Author Topic: Ask And Ye Shall Maybe Receive: Season 2, Vol 7.  (Read 18172 times)

VirtualBob

  • Pope
  • Posts: 5630
    • View Profile
Re: Ask And Ye Shall Maybe Receive: Season 2, Vol 7.
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2006, 01:23:09 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

a good source with the Express told me that McEwing is "the heart and soul of the team." he thinks he is a great guy and a tremendous asset in the clubhouse.

i really enjoyed watching him play. he has kid-like enthusiasm in everything he does. i hope there is some way for him to stay in the organization.




Was he really cut from RR?  I know he was removed from the 40 man, but that doesn't prevent him from returning to RR.  But then I am not sure who was moved to make room for Lane.





Scott makes room for Lane.  McEwing has to clear waivers after eing DFA.  He could be back as early as this evening (or he could be gone).
Up in the Air

Greg D

  • Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
  • Posts: 1053
    • View Profile
Yeah, it was your imagination...
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2006, 11:05:13 pm »
The  box score may get corrected soon after I write this, but that was Mike Thompson (not Ole Sheldon) who pinch-hit for Ryan Reed in Sunday's game for Lex.

Nothing's happened with Ole--he's still with Salem.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

Jacksonian

  • Moderator
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Posts: 12893
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
RE: BTN #14
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2006, 12:35:12 pm »
As you can read at  BTN #14 Greg described the good outings for Cory Lapinski and went on to explain a little about why Cory had some difficulties last year.


Here is one other note about Cory this season:

"Cory got his mechanics straightened out," Langbehn said of his second-year reliever, whose ERA is now 1.47. "He's consistent. His fastball is good and his command has been excellent."

The Link
Goin' for a bus ride.

Uncle Charlie

  • Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
  • Posts: 1072
    • View Profile
Hirsh & other pitchers
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2006, 11:03:38 am »
Hirsh's line looked damn good last night, as did all of the SPs the Houston organization put on the mound last night.  Paulino, James & Hirsh appeared to be very effective.

One question about Hirsh.  Is there any thought of calling up Hirsh for the bullpen?  IIRC Oswalt was used initially in the bullpen.  Other big-time starter types (Zambrano, Liriano, Santana) were initially used that way as well.  I'm not sure what the corresponding move would be though.  I think Wandy will be sent down when Backe returns.  So that really only leaves Lidge, Qualls, Nieve and Wheeler with options.  Astris would have to DFA Springer, Miller or Borkowski.
The test of a true champion is how he reacts to adversity on days when it is bound to come.

Jacksonian

  • Moderator
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Posts: 12893
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
Re: Hirsh & other pitchers
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2006, 11:36:54 am »
Quote:

Hirsh's line looked damn good last night, as did all of the SPs the Houston organization put on the mound last night.  Paulino, James & Hirsh appeared to be very effective.

One question about Hirsh.  Is there any thought of calling up Hirsh for the bullpen?  IIRC Oswalt was used initially in the bullpen.  Other big-time starter types (Zambrano, Liriano, Santana) were initially used that way as well.  I'm not sure what the corresponding move would be though.  I think Wandy will be sent down when Backe returns.  So that really only leaves Lidge, Qualls, Nieve and Wheeler with options.  Astris would have to DFA Springer, Miller or Borkowski.





It seems pretty certain now that Wandy will be sent to RR when Backe is activated.

The Astros don't want to recall Hirsh.  They want him to start, and they don't want to add another rookie to the bullpen.  If anything, they'll go out and get an experienced reliever.
Goin' for a bus ride.

austro

  • Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • Posts: 19637
    • View Profile
Re: Hirsh & other pitchers
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2006, 03:17:15 pm »
Quote:

It seems pretty certain now that Wandy will be sent to RR when Backe is activated.

The Astros don't want to recall Hirsh.  They want him to start, and they don't want to add another rookie to the bullpen.  If anything, they'll go out and get an experienced reliever.




The interesting question (to me) is what happens if Backe gets injured again.  Bring Wandy back?  Bring Hirsch up?  Move Nieve back to starting and acquire another reliever?  I suspect #3, based on nothing more than a hunch that the Astros are not interested in starting the clock on Hirsch's ML service time just yet.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

Jacksonian

  • Moderator
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Posts: 12893
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
Re: Hirsh & other pitchers
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2006, 03:59:10 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

It seems pretty certain now that Wandy will be sent to RR when Backe is activated.

The Astros don't want to recall Hirsh.  They want him to start, and they don't want to add another rookie to the bullpen.  If anything, they'll go out and get an experienced reliever.




The interesting question (to me) is what happens if Backe gets injured again.  Bring Wandy back?  Bring Hirsch up?  Move Nieve back to starting and acquire another reliever?  I suspect #3, based on nothing more than a hunch that the Astros are not interested in starting the clock on Hirsch's ML service time just yet.





At the moment the Astros are more concerned about winning today.  They'll do whatever they think will most help them win this season.  If that means bringing up Hirsh then they'll do that.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Fletch

  • Roster Filler
  • Posts: 142
    • View Profile
Re: Hirsh & other pitchers
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2006, 11:27:06 pm »
Not 100% but I believe during the game tonight they said Hirsh has a tender shoulder. So I would not expect him to be called up anytime soon.

Link confirms it
The Link

VirtualBob

  • Pope
  • Posts: 5630
    • View Profile
Re: Lexington -- new pitrchers?
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2006, 11:47:36 pm »
Tonights game is interesting.  Mike Thompson came in to relieve Pedro Espinoza for the 9th after Espinoza had given up 3 runs in a WV blow-out.  Espinoza replaced Thompson at 2B.  Thompson proved the better hurler on this night giving up only 1 hit and no runs.  In fact, if the Legends rally, he could picj up the win.  :-)
Up in the Air

VirtualBob

  • Pope
  • Posts: 5630
    • View Profile
Re: Lexington -- new pitchers?
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2006, 11:56:59 pm »
Quote:

Tonights game is interesting.  Mike Thompson came in to relieve Pedro Espinoza for the 9th after Espinoza had given up 3 runs in a WV blow-out.  Espinoza replaced Thompson at 2B.  Thompson proved the better hurler on this night giving up only 1 hit and no runs.  In fact, if the Legends rally, he could picj up the win.  :-)




Well ... Thompson homered in support of his own cause (probably his first as a pitcher), but Lex still fell 5 runs short of giving him the W.
Up in the Air

Greg D

  • Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
  • Posts: 1053
    • View Profile
Re: Lexington -- new pitchers?
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2006, 12:37:05 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Tonights game is interesting.  Mike Thompson came in to relieve Pedro Espinoza for the 9th after Espinoza had given up 3 runs in a WV blow-out.  Espinoza replaced Thompson at 2B.  Thompson proved the better hurler on this night giving up only 1 hit and no runs.  In fact, if the Legends rally, he could picj up the win.  :-)




Well ... Thompson homered in support of his own cause (probably his first as a pitcher), but Lex still fell 5 runs short of giving him the W.





Thompson did do some pitching in HS, so it's not too surprising to see him performing mop-up duty.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

Uncle Charlie

  • Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
  • Posts: 1072
    • View Profile
Sickels mid-year comments on prospects
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2006, 07:28:02 pm »
John Sickels view midway through 2006

The Link
The test of a true champion is how he reacts to adversity on days when it is bound to come.

Duman

  • Moderator
  • Pope
  • Posts: 5446
    • View Profile
Patton getting more impressive
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2006, 01:38:50 pm »
Troy Patton now has an ERA of .72 for the month of July.  What makes it more impressive is a note he made in a McTaggert Article the other day - The Link

"I've pitched to two different teams five times, so I see the same hitters all the time," he said. "They're learning what I do and I'm learning what they do."

Maybe counting isn't his strong suit because he has pitched against 3 teams 4 times (Wilmington, Myrtle Beach, & Kinston), Lynchburg 3 times & Fredrick & Potomac 2 times each. He has not pitched to Winston Salem yet this year.

Counting aside, pitching the way he is against batters who have seen him several times makes his current performance very impressive.
Always ready to go to a game.

Froback

  • Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
  • Posts: 2253
    • View Profile
Re: Patton getting more impressive
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2006, 03:14:59 pm »
Quote:

Troy Patton now has an ERA of .72 for the month of July.  What makes it more impressive is a note he made in a McTaggert Article the other day - The Link

"I've pitched to two different teams five times, so I see the same hitters all the time," he said. "They're learning what I do and I'm learning what they do."

Maybe counting isn't his strong suit because he has pitched against 3 teams 4 times (Wilmington, Myrtle Beach, & Kinston), Lynchburg 3 times & Fredrick & Potomac 2 times each. He has not pitched to Winston Salem yet this year.

Counting aside, pitching the way he is against batters who have seen him several times makes his current performance very impressive.




I would also think it would cause you to want to add new "wrinkles" to your pitching.  Like adding and fine tuning pitches so that they are guessing when they come to the plate.

I don't think he is a fire-baller so it is not like he is just blowing people away and they can't adjust to it.

Jacksonian

  • Moderator
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Posts: 12893
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
Re: Patton getting more impressive
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2006, 03:23:06 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Troy Patton now has an ERA of .72 for the month of July.  What makes it more impressive is a note he made in a McTaggert Article the other day - The Link

"I've pitched to two different teams five times, so I see the same hitters all the time," he said. "They're learning what I do and I'm learning what they do."

Maybe counting isn't his strong suit because he has pitched against 3 teams 4 times (Wilmington, Myrtle Beach, & Kinston), Lynchburg 3 times & Fredrick & Potomac 2 times each. He has not pitched to Winston Salem yet this year.

Counting aside, pitching the way he is against batters who have seen him several times makes his current performance very impressive.




I would also think it would cause you to want to add new "wrinkles" to your pitching.  Like adding and fine tuning pitches so that they are guessing when they come to the plate.

I don't think he is a fire-baller so it is not like he is just blowing people away and they can't adjust to it.





From a developmental standpoint here is the important information:

"Dewey Robinson, the Astros' director of pitching development, believes Patton is benefiting from playing a full season in the Carolina League.

"It teaches (younger players) how to pitch," Robinson said. "They have to throw a changeup behind in the count; they have to throw a breaking ball; they have to pitch inside. It's a great level for those guys."

This is one of the big reasons the Astros wanted to get into the Carolina League a few years back.  It also explains why the Astros didn't need to send Patton to AA despite so many clamoring for that.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Froback

  • Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
  • Posts: 2253
    • View Profile
Re: Patton getting more impressive
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2006, 05:07:07 pm »
Quote:


From a developmental standpoint here is the important information:

"Dewey Robinson, the Astros' director of pitching development, believes Patton is benefiting from playing a full season in the Carolina League.

"It teaches (younger players) how to pitch," Robinson said. "They have to throw a changeup behind in the count; they have to throw a breaking ball; they have to pitch inside. It's a great level for those guys."

This is one of the big reasons the Astros wanted to get into the Carolina League a few years back.  It also explains why the Astros didn't need to send Patton to AA despite so many clamoring for that.





I recall that quote, but I was wondering why?  I assume it has to do with the parks in the league (since the players turn over so much every year).  Is it the parks?  Why are they more "encouraging" to use off-speed and breaking stuff?

Don't get me wrong, I am all for learning to pitch and use more than 1 type of pitch to do it, but I have no idea why the league should matter.

Jacksonian

  • Moderator
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Posts: 12893
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
Re: Patton getting more impressive
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2006, 06:42:48 pm »
Quote:

Quote:


From a developmental standpoint here is the important information:

"Dewey Robinson, the Astros' director of pitching development, believes Patton is benefiting from playing a full season in the Carolina League.

"It teaches (younger players) how to pitch," Robinson said. "They have to throw a changeup behind in the count; they have to throw a breaking ball; they have to pitch inside. It's a great level for those guys."

This is one of the big reasons the Astros wanted to get into the Carolina League a few years back.  It also explains why the Astros didn't need to send Patton to AA despite so many clamoring for that.





I recall that quote, but I was wondering why?  I assume it has to do with the parks in the league (since the players turn over so much every year).  Is it the parks?  Why are they more "encouraging" to use off-speed and breaking stuff?

Don't get me wrong, I am all for learning to pitch and use more than 1 type of pitch to do it, but I have no idea why the league should matter.





It's the quality of the players in the league.  Pitchers have to learn how to get batters out with more than just the fastball.  If they get to AA with a fastball and not much else they won't be very successful especially as they look toward the big club.  The earlier they learn it the better.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Duman

  • Moderator
  • Pope
  • Posts: 5446
    • View Profile
Re: Patton getting more impressive
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2006, 09:38:20 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:


From a developmental standpoint here is the important information:

"Dewey Robinson, the Astros' director of pitching development, believes Patton is benefiting from playing a full season in the Carolina League.

"It teaches (younger players) how to pitch," Robinson said. "They have to throw a changeup behind in the count; they have to throw a breaking ball; they have to pitch inside. It's a great level for those guys."

This is one of the big reasons the Astros wanted to get into the Carolina League a few years back.  It also explains why the Astros didn't need to send Patton to AA despite so many clamoring for that.





I recall that quote, but I was wondering why?  I assume it has to do with the parks in the league (since the players turn over so much every year).  Is it the parks?  Why are they more "encouraging" to use off-speed and breaking stuff?

Don't get me wrong, I am all for learning to pitch and use more than 1 type of pitch to do it, but I have no idea why the league should matter.




It's the quality of the players in the league.  Pitchers have to learn how to get batters out with more than just the fastball.  If they get to AA with a fastball and not much else they won't be very successful especially as they look toward the big club.  The earlier they learn it the better.




It is also an 8 team league with is very small, so you see the same batters alot of times and you have to get them out different ways.
Always ready to go to a game.

Jacksonian

  • Moderator
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Posts: 12893
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
Re: Ask And Ye Shall Maybe Receive: Season 2, Vol 7.
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2006, 01:28:31 am »
So, with Albers getting his shot I'm left wondering what's going to happen with CC rotation again.  I don't expect to get a response before a move is made, if one is coming.  Will Muecke take Albers' place?  Or, will the Astros excite the fans and bring up Patton?  I believe he and Albers are on the same starting schedule.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Froback

  • Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
  • Posts: 2253
    • View Profile
Re: Ask And Ye Shall Maybe Receive: Season 2, Vol 7.
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2006, 10:21:01 am »
Quote:

So, with Albers getting his shot I'm left wondering what's going to happen with CC rotation again.  I don't expect to get a response before a move is made, if one is coming.  Will Muecke take Albers' place?  Or, will the Astros excite the fans and bring up Patton?  I believe he and Albers are on the same starting schedule.



Having not gone to look yet, I would think Patton both because he is on the same schedule and because he really has shown dominance lately and a willingness to throw multiple pitches for strikes.

That and isn't Muecke struggling this year... Perhaps my fuzzy memory is remembering someone else.