Author Topic: Consensus?  (Read 4294 times)

Alkie

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
Consensus?
« on: October 05, 2005, 11:40:18 am »
It's weird.  I'm not NEARLY as nervous this morning as I usually am before Game One.

I think a lot of it is that I really have no problem with us losing today because I'm sure we'll take both games in Houston and at least one other game in ATL.  

Anyone else feel oddly calm about today; win or lose?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see us sweep the Lidging Braves.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
Re: Consensus?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2005, 11:47:23 am »
I think it is just the calm before the storm. Once the game gets started you will become certifiable.. I also think it might have something to do with the monkey the astros got off their back last year with this very playoff series..i wont be more specific than that.. not too much baseball going on today so the bb gods might be weighing in on the tz
forever is composed entirely of nows

Greg

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2005, 11:50:03 am »
I'm terribly nervous, but I do have a strong since of confidence in the good guys; something that was lacking with last year's team headed into game one.

Unlucky for me, I'll be at work for two thirds of game one.

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 11:50:43 am »
Yes, I'm calm now because I feel the same as you....that we only need to win one game here in Atlanta.  That said, if we lose today, then I'm going to be a basket-case tomorrow.

drew corleone

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
    • http://2centmovies.blogspot.com
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 11:52:02 am »
Last year I was oddly calm before Game One.

I'm not as much this time, but I think that's more because the bandwagon is getting so loaded that the nerves are responding.

But it's not like it was before any of those games with St. Louis last year.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 12:16:46 pm »
I lost sleep about it last night. Second night in a row.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

pravata

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005, 12:18:04 pm »
Quote:

It's weird.  I'm not NEARLY as nervous this morning as I usually am before Game One.

I think a lot of it is that I really have no problem with us losing today because I'm sure we'll take both games in Houston and at least one other game in ATL.  

Three words, Pettitte, Clemens, Oswalt. Everyone is trying to make out like the Astros had this great offense last season, and late they did.  But they were prone to checking out at any time.  Hunsicker had several fits during the season because of it. Pitching gives me confidence.  Last season no Pettitte, Oswalt was good until the novacaine wore off, and Lidge was untested.

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2005, 12:21:03 pm »
Quote:

I am buzzed to the point of not being able to work.  Just started talking about the Astros' pitching with a colleague, and I'm shaking with adrenaline.  Think Backe but fatter (much).

Trouble is, I have tons of work to do before I can leave for the game.  Catch 22.  Lidge it!

Today we're facing Hudson, which is a concern.  But they're facing Pettitte, who's been better and has infinitely more playoff experience and success.

Plus, I still haven't worked out where I'm going to watch the game.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2005, 12:22:10 pm »
i am not confident at all about this series.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2005, 12:23:17 pm »
Hey, come on over to my place!  If you leave now, and own a Leer, you can make it.

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2005, 12:23:52 pm »
Really.  What's the reason?  See us getting shutout 3 straight?

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2005, 12:24:01 pm »
Quote:

i am not confident at all about this series.

Ah fuck 'em.  We're as good as they are.  Stomp the shit out of 'em and pound the ol' Budweiser!
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2005, 12:25:54 pm »
offense, of course,Roger is winding down and Roy has been very hittable.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

xxx

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2005, 12:26:21 pm »
I am feeling ok since Scott Baio made his apperance on Arrested Development. But I have already chewed all my nails down to the quick and I can't concentrate on work. I have already apologized to everybody here at work if they hear yelling and profanity coming from my office.
It's all part of the game.....

HurricaneDavid

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2005, 12:26:35 pm »
Winning the NLDS last year has given me a lot more confidence this year.  Before they won a postseason series, I never had any confidence... getting the monkey off the back is big for MY confidence, if not the players' confidence.
"Ground ball right side, they're not gonna be able to turn two OR ARE THEY, THROW, IS IN TIME!!! WHAT AN UNBELIEVABLE TURN BY BRUNTLETT AND EVERETT, AND THEY CUT DOWN MABRY TO END THE GAME, AND THE ASTROS LEAD THIS NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES THREE GAMES TO ONE!!!!!"

Alkie

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2005, 12:29:57 pm »
Well, thank you, Jim.

I was calm.  Now I'm back to normal.  Appreciate it.

Now I'm a lidging Game One mess.  It's a good thing I refuse to drink before or during Astros games.

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2005, 12:40:22 pm »
Quote:

Well, thank you, Jim.

I was calm.  Now I'm back to normal.  Appreciate it.

Now I'm a lidging Game One mess.  It's a good thing I refuse to drink before or during Astros games.

Yep, same for me....just suited up in my Astros jersey/lid...getting ready to tie up a few loose ends at work, and then I'm off to meet a friend and then Jose Cruz III and his friend for the game (driving in from Bama).  REALLY STARTING TO GET JACKED UP!!!  You guys know how fast that first beer always goes down after mowing the lawn in August heat?  Well I believe is gonna be like that times two for me, if I'm going to be able to sit still and watch this game that is.  Damn, can't wait!!!

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2005, 01:21:05 pm »
Hudson tossed his career game earlier this season in his throw down against Clemens, so we'll see if he has another in him this afternoon.  I'll do my part to help our boys by not watching or listening to any of it--I'm convinced the team does better that way.

BTW, did Andruw Jones ever get to watch any "lesbian sex action?"
Purity of Essence

EasTexAstro

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2005, 04:22:53 pm »
OK. MLB has a baseball tv thing going on their website (Live and free). I just finished watching the "How the Braves did it again" portion.

That kid, Franco-ear, (26 years younger than Franco) making some thorows to nail runners trying to stretch it out.

I now have Doug Mansolino thoughts in my head...

and the Lidging Berkmans, like forgetting the number of outs...

Astros have what it takes to win, but they can't give the punk chops any extra outs.

If they bring their solid defense today (Morgan, your pitcher is on the mound today), they can make it happen.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of 'em was one kinda sombitch or another.