Author Topic: Ausmus on Pettitte  (Read 3050 times)

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
Ausmus on Pettitte
« on: October 04, 2005, 10:53:53 am »
From Stephen Hawkins of the AP, Ausmus describing Pettitte: "I've said all along, if I had to win one game, Andy Pettitte would be the guy I'd want on the mound.  He's got the most fortitude.  He blocks everything out and focuses on the hitter.  He's just a big-game pitcher."
Purity of Essence

pravata

Re: Ausmus on Pettitte
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 12:42:06 pm »
Quote:

From Stephen Hawkins of the AP, Ausmus describing Pettitte: "I've said all along, if I had to win one game, Andy Pettitte would be the guy I'd want on the mound.  He's got the most fortitude.  He blocks everything out and focuses on the hitter.  He's just a big-game pitcher."

I thought Clemens was going to get tossed Saturday.  And Roy seems to lose it for atleast one inning every game.

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 12:44:59 pm »
Quote:

I thought Clemens was going to get tossed Saturday.

I'm surprised Bucknor doesn't average one ejection a game.  He's so crap that he enrages everybody.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Taras Bulba

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Wing Attack Plan R
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 12:49:30 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

I thought Clemens was going to get tossed Saturday.  And Roy seems to lose it for atleast one inning every game.

You're correct, and that's suprised me a little about Roy this season--I thought he would be somewhat better by now in handling bad calls/getting squeezed.  But, back to back twenty game win seasons ain't too shabby.
Purity of Essence

Tralfaz

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 12:52:49 pm »
During the radio broadcast Saturday, Ash mentioned that the players grade the performances of each umpire at the end of the year. Bucknor is always voted worst of all.
RO RASROS!

Kit

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 12:54:33 pm »
I was surprised to hear Biggio (ever the diplomat) say much the same thing about Pettite on Romey yesterday. I believe he said "if you had to have one game I think I'd have Pettite out there"..it might be that Clemens can't go 9 and Andy's been in more pressure games than Roy.
Remember Jesus Alou being called out of the 1st base coaching box to pinch-hit a double vs. the Reds in '79 I think, to win a crucial game, and he patted Morgan on top of the head (ala Benny Hill w/the little bald guy) and Little Joe got pissed.....yeah,that was great.

pravata

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 01:00:31 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You're correct, and that's suprised me a little about Roy this season--I thought he would be somewhat better by now in handling bad calls/getting squeezed.  But, back to back twenty game win seasons ain't too shabby.

No, not shabby at all.  I think it's his mechanics gets out of whack. He falls off.  Could be due to bearing down because of bad calls, errors, and what not.  Sometimes it just goes.  The problem usually doesn't last long but I'm always on the look at for it. The "oswalt inning".

Depot Stove

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 02:12:14 pm »
Was the "falling off" phenomenon more of a late season thing or had he been doing this all year? I hadn't noticed it until the last few starts and attributed it to late-season fatigue. In any case, it's hard to argue with the results, as has been pointed out.
"I thought I had an appetite for destruction. Turns out all I really wanted was a ham sandwich."

cuban

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
    • elrubendelmar.org/
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005, 02:18:17 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

I thought Clemens was going to get tossed Saturday.

I'm surprised Bucknor doesn't average one ejection a game.  He's so crap that he enrages everybody.

Here's why.

"I was very intense," Clemens said. "I told [plate umpire] C.B. [Bucknor], 'Don't pay attention to me today because I woke up on the wrong side of the bed.' He said, 'OK.' Most of the guys in blue know I've got a little fire in my belly. My control was still off and I think that was what was aggravating me a little early. I was glad I was able to work my way through that."

from Astros.com

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 02:25:15 pm »
Quote:

"I was very intense," Clemens said. "I told [plate umpire] C.B. [Bucknor], 'Don't pay attention to me today because I woke up on the wrong side of the bed.' He said, 'OK.' Most of the guys in blue know I've got a little fire in my belly. My control was still off and I think that was what was aggravating me a little early. I was glad I was able to work my way through that."

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Clemens actually thinks that Bucknor pays attention!

Too funny.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2005, 02:32:33 pm »
One reason I favor pettite in the big game is he doesn't have quite the tendency to have a penis measuring contest with the batter, as clemens and oswalt sometimes do as they just try to throw their best fastball by someone.

Dobro

• Prime Time Player
  • Triple Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2005, 02:50:57 pm »
Quote:

One reason I favor pettite in the big game is he doesn't have quite the tendency to have a penis measuring contest with the batter, as clemens and oswalt sometimes do as they just try to throw their best fastball by someone.

Well, not many guys are going to win a penis-measuring contest with Clemens and Oswalt.
Lighten up, Francis.

pravata

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2005, 03:00:46 pm »
Quote:

Was the "falling off" phenomenon more of a late season thing or had he been doing this all year? I hadn't noticed it until the last few starts and attributed it to late-season fatigue. In any case, it's hard to argue with the results, as has been pointed out.

He said during ST that he was working on not doing that.  He said he's always fallen off but I didnt start noticing it until last season.  What I think I saw was in the late innings he would whip the heck out of his back leg on the follow through.  I think it was because the shot had worn off, his ribs were hurting and he was using his back leg to try to get some velocity on the fastball.  Developed a bad habit.  Now, he'll fall into it at just about any time.  But he also seems to be able to correct before things get too out of hand.