Author Topic: ESPN Rocket Rumor  (Read 3355 times)

Texifornia

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
ESPN Rocket Rumor
« on: December 11, 2005, 11:14:05 pm »
Boston is said to be interested. Clemens said to also be  interested.

I can't say anything's impossible with Clemens, so why not?
He breezed him, one more time!

Tralfaz

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
Re: ESPN Rocket Rumor
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2005, 12:53:27 am »
Roger holds a grudge against the Red Sox for labeling him "in the twilight of his career" when they opted not to resign him following the '96 season.  Big grudge guy that one.
RO RASROS!

otterj

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 01:51:28 am »
For what's it's worth, Stark just listed his Clemens odds on the entertainment and sports programming network at:

Astros 35%
Rangers 30%
Retires 20%
Yankees 10%
Red Sox 4%
Other team 1%

30% Rangers? To help them get to 80 wins?

Reuben

• Pope
    • View Profile
    • art
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 02:15:30 am »
Quote:

Roger holds a grudge against the Red Sox for labeling him "in the twilight of his career" when they opted not to resign him following the '96 season.  Big grudge guy that one.

Yes, but, Grudge vs. $$- Who do you think wins?
"Come check us out in the Game Zone. We don’t bite. Unless you say something idiotic." -Mr. Happy

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 02:16:15 am »
He listed out all those numbers on tv?

Must've been riveting programming.
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

otterj

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 02:21:53 am »
Riveting? It was more than that. Think of the most incredible word that you can think of and multiple it by infinity. At least, imo.

cougar

• I dare you
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 05:17:03 am »
Quote:

Riveting? It was more than that. Think of the most incredible word that you can think of and multiple it by infinity. At least, imo.

Rivity?

jasonact

• View Profile
    • www.jasonmartinmft.com
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 09:25:44 am »
Stark basically said that if Clemens pitches for any MLB team next season, it will almost certainly be for a team in Texas. My guess is that if he decides to play, it will be the Astros beginning in June or late May. Yankees and Red Sox won't offer him the same perks to return (and really can't do so), and the Rangers are probably still too far away from seriously competeing for a championship. That leaves a shortened Astros season as a pretty good option.
phew. for a minute there, I lost myself
- Radiohead

Cnote

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 11:32:03 am »
Quote:

Stark basically said that if Clemens pitches for any MLB team next season, it will almost certainly be for a team in Texas. My guess is that if he decides to play, it will be the Astros beginning in June or late May. Yankees and Red Sox won't offer him the same perks to return (and really can't do so), and the Rangers are probably still too far away from seriously competeing for a championship. That leaves a shortened Astros season as a pretty good option.

And you can add that Buck Showalter is a zero-perks manager.  Thats why I say he won't end up in Arlington.  This is a guy who requires his team to warm up in full gameday attire before each game, we're talking 100+ degrees at 5:30.  Also, Buck must have the biggest ego in the dugout too, see, A-rod, Soriano, soon to add Hank Blaylock.
Shocks...Pegs...Lucky!

Froback

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 12:15:36 pm »
Quote:

Boston is said to be interested. Clemens said to also be  interested.

I can't say anything's impossible with Clemens, so why not?

I heard an interesting quote from some "supposed" baseball "expert" who said:

'I never believe any rumors that come out of New York or Boston'

He then went on to point out that he is almost never wrong when he reports "rumors" that way.  Something about with that many different writers and the same info going around, they have to "invent" stuff to write about, otherwise there isn't anything new because someone else has already reported on it.

Kent's Moustache

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2005, 01:26:57 pm »
Quote:

Something about with that many different writers and the same info going around, they have to "invent" stuff to write about, otherwise there isn't anything new because someone else has already reported on it.

That's also likely a result of the fact that the players, coaches, and front office suits won't talk to them or offer them anything meaningful... because most baseball writers are self-absorbed pricks who never played baseball beyond Little League and with whom you wouldn't want to share a free cold beer.

And, I can tell you from first-hand knowledge that the foregoing applies equally as well to some of the Comical's writers as it does to their hack counterparts in New York and Boston.
"Go play intramurals, brother.  Go play intramurals..."

Froback

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2005, 03:29:41 pm »
Quote:

And, I can tell you from first-hand knowledge that the foregoing applies equally as well to some of the Comical's writers as it does to their hack counterparts in New York and Boston.

There is a distinct difference.  The NY and Bos writers can actually write (most of them at least).  AND NY and Bos actually know baseball and follow the local team, typically Comical writers typically cannot do both for any sport you might name.  Another difference is that NY and Bos show strong homer-ism (over-rating their team and players vs others).  But they reflect the typcial fan base they write to as well... maybe there is a correlation...  While most of us here are die-hard Astros fans... I have learned that the majority of Houstonians are not.

Texifornia

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2005, 04:43:40 pm »
Quote:

Yea but this was Chris  FREAKING Berman from  E  FREAKING  SP  FREAKING  N !!!

How could it be wrong?
He breezed him, one more time!

S.P. Rodriguez

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2005, 04:59:32 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

How could it be wrong?

Berman is the biggest sunshine pumper at ESPN!  Have you ever seen that guy cover a baseball game?  Awful!  All he ever talks about is how great Barry Bonds is and what a shame it will be if Bonds is tarnished by the steroid era and when he'll break the homerun record....  I thank the Lord above for the existence of the mute button every time that knuckle head (Berman) opens his mouth.
"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man. "

-Mark Twain

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2005, 06:51:43 pm »
Quote:

All the more reason to hold them up for $twenty-gazillion to pitch all these years later!
Up in the Air

Russ99

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
    • www.thrustjet.com
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2005, 10:55:41 am »
Quote:

Have you ever seen that guy cover a baseball game?  Awful!  All he ever talks about is how great Barry Bonds is and what a shame it will be if Bonds is tarnished by the steroid era and when he'll break the homerun record....  I thank the Lord above for the existence of the mute button every time that knuckle head (Berman) opens his mouth.

Unfortunately, Berman was the lead announcer for the White Sox - Red Sox AL Division Series. What a fanboy. I had to cut the TV sound and listen to the local Chicago announcers. At the end of the series, he was almost crying, and then admitted to everyone what a huge Red Sox fan he is.

Take this with a two-ton grain of salt.

" He is a throwback to the old days, when a player's most honored badges were mud and blood"

- Larry Dierker on Bill Doran -  The Scouting Report 1987

Froback

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2005, 12:30:07 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

How could it be wrong?

Umm, no it was not Berman.  It was really a guy on MLB radio who was some guy who actually follows the sport and games.  I doubt Berman does more than look for highlights he can use his over-used expressions in.