Author Topic: Ed Ott  (Read 5705 times)

Fynn

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
Ed Ott
« on: December 23, 2005, 09:53:51 am »
Does anyone know if Ed Ott is still coaching?  I will never forget that famous moment in 1991 when Rob Dibble started a brawl when he threw a fast ball BEHIND Eric Yelding--at the bottom of the ensuing pile, Ed was choking Dibble whose face began turning blue.  I haven't heard anything about him in years and was just wondering.

Jose Cruz III

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: Ed Ott
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 11:07:31 am »
Enjoy. I hadn't thought of Ott in years either.

Mash here Meathead.
Unga bungaed by the BBGs.

"No. Humans will die out. We're weak. Dinosaurs survived on rotten flesh. You got diarrhea last week from a Wendy's."

EmirOfSchmoe

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 12:08:07 pm »
He is not one to back down from a fight.

lc_db

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
    • I_dont_need_no_stinkin_homepage.com
My Favorite...
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 12:30:26 pm »
Not "really" related, but it reminded me of my favorite Astro fight memory.

Frank LaCorte threw inside to some Dodger.  Batter bows up, looks menacing, and LaCorte throws his glove to the ground and challenges said batter to "Come on!!"

Both benches empty.  The TV focused on the mound, but what I remember most was across the bottom of the screen was Pedro Guerrero backpedaling as little Dickie Thon was ALL over him... jabbing... swinging...

They "dance" off the edge of the screen's view only to return in the opposite direction, Dickie still keeping that coward on his heels.

ahhh.....  Memories.

strosrays

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 03:51:16 pm »
Quote:

"It was my job to block home plate," said Ott. "One thing I always took pride in was that I never dropped the ball that I had caught before the runner got there. I got hit quite a few times. But that was my job. I got upset when somebody tried to slide around me. I wanted them to hit me. I guess I had the mentality of a linebacker."

Ed Ott

May 11, 1989
HOUSTON, May 10 (AP) -- Tom Foley hit three doubles and a single to drive in three runs, and Bryn Smith allowed three hits in seven innings tonight to lead the Montreal Expos to a 15-hit, 10-1 victory over the Astros in a game marred by a bench-clearing brawl that brought the ejection of a Houston coach and three Expo players...
     The game was interrupted for 15 minutes in the sixth inning by the brawl.  This began when Houston reliever Larry Andersen threw high and inside, striking (Spike) Owen's bat as he dodged the pitch.  Owen charged the mound and both benches joined in.
     Ed Ott, a Houston coach, Owen, (Tim) Raines, and (Wallace) Johnson were ejected from the game. - New York Times, May 11, 1989

Expos 10, Astros 1, Ott 1 takedown

April 11, 1991

OTT vs. DIBBLE

CINCINNATI, April 11 (AP) - The Cincinnati Reds fell out of first place for the first time in more than a year and turned nasty about it, losing to Houston and starting a bench-clearing brawl on a behind-the-back fastball by Rob Dibble.
     After Astros reliever Curt Schilling hit a run-scoring single in his first big-league at-bat in the ninth inning, Dibble threw his next pitch behind Eric Yelding's belt.  Yelding charged the mound, threw his helmet and hit Dibble on the left shoulder, and then tried to tackle him as both benches and bullpens joined the fracas.  Dibble and Yelding were ejected. - New York Times, April 12, 1991.

"April 23, 1991: Reds reliever Rob Dibble ignited a brawl when he threw a pitch behind the back of the Astros' Eric Yelding late in the game of a 4-1 reds loss and wound up on the bottom of a pile with Astros coach/former college wrestler Ed Ott, who put Dibble in such a choke hold his face turned blue." -- Cincinnati Enquirer

June 24, 1992

REDS 9, ASTROS 6

OTT vs. DIBBLE, The Rematch

CINCINNATI (AP) - Hal Morris hit a three-run homer and Glenn Braggs had a two-run, pinch-hit double as Cincinnati beat Houston in a game that featured a bench-clearing brawl.
     The brawl broke out after Morris homered during a six-run Reds rally in the fifth inning.  Pete Harnisch (3-7) threw the next pitch behind Reggie Sanders' head, setting off a free-for-all that held up play for eight minutes.  Harnisch, Braggs, Reds reliever Rob Dibble and an Astros coach, Ed Ott, were ejected for their part in the fight. - New York Times, June 25, 1992

Even Dickities fans liked this one:

"Thank God for Rob Dibble, who kept us entertained after the winning karma left. My personal favorite: June 24, 1992 against the Astros. The two teams had already built a healthy distaste for one another that season. So when a brawl broke out, Houston coach Ed Ott found Dibble and put a chokehold on him. It was the only time Dibble was ever silenced. Ever."

As a coach for Garner in Detroit, Ott was also involved in the infamous  Mike Sweeney - Jeff Weaver melee in Kansas City in 2001.

EmirOfSchmoe

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005, 02:30:23 pm »
It might have been interesting if there were a Nolan Ryan vs Ed Ott match.  I might pay to see that.