Author Topic: So what happens if...  (Read 1947 times)

HurricaneDavid

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
So what happens if...
« on: April 12, 2006, 06:25:55 pm »
...an entire 3-game series is rained out, and because of the moronic unbalanced schedule, you only have one trip planned to that city for the entire season?  It looks like it's been raining all day in San Francisco, and there's a 40% chance of rain tomorrow.

This situation has to have come up before, but I don't remember hearing what the precedent is.
"Ground ball right side, they're not gonna be able to turn two OR ARE THEY, THROW, IS IN TIME!!! WHAT AN UNBELIEVABLE TURN BY BRUNTLETT AND EVERETT, AND THEY CUT DOWN MABRY TO END THE GAME, AND THE ASTROS LEAD THIS NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES THREE GAMES TO ONE!!!!!"

WulawHorn

• View Profile
Re: So what happens if...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 06:31:25 pm »
Cubs and fish got into such a pickle last year or the year before and as I recall they played a double header on a mutual off day, and then played a double header in florida's park (giving the fish an extra home game).  I might be wrong on the last part, but I know for a fact they had a double dip on an off day in wrigley.

This was when the fish played like 8 games in 5 days and contributed to them wilting down the stretch.

HurricaneDavid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 06:34:14 pm »
That sounds familiar... scary thought, though...
"Ground ball right side, they're not gonna be able to turn two OR ARE THEY, THROW, IS IN TIME!!! WHAT AN UNBELIEVABLE TURN BY BRUNTLETT AND EVERETT, AND THEY CUT DOWN MABRY TO END THE GAME, AND THE ASTROS LEAD THIS NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES THREE GAMES TO ONE!!!!!"

jasonact

• View Profile
    • www.jasonmartinmft.com
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 06:34:53 pm »
Quote:

...an entire 3-game series is rained out, and because of the moronic unbalanced schedule, you only have one trip planned to that city for the entire season?  It looks like it's been raining all day in San Francisco, and there's a 40% chance of rain tomorrow.

This situation has to have come up before, but I don't remember hearing what the precedent is.

In past situations where one or two have been rained out, I think teams have made up at least one game at the other team's park (not sure how the revenue works). They've also played a game at the end of the season or on a common off day, but only if it matters for the playoffs.

I'm not sure what they'd do if an entire 3-game series got rained out. I don't think there are hard, fast rules about it. They simply try to make it up if/when they can and if it makes a difference in the playoffs.
phew. for a minute there, I lost myself
- Radiohead

Trey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 06:45:31 pm »
Quote:

Cubs and fish got into such a pickle last year or the year before and as I recall they played a double header on a mutual off day, and then played a double header in florida's park (giving the fish an extra home game).  I might be wrong on the last part, but I know for a fact they had a double dip on an off day in wrigley.

This was when the fish played like 8 games in 5 days and contributed to them wilting down the stretch.

Games in Florida got rained out and some (1?) was made up at Wrigley.  Cubs were considered the home team and batted last, which was total BS.
Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 06:47:09 pm »
I think these games are gonna be played - the rain is supposed to start breaking up tonight. It's dumping outside right now though.
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

Foghorn

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 06:51:52 pm »
Quote:

I think these games are gonna be played - the rain is supposed to start breaking up tonight. It's dumping outside right now though.

Fuck'em.  Lets play right now.  Frankenbarry is afraid of getting a little damp, so he'll rest his gimpy roid infested knee on the bench, save for a PH appearence in the 8th where I hope we bring in Gallo to drill him in the face with a fast ball.
You see pal, that's who I am, and you're nothing. Nice guy, I don't give a shit. Good father, fuck you. Go home and play with your kids. You wanna work here, close. You think this is abuse? You think this is abuse, you cocksucker? You can't take this, how can you take the abuse you get on a sit?

CJM

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 07:22:47 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Games in Florida got rained out and some (1?) was made up at Wrigley.  Cubs were considered the home team and batted last, which was total BS.

Didn't they (Marlins) play somebody at Comisky Park (not the White Sox) that year too?

CrawfordBoxes

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 08:17:56 pm »
Yeah hell...hopefully the least we can do is get an extra game here at Minute Maid. But with that said I still would like to get this 3 game series in here.
Make a runnnnnnnn!!!!

Desperado

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 09:03:53 pm »
I remember David Weathers playing a role in one of the doubleheaders.

mihoba

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • R.I.P. Mike. The boy inside you is now free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2006, 09:24:48 pm »
Quote:

Play three? Nah...

September 2nd, 1920

With the last two games rained out, fans get their money's worth in Pittsburgh as the Pirates and Reds, battling to determine 3rd place, play the century's only tripleheader. Starting at noon, the Reds win the first, 13?4, to clinch 3rd place. The Reds win game two as well, 7?3, with a number of players at odd positions: Reds put catcher Ivy Wingo at 2B, with pitchers Bressler, Ruether, Coumbe, and Eller at field positions. The Pirates take the finale 6?0, called after six innings because of darkness. The only "tribill" played this century is played in five hours. Clyde Barnhart, who made his major league debut ten days earlier, doubles in the first two games, and singles in the 3rd, the only player to hit in all three games.

tripleheader

edit to correct link
"Baseball is simply a better game without the DH. "

Señor Stan

• It's a plethora!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2006, 10:07:30 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Play three? Nah...

September 2nd, 1920

With the last two games rained out, fans get their money's worth in Pittsburgh as the Pirates and Reds, battling to determine 3rd place, play the century's only tripleheader. Starting at noon, the Reds win the first, 13?4, to clinch 3rd place. The Reds win game two as well, 7?3, with a number of players at odd positions: Reds put catcher Ivy Wingo at 2B, with pitchers Bressler, Ruether, Coumbe, and Eller at field positions. The Pirates take the finale 6?0, called after six innings because of darkness. The only "tribill" played this century is played in five hours. Clyde Barnhart, who made his major league debut ten days earlier, doubles in the first two games, and singles in the 3rd, the only player to hit in all three games.

tripleheader

edit to correct link

This looks like a job for Spack!

From the manifesto...

Spack was a star in the the old Constitutional Brotherhood Base Ball Association, a rival major league in the 1890s. Spack once pitched all 27 innings of a triple-header. A line drive broke his right collar bone in the seventh inning of Game 3, but he managed to finish the day with his left arm.

mihoba

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • R.I.P. Mike. The boy inside you is now free.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2006, 01:01:01 am »
Quote:

This looks like a job for Spack!

From the manifesto...

Spack was a star in the the old Constitutional Brotherhood Base Ball Association, a rival major league in the 1890s. Spack once pitched all 27 innings of a triple-header. A line drive broke his right collar bone in the seventh inning of Game 3, but he managed to finish the day with his left arm.

Spack is one tough hombre.

Here is the longest ML game ever played, it was rumored that Cadore threw 345 pitches. Interesting that it only took 3 hrs and 50 minutes.
  26 innings
"Baseball is simply a better game without the DH. "