Author Topic: Ask And Ye Shall Maybe Receive: Season 2, Vol 7.  (Read 23227 times)

Jacksonian

• Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
Ask And Ye Shall Maybe Receive: Season 2, Vol 7.
« on: July 11, 2006, 11:32:52 am »
Past due for a new thread.  The MLB All-Star Break seems like as good a time as any.

It would appear that many of you have forgotten that Greg has been doing a yeoman's job of updating the Astros minor league transactions.  I wanted to give kudos to him and a reminder to all that you need to check  the By the Numbers forum daily to see if there has been an update to the transactions thread.  Greg puts the latest date of update in the Transaction thread title line.
Goin' for a bus ride.

matadorph

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: Options and the 40-man roster
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2006, 05:35:47 pm »
Where can I find information about which current Astros have options remaining? Also, which Astros prospects do you expect   the team to protect on the 40-man roster later this year and which do you see them exposing to the Rule V draft? Barthmeier? Paulino? Jimerson?

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2006, 06:19:21 pm »
Quote:

Where can I find information about which current Astros have options remaining? Also, which Astros prospects do you expect   the team to protect on the 40-man roster later this year and which do you see them exposing to the Rule V draft? Barthmeier? Paulino? Jimerson?

That is difficult as the Astros could deal anyone this year to get help for the big club.  Also, there are a lot of players on the 40-man this year who could be off it this winter due to expired contracts or generally crappy play.
Goin' for a bus ride.

matadorph

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2006, 06:29:51 pm »
Yeah I guess that's an impossible question to answer at this point.

How about this one: for the purposes of roster moves and Rule 5 protection, what constitutes a year of pro ball? Is it a season of minor-league ball or a full calendar year from the time the player signs his first pro contract?

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2006, 06:45:10 pm »
Quote:

Yeah I guess that's an impossible question to answer at this point.

How about this one: for the purposes of roster moves and Rule 5 protection, what constitutes a year of pro ball? Is it a season of minor-league ball or a full calendar year from the time the player signs his first pro contract?

For Rule 5 it's not seasons.  It's when signed and age at signing that matter. (Scroll down to the bottom).  So, guys like Pence, Zobrist, Reineke and the rest of the college players from the 04 draft who signed in 04 would be eligible for the Rule 5 draft.
Goin' for a bus ride.

matadorph

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 07:58:39 pm »
so by virtue of his September 1985 birthday the Astros don't have to worry about putting Patton on the 40-man until November 2007?

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 12:01:23 am »
Quote:

so by virtue of his September 1985 birthday the Astros don't have to worry about putting Patton on the 40-man until November 2007?

And, that he signed before his 19th birthday in 2004. That's how I understand it.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
Brad James - didn't see this coming
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 04:46:13 pm »
Today, James followed up his almost no hitter with 6 innings of shutout ball allowing 3h & 3BB's while striking out 4, while the Legends smashed Delmarva 13 - 0.  

Quite honestly, this suprises me.  Brad pitched in Greeneville for two seasons and had ERA's well over 4 (4.44 & 4.97).  Any ideas on what he has worked on that has helped him step up to this level?  I hope it is more than a hot streak.
Always ready to go to a game.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
Re: Ask And Ye Shall Maybe Receive: Season 2, Vol 7.
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 04:57:21 pm »
I wanted to weigh in here on the Huff deal from the minors side.  

It was obvious that the Astros did not value Zobrist the way some of the fans did.  He is an average defender which IMO isn't good enough for the Astros.  He can hit, but he's still too advanced for AA ball.  If he can hit major league pitching, he looks like a utility player in the future.  He might get a shot at second base depending on the team's need.

Talbot has good stuff.  His changeup is stunning. He's got a low-90's fastball and an ok breaking pitch.  He can pitch very well, but he has not been consistent enough to be considered a top level pitching prospect.  It's that lack of consistency that will keep him from a major league starting rotation.  If nothing changes, I'd expect him to be a bullpen member.  At very best he'd be a 3 or 4 starter similar to Backe.  Today, I'd say #5/middle reliever is the safest bet.

The Astros get 1/2 year of Huff right now.  If he hits in the second half, the Astros already have won this deal. They get first crack at a new contract for him.  If he doesn't sign and the Astros offer him arb, I'd expect him to get an A rating as a free-agent.  That would mean the Astros would get a first or supplemental first rounder and second or third rounder from the team signing him.

All that for Zobrist and Talbot.  If Huff hits, this deal looks like a real winner for the Astros.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Froback

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 05:14:10 pm »
Quote:

It was obvious that the Astros did not value Zobrist the way some of the fans did.  He is an average defender which IMO isn't good enough for the Astros.  He can hit, but he's still too advanced for AA ball.  If he can hit major league pitching, he looks like a utility player in the future.  He might get a shot at second base depending on the team's need.

Talbot has good stuff.  His changeup is stunning. He's got a low-90's fastball and an ok breaking pitch.  He can pitch very well, but he has not been consistent enough to be considered a top level pitching prospect.  It's that lack of consistency that will keep him from a major league starting rotation.  If nothing changes, I'd expect him to be a bullpen member.  At very best he'd be a 3 or 4 starter similar to Backe.  Today, I'd say #5/middle reliever is the safest bet.

The Astros get 1/2 year of Huff right now.  If he hits in the second half, the Astros already have won this deal. They get first crack at a new contract for him.  If he doesn't sign and the Astros offer him arb, I'd expect him to get an A rating as a free-agent.  That would mean the Astros would get a first or supplemental first rounder and second or third rounder from the team signing him.

All that for Zobrist and Talbot.  If Huff hits, this deal looks like a real winner for the Astros.

I totally agree, but having like Zobrist for a couple of years, I am sad to see him go.  All in all I think the Astros came out ahead on this one, but given that Huff is really a 3B playing OF, I see another deal involving Morgan happening soon... which will probably be part of a 2-1 type deal where we give up 2+ players for 1 really good one.  While this could mean more losses to the minor league system, could also be a ML player, opening a slot for someone at AAA to move up into.

My personal hope is Ensberg+Wilson for someone like Carlos Lee.  But given the Brewers are right where the Astros are and are in the same Division, I doubt this will happen.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 05:41:39 pm »
Regarding Talbot, this season, his K/9 rate jumped to over 9.0 in 90 IP, an improvement from the approx 6.0 he had the last two years at Salem and Lexington.  Meanwhile, his BB/9 rate remained virtually the same at around 3.0.  

Needless to say, his year so far at a higher level was a nice improvement.  Any thoughts on why.  Is it just perfecting the changeup you mentioned?

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2006, 06:10:40 pm »
Quote:

Regarding Talbot, this season, his K/9 rate jumped to over 9.0 in 90 IP, an improvement from the approx 6.0 he had the last two years at Salem and Lexington.  Meanwhile, his BB/9 rate remained virtually the same at around 3.0.  

Needless to say, his year so far at a higher level was a nice improvement.  Any thoughts on why.  Is it just perfecting the changeup you mentioned?

I think there was an improvement in the quality of his pitches.  His problem has been consistency within the game and from game to game.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2006, 06:12:49 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

I totally agree, but having like Zobrist for a couple of years, I am sad to see him go.  All in all I think the Astros came out ahead on this one, but given that Huff is really a 3B playing OF, I see another deal involving Morgan happening soon... which will probably be part of a 2-1 type deal where we give up 2+ players for 1 really good one.  While this could mean more losses to the minor league system, could also be a ML player, opening a slot for someone at AAA to move up into.

My personal hope is Ensberg+Wilson for someone like Carlos Lee.  But given the Brewers are right where the Astros are and are in the same Division, I doubt this will happen.

My expectation is that whatever the deal it will be for a relief pitcher.  In that case if it involves Ensberg, I'd expect it would only be Ensberg.  If not Ensberg then for any reliever the Astros shouldn't part with a top prospect.
Goin' for a bus ride.

pravata

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2006, 06:36:15 pm »
Zobrist said he was assigned to the Durham (N.C.) Bulls of the Class AAA International League, while Talbot is headed to the Montgomery (Ala.) Biscuits, Tampa Bay?s Class AA affiliate in the Southern League.
 Link

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2006, 06:36:25 pm »
So what other moves are likely?  RR appears to now have an extra outfielder (Lane replacing McEwing)  and CC needs an IF too ... Does Wade Robinson get the bump to CC, or will Ozzie get the regular job there?  And do we expect Gordon to get the boot from AAA?  Possibly with McEwing being resinged to a minor-league deal if he clears waivers and is released??  Just a few options that occur immediately.
Up in the Air

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2006, 06:46:39 pm »
Quote:

So what other moves are likely?  RR appears to now have an extra outfielder (Lane replacing McEwing)  and CC needs an IF too ... Does Wade Robinson get the bump to CC, or will Ozzie get the regular job there?  And do we expect Gordon to get the boot from AAA?  Possibly with McEwing being resinged to a minor-league deal if he clears waivers and is released??  Just a few options that occur immediately.

My head is spinning.  There are a number of possibilities mostly affecting career minor leaguers which doesn't bother me at all.  Reineke should now be a permanent fixture at AA essentially taking Talbot's spot.  They could promote Robinson or use Fernando at short at CC.  Either way the Astros are focused on Manzella at Lex for the future so that's where my attention is geared.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2006, 09:56:00 am »
Quote:

Quote:

My head is spinning.  There are a number of possibilities mostly affecting career minor leaguers which doesn't bother me at all.  Reineke should now be a permanent fixture at AA essentially taking Talbot's spot.  They could promote Robinson or use Fernando at short at CC.  Either way the Astros are focused on Manzella at Lex for the future so that's where my attention is geared.

Wade Robinson and Ronnie Martinez are both headed to Corpus Christi, the Houston Astros' Double-A affiliate. They are the replacements for Ben Zobrist and Mitch Talbot, who were traded to Tampa Bay on Wednesday.

The Avalanche will get infielder Wladimir Sutil from the Lexington Legends to replace Robinson. Sutil hit .272 and stole 19 bases in 59 games with the Legends.

Astros assistant general manager Ricky Bennett said Salem would not get a pitcher to replace Martinez right away because the team won't need a fifth starter until July 21.

The Link

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2006, 03:53:10 pm »
Quote:

Zobrist said he was assigned to the Durham (N.C.) Bulls of the Class AAA International League, while Talbot is headed to the Montgomery (Ala.) Biscuits, Tampa Bay?s Class AA affiliate in the Southern League.
 Link

"[Zobrist] kind of profiles as a super utility guy who can play a lot of positions," Friedman said. "He has a lot of positional flexibility. And I wouldn't count him out [from] being an everyday player, but he's an above-average super utility guy who can help a team win."...

If Lugo is traded and Upton's fielding requires a change of positions as some of speculated, Zobrist's acquisition could give the Rays a stopgap at shortstop.

"I would say the potential is there [for Zobrist to become a Major League shortstop]," Friedman said. "There's a little bit of mixed thoughts on that."

The Link

Wonder what Palillo thinks about this?
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2006, 08:04:43 pm »
a good source with the Express told me that McEwing is "the heart and soul of the team." he thinks he is a great guy and a tremendous asset in the clubhouse.

i really enjoyed watching him play. he has kid-like enthusiasm in everything he does. i hope there is some way for him to stay in the organization.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Froback

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2006, 01:53:56 am »
Quote:

a good source with the Express told me that McEwing is "the heart and soul of the team." he thinks he is a great guy and a tremendous asset in the clubhouse.

i really enjoyed watching him play. he has kid-like enthusiasm in everything he does. i hope there is some way for him to stay in the organization.

Was he really cut from RR?  I know he was removed from the 40 man, but that doesn't prevent him from returning to RR.  But then I am not sure who was moved to make room for Lane.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2006, 01:23:09 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Was he really cut from RR?  I know he was removed from the 40 man, but that doesn't prevent him from returning to RR.  But then I am not sure who was moved to make room for Lane.

Scott makes room for Lane.  McEwing has to clear waivers after eing DFA.  He could be back as early as this evening (or he could be gone).
Up in the Air

Greg D

• View Profile
Yeah, it was your imagination...
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2006, 11:05:13 pm »
The  box score may get corrected soon after I write this, but that was Mike Thompson (not Ole Sheldon) who pinch-hit for Ryan Reed in Sunday's game for Lex.

Nothing's happened with Ole--he's still with Salem.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
RE: BTN #14
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2006, 12:35:12 pm »
As you can read at  BTN #14 Greg described the good outings for Cory Lapinski and went on to explain a little about why Cory had some difficulties last year.

Here is one other note about Cory this season:

"Cory got his mechanics straightened out," Langbehn said of his second-year reliever, whose ERA is now 1.47. "He's consistent. His fastball is good and his command has been excellent."

The Link
Goin' for a bus ride.

Uncle Charlie

• View Profile
Hirsh & other pitchers
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2006, 11:03:38 am »
Hirsh's line looked damn good last night, as did all of the SPs the Houston organization put on the mound last night.  Paulino, James & Hirsh appeared to be very effective.

One question about Hirsh.  Is there any thought of calling up Hirsh for the bullpen?  IIRC Oswalt was used initially in the bullpen.  Other big-time starter types (Zambrano, Liriano, Santana) were initially used that way as well.  I'm not sure what the corresponding move would be though.  I think Wandy will be sent down when Backe returns.  So that really only leaves Lidge, Qualls, Nieve and Wheeler with options.  Astris would have to DFA Springer, Miller or Borkowski.
The test of a true champion is how he reacts to adversity on days when it is bound to come.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
Re: Hirsh & other pitchers
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2006, 11:36:54 am »
Quote:

Hirsh's line looked damn good last night, as did all of the SPs the Houston organization put on the mound last night.  Paulino, James & Hirsh appeared to be very effective.

One question about Hirsh.  Is there any thought of calling up Hirsh for the bullpen?  IIRC Oswalt was used initially in the bullpen.  Other big-time starter types (Zambrano, Liriano, Santana) were initially used that way as well.  I'm not sure what the corresponding move would be though.  I think Wandy will be sent down when Backe returns.  So that really only leaves Lidge, Qualls, Nieve and Wheeler with options.  Astris would have to DFA Springer, Miller or Borkowski.

It seems pretty certain now that Wandy will be sent to RR when Backe is activated.

The Astros don't want to recall Hirsh.  They want him to start, and they don't want to add another rookie to the bullpen.  If anything, they'll go out and get an experienced reliever.
Goin' for a bus ride.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2006, 03:17:15 pm »
Quote:

It seems pretty certain now that Wandy will be sent to RR when Backe is activated.

The Astros don't want to recall Hirsh.  They want him to start, and they don't want to add another rookie to the bullpen.  If anything, they'll go out and get an experienced reliever.

The interesting question (to me) is what happens if Backe gets injured again.  Bring Wandy back?  Bring Hirsch up?  Move Nieve back to starting and acquire another reliever?  I suspect #3, based on nothing more than a hunch that the Astros are not interested in starting the clock on Hirsch's ML service time just yet.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2006, 03:59:10 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

The interesting question (to me) is what happens if Backe gets injured again.  Bring Wandy back?  Bring Hirsch up?  Move Nieve back to starting and acquire another reliever?  I suspect #3, based on nothing more than a hunch that the Astros are not interested in starting the clock on Hirsch's ML service time just yet.

At the moment the Astros are more concerned about winning today.  They'll do whatever they think will most help them win this season.  If that means bringing up Hirsh then they'll do that.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Fletch

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2006, 11:27:06 pm »
Not 100% but I believe during the game tonight they said Hirsh has a tender shoulder. So I would not expect him to be called up anytime soon.

Link confirms it
The Link

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Lexington -- new pitrchers?
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2006, 11:47:36 pm »
Tonights game is interesting.  Mike Thompson came in to relieve Pedro Espinoza for the 9th after Espinoza had given up 3 runs in a WV blow-out.  Espinoza replaced Thompson at 2B.  Thompson proved the better hurler on this night giving up only 1 hit and no runs.  In fact, if the Legends rally, he could picj up the win.  :-)
Up in the Air

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Lexington -- new pitchers?
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2006, 11:56:59 pm »
Quote:

Tonights game is interesting.  Mike Thompson came in to relieve Pedro Espinoza for the 9th after Espinoza had given up 3 runs in a WV blow-out.  Espinoza replaced Thompson at 2B.  Thompson proved the better hurler on this night giving up only 1 hit and no runs.  In fact, if the Legends rally, he could picj up the win.  :-)

Well ... Thompson homered in support of his own cause (probably his first as a pitcher), but Lex still fell 5 runs short of giving him the W.
Up in the Air

Greg D

• View Profile
Re: Lexington -- new pitchers?
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2006, 12:37:05 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Well ... Thompson homered in support of his own cause (probably his first as a pitcher), but Lex still fell 5 runs short of giving him the W.

Thompson did do some pitching in HS, so it's not too surprising to see him performing mop-up duty.

Uncle Charlie

• View Profile
Sickels mid-year comments on prospects
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2006, 07:28:02 pm »
John Sickels view midway through 2006

The Link
The test of a true champion is how he reacts to adversity on days when it is bound to come.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
Patton getting more impressive
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2006, 01:38:50 pm »
Troy Patton now has an ERA of .72 for the month of July.  What makes it more impressive is a note he made in a McTaggert Article the other day - The Link

"I've pitched to two different teams five times, so I see the same hitters all the time," he said. "They're learning what I do and I'm learning what they do."

Maybe counting isn't his strong suit because he has pitched against 3 teams 4 times (Wilmington, Myrtle Beach, & Kinston), Lynchburg 3 times & Fredrick & Potomac 2 times each. He has not pitched to Winston Salem yet this year.

Counting aside, pitching the way he is against batters who have seen him several times makes his current performance very impressive.

Froback

• View Profile
Re: Patton getting more impressive
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2006, 03:14:59 pm »
Quote:

Troy Patton now has an ERA of .72 for the month of July.  What makes it more impressive is a note he made in a McTaggert Article the other day - The Link

"I've pitched to two different teams five times, so I see the same hitters all the time," he said. "They're learning what I do and I'm learning what they do."

Maybe counting isn't his strong suit because he has pitched against 3 teams 4 times (Wilmington, Myrtle Beach, & Kinston), Lynchburg 3 times & Fredrick & Potomac 2 times each. He has not pitched to Winston Salem yet this year.

Counting aside, pitching the way he is against batters who have seen him several times makes his current performance very impressive.

I would also think it would cause you to want to add new "wrinkles" to your pitching.  Like adding and fine tuning pitches so that they are guessing when they come to the plate.

I don't think he is a fire-baller so it is not like he is just blowing people away and they can't adjust to it.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2006, 03:23:06 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

I would also think it would cause you to want to add new "wrinkles" to your pitching.  Like adding and fine tuning pitches so that they are guessing when they come to the plate.

I don't think he is a fire-baller so it is not like he is just blowing people away and they can't adjust to it.

From a developmental standpoint here is the important information:

"Dewey Robinson, the Astros' director of pitching development, believes Patton is benefiting from playing a full season in the Carolina League.

"It teaches (younger players) how to pitch," Robinson said. "They have to throw a changeup behind in the count; they have to throw a breaking ball; they have to pitch inside. It's a great level for those guys."

This is one of the big reasons the Astros wanted to get into the Carolina League a few years back.  It also explains why the Astros didn't need to send Patton to AA despite so many clamoring for that.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Froback

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2006, 05:07:07 pm »
Quote:

"Dewey Robinson, the Astros' director of pitching development, believes Patton is benefiting from playing a full season in the Carolina League.

"It teaches (younger players) how to pitch," Robinson said. "They have to throw a changeup behind in the count; they have to throw a breaking ball; they have to pitch inside. It's a great level for those guys."

This is one of the big reasons the Astros wanted to get into the Carolina League a few years back.  It also explains why the Astros didn't need to send Patton to AA despite so many clamoring for that.

I recall that quote, but I was wondering why?  I assume it has to do with the parks in the league (since the players turn over so much every year).  Is it the parks?  Why are they more "encouraging" to use off-speed and breaking stuff?

Don't get me wrong, I am all for learning to pitch and use more than 1 type of pitch to do it, but I have no idea why the league should matter.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2006, 06:42:48 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

I recall that quote, but I was wondering why?  I assume it has to do with the parks in the league (since the players turn over so much every year).  Is it the parks?  Why are they more "encouraging" to use off-speed and breaking stuff?

Don't get me wrong, I am all for learning to pitch and use more than 1 type of pitch to do it, but I have no idea why the league should matter.

It's the quality of the players in the league.  Pitchers have to learn how to get batters out with more than just the fastball.  If they get to AA with a fastball and not much else they won't be very successful especially as they look toward the big club.  The earlier they learn it the better.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2006, 09:38:20 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It's the quality of the players in the league.  Pitchers have to learn how to get batters out with more than just the fastball.  If they get to AA with a fastball and not much else they won't be very successful especially as they look toward the big club.  The earlier they learn it the better.

It is also an 8 team league with is very small, so you see the same batters alot of times and you have to get them out different ways.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2006, 01:28:31 am »
So, with Albers getting his shot I'm left wondering what's going to happen with CC rotation again.  I don't expect to get a response before a move is made, if one is coming.  Will Muecke take Albers' place?  Or, will the Astros excite the fans and bring up Patton?  I believe he and Albers are on the same starting schedule.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Froback

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2006, 10:21:01 am »
Quote:

So, with Albers getting his shot I'm left wondering what's going to happen with CC rotation again.  I don't expect to get a response before a move is made, if one is coming.  Will Muecke take Albers' place?  Or, will the Astros excite the fans and bring up Patton?  I believe he and Albers are on the same starting schedule.

Having not gone to look yet, I would think Patton both because he is on the same schedule and because he really has shown dominance lately and a willingness to throw multiple pitches for strikes.

That and isn't Muecke struggling this year... Perhaps my fuzzy memory is remembering someone else.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2006, 07:31:14 am »
Quote:

You called it.  Patton is headed to CC The Link

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
Trinidad lowers ERA again
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2006, 07:38:03 am »
Polin Trinidad pitched 5 innings of shut out, one hit ball and lowered his ERA to 0.25 last night in Greeneville.  He now has given up on 17 hits & 4 walks in 36 innings in Greeneville and has 34 K's in 36 innings pitched.

Greg D

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2006, 09:10:46 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Or you could have checked out the  transactions page.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2006, 11:28:47 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Good stuff in that article:

"...Santangelo has cut way down on his strikeouts, with just five in July after amassing 78 in the first three months of the season.

Pankovits theorized that some of the boost came from the release of Scott Robinson, or the message it sent.

"Some of these kids realize that it's make or break time," Pankovits said. "It brings into perspective that they don't have a long shelf life. Some have responded, it's been a kick in the butt a little bit. Some can't handle that type of pressure."
Goin' for a bus ride.

StargateSG1

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2006, 10:55:22 am »
That infectious enthusiasm is a good example for the other players, especially guys like Hirsh, Gimenez, Nieve, etc..  and very engaging as a baseball citizen.

I hope that the Astros find room for him in the organizational coaching chart after his career is done ala Sean Berry.

chuckd

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2006, 01:57:02 pm »
WHAT has happened to Serigo Perez? WHAT is the latest on Karns? thxs

StargateSG1

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 24, 2006, 04:22:53 pm »
Sergio Perez will be activated today.  Not sure about Karns. I believe he's headed to college.

Link

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2006, 04:29:44 pm »
Quote:

Sergio Perez will be activated today.  Not sure about Karns. I believe he's headed to college.

Link

What about Kearns, (who is the actual guy the Astro's drafted)?
Up in the Air

StargateSG1

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2006, 07:52:56 pm »
It looks like the Astros 10th round pick, RHP Nathan Karns, is headed to UT.  Got give the Longhorns some credit.  They seem to be doing very good as far as not losing recruits to the minors.  Astros still have time to sign Nathan but I don't think it's likely.

Florida, Florida State and Miami lost three picks a piece that were drafted in the top three rounds.  If you are a Longhorn you have to be encouraged.

Link

Astros inked 18 of their first 20 picks which is pretty good.  Florida seems to be doing the best with 21 of 22 picks signed (the lone holdout is Boras client - as of June 30th).  Jacksonian does a jam up job of keeping the draft recap updated.

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2006, 10:40:42 am »
FYI:  Hirsh and Patton listed #'s 1 and 2 on BBA's Prospect Hotsheet.  They say its the first time teammates have held down the first two spots.

Froback

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2006, 10:53:58 am »
Quote:

FYI:  Hirsh and Patton listed #'s 1 and 2 on BBA's Prospect Hotsheet.  They say its the first time teammates have held down the first two spots.

You forgot to include that Fairchild and Santagelo (and Zobrist) were all also mentioned (in the "team photo" section).

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2006, 11:36:09 am »
I noticed Sergio Perez made his first appearance in mid-inning relief last night.  Given the lack of urgency in pitching him so far, I assume the Astros are just letting his arm rest, but that is merely an assumption.  Any information on why he has not pitched much yet; and, do you know if the Astros foresee him as a reliever, or as a starter?

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2006, 12:03:40 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

You forgot to include that Fairchild and Santagelo (and Zobrist) were all also mentioned (in the "team photo" section).

I read back through several times looking for a Hunter P reference but didn't find one.  I guess they had reached their Astros quota.

Froback

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2006, 01:46:12 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I read back through several times looking for a Hunter P reference but didn't find one.  I guess they had reached their Astros quota.

He was #4 the previous week but not on the July 24th sheet.

matadorph

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2006, 04:50:35 am »
Speaking of Hunter P, he went deep again tonight in the Hooks' 5-2 win over Frisco.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2006, 07:24:21 am »
Ralph Henriquez was benched in the 6th inning of last nights game.  According to the radio, it was due to not running out a missed 3rd strike in the dirt.  

On a more positive note, Andrew Darnell hit 2 home runs, a solo shot in the 7th and a 2 run shot in the top of 9th to give the G-Stros the win.

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2006, 04:34:09 pm »
Quote:

Ralph Henriquez was benched in the 6th inning of last nights game.  According to the radio, it was due to not running out a missed 3rd strike in the dirt.  

On a more positive note, Andrew Darnell hit 2 home runs, a solo shot in the 7th and a 2 run shot in the top of 9th to give the G-Stros the win.

Please forgive the laziness, but wasn't Darnell one of our draft and follows?

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2006, 04:40:13 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Please forgive the laziness, but wasn't Darnell one of our draft and follows?

Yup.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
House promoted
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2006, 05:09:03 pm »
Greg will have this in the transaction area soon, but House was sent to Round Rock.  No word yet as to what move may be made at RR.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Froback

• View Profile
Re: House promoted
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2006, 05:12:29 pm »
Precursor to a trade already done but not announced?

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2006, 05:20:53 pm »
Quote:

That was my first thought.  Quintero or Gimenez perhaps involved.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Rebel Jew

• View Profile
    • Rebel Jew
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2006, 05:33:11 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Wow!  Any chance he becomes an exclusive 1B at RR?

BTW, of those that have seen them this year, who among Q and Gimenez looks like the better prospect?  Is Gimenez still superior defensively, with Q having more potential offensively?

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2006, 06:05:05 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Any chance Lou is moving to CC and Towles to Salem?  That would leave a hole in Lex and I am not sure about who they would use to fill that.

Greg D

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2006, 07:38:37 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Any chance Lou is moving to CC and Towles to Salem?  That would leave a hole in Lex and I am not sure about who they would use to fill that.

Went the roster filler route--recently released Brian Peterson was signed to play at CC.

stubbyc

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
Options Situation
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2006, 11:20:00 pm »
I may have a misunderstanding on how the options clock works, but by my understanding Gimenez, Jimerson, Nieve, and Buchholz will all be out of options.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
Re: Options Situation
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2006, 12:11:40 am »
Quote:

I may have a misunderstanding on how the options clock works, but by my understanding Gimenez, Jimerson, Nieve, and Buchholz will all be out of options.

Nope.  It's option years, not # of times a player is optioned up and down.
Goin' for a bus ride.

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2006, 10:44:15 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Nope.  It's option years, not # of times a player is optioned up and down.

Woooooo, now there's a new one.  All these years I thought it was based on times.  What about Lane then?  He's got to be in the last year, or close to it.  Could you elaborate on the number of years?  Thanks.

Also...could you write a little about Parraz?  He seems to have turned it around after a couple disappointing seasons.

Uncle Charlie

• View Profile
Zobrist
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2006, 11:24:56 pm »
For those who didn't notice, TB recalled Zobrist today following the Lugo deal.  Good luck to him!

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2006, 01:23:45 am »
Quote:

Also...could you write a little about Parraz?  He seems to have turned it around after a couple disappointing seasons.

I did write a bit in the 2004 draft and 2006 Top 10.  I haven't heard about attitude issues this season.  Was there something specific you were looking for?
Goin' for a bus ride.

Greg D

• View Profile
Re: Zobrist
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2006, 11:04:15 am »
Quote:

For those who didn't notice, TB recalled Zobrist today following the Lugo deal.  Good luck to him!

I obviously didn't see your post or never would've noted this in the TZ. Sorry UC!

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2006, 11:28:47 am »
Quote:

Quote:

I did write a bit in the 2004 draft and 2006 Top 10.  I haven't heard about attitude issues this season.  Was there something specific you were looking for?

Well, was just hoping you might have some opinions from your sources on him.  Obviiously he hasn't been discussed lately.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2006, 11:56:42 am »
Quote:

What about Lane then?  He's got to be in the last year, or close to it.  Could you elaborate on the number of years?  Thanks.

You get 3 option years.  Lane was moved up/down in '02/03/06.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"