Author Topic: Ash off the Air  (Read 16589 times)

Lefty

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Ash off the Air
« on: December 20, 2005, 07:56:19 pm »
Brett Dolan & Dave Raymond hired.

"Hamilton will serve as the play-by-play analyst for Astros radio broadcasts during home games, with Dolan and Raymond sharing color analyst duties. For road games, Dolan and Raymond will share play-by-play duties along with pre- and post-game responsibilities."

The Link

Ashby seems like a good guy, hope he lands on his feet.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

Chad Qualls Himself

• Clark
    • View Profile
Re: Ash off the Air
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005, 08:03:25 pm »
Ive never heard the new two guys, but Alan was pretty good in the booth, in my opinion.

stubbyc

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005, 08:54:47 pm »
Pretty surprising. I liked Ashby for the most part, but he was impossible to listen to during Oswalt's starts. Every time Oswalt threw a fastball that wasn't at the knees on the corner Ashby would start complaining.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005, 09:52:56 pm »
i shall miss the ash. i didnt see that one comming.
forever is composed entirely of nows

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005, 10:00:05 pm »
Likewise, that's pretty surprising. Ash might have not been the most colorful person to confront a microphone, but you always knew in detail what was happening, and had happened, and it always was imparted with a great deal of insight. I'll miss him.

Who are Dolan and the other guy?
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

dholi

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005, 10:21:47 pm »

ash:
?I was informed the ball club was not of the opinion that I should be their lead broadcaster and that they had determined they wanted to go in an entirely new direction and that, therefore, I was being let go,? Ashby said. ?I was completely caught off guard and am devastated by the decision.?

The Link

this is bizarre

Texifornia

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005, 11:04:44 pm »
Ash didn't have a great "radio voice", but had improved the last couple of years. His timing and cadence were much better last year and he knew what the hell he was talking about.

Plus, he's a real Astro. I'll miss him.
He breezed him, one more time!

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005, 11:28:17 pm »
He also used the word destroyed.

He says they told him it was because he tried for the pbp job and didn't get it and they thought it might be a bad situation for him to work with the person who did.
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

Frobie

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005, 11:35:37 pm »
I have to say I'm a little disappointed by this.  Maybe in 6 months I'll be talking about how great Dolan and Raymond are, but I'm sad to see Ash go, especially in such an unceremonious way.

I wonder what sort of comments Milo is going to "sneak" into the broadcasts about this.  He was really pushing for Ashby to get the gig...  Should be interesting.  "Well, that's an interesting comment, Dave.  Not nearly as interesting as my former broadcast partner Alan Ashby would have made, though.  My oh my, he was one of the best in the business."

UpTooLate

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2005, 12:04:36 am »
On the bright side the Astros finally made an off season aquistion.  Damn important to shore up the radio broadcast booth prior to pitchers/catchers reporting to spring training.

Seriously though... I am bummed...no shocked to see Ash let go.  He was truly an Astro and his love for the team came through in his announcing without being a total Homer(same can be said of J.D.).  My first thought was that Milo was behind it, but the previous poster thinks the exact opposite, so who knows...
"Go with Christ" - Eric "The Dawg" Cartman

jwhudson

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2005, 12:17:48 am »
Just when you thought it was safe....I am very disappointed by this decision.  Let's replace someone we know with a couple of rookies we've never heard of from AAA.  This really stinks!  

CJM

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2005, 12:22:32 am »
It will be hard to make it through a season without "Ask Ash", or "What's in Ash's Pocket".  I wonder what Jimmy D. thinks about this.

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2005, 12:25:08 am »
Poor Mike Capps.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

Tralfaz

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2005, 12:30:19 am »
These guy's better be fucking great.  

Adit to add:  Shocking
RO RASROS!

Frobie

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2005, 12:46:05 am »
Well, I don't know shit about anything, so my rule-of-thumb would be to always bet against me.

Quote:

My first thought was that Milo was behind it, but the previous poster thinks the exact opposite, so who knows...

Funny you posted that.  Don't know what went on behind the scenes, but I listened to at least a couple of innings on the radio for probably 75% of the games last year because my computer is in a room with no TV and I'm too fucking stupid to figure out how to even start hooking up a wireless network.  Anyhoo, especially toward the end Milo would just gush about how great Ashby was.  Maybe when they went to the breaks they'd bicker like Nick and Jessica, I have no idea.  But I certainly had the impression that Milo wanted Ashby to be around in 2006, and to do the PBP for the road games most likely.

And since nobody has mentioned it yet, how much are we paying these new broadcasters?  And shouldn't we use that money to go out and get a catcher and shortshop who can hit?!  

Tralfaz

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2005, 12:49:36 am »
Somebody must have really enjoyed those Triple A Iowa Cubs broadcasts.  Brett Dolan '98-99, Dave Raymond 2000-'04.  At this point "Dolan and Raymond" sounds like a bad morning FM radio show.
RO RASROS!

the KEG

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2005, 03:42:56 am »
Yeah this seems like a pretty shitty way for them to treat a long-time franchise guy like Ash was.  

Didn't they do something similarly shitty to him in '89 when they released him? (he was having a bad season at that point though, if I remember right)

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2005, 08:33:49 am »
Could anybody really see it being Ashby? I couldn't. He's a great guy with a fantastic history with the club but as the person to eventually take over for Milo, he just didn't have the chops. I too thought Mike Capps would've been a great choice. Oh well, I hope these guys are good.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2005, 08:38:32 am »
This is the first move the club has made in a long time that really pisses me off. Ash is a good man, a loyal man, he did nothing wrong. He has improved each year. His analysis is fantastic and his pbp has gone from shitty in '98 to pretty good in '05. He did nothing to deserve this. I already hate the new guys on principal. They better be fucking great, they better be the 2nd coming of Vin and Mel.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2005, 09:39:09 am »
Quote:

Somebody must have really enjoyed those Triple A Iowa Cubs broadcasts.  Brett Dolan '98-99, Dave Raymond 2000-'04.  At this point "Dolan and Raymond" sounds like a bad morning FM radio show.

That's why such a show would be called "Ray and the Big D".  Or simply "The Morning Zoo".
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Andyzipp

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2005, 09:57:40 am »
Quote:

Didn't they do something similarly shitty to him in '89 when they released him? (he was having a bad season at that point though, if I remember right)

If by shitty, you mean they traded him, he invoked his 10/5 rights and refused, so they released him, then I guess.

David in Jackson

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2005, 10:24:29 am »
I travel to Tucson every year for a week and catch 3-4 Sidewinders games.  I have heard Dolan on the radio there more than a few times and noticed how much I liked him.  I think he will do a good job.

I'm sorry to see Ash go, but I'm also happy that a guy who has worked his way up without a big league career or a father (and/or grandfather) broadcaster is getting a big league job.
"I literally love Justin Verlander." -- Jose Altuve

BUWebguy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2005, 10:43:22 am »
One more "I'm surprised, too!" here -- not that he didn't get the PBP job (I was never impressed with him in that role), but his analysis was pretty spot on. Plus, I'm a big fan of keeping guys in the Astros family.

Quote:

If by shitty, you mean they traded him, he invoked his 10/5 rights and refused, so they released him, then I guess.

What was that deal? That was just before I got into the Astros.
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
So Let Me Get This Straight
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2005, 10:47:27 am »
Milo is retiring so Ash is off the air and Milo "Dead Air" Hamilton is still broadcasting?  WTF?
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

EmirOfSchmoe

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: So Let Me Get This Straight
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2005, 10:49:35 am »
I don't get it either but I wish Ash all the luck.  I kinda felt this way when the Astros fired Gene Elston.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2005, 10:51:11 am »
I always trusted what Ashby said, and liked his intensity about what he was seeing.  That sucks.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

lc_db

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
    • I_dont_need_no_stinkin_homepage.com
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2005, 11:06:03 am »
Quote:

Milo is retiring so Ash is off the air and Milo "Dead Air" Hamilton is still broadcasting?  WTF?

Which is why they need two guys to fill the booth.

Ash had come a LONG way from when he started.  In the beginning he was almost stiff/robotic in his delivery, becoming adept at the all to frequent Milo cover-ups.  
(He was no J.D. though)

Honestly.... his PBP did need work, but if ANYone could have worked through not getting the promotion and maintaining a working relationship with who did.... it was Ashby.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2005, 11:09:13 am »
Shut the fuck up, Donny!

lc_db

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
    • I_dont_need_no_stinkin_homepage.com
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2005, 11:24:16 am »
Quote:

Shut the fuck up, Donny!

Everything is a travesty with you.

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2005, 11:37:07 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Shut the fuck up, Donny!

Thats just like, your opinion, man.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2005, 11:38:43 am »
Quote:

Well, they'll be fucking better than Milo and Ash.  For all the love for Ashby as a former Astro, he was absolutely terrible as an announcer.  Brutal.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2005, 11:41:33 am »
Quote:

This is the first move the club has made in a long time that really pisses me off. Ash is a good man, a loyal man, he did nothing wrong. He has improved each year. His analysis is fantastic and his pbp has gone from shitty in '98 to pretty good in '05. He did nothing to deserve this. I already hate the new guys on principal. They better be fucking great, they better be the 2nd coming of Vin and Mel.

Wow.  I cannot believe that people are jumping for joy over this.  Milo and Ash were probably the single worst broadcast tandum in organized baseball.  Yet now they're being compared to Vin Scully and Mel Allen?  Unbelievable.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2005, 11:42:02 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Shut the fuck up, Donny!

This aggression will not stand...man.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2005, 11:44:17 am »
Thanks Hawk. I couldn't bring myself to say it but I'm looking forward to the new voices.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2005, 11:46:40 am »
Quote:

Thanks Hawk. I couldn't bring myself to say it but I'm looking forward to the new voices.

Well, as much as we may have loved the emperor, he was stading right in front of us completely naked.

T. J.

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2005, 11:49:06 am »
Quote:

Count me in as happy about this too.  Sounds like they could've handled it better, but c'mon people, I think you think Ashby was good just because of the comparison with Milo.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2005, 11:50:10 am »
Quote:

Let's replace someone we know with a couple of rookies we've never heard of from AAA.

Broadcasters have to come from somewhere.

JaneDoe

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • Missing in Action
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2005, 11:52:33 am »
I agree. I couldn't stand Ashby.  I just hope these new guys do not follow the new "Fox Sports" hype-the-crap-out-of-it style.  I wish they could have assigned Jimmy D or Larry Dierker to full time radio responsibilities and the other to full time TV with Bill Brown, instead of platooning them both on TV.

Oh, and the new guys better show at least some moderate homerism. I don't wanna hear them showing any love to the Co-ards or the sCrUBS.
"My hammy is a little tight. I wish I was like Ausmus. He's Jewish and isn't allowed to have a pulled hamstring."

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2005, 12:05:34 pm »
Quote:

Well, as much as we may have loved the emperor, he was stading right in front of us completely naked.

Ewww.

cc

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2005, 12:26:59 pm »
Quote:

He also used the word destroyed.

He says they told him it was because he tried for the pbp job and didn't get it and they thought it might be a bad situation for him to work with the person who did.

I find this a little odd.  Did they have to hear him audition before they decided that he wasn't their choice?  He's been "auditioning" for years.  Why didn't they just let him go?

Some courtesy they showed him.
"I'm against the knee-jerk dismissal of knee-jerk reactions."

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2005, 12:48:08 pm »
Sorry to say, in broadcasting this happens all the time. Contracts aren't renewed. An opportunity came up to go in a new direction and the team is taking it. I'm thinking that the team may have knew Ash wasn't the one for a while and Milo had Ashby's back. Now that he's semi-retired, they decided to try something new.

I don't know what they could have done to make it easier for Ash except to keep him on, which it sounds like they didn't want to do.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2005, 12:52:36 pm »
Quote:

Some courtesy they showed him.

Yeah, no shit, Merry Fuckin' Christmas!

cc

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2005, 12:59:56 pm »
Not that they owed him a courtesy interview/audition.  But why say he's a candidate when they know they're going in a different direction?

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2005, 01:00:28 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Well, they'll be fucking better than Milo and Ash.  For all the love for Ashby as a former Astro, he was absolutely terrible as an announcer.  Brutal.

Yeah, well, that's just like, your opinion, man.

However, if he is "absolutely terrible" as an announcer  and "brutal" now, how would you describe him seven years ago? Just curious about which adjectives you'd use, 'cause he has improved. Even the most jaded cynic couldn't deny that.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2005, 01:11:55 pm »
Quote:

Milo and Ash were probably the single worst broadcast tandum in organized baseball.  Yet now they're being compared to Vin Scully and Mel Allen?  Unbelievable.

No they're not being compared to Vin Scully and Mel Allen. Don't be so literal. And Milo plus _________, equal the worst tandem in baseball. Be that as it may, it wasn't Ash that 'caused that distinction. Still, I haven't listened to every broadcast tandum in organized baseball, so I'll have to take your word. Unfathomable.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2005, 01:17:18 pm »
Would telling him before the auditions have really been any different?

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2005, 01:56:54 pm »
Quote:

However, if he is "absolutely terrible" as an announcer  and "brutal" now, how would you describe him seven years ago?

"Make you want to stab icepicks in your own ears"

pravata

« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2005, 01:59:27 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

However, if he is "absolutely terrible" as an announcer  and "brutal" now, how would you describe him seven years ago?

Causes a frantic grab for the Worrell button on the radio?

strosrays

« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2005, 03:11:36 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Causes a frantic grab for the Worrell button on the radio?

Well, I figured Woo-Woo would be invoked sooner or later here.  All through the talent search, I kept thinking, you know, there's a guy on the fringes of all this, (extremely) tanned, rested, and ready.  Thank goodness for small favors.

I saw Ashby recently on some locally-produced interview show on Channel 8... can't remember the host's name, Ernie something-or-other.  I think his family owned the Armadillo World HQ... Anyway, it became clear Ashby was there primarily to promote himself for the P-B-P job.  He said something to the effect that he had served his apprenticeship, and now he deserved the chance.  I had a hard time getting my mind around the idea of Ashby as  the "Voice of the Astros", but I don't want to pile on the guy.  And, after seeing that interview and how confident he seemed of his chances, I don't doubt at all he was 'devastated', even 'detroyed' by the Astros' decision.

I guess the Third Way is to be happy he didn't get the job, but be very sympathetic to Ashby the man.

Holly

• View Profile
    • The Dutton Family
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2005, 03:57:08 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Shut the fuck up, Donny!

This aggression will not stand...man.

Dude just wanted his [job] back. It really tied the [game] together. Or should I say, "hey watch it! there's an Ashby here."
Don't put the baby in the bulldozer.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2005, 04:04:22 pm »
Quote:

Poor Mike Capps.

Amen!  I would think that this is almost as tough for him as for Ash.  And Capps does a very good job at RR.
Up in the Air

Foghorn

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2005, 04:06:38 pm »
Fuck Ashby.  He was shitty.  I'll reserve my indignation for when they shitcan somebody worth a shit.

Still, its seems odd that a team with 2 kick ass color guys (Dierker and JD), can't simply have one do TV and the other radio.

Is Milo dead yet?  can't wait for those first few spring training games where he'll be working with the rookies for the first time.  Should be OUT-FUCKING-STANDING.
You see pal, that's who I am, and you're nothing. Nice guy, I don't give a shit. Good father, fuck you. Go home and play with your kids. You wanna work here, close. You think this is abuse? You think this is abuse, you cocksucker? You can't take this, how can you take the abuse you get on a sit?

DVauthrin

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2005, 04:06:53 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Wow.  I cannot believe that people are jumping for joy over this.  Milo and Ash were probably the single worst broadcast tandum in organized baseball.  Yet now they're being compared to Vin Scully and Mel Allen?  Unbelievable.

You mean maybe now when I'm driving in my car and the game is on, I can get a score update regularly?  Jeez, it was so annoying to have to wait multiple innings to catch the game score.
Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.

JaneDoe

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • Missing in Action
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2005, 04:07:45 pm »
Quote:

Still, its seems odd that a team with 2 kick ass color guys (Dierker and JD), can't simply have one do TV and the other radio.

I totally agree.
"My hammy is a little tight. I wish I was like Ausmus. He's Jewish and isn't allowed to have a pulled hamstring."

cc

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2005, 04:57:59 pm »
Quote:

Would telling him before the auditions have really been any different?

Probably not, unless releasing him early would have given him time to catch on with another club.  Ok, that's for players.  In the NFL.  And NBA.

Bottom line is Ashby was bad, just like Giff Nielsen.  I'm just saying that I would never have given him an interview or audition for the PBP job in the first place.  Even for Milo's sake.

pravata

« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2005, 05:20:06 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

I totally agree.

JD and Milo, Milo can't keep up with Deshaies and JD wouldn't backfill Milo's gloss overs.  I think there was some issue with Dierker and Milo in the same booth.

Foghorn

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2005, 05:33:01 pm »
Quote:

JD and Milo, Milo can't keep up with Deshaies and JD wouldn't backfill Milo's gloss overs.  I think there was some issue with Dierker and Milo in the same booth.

Well, theres one real quick and easy way to fix this delimma...

Actually, I think the JD/Milo paring would be b-e-a-utiful.  Milo rambles on for a couple minute, JD sneaks in a one liner here and there, Milo oblivious to what JD says, keeps on rambling.
You see pal, that's who I am, and you're nothing. Nice guy, I don't give a shit. Good father, fuck you. Go home and play with your kids. You wanna work here, close. You think this is abuse? You think this is abuse, you cocksucker? You can't take this, how can you take the abuse you get on a sit?

pravata

« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2005, 05:39:07 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Actually, I think the JD/Milo paring would be b-e-a-utiful.  Milo rambles on for a couple minute, JD sneaks in a one liner here and there, Milo oblivious to what JD says, keeps on rambling.

From Dierker's book

Dierker ....asked his brother in California to send him more Hawaiian apparel, .... When the new shirts arrived, one was decorated with depictions of the old woodie station wagons that became popular with surfers back in the 1940s.

This gave Dierker an idea.

He figured that Hamilton, who's considerably older, likely had no idea that "woodie" is a slang term sometimes used to described the male sex organ during the, ahem, state of arousal.

Before the two went on the air with the game broadcast, Dierker pointed to one of the station wagons on his shirt and asked, "Hey, Milo. You know what that is?"

"Uh, a station wagon."

"No," said Dierker, "this is a woodie, man. You should know that. It comes from your era. These things were the rage when I was in high school in California. They were surfer cars."

"I didn't know they called them that," Hamilton replied.

After the game was underway, Dierker asked his partner on the air how he liked his new Hawaiian shirt.

"You mean the one with all the woodies on it?" Hamilton replied, while a TV audience of thousands watched and listened.

"Yeah," Dierker said. "When you were a young man, did you ever have a woodie?"

"Oh, no. We were much too poor," Hamilton said.

"Boy, that's really poor," Dierker said, trying to suppress his laughter.

The Link

Foghorn

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2005, 05:43:13 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

From Dierker's book

Dierker ....asked his brother in California to send him more Hawaiian apparel, .... When the new shirts arrived, one was decorated with depictions of the old woodie station wagons that became popular with surfers back in the 1940s.

This gave Dierker an idea.

He figured that Hamilton, who's considerably older, likely had no idea that "woodie" is a slang term sometimes used to described the male sex organ during the, ahem, state of arousal.

Before the two went on the air with the game broadcast, Dierker pointed to one of the station wagons on his shirt and asked, "Hey, Milo. You know what that is?"

"Uh, a station wagon."

"No," said Dierker, "this is a woodie, man. You should know that. It comes from your era. These things were the rage when I was in high school in California. They were surfer cars."

"I didn't know they called them that," Hamilton replied.

After the game was underway, Dierker asked his partner on the air how he liked his new Hawaiian shirt.

"You mean the one with all the woodies on it?" Hamilton replied, while a TV audience of thousands watched and listened.

"Yeah," Dierker said. "When you were a young man, did you ever have a woodie?"

"Oh, no. We were much too poor," Hamilton said.

The Link

And to think that was at least 10 years ago.  You gotta wonder how much further down the Road to Senility Milo has traveled since then.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2005, 05:46:19 pm »

*snicker*...i got him to say woodie on tv...*snicker*

astrox

• Prime Time Player
  • Evan's Guitar
    • View Profile
    • tinyeblog.blogspot.com
Point and Counterpoint
« Reply #60 on: December 22, 2005, 02:06:51 pm »
 Link

"He bailed Milo out.
How disappointing to hear the Astros have replaced Alan Ashby, a connection to the 1986 playoff team, in the broadcast booth.

For at least the last two seasons, Ashby has had to cover for the mistakes made by an aging Milo Hamilton. Milo simply can't follow the ball anymore. Countless times Ashby would gently guide the fan until Milo could recover. And Ashby did this without stepping on Hamilton's toes. If any move was appropriate, it would have been to promote Ashby while retiring Milo.

DARRELL DESCHENSKY, Spring"
--------------------------------
"Not all opposed.
Although I respect what he did on the field for them, I was relieved to hear that the Astros finally released Alan Ashby. For years now, I have turned down my radio during his play-by-play innings, and I was dreading the possibility of a permanent takeover.

His monotone announcing is overly precise, and his delivery sounds the same during an Astros' home run, foul ball or groundout. When Ashby's in color-commentator mode, he spends most of his time contradicting Milo's statements rather than adding new and interesting details. The result is a choppy broadcast that's stressful to listen to (which is a shame, because Milo is amazing).

I know this was a tough decision for the Astros, but they made the right one.

NATHAN WELLBORNE, Houston"
News that is sufficiently bad somehow carries its own guarantee of truth.  Only good reports need confirmation.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2016, 07:44:42 am »
In the interest of fairness - found this great thread where it was generally acknowledged Ashby was completely terrible back when they booted him the first time.
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 03, 2016, 07:51:52 am »
Damn, I thought I was in heaven for a moment. 

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2016, 09:11:18 am »
Damn, I thought I was in heaven for a moment.

same reaction
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Knoxbanedoodle

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2016, 09:36:54 am »
Ditto. There oughta be a law.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2016, 09:39:52 am »
I sincerely apologize, I didn't even notice the title.
  -  Orson Welles

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2016, 09:51:06 am »
welcome to the dark side

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2016, 10:06:19 am »
My heart leapt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2016, 10:11:52 am »
I got really excited. Dammit

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2016, 10:26:02 am »
I got really excited. Dammit

Same here.  And I just realized that I started this thread.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 03, 2016, 10:39:04 am »
While my heart leapt as well, our luck would be Ash replaced with Jake Lewin.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 03, 2016, 11:20:10 am »

That would be horrific....sloppy Ranger seconds.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2016, 11:56:01 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umDr0mPuyQc

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #73 on: June 03, 2016, 11:57:09 am »
same reaction
Same here. What a letdown.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 03, 2016, 12:19:40 pm »
This is killing us one by one, it seems. Lock thread/shut it down/nuke from orbit.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2016, 01:58:55 pm »
Same here.  And I just realized that I started this thread.
Strike 1.
Up in the Air

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2016, 03:07:47 pm »
I'm surprised in reading the old posts that he was relatively well thought of back then.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2016, 03:09:56 pm »
I'm surprised in reading the old posts that he was relatively well thought of back then.

That was why I originally revived the other two (I was surprised as well). Then I found this one where, despite some positive comments, the general view was that he sucked. Obviously not nearly as vehement as today (wonder if he's gotten more annoying or if it's more annoying on TV or both).
  -  Orson Welles

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2016, 03:17:48 pm »
I had long since concluded that it's both.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregĂşntale a Pedro Navaja

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2016, 03:32:41 pm »
That was why I originally revived the other two (I was surprised as well). Then I found this one where, despite some positive comments, the general view was that he sucked. Obviously not nearly as vehement as today (wonder if he's gotten more annoying or if it's more annoying on TV or both).

I think a lot of color guys would have been disappointments following Deshaies who was a rare talent. I really would like to kick Crane in the nuts for letting him get away.

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2016, 08:12:12 pm »
I think a lot of color guys would have been disappointments following Deshaies who was a rare talent. I really would like to kick Crane in the nuts for letting him get away.
For some reason I have a memory of that being perceived as a Postolos (remember him?) decision/failure more so than Crane.
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2016, 10:49:41 pm »
For some reason I have a memory of that being perceived as a Postolos (remember him?) decision/failure more so than Crane.

I think that is correct. I had forgotten about him.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 03, 2016, 10:59:30 pm »
Wasn't it also about having lessened exposure on CSN Houston vs. much greater exposure on WGN?  I'll partially blame Drayton for that too.

AstroFrog

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2016, 08:45:30 am »
Can somebody right a short explainer about the issues with Ashby?  I am out of market and therefore don't get to listen much.  I did like him a lot the first time around, and apparently most posters did too at that time.  Now, not so much.  What's happened?

While we are at it, what's the consensus on the radio team of Robert Ford and Steve Sparks?  They seem like pros, though it feels odd to have a a booth without any previous connection to the club.
"Rudy, after 35 years of religious study I have come up with only two hard, incontrovertible facts: there is a God, and, I'm not Him."

-Father Cavanaugh, "Rudy"

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2016, 09:03:31 am »
Can somebody right a short explainer about the issues with Ashby?  I am out of market and therefore don't get to listen much.  I did like him a lot the first time around, and apparently most posters did too at that time.  Now, not so much.  What's happened?

While we are at it, what's the consensus on the radio team of Robert Ford and Steve Sparks?  They seem like pros, though it feels odd to have a a booth without any previous connection to the club.

I love them. Ford is the consummate play-by-play guy, and Sparks provides lots of good insight from a player's perspective.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2016, 09:12:44 am »
I love them. Ford is the consummate play-by-play guy, and Sparks provides lots of good insight from a player's perspective.

I agree regarding the radio team. I just don't hear them much because I prefer the televised version when I can.
To me, the Ashby situation is a lot because of his lack of adding anything in the way of insight or expertise to  the game. He asks a lot of questions. I would expect him to tell me what he thinks rather than propose questions. It comes across as if he really doesn't have a relationship with these players or show up early to visit with them or the coaches  for background. He also talks way too much for my pleasure.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 06, 2016, 09:21:50 am »
I agree regarding the radio team. I just don't hear them much because I prefer the televised version when I can.
To me, the Ashby situation is a lot because of his lack of adding anything in the way of insight or expertise to  the game. He asks a lot of questions. I would expect him to tell me what he thinks rather than propose questions. It comes across as if he really doesn't have a relationship with these players or show up early to visit with them or the coaches  for background. He also talks way too much for my pleasure.
He seems to enjoy his own voice. Bottom line, he acts like a talk show host trying to stir up trouble and generate calls rather than as a color commentator.
Up in the Air

mrpink

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2016, 09:32:35 am »
The radio team kills it.  I'm not sure how Ford got the interview, but he's terrific at PBP and I think entertaining enough to do color if needed despite not being a former player.

Sparks does have a Houston connection, but I had to look it up.  He went to Sam Houston and was signed to a minor league contract by the Astros before he retired.  I also came across this interesting tidbit from Wikipedia...

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1368&dat=19940316&id=gJZQAAAAIBAJ&sjid=EhMEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6208,4367290

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2016, 11:44:49 am »
To really explain Ashby's shittyness to someone who hasn't heard him much would take way too long. The main thing for me is he sounds stupid and stiff. Zero sense of humor, uses too many words to say simple things, and somehow manages to impart almost none of the insight and knowledge that you would expect a guy who caught in the majors for so long to have. It's like he spends so much energy trying to talk in his TV Voice that he can't actually think of normal, interesting things to say about a baseball game.

Oh, and he bitches a lot about shit that bothers him, and just kinda has this vague negativity about him.

In other words, it's hard to imagine a worse replacement for Jim Deshaies.

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 06, 2016, 12:37:58 pm »
To really explain Ashby's shittyness to someone who hasn't heard him much would take way too long. The main thing for me is he sounds stupid and stiff. Zero sense of humor, uses too many words to say simple things, and somehow manages to impart almost none of the insight and knowledge that you would expect a guy who caught in the majors for so long to have. It's like he spends so much energy trying to talk in his TV Voice that he can't actually think of normal, interesting things to say about a baseball game.

Oh, and he bitches a lot about shit that bothers him, and just kinda has this vague negativity about him.

In other words, it's hard to imagine a worse replacement for Jim Deshaies.

On top of all that, he constantly harps about the strike zone, is slavishly attached to the Pitch Tracker, and when he's wrong about a pitch he thought looked good but is shown to be a ball, he never backs down but just keeps bitching and makes excuses.

Also, whenever he gets teased or the rest of the team is joking, he seems to either take things way over the top or get kind of butthurt and then spend the rest of the game looking for something to snipe back with.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 06, 2016, 12:54:42 pm »
constantly negative about the team and players. acts like the visiting broadcaster at times.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 06, 2016, 01:15:47 pm »
Since we're piling on.....I get tired of all the Julia-attention and "look at me" stuff that goes on. Hey, I know you are living the life....just  tell me something about the game that I don't know. Frankly I hope someone from the Astros reads this stuff.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2016, 01:28:48 pm »
Ash seems to revel in playing the contrarian. Someone already mentioned that he will never correct himself if replay shows him wrong, but it seems to me that he dives in to advocate a ridiculous position as some sort of duty. And i'm not talking about some controversial issue like the DH or batting the pitcher 8th- he'll jump to a ridiculous conclusion like a runner should be safe when it's quite clear from my couch that he's out by 3 feet.

It could be that he honestly doesn't know the 'right' answer because he is distracted by the 6 electronic devices cluttering his desk he proudly displayed between innings a few weeks ago. It happens with such frequency, however, that I think he assumes it makes him sound wiser or more experienced if he doesn't 'jump to a conclusion'- even when there really isn't two sides to an issue or a reason to pontificate until after the replay is examined.

All of this is exceptionally irritating when he is hedging against the Astros on a call.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 06, 2016, 01:31:32 pm »
Since we're piling on.....I get tired of all the Julia-attention and "look at me" stuff that goes on. Hey, I know you are living the life....just  tell me something about the game that I don't know. Frankly I hope someone from the Astros reads this stuff.

I can almost guarantee you that they do read what we write. We dogged DoRay so badly that they axed them. We're their most loyal and honest fans.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2016, 01:35:37 pm »
I'll also add that I had the pleasure of listening to the radio team a few times over the last couple of weeks and I actually learned more about the team in those few minutes then I have all year from Ash. It likely helps that I actually had the volume on, but they were drawing on conversations and interviews that they had recently done with one team member or another.

There is another thread where their information about McCullers changing his mechanics is being relayed- and perhaps I've missed it due to the Worrell button being engaged, but i haven't heard a word about this on the telecast.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2016, 01:41:16 pm »
keep this going.

I think he tries to be Tim McCarver Lite. he sometimes takes ridiculous positions as though he is on the cutting edge and no one else has thought of his great insight.

AstroFrog

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 06, 2016, 01:43:08 pm »
To really explain Ashby's shittyness to someone who hasn't heard him much would take way too long. The main thing for me is he sounds stupid and stiff. Zero sense of humor, uses too many words to say simple things, and somehow manages to impart almost none of the insight and knowledge that you would expect a guy who caught in the majors for so long to have.

Is this new, as in, not how he was pre-2005 when many on here were upset he was let go?
"Rudy, after 35 years of religious study I have come up with only two hard, incontrovertible facts: there is a God, and, I'm not Him."

-Father Cavanaugh, "Rudy"

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 06, 2016, 01:43:53 pm »
I think he tries to be Tim McCarver Lite.

Intriguing. My father and I made this exact comment a week ago Sunday.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 06, 2016, 01:49:11 pm »
Intriguing. My father and I made this exact comment a week ago Sunday.

great minds

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 06, 2016, 01:55:46 pm »
Is this new, as in, not how he was pre-2005 when many on here were upset he was let go?

I don't remember anyone being upset, but I don't remember any wild celebration, either.

I never liked him back then but he was not the same relentlessly negative dick that he's become. I wonder if he still holds a grudge against the team for not getting the gig when they hired DoRay.
Y todo lo que sube baja

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 06, 2016, 01:58:46 pm »
I don't remember anyone being upset, but I don't remember any wild celebration, either.

I never liked him back then but he was not the same relentlessly negative dick that he's become. I wonder if he still holds a grudge against the team for not getting the gig when they hired DoRay.

no doubt. I have it from an impeccable source he expected to be hired without an interview and was a total jerk during his interview. he shot both feet completely off.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 06, 2016, 02:45:54 pm »
I'll also add that I had the pleasure of listening to the radio team a few times over the last couple of weeks and I actually learned more about the team in those few minutes then I have all year from Ash. It likely helps that I actually had the volume on, but they were drawing on conversations and interviews that they had recently done with one team member or another.

There is another thread where their information about McCullers changing his mechanics is being relayed- and perhaps I've missed it due to the Worrell button being engaged, but i haven't heard a word about this on the telecast.

I totally agree that you will learn more about the team listening to the radio guys. Without knowing this as a fact I will bet that Sparks spends more time on the field before the game talking to the players and coaches. I can't believe that a former catcher adds so little to a broadcast. These are the guys that end up managing. BTW, I have heard about McCullers changing his mechanics on the tv-cast. From Brown.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #102 on: June 06, 2016, 04:11:33 pm »
 I do not need to hear him talking about what he is eating there at the ballpark 14 times in an hour. Plus, every time he says "Blummer", I cringe.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 06, 2016, 04:17:08 pm »
no doubt. I have it from an impeccable source he expected to be hired without an interview and was a total jerk during his interview. he shot both feet completely off.

You've mentioned this before and I have no doubt that it is completely true. So I wonder why the hell they would hire him again after the first debacle.
Y todo lo que sube baja

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 06, 2016, 04:19:55 pm »
You've mentioned this before and I have no doubt that it is completely true. So I wonder why the hell they would hire him again after the first debacle.

Different decision-makers?

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 06, 2016, 05:12:16 pm »

See for yourself - this is literally the thread about it.
  -  Orson Welles

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 06, 2016, 05:21:56 pm »
See for yourself - this is literally the thread about it.

And every time I see the topic I get my hopes up again.

Radio-Ashby was appreciated because he did a very good job of translating Milo.  He knew Milo's cadence well and had a great touch of peppering in actual facts and descriptions around the WHHOOOOOOAAAAASSSSS!!! and Blue STARS!!  The prototypical example is the end of the 18 inning NLDS Game 4 when Ashby waited for Milo to stop moaning and peppered in, with mild enthusiasm, "Chris Burke!"  Ashby provided just the right counter-balance to Milo's The Voice to let you know what was actually happening. 

Current TV Ashby is an insufferable bore who is far too pleased with his intriguing observations and is irrationally negative about every thing that he "observes", whether the thing actually happened or not. 
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 06, 2016, 07:45:16 pm »
He was never on TV before. He was Milo's color guy and did PBP for the 4th and 5th innings. He didn't have the same opportunity to show his ass back then as he does now.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 07, 2016, 08:31:11 am »

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 07, 2016, 09:03:19 am »
Ford and Sparks are great, I'd love for them to TV & Radio. 

Ashby.  He isn't entertaining or funny and if he is knowledgeable (I assume he is) he is horrible at communicating it to the listeners.   I cant ever remember listening to Ashby and coming away with a chuckle (unless laughing at him) or feeling like I learned something.  My usual reaction after listening to Ashby is indifference mixed with being annoyed.

I thought Mike Stanton did great as a fill in for Ashby last week, I'd be perfectly happy with Mike as Ashbys replacement.

Hopefully the Astros will reach back out to Deshaies, I have heard he'd likely be open to returning now.

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 07, 2016, 09:15:45 am »
Really?  Open to returning?  They should break the bank to get him back.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 07, 2016, 09:21:30 am »
Ford and Sparks are great, I'd love for them to TV & Radio. 

Ashby.  He isn't entertaining or funny and if he is knowledgeable (I assume he is) he is horrible at communicating it to the listeners.   I cant ever remember listening to Ashby and coming away with a chuckle (unless laughing at him) or feeling like I learned something.  My usual reaction after listening to Ashby is indifference mixed with being annoyed.

I thought Mike Stanton did great as a fill in for Ashby last week, I'd be perfectly happy with Mike as Ashbys replacement.

Hopefully the Astros will reach back out to Deshaies, I have heard he'd likely be open to returning now.

Why would he be open to returning now? Has some element changed or gone away that caused him to look elsewhere? Postolos?
I would think he's having a blast on the northside of Chicago with what is going on there.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 07, 2016, 09:23:52 am »
Why would he be open to returning now? Has some element changed or gone away that caused him to look elsewhere? Postolos?
I would think he's having a blast on the northside of Chicago with what is going on there.
I recall that part of his reasoning was that his daughter was going to school there.  Maybe she is done or almost done.  Maybe the Cubs and their fans suck.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 07, 2016, 09:30:46 am »
Cubs network isn't what it used to be and it is cold.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Dark Star

• Veteran Role Player
  • Stella Obscura
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 07, 2016, 11:50:36 am »
Etc., etc. ...  Maybe the Cubs and their fans suck.

Yes, maybe.
Shall we go, you and I, while we can,
Through the transitive nightfall of diamonds?

Nate Colbert

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 07, 2016, 02:00:13 pm »
I recall that part of his reasoning was that his daughter was going to school there.  Maybe she is done or almost done. 

I think he moved his entire family to Chicago but FWIW Libby Deshaies did graduate from law school and is now clerking for the Illinois Supreme Court.

According to this, JD's contract (unless there was an extension signed since then) expires after this season.

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 07, 2016, 06:51:23 pm »
Where do I sign the petition? I would love to have JD back

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #117 on: June 07, 2016, 08:57:59 pm »
Where do I sign the petition? I would love to have JD back

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
So say we all.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 08, 2016, 10:12:58 am »
i was flipping thourgh the channels and heard his voice so recgonizible

Gizzmonic

• Space City Carbohydrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 08, 2016, 03:53:10 pm »
I don't get the TV broadcasts in San Antonio unless they're playing the Rangers, so I've gotten used to radio only. Ford and Sparks are my constant companions now, night after night...

That's not weird, is it?
Grab another Coke and let's die

WVastro

• View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 08, 2016, 04:29:10 pm »
Is the alternate radio audio with video available on the AppleTV MLB app? I couldn't seem to find it....

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 08, 2016, 08:06:21 pm »
with all the things that have been said on this site and you ask if that is weird?

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #122 on: June 09, 2016, 07:26:21 am »
Is the alternate radio audio with video available on the AppleTV MLB app? I couldn't seem to find it....

I'll sometimes spin up the radio feed on my phone while watching the game (on mute) on my tablet. It works ok like 50% of the time but the other 50% not so much as the audio/video can get out of sync.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

David in Jackson

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 09, 2016, 08:49:03 am »
Listened to Robert Ford and Steve Sparks (radio feed) while streaming/watching the game on MLB package last night - works great in perfect sync.
"I literally love Justin Verlander." -- Jose Altuve

Gizzmonic

• Space City Carbohydrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 09, 2016, 11:11:58 am »
with all the things that have been said on this site and you ask if that is weird?

Good point. I also forgot to mention, that Ford/Sparks are consummate pros and I really enjoy listening to them. Ford gets slightly too negative every once in awhile, but I'd give 'em an A overall. Very happy with that team.
Grab another Coke and let's die