Author Topic: Sitting next to the cousin of Mike Burns  (Read 8325 times)

Matt

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Sitting next to the cousin of Mike Burns
« on: October 04, 2005, 03:22:22 pm »
So I'm here at work in my cubicle and I hear the guy next to me on the phone talking about giving his cousin on the Astros the new Oakley mp3 player glasses.  Of course I gotta know who his cousin is.  You know maybe an Ensberg or somebody kick ass.  Well it's Mike Burns.  Oh well still a good time killer chatting with him about what's going on with the Astros and what his cousin has told him.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
Re: Sitting next to the cousin of Mike Burns
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 03:52:59 pm »
Ty Gainey's uncle's dog, once crapped in my front yard.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Matt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 03:59:08 pm »
Maybe he'll come crap in my cubicle if I ask nicely

HurricaneDavid

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 04:09:15 pm »
Quote:

Did you get it autographed?
"Ground ball right side, they're not gonna be able to turn two OR ARE THEY, THROW, IS IN TIME!!! WHAT AN UNBELIEVABLE TURN BY BRUNTLETT AND EVERETT, AND THEY CUT DOWN MABRY TO END THE GAME, AND THE ASTROS LEAD THIS NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES THREE GAMES TO ONE!!!!!"

Froback

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 04:17:03 pm »
Don't knock Burns... He was pretty awesome the last couple of years in the minors.  Might turn out to be a Wheeler type set-up/middle inning guy.

Just think... Wouldn't you take a job that paid you $300+K/year even if it only lasted like 10-15 years?

I think he will be very solid and steady for several years for the Astros.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 04:20:43 pm »
i once met Jim Neighbors in the astrodome when he was doing a show during the rodeo. Got his austograph and everything.. funny thing is it mysterously vanished one day..never to be seen again.. hmmm even in zwolle jim neighbors was an icon..  (nice childhood memory jog thanks)
forever is composed entirely of nows

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 04:34:53 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Did you get it autographed?

"If you want me to take a shit in a box and mark it 'guaranteed', I will.  I have the time."
 - Tom Callahan Jr.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

UpTooLate

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 04:48:07 pm »
A couple of years ago I worked with the brother of a famous Astros pitcher from the late 70's era.  When I first met the guy it was cool to hear a story or two, but it got old quick. It seemed he started every sentence with "My brother was so-and-so".  It became fun to tell people to act completely clueless and disinterested when he mentioned his brother.
"Go with Christ" - Eric "The Dawg" Cartman

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005, 04:48:38 pm »

Quote:

i once met Jim Neighbors in the astrodome ...Got his austograph and everything  

you may want to see a doctor about that, I think that is what lead to Andrew Beckett's death in Philadelphia.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Frobie

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 05:08:15 pm »
This thread is sort of funny.  The wife and I live in a duplex/townhouse and a player for the Texans and his wife live in the other half.  (This says much more about his marginality as a pro football player and good financial sense than it does my own personal economic situation.)  I don't follow the NFL at all, but we've often laughed about what it would be like if we lived next to a peripheral Astros player like, say, Burns instead.

I think it's much better like this since I'm not tempted to talk shop with him and try to point out what's wrong with his game.  

Kit

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2005, 05:09:36 pm »
Quote:

i once met Jim Neighbors in the astrodome when he was doing a show during the rodeo. Got his austograph and everything.. funny thing is it mysterously vanished one day..never to be seen again.. hmmm even in zwolle jim neighbors was an icon..  (nice childhood memory jog thanks)

Well Gaw-uh-awly

Did he ask to put his finger in your bellybutton?
Remember Jesus Alou being called out of the 1st base coaching box to pinch-hit a double vs. the Reds in '79 I think, to win a crucial game, and he patted Morgan on top of the head (ala Benny Hill w/the little bald guy) and Little Joe got pissed.....yeah,that was great.

Jose Cruz III

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2005, 05:30:19 pm »
I once rode beside that chick Lita from the WWF. She was cool. And HOT HOT HOT. We talked about wrestling and stuff, but I didn't get around to asking her about being the mile high club.
Unga bungaed by the BBGs.

"No. Humans will die out. We're weak. Dinosaurs survived on rotten flesh. You got diarrhea last week from a Wendy's."

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2005, 05:34:16 pm »
this thread has quickly devolved into "A Brush with marginal Greatness"

Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2005, 06:13:26 pm »
Quote:

Back in the early 90s when I was editor of a small-town newspaper in Montana, there was a Little League tournament in town. One of my reporters came running in and said, "Craig, one of the tournament coaches is a former Houston Astro!"

"Cool, which one?"

"Bob Knepper."

Shit. My least-favorite Astro of all time. I interviewed him anyway. He was kind of a prick.

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2005, 07:06:48 pm »
i wrote Knepper a letter after the not-to-be-spoken of Game 6 in 1986 because i had a similar experience in my last college game. he wrote me a very nice letter in reply.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2005, 07:48:10 pm »
I'm sure he's actually a nice guy and all. He just didn't seem real pleased to have to deal with a pissant local reporter (me) during a Little League tournament. But he did autograph a ball for me, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

Uncle Charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2005, 07:56:43 pm »
Quote:

Since the thread has degenerated, I might as well pile on.  On an airplane I sat in front of that young (14-15 yr old) ice skater from Sugarland that was in the olympics a few years ago.  She cussed like a sailor the entire trip.  Anyway, the funniest thing about it was that there was this flight attendent (a guy) that was hitting on her the entire flight.  He was ~25 yrs old, but he wasn't asking if she needed another bag of pretzels...
The test of a true champion is how he reacts to adversity on days when it is bound to come.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2005, 07:59:06 pm »
My old man shook Tommy Lasorda's hand at Sams Club on the Gulf Freeway in like 1987. He still talks about it. All the time.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2005, 08:11:51 pm »
I took Drew Pearson's luggage up to his hotel room as a bellhop at the Flagship Hotel in 1979.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

Astros Fan in SoCal

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2005, 08:23:11 pm »
I was in an elevator with Kenny Stabler.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2005, 08:32:31 pm »
speaking of gymnastics, while working at the K-MART in Spring during my high school years, i got assigned to go throughout the store with Bella Karoli (The Olympic gymnastic coach) and assist him with shopping for some trip he was taking with a bunch of gymnasts.  Worked with him for about 45 minutes, helped him get checked out, then loaded up his Suburban for him and he stiffs me....as in no tip, not stiffs in the JM J Bullock/Alex Prager type of way.   NTTAWWT

EasTexAstro

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2005, 08:33:14 pm »
I knew  Selena
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of 'em was one kinda sombitch or another.

UpTooLate

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2005, 08:37:35 pm »
Quote:

My old man shook Tommy Lasorda's hand at Sams Club on the Gulf Freeway in like 1987. He still talks about it. All the time.

Thats funny.

In 98 I went to a convention and Willie Nelson is at an autograph booth.  I like Willie Nelson.  So I stand in line forever and finally get to meet the guy.  He is stoned off his ass and can't even speak coherently.  I get a photo with him and the autograph.  Seven years later I have zero idea where either the pic or the autograph are and could really care less about finding them.  Still can't figure out why I would stand in that line in the first place.  I still like his music.

UpTooLate

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2005, 08:46:28 pm »
Quote:

speaking of gymnastics, while working at the K-MART in Spring during my high school years, i got assigned to go throughout the store with Bella Karoli (The Olympic gymnastic coach) and assist him with shopping for some trip he was taking with a bunch of gymnasts.  Worked with him for about 45 minutes, helped him get checked out, then loaded up his Suburban for him and he stiffs me....as in no tip, not stiffs in the JM J Bullock/Alex Prager type of way.   NTTAWWT

This story and your avatar go well together.  Working for tips at K-Mart.  Hilarious.

Cnote

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2005, 08:51:36 pm »
Quote:

Thats funny.

In 98 I went to a convention and Willie Nelson is at an autograph booth.  I like Willie Nelson.  So I stand in line forever and finally get to meet the guy.  He is stoned off his ass and can't even speak coherently.  I get a photo with him and the autograph.  Seven years later I have zero idea where either the pic or the autograph are and could really care less about finding them.  Still can't figure out why I would stand in that line in the first place.  I still like his music.

My best friend is Bryan, the Nephew of Paul English, Willie's drummer since the 60's.  and Bryan's dad Billy English, Willies newest edition to the band has been with Willie since 82 or so.  We see him everytime he's intown.  Whatever you can probably guess happens back stage at a willie concert...probably does.
Shocks...Pegs...Lucky!

astro pete

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2005, 09:07:38 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Since the thread has degenerated, I might as well pile on.  On an airplane I sat in front of that young (14-15 yr old) ice skater from Sugarland that was in the olympics a few years ago.  She cussed like a sailor the entire trip.  Anyway, the funniest thing about it was that there was this flight attendent (a guy) that was hitting on her the entire flight.  He was ~25 yrs old, but he wasn't asking if she needed another bag of pretzels...

Tara Lipinski.  I re-habed an ankle injury next to her my senior year in high school.  She got more attention than I did, though.

No? in Austin

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2005, 10:02:29 pm »
I was J.R. Richard's catcher for one season of amatuer baseball.

Alkie

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2005, 10:10:26 pm »
I once slept with Ryne Sandberg's wife in the clubhouse during a game.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2005, 10:29:40 pm »
Quote:

I once slept with Ryne Sandberg's wife in the clubhouse during a game.

Who is... any member of the Cubs in the late 80's?

Give me sluts that broke up the band for $400...
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2005, 10:47:12 pm »

Quote:

This story and your avatar go well together. Working for tips at K-Mart. Hilarious.  

well you know how the saying goes....Lord loves a workin' man; don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2005, 10:53:50 pm »
another music related one.  I was in my friends wedding in upstate New York, his wife to be's cousin was Rob Affuso, yes THE Rob Affuso.  Rob was the drummer for Skid Row.   The wedding was in 2001, and Robbie was not only at the wedding, but he was also in the wedding band.

catAstrofy

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2005, 12:24:45 am »
I got to polish Floyd Epps' hook once.

Hey he'd make a pretty good mascot at CC now, though not as scary as the current one.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2005, 12:52:25 am »
Kirk Gibson knocked me to the ground in the spring of 1989. I was 12, he was my hero. After he shoved me to the ground, he turned back and chuckled. He is no longer my hero. I spent three years, and countless days in detention, burning his baseball cards. I still get angry when they show that denial league Wheaties commercial with the Game 1 '88 voiceover.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2005, 08:53:00 am »
I got to polish Floyd Epps' hook once.

Just when you though you've heard every euphemism...
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

Golden Sombrero

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2005, 03:19:11 pm »
I met Carlos Baerga when he played for the Indians when I was 14 or so.  He was brought in by my school to one of those lame awards banquets (the ones where everyone gets an award) in order to inspire us.  I tried to get a picture with him, but of course the camera decided to go on the fritz.  It took about 3 or 4 tries to get the darn thing to work.  Suffice it to say Carlos was getting impatient.  So I have the distinction of being the cause of minor annoyance to a pro ball player.
Strikeout Machine