 'year of the pitcher', though, a .135 aberage was tough to watch.
Up in the Air

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 29, 2006, 12:50:39 pm »
Quote:

I'm not sure. The better question is whether there've been Gold Glove-caliber shortstops who've not hit well enough to stay in a major-league line-up regularly.

What's Rey Ordonez doing these days?
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

No? in Austin

« Reply #88 on: November 29, 2006, 01:29:22 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

What's Rey Ordonez doing these days?

The irony of this is that Rey Ordonez was anything *but* a great... heck, even a good defensive shortsop!

schlumburger04

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 30, 2006, 08:29:57 pm »

Quote:

well ive been gone for a couple days and im not surprised this hasnt been answered

Señor Stan

• It's a plethora!
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2006, 08:54:02 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

well ive been gone for a couple days and im not surprised this hasnt been answered

How's that ankle taste?

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 30, 2006, 09:08:30 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

You made Alkie's head explode.  His hands are still typing, but it's just a reflex.

schlumburger04

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 30, 2006, 09:22:50 pm »
ok it all makes sense now

JackAstro

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2006, 02:25:04 am »
Quote:

Quote:

We all thought it was a rhetorical post.

The shift key is next to the z or the /. The apostrophe is next to the return key. You'll find the comma next to the period. I have no idea how to tell you where to go looking for the clue, but keep digging, by all means. Happy trolling, hope you catch something.
"We live in a society of laws. Why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies? For fun? Well, I didn't hear anybody laughing, did you?"
Say hi on the Twitter

schlumburger04

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 01, 2006, 03:17:40 am »
your extensive knowledge of the keyboard doesnt impress me

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2006, 07:37:53 am »

Quote:

well ive been gone for a couple days  

tryacoupleofyearsnexttime
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

strosrays

« Reply #96 on: December 01, 2006, 10:49:29 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Me too ... I was really concerned about defense, but Mickey did OK ... And it allowed them to get Northrup, Horton & Kaline in the OF together for just about the first time all season.  Even in the 'year of the pitcher', though, a .135 aberage was tough to watch.

I'm not disputing you or mihoba's accounts of this.  Just to put a fine point on  it, though, your assertion about getting four outfielders into the lineup was the real main reason Mayo moved Stanley.  In the pre-DH days, Smith weighed his options, and decided Oyler's defense was worth sacrificing for an extra bat.  History has simplified it so Stanley replaced Oyler, but Stanley was going to play anyway.  More likely it was Kaline who replaced Oyler.

A couple of other things. . . it was a defensive loss for  Detroit on a couple of fronts, because Stanley was possibly the best defensive CF in the AL at the time.  Northrup moved to CF, and he was a good OF, and Kaline was also very good, taking Northrup's place in RF.  That was probably an even swap defensively at that point.  But Northrup taking over CF from Stanley was a slight downgrade.

Also, Ray Oyler's .135 average is now infamous, but some may wonder, Why didn't Mayo just replace him with a better hitting SS?  My guess is because his options were Dick Tracewski and Tommy Matchick.  During the regular season, Oyler started 70 games at SS, hitting (quote-unquote) .135/.213/.186.  Matchick started 48 games there, putting up a relatively gaudy .203/.248/.286.  And Tracewski started 36 games, going .156/.239/.236.  So the offensive black hole at SS was a cumulative effort.

Mayo didn't just pull the Stanley-at-SS idea out of his ass, exactly.  He had Stanley starting there the last week or so of the regular season.  And as sometimes happens, he fell in love with his brilliant short-term strategy a little too much, perhaps; because he had Stanley starting at short another 60 games in 1969.  Oyler had by then gone in the expansion draft to the Seattle Pilots (and Ball Four fame), but Matchick and Tracewski were still around.  But it was Stanley who was the Tigers everyday SS for the first 2 1/2 months of the 1969 season.  He moved back to CF once Tom Tresh was acquired from the Yankees.

The Tigers full-time 3B in 1968 was Don Wert, also a defensive whiz.  His offensive contribution that season, in 536 ABs, was .200/.258/.299.  At third base.  It was the whole left side of the infield that was an offensive deficit in '68, which of course did not keep Detroit from winning it all.

I once got into a discussion about which pre-DH AL teams (1960-1972 -- the DH was inflicted on MLB in 1973, of course) were "hurt" most by not having a DH rule.  There were several candidates, including the 1968 Tigers, who in addition to four "starting" OFs in Horton, Stanley, Northrup and Kaline also had a fifth guy, Gates Brown, who was a pretty good hitter.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2006, 11:12:09 am »
A few other things about Oyler:

1) He played in the lowest-scoring environment since the Dead Ball Era.

2) He only had 247 plate appearances in 1968.

3) He lasted just six seasons, being out of the majors by age 31.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2006, 11:22:33 am »
if this bullshit does not get you banned, nothing will. the fact that you are still posting is the best proof possible that i am not Spack.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

JackAstro

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #99 on: December 01, 2006, 11:24:01 am »
Quote:

I looked down at the keyboard and thought about it before I typed. You should try sometime.
"We live in a society of laws. Why do you think I took you to all those Police Academy movies? For fun? Well, I didn't hear anybody laughing, did you?"
Say hi on the Twitter

Phil_in_CS

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2006, 11:32:11 am »
Quote:

Quote:

I looked down at the keyboard and thought about it before I typed. You should try sometime.

Thinking before posting is a good idea in general....

JackAstro

• View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2006, 12:08:50 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thinking before posting is a good idea in general....

That's what I was driving at - I need to stop being vague. And I need more coffee.
Say hi on the Twitter

geezerdonk

• a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2006, 12:57:44 pm »
Quote:

The Tigers full-time 3B in 1968 was Don Wert, also a defensive whiz.

He also has the best pre or post Berman stupid referential nickname - Don "bird thou never" Wert - courtesy of Dick Schaap or some other SI writer.
E come vivo? Vivo.

strosrays

« Reply #103 on: December 01, 2006, 02:49:22 pm »
Quote:

A few other things about Oyler:

1) He played in the lowest-scoring environment since the Dead Ball Era.

2) He only had 247 plate appearances in 1968.

3) He lasted just six seasons, being out of the majors by age 31.

Oyler died young, too.

That Tigers team could go with Oyler/Matchick/Tracewski at short and Wert at 3B for one thing because they were above average to way above average offensively at almost every other position (though McAuliffe and Cash usually had sizable platoon splits.)  And besides perhaps Horton, most of them were good to very good defensively, as well.  I have wondered, not second-guessing at all, but just out of curiosity, if Mayo really needed to make so drastic a move as moving Stanley to SS at the end of that season.  Though in retrospect, the Cards looked very scary going in, and almost everyone had them as favorites in the Series.

No one was counting on the Mickey Lolich Factor, I don't think.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 01, 2006, 06:05:26 pm »
Quote:

Oyler died young, too.

That Tigers team could go with Oyler/Matchick/Tracewski at short and Wert at 3B for one thing because they were above average to way above average offensively at almost every other position (though McAuliffe and Cash usually had sizable platoon splits.)  And besides perhaps Horton, most of them were good to very good defensively, as well.  I have wondered, not second-guessing at all, but just out of curiosity, if Mayo really needed to make so drastic a move as moving Stanley to SS at the end of that season.  Though in retrospect, the Cards looked very scary going in, and almost everyone had them as favorites in the Series.

No one was counting on the Mickey Lolich Factor, I don't think.

Ah, Norm Cash. First among equals in the pool of the great underrated. I didn't know until just now that he went to Sul Ross.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 01, 2006, 06:06:09 pm »
Cash died at 51.

strosrays

« Reply #106 on: December 01, 2006, 06:54:35 pm »
Quote:

Cash died at 51.

Yep.  Fell off a fishing pier in Lake Michigan and drowned.

Another characteristic of the Tigers teams we're talking about was reportedly was a healthy affection for quaffing a few cold ones now and then.  Many of them played together for a long time, and developed relationships centered partly around boozing it up after games and on the road.  At one point a few years after the championship all the planets aligned and you had a team managed by Billy Martin, with Art Fowler as pitching coach (of course) and Joe "Let's Pound Some Budweiser" Schultz as third base coach.  Other notable imbibers on the team were Cash and both Browns (Gates and Ike), Frank Howard, Mickey Lolich, and Duke Sims, among others.

I've never seen a concise account of the circumstances surrounding Cash's death, but naturally enough for some it was believed, as they say, that alcohol was involved.

I once went looking for Cash's hometown of Justiceburg because I'd never heard of it.  On the map it was not too far outside Lubbock, and at the time on of my brothers was in law school there, so while I was visiting once we went to check it out.

The place was literally a ghost town, with tumbleweeds blowing down main street and everything.  There were some farms nearby, but the town itself was apparently abandoned.  Later someone told me the railroad had bypassed the place in the '40's, and it went into a long decline.

I remember thinking at the time that Cash was gone, and now there wasn't even anyone left in his hometown to remember him.  I was actually kind of sad about it; though it should be said that, like Norm Cash allegedly was on the pier that afternoon, my bro and I had hosed down a reasonable number of cold ones while out exploring that day.

I think it was Bill James who wrote that Cash was a very good example of a guy who obviously and purposefully adapted to his surroundings.  He was basically and all fields hitter when he came up with the White Sox, and presumably thru 1961, but once he got familiar with Tiger Stadium, he bacame almost exclusively a dead pull fly ball hitter.

With that short porch and overhanging second deck in RF, not too bad of an idea.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 01, 2006, 08:27:28 pm »
Quote:

Yep.  Fell off a fishing pier in Lake Michigan and drowned.

Another characteristic of the Tigers teams we're talking about was reportedly was a healthy affection for quaffing a few cold ones now and then.  Many of them played together for a long time, and developed relationships centered partly around boozing it up after games and on the road.  At one point a few years after the championship all the planets aligned and you had a team managed by Billy Martin, with Art Fowler as pitching coach (of course) and Joe "Let's Pound Some Budweiser" Schultz as third base coach.  Other notable imbibers on the team were Cash and both Browns (Gates and Ike), Frank Howard, Mickey Lolich, and Duke Sims, among others.

I've never seen a concise account of the circumstances surrounding Cash's death, but naturally enough for some it was believed, as they say, that alcohol was involved.

I once went looking for Cash's hometown of Justiceburg because I'd never heard of it.  On the map it was not too far outside Lubbock, and at the time on of my brothers was in law school there, so while I was visiting once we went to check it out.

The place was literally a ghost town, with tumbleweeds blowing down main street and everything.  There were some farms nearby, but the town itself was apparently abandoned.  Later someone told me the railroad had bypassed the place in the '40's, and it went into a long decline.

I remember thinking at the time that Cash was gone, and now there wasn't even anyone left in his hometown to remember him.  I was actually kind of sad about it; though it should be said that, like Norm Cash allegedly was on the pier that afternoon, my bro and I had hosed down a reasonable number of cold ones while out exploring that day.

I think it was Bill James who wrote that Cash was a very good example of a guy who obviously and purposefully adapted to his surroundings.  He was basically and all fields hitter when he came up with the White Sox, and presumably thru 1961, but once he got familiar with Tiger Stadium, he bacame almost exclusively a dead pull fly ball hitter.

With that short porch and overhanging second deck in RF, not too bad of an idea.

It's a sign of a crafty player to adjust to the circumstances like that. Clearly Biggio has figured out that he has just enough pop left to hit the first few rows of the Crawford Boxes. Didn't Roger Maris become adept at pulling the ball down the line in Yankee Stadium?

Speaking of baseball locations in Texas, Rogers Hornsby is buried somewhere around Austin, but I've never been able to figure out where. I think SABR has a committee devoted to tracking down gravesites of former players.

Cash wasn't the only old-timer to die in a fishing accident.

strosrays

« Reply #108 on: December 02, 2006, 04:25:12 pm »
Quote:

Speaking of baseball locations in Texas, Rogers Hornsby is buried somewhere around Austin, but I've never been able to figure out where. I think SABR has a committee devoted to tracking down gravesites of former players.

Rogers Hornsby -- 23 years infielder, 13 years manager, Hall of Fame. (b. 27 Apr 1896 Winters, TX - d. 5 Jan 1963 Wesley Memorial Hospital, Chicago, IL)  It is said he was the greatest right-handed hitter in the game.  Died from a heart condition that developed following surgery to remove a cataract four weeks earlier.  Buried Hornsby Bend Cemetery, Austin, TX.

Baseball Necrology, Bill Lee. (2003)  ISBN 0-7864-1539-8  McFarland & Co., Inc. p. 189.

This book is great for just browsing through, by the way.  Author Bill Lee (not the pitcher) is from Harlingen, I believe.

Rogers Hornsby's headstone

Hornsby Bend Cemetery is located off FM 969 E (E. MLK Blvd.), east of Austin. Located near Hornsby Bend on a path that is off FM 969 about 300 feet to the west. The cemetery is located at the end of this path about 3000 feet south of FM 969. The turn off for this path is marked by a highway sign. There is a THC marker at this cemetery. .5 miles west of the intersection of FM 973 and FM 969, on the south side of FM 969. Manor Quad, 3097-241.

mihoba

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • R.I.P. Mike. The boy inside you is now free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 05, 2006, 03:38:40 pm »
The Baseball Almanac has the HOF graves (several with pics)  here.

I have drove right past Hornsby's grave, but never stopped. I have visited Tris Speaker's marker in Hubbard.
"Baseball is simply a better game without the DH. "