Author Topic: Couple of thoughts...  (Read 5695 times)

Dobro

• Prime Time Player
  • Triple Pope
    • View Profile
Couple of thoughts...
« on: October 23, 2005, 12:36:02 am »
Couple of thoughts after a game that was very winnable:

1.  Have the Astros completely forgot how to defend against a stolen base attempt?

2.  Why hasn't Ensberg been moved down in the order?

3.  Why does Willy no longer steal bases?
Lighten up, Francis.

HurricaneDavid

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
Re: Couple of thoughts...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 01:14:47 am »
Quote:

3.  Why does Willy no longer steal bases?

Ummmmm, both times he got on base were the result of doubles.  You want him stealing third?
"Ground ball right side, they're not gonna be able to turn two OR ARE THEY, THROW, IS IN TIME!!! WHAT AN UNBELIEVABLE TURN BY BRUNTLETT AND EVERETT, AND THEY CUT DOWN MABRY TO END THE GAME, AND THE ASTROS LEAD THIS NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES THREE GAMES TO ONE!!!!!"

Dobro

• Prime Time Player
  • Triple Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 01:17:29 am »
Quote:

Ummmmm, both times he got on base were the result of doubles.  You want him stealing third?

On Contreras, who's the slowest pitcher on earth to the plate?  Absolutely.
Lighten up, Francis.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 01:18:37 am »
Quote:

Quote:

With Berkman up and nobody out?  No way.  Willy not stealing 3B wasn't the problem.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

HurricaneDavid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 01:19:17 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Wow.  I'm glad you aren't managing this team.
"Ground ball right side, they're not gonna be able to turn two OR ARE THEY, THROW, IS IN TIME!!! WHAT AN UNBELIEVABLE TURN BY BRUNTLETT AND EVERETT, AND THEY CUT DOWN MABRY TO END THE GAME, AND THE ASTROS LEAD THIS NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES THREE GAMES TO ONE!!!!!"

Tralfaz

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 01:30:28 am »
Ashby was pining about not defending against the SB late in the game.  Pierzynski, double clutched taking second in the 8th, and may have been thrown out with a descent throw.  That put the insurance run in scoring position and it ultimatly stung us.
RO RASROS!

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 01:34:04 am »
Quote:

Ashby was pining about not defending against the SB late in the game.  Pierzynski, double clutched taking second in the 8th, and may have been thrown out with a descent throw.  That put the insurance run in scoring position and it ultimatly stung us.

Pods hit a triple. SB was irrelevent.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2005, 01:35:16 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Pods hit a triple. SB was irrelevent.

It's not a triple if Pierzynski is standing on 3B.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

baron

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2005, 01:36:33 am »
Quote:

Ashby was particularly annoyed that Garner was concerned enough about one run to run for Berkman in the 8th, but then when the Sox get a man on, they don't hold him on, etc. Of course, he recognized that Burke was a hero in the NLDS, but implied that Berkman's bat might've shortened that affair.
Quote from: NYT
On the Web ... is a recording of what she describes as her latest track, “What We Want,” a hip-hop-inflected rhythm-and-blues tune that asks, "Can you handle me, boy?" and uses some dated slang, calling someone her "boo."

Tralfaz

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2005, 01:37:48 am »
Ensberg is so due.  He hit the crap out of the ball that Crede snared.  0 for 4 tonight, but looked more agressive and wasn't doing as much eye balling pitches into the catchers mit.  He went down swinging in the 8th, with Willy on third and that was probably the pivital point of the game, but at least he gave it a good rip.  It's coming, be patient.
RO RASROS!

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2005, 01:39:35 am »
Quote:

Ensberg is so due.  He hit the crap out of the ball that Crede snared.  0 for 4 tonight, but looked more agressive and wasn't doing as much eye balling pitches into the catchers mit.  He went down swinging in the 8th, with Willy on third and that was probably the pivital point of the game, but at least he gave it a good rip.  It's coming, be patient.

No such thing as "due".  Ensberg has not been swinging the bat with the same authority since August.  This has not been a week long thing, it's been nearly 3 months that he's been punching at the ball.

Tralfaz

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2005, 01:51:51 am »
Agreed, but what he showed tonight was a more agressive approach then what we saw during the St Louis series.  Seemed like then, he was watching to many pitches sail by, just like earlier this season.  Displaying his "supperior eye" a bit much, only to be rung up time after time.  

Tonight he was airing it out a little more.  Of course there is still the hand injury he picked up late in the year that may be playing into this.
RO RASROS!

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2005, 01:56:34 am »
Quote:

Tonight he was airing it out a little more.  Of course there is still the hand injury he picked up late in the year that may be playing into this.

I didn't think he looked good tonight, not at all.  He hit one square that Crede played well, but not good at bats for him IMO.  The hand may be affecting him some now, but again, this began 3 weeks before the hand injury.  It's been a disturing trend.

Tralfaz

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2005, 02:07:39 am »
Good points as usual HH.  I still stand by Morgan getting a big rip to get him going before all is said and done.  Come to a decision on that tat?
RO RASROS!

tophfar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2005, 02:29:48 am »
Quote:

While ont being able to hold runners late in games has been particularly annoying lately, this one instance did have a slight excuse.  That pitch from Springer was low and inside and Brad had a little trouble handling it if IIRC, and was behind the batter when he did.  Woulda had a hard time getting back around the batter to make a good throw in time, even with AJ Piwerkjsdfhi double clutching.
Here are just a few of the key ingredients: dynamite, pole vaulting, laughing gas, choppers - can you see how incredible this is going to be?

Greg

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2005, 02:33:15 am »
Stop me if im wrong, but didnt morgan hit two really hard shots down to 3b?

Greg

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2005, 02:34:12 am »
...Thats not saying he hasn't been choking... because he has.

Desperado

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2005, 11:27:27 am »
He hit the ball hard. If that ball in the 8th is a few inches to the left, he wouldn't have "choked."

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2005, 01:47:01 pm »
what is "choking" to you, Greg? define it.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2005, 02:39:01 pm »
Quote:

...Thats not saying he hasn't been choking... because he has.

Choking?

Gimmie a break.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

Matt

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2005, 02:42:38 pm »
No player in the major leagues chokes.  Have you ever choked Greg?  Did you choke in little league?  Or did you choke at Dungeons and Dragons?  Not level up your elven archer quick enough?

CJM

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2005, 04:19:32 pm »
Quote:

No player in the major leagues chokes.  Have you ever choked Greg?  Did you choke in little league?  Or did you choke at Dungeons and Dragons?  Not level up your elven archer quick enough?

Nice.  Love the D&D shot.  I remember the guys that would come to school dressed like their characters.  Great source of amusement for me in HS.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2005, 04:35:44 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Nice.  Love the D&D shot.  I remember the guys that would come to school dressed like their characters.  Great source of amusement for me in HS.

I'm glad I'm old enough that no one ever came to my highschool dressed in D&D gear. That shit wasn't around then. I'm also glad knowing, if it was, and someone did, they'd probably get their ass kicked by one of the way too many hoodlums and rednecks that were around then.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2005, 04:39:45 pm »
"Choke" is a term thrown around a lot, but I've never really seen it defined.

Choking isn't just losing, which seems to be how most people use it. But what is a proper definition? Is being up 3-0 in the LCS against your most bitter enemy, who you always beat and humiliate, and then losing the next four games "choking"?
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Andyzipp

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2005, 04:53:18 pm »
I think the closest thing to a choke would be the Oilers in Buffalo.

Getting beat or making a mistake isn't choking.  It isn't close to choking, even though the results are the same.

Greg

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2005, 06:10:45 pm »
Woah, slow down there. Choking is a word that shouldn't of been used there, its too harsh, I know that. I was drunk and biter after getting a call from my family in the south side of  Chicago rubbing in their victory and I got ahead of myself.

However, since we are on the subject and I'm being criticized, allow me to retort.

Choking, to me, is not doing your job in a clutch situation. With that definition, in my eyes, choking happens all the time. That definition also depends alot on expectations. If you expect a player to get a clutch hit and he doesn't it hurts more than say, a player with lower expectations not getting a clutch hit.

I expect Moberg to do alot more than he has been doing with the bat. A .233 post season average is  not choking, but its nothing to jump to his defense about (not that any of you guys were).  I consider Mobergs job at the plate is, primarily, to drive in runs when possible (I expect him to be the #2 man in this department next to Berkman). During the season, Morgan drove in 15.44% of the teams RBIs. During the postseason he has actually driven in 19.47% of the teams RBIs. However, that number is inflated because of the 5 RBI CLUTCH performance in game one of the NLDS. In the NLDS he hit 29.17% of the teams RBIs. Since then he has hit only 9.52% of the teams RBIs, 10.53% in the NLCS.*

Now, can you kind of see what I was expecting and how it doesn't match up? After starting out with 29.17% of the  team RBIs his numbers continued to drop to the current 9.52% state. This isn't choking, but I think its close.

* i know these stats don't tell the whole story, but i do believe it gives you an idea of where we are headed....

tophfar

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2005, 06:13:59 pm »
Quote:

Choking, to me, is not doing your job in a clutch situation. With that definition, in my eyes, choking happens all the time. That definition also depends alot on expectations. If you expect a player to get a clutch hit and he doesn't it hurts more than say, a player with lower expectations not getting a clutch hit.

By that definition someone "chokes" in every situtaion of every game.  

That's bullshit.
Here are just a few of the key ingredients: dynamite, pole vaulting, laughing gas, choppers - can you see how incredible this is going to be?

Greg

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2005, 06:24:05 pm »
Yeah, I see what you are saying. Besides the postseason, i dont consider every situation to be a clutch situation. Also, I think clutch situations vary from player to player.

I know my definition is flawed, but its my shot at trying to describe what I think choking is.

CJM

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2005, 06:24:13 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

By that definition someone "chokes" in every situtaion of every game.  

That's bullshit.

I second that.  It's crazy to say that every fucking at bat in a close and late situation with runners on will end up with either the pitcher or hitter choking.  Hell'va way to look at the game.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2005, 06:37:39 pm »
Quote:

I know my definition is flawed, but its my shot at trying to describe what I think choking is.

I have to agree with you, that definition is really flawed. So, if someone is a .333 hitter, then are they choking the two out of three at bats they don't get a hit, or is it only a choke if they don't get a hit in that third at bat? If the latter, how do you keep track?
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

UpTooLate

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2005, 06:47:23 pm »
Choking as it relates to sports is impossible to define.  Same as trying to define God.  Most people believe that it exists but good luck on finding two people agreeing as to exactly what it is.

What cannot be denied is that some people react better in pressure situations than others.
"Go with Christ" - Eric "The Dawg" Cartman

Greg

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2005, 07:01:01 pm »
I guess everyone thinks choking is much  more of a  rare occurrence than I make it out to be?

Does anyone think that we didn't choke when we had runners in scoring position and didn't knock any in last night?

I would argue our batters did choke. Its the World Series, I consider ever chance to get an RBI a clutch situation, especially if they are RBI batters up to bat (I understand you may not). If it were the regular season, ehh, I don't think I would classify it as a clutch situation.

UpTooLate

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2005, 07:07:23 pm »
I don't think that last night was a choke job.  Garner wanted his guys out there to take good hacks.  If he didn't, then they would have tried a sacrafice.  They took their hacks and missed.  You have to give some credit to the Sox pitchers for doing what good pitchers do.

Greg

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2005, 07:07:31 pm »
Quote:

Choking as it relates to sports is impossible to define.  Same as trying to define God.  Most people believe that it exists but good luck on finding two people agreeing as to exactly what it is.

What cannot be denied is that some people react better in pressure situations than others.

Perfect, Ive wasted hours of my life defining and defending something no one will agree with me on. I love this forum.

However, that was very well stated. I agree 100% that choking is defined individually.

Greg

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2005, 07:12:07 pm »
Quote:

I don't think that last night was a choke job.  Garner wanted his guys out there to take good hacks.  If he didn't, then they would have tried a sacrafice.  They took their hacks and missed.  You have to give some credit to the Sox pitchers for doing what good pitchers do.

Very true. However, I think that their job was to knock in some guys, it was a clutch situation, and they didn't do it.

Oh well, this topic is dead to me now.

UpTooLate

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2005, 07:15:30 pm »
I had meant to say squeeze instead of sacrafice.  My bad.