Author Topic: Who Has a Cell Phone And Wants an Important Mission Today?  (Read 3811 times)

Alkie

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
Who Has a Cell Phone And Wants an Important Mission Today?
« on: October 06, 2005, 12:37:33 pm »
Here's our situation.

We currently have a hotel in Fort Stockton, where I most certainly don't want to stay.  We did this because it was the only place we could get to with a TV to make sure we got the Astros game tonight.

Now that it looks like the game will be at LEAST delayed, we'd like to try to make it to San Antonio.

Here's the thing.  We need someone with a cell phone to text my cell phone with updates about every 90 minutes about the game tonight.  If it's not going to be delayed, then it looks like we need to pull over in Junction or something and watch the game in a restaurant or hotel lobby.  If the game IS going to be delayed, we need to know so we can just book it to San Antonio.  If the game has been POSTPONED, we need to know so we can get to San Antonio without a speeding ticket.

Whomever is willing to do this for me today gets a VALUABLE prize when I get to Houston.  Could be a handshake, or an empty debt of gratitude. Most likely, I'll buy you a beer at Game Three.  

If you can help, and really don't mind, please email me at zgronichATgronichfinancial.com

Many, many thanks.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
Re: Who Has a Cell Phone And Wants an Important Mission Today?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 12:41:04 pm »
Quote:

We need someone with a cell phone to text my cell phone

Sounds dirty.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 12:43:19 pm »
It is.  I'll require 2 hours of "cyber" before I'll accept your message.

What are YOU wearing?

utastro

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
Re: Who Has a Cell Phone And Wants an Important Mission Toda
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 12:54:07 pm »
Quote:

Here's our situation.

We currently have a hotel in Fort Stockton, where I most certainly don't want to stay.  We did this because it was the only place we could get to with a TV to make sure we got the Astros game tonight.

Now that it looks like the game will be at LEAST delayed, we'd like to try to make it to San Antonio.

Here's the thing.  We need someone with a cell phone to text my cell phone with updates about every 90 minutes about the game tonight.  If it's not going to be delayed, then it looks like we need to pull over in Junction or something and watch the game in a restaurant or hotel lobby.  If the game IS going to be delayed, we need to know so we can just book it to San Antonio.  If the game has been POSTPONED, we need to know so we can get to San Antonio without a speeding ticket.

Whomever is willing to do this for me today gets a VALUABLE prize when I get to Houston.  Could be a handshake, or an empty debt of gratitude. Most likely, I'll buy you a beer at Game Three.  

If you can help, and really don't mind, please email me at zgronichATgronichfinancial.com

Many, many thanks.

You might be able to pick up the Austin and or the San Antonio radio feeds pretty far out.  Austin will be on 1300 am and San Antonio will be on 1400 am.  Hell, I can even pick up 740 am in Houston and I live in Round Rock.  My only other suggestion is to drive faster, I think the speed limit is 75 mph most of the way now between El Paso and San Antonio so you can go at least 85 without getting a ticket.
Oh God, I wish I was a loofah!

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 12:55:35 pm »
Quote:

The Link

Login with your AIM username/password.

Add your cell phone number: Preferences -> Add a mobile phone.  Enter your number and follow the prompts.

Set up the updates: Add an alert -> Sports -> "Sports: Live Game Action" -> "Live score alert" for baseball -> Houston Astros.

Check the box for start of game, during game (and set updates accordingly), and end of game.  Under Delivery Options, uncheck Online and Archive, check the middle box and choose your cell number.  Click Save.

I have relied on these updates for the last two years whenever I'm unable to listen to or watch Astros games.  The "start game" alert will let you know when the game starts (on time or otherwise).  It won't let you know of a rain delay, but if you go a long time without any inning updates, you'll get a pretty good idea.

Quote:

You might be able to pick up the Austin and or the San Antonio radio feeds pretty far out. Austin will be on 1300 am

1300's signal at night is abysmal.  In north Austin in the evening hours it sounds like I'm in Giddings.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 12:56:09 pm »
I appreciate it, but we know all this information.

It doesn't make me feel any better.

I'd really like to just know what the hell is going on, and I'll tell you this, I don't really want to listen to Game Two as brought to me by Milo and Ash.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2005, 12:57:03 pm »
EXCELLENT.

Thanks man.  It cost anything?

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2005, 01:00:53 pm »
Gratis.  And, surprisingly enough for AOL, they don't spam your phone either.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2005, 01:02:30 pm »
buy a Blackberry. great for following the Astros.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005, 01:05:27 pm »
Well, since I only need this for tonight's game, I'm not sure I need to run out and buy something.

Usually, we watch the game on television.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2005, 01:05:34 pm »
sign up for online yahoo.. my daughter has her phone set to give her updates when things are going on astro wise.. tho she does have to turn it off sadly during class and be out of touch with the baseball world.. darnit the mean things they do to you in college..does this come under cruel and unusaal???
forever is composed entirely of nows

utastro

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2005, 01:08:04 pm »
Quote:

I don't really want to listen to Game Two as brought to me by Milo and Ash.

Unfortunately, that is how I got game 1.  At one point they were talking about some ex old has been Braves player and they failed to give any play by play.  The whole time you could here the game going on in the background.
Oh God, I wish I was a loofah!

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2005, 01:12:28 pm »
Quote:

Well, since I only need this for tonight's game, I'm not sure I need to run out and buy something.

Don't forget to go back and disable the alert, especially if you can only receive a limited number of text messages per month or something.

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2005, 01:16:19 pm »
Barring postponement, I'll be driving to the game by 6-6:30pm ET, listening to the local radio....then sitting in the Turner Field parking lot by 7-7:30pm ET.  My phone doesn't allow text messages, but I'll be happy to call you at say 5pm ET (or earlier if needed), when I get in the car, again when I pull in the parking lot, and then every 60 minutes (or more quickly if some news breaks) after that.  Let me know.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2005, 01:20:08 pm »
Thanks, I saw that.  I'll disable it from the hotel tonight in SA.

das

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2005, 01:55:07 pm »
Yes it is.  You ever get yours to display the TZ?
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2005, 02:59:01 pm »
nope. i think mine is the wrong version to do that.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2005, 06:14:23 pm »
Quote:

nope. i think mine is the wrong version to do that.

The BBs we use at the office don't have the actually java plug-ins or anything. The internet on them is all portal based.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das