Author Topic: "16 Worst Dressed Teams"  (Read 2550 times)

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
"16 Worst Dressed Teams"
« on: November 21, 2006, 05:52:24 pm »
It's a slow news day (get to work, Tim).  Si.com lists its 16 worst dressed professional teams, dominated by hockey and football.  Three baseball uniforms get mentioned: Tampa Bay, the Mets, and your Atlanta Braves (red unis).

No mention of Drayton's favorites, the Astros pinstripes.
Purity of Essence

Golden Sombrero

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
Re: "16 Worst Dressed Teams"
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 06:11:10 pm »
Quote:

It's a slow news day (get to work, Tim).  Si.com lists its 16 worst dressed professional teams, dominated by hockey and football.  Three baseball uniforms get mentioned: Tampa Bay, the Mets, and your Atlanta Braves (red unis).

I saw that.  Honestly I don't think most of the unis are that bad.  But then I'm not known for a killer fashion sense.
Strikeout Machine

strosrays

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 06:32:52 pm »
Quote:

I believe the Rays original color scheme was supposed to approximate the rainbow sheen on a fish.  It might be instructive to remember fish don't generally acquire this coloration until they are (very) dead.

I never could figure out what the Diamondbacks' uniforms were supposed to represent.  Aside from the fact purple and teal together are I believe against the law (except possibly in N. California), they don't look like any snake I've ever seen.  Too bad, they could've had some really distinctive togs, maybe a diamond-check pattern all over, accented with a snakeskin hat, belt and shoes. . .

BTW, the top 10 or 50 places on the list should be reserved for any football team, college or pro, that wears dark pants with dark jerseys.  Goddammit, that just brings out the Isaac Mizrahi in me.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 09:52:31 pm »
Quote:

. .

BTW, the top 10 or 50 places on the list should be reserved for any football team, college or pro, that wears dark pants with dark jerseys.  Goddammit, that just brings out the Isaac Mizrahi in me.

I think the worst all-time has got to be a dead heat between the original early 60's Denver Broncos and the Charley-Finley era Oakland (Circus) Athletics.  (Does anyone else remember the elephant balanced on the ball?)
Up in the Air

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 09:57:24 pm »
Quote:

I think the worst all-time has got to be a dead heat between the original early 60's Denver Broncos and the Charley-Finley era Oakland (Circus) Athletics.  (Does anyone else remember the elephant balanced on the ball?)

You mean the elephant on the ball that's still on their jerseys to this day?
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 09:59:17 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

You mean the elephant on the ball that's still on their jerseys to this day?

Oops.  I don't get out much I guess.  Did they bring it back, or am I even more clueless than I realized.  (And yes, I recognize that that was not actually a disjoint proposition.)  I plead too much research on the beer thread.
Up in the Air

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 10:02:33 pm »
Quote:

Oops.  I don't get out much I guess.  Did they bring it back, or am I even more clueless than I realized.  (And yes, I recognize that that was not actually a disjoint proposition.)  I plead too much research on the beer thread.

The White Elephant was the symbol/mascot of the A's since Day 1 in 1901.  The irony of your original statement was that it was featured prominantly up *until* the Charley Finley era.  Finley got rid of the elephant.  The elephant was brought back sometime in the early 80's, I believe.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2006, 10:55:24 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

The White Elephant was the symbol/mascot of the A's since Day 1 in 1901.  The irony of your original statement was that it was featured prominantly up *until* the Charley Finley era.  Finley got rid of the elephant.  The elephant was brought back sometime in the early 80's, I believe.

Right ... It was when they got rid of the circus elephant and dressed the players like curcus clowns that they got my vote for "worst dressed".  Somehow I missed that they brought the elephant back.
Up in the Air