Author Topic: let's talk about the AL  (Read 2365 times)

Trey

  • Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
  • Posts: 1249
    • View Profile
let's talk about the AL
« on: September 30, 2005, 03:06:47 pm »
so I don't accidentally jinx us

from the Chron

 
Quote:

The real bonus for ESPN would be wild-card playoff games, particularly the potential Yankees, Red Sox and Indians deadlock that would continue through Tuesday.

 





Since the ChiSox clinched the AL Central, there can only be 1 playoff game, right?  If all three are tied, BOS and NYY play for the AL East and the Indians are the WC since they will have a better record than the loser.  If BOS and NYY are tied, but ahead of CLE, they don't play it and are co-Champs due to the Tony LaRussa Is A Pussy Clause of 2001, correct?
Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

HudsonHawk

  • Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • *****
  • Posts: 42667
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
Re: let's talk about the AL
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 03:18:41 pm »
Quote:


Since the ChiSox clinched the AL Central, there can only be 1 playoff game, right?  If all three are tied, BOS and NYY play for the AL East and the Indians are the WC since they will have a better record than the loser.  





This is not the case anymore.  If NY, BOS and CLE all ended up with the same record, NY and BOS would play each other for the division title, and the loser would then play CLE for the wildcard.

Quote:


If BOS and NYY are tied, but ahead of CLE, they don't play it and are co-Champs due to the Tony LaRussa Is A Pussy Clause of 2001, correct?





This part is still correct, I believe.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Trey

  • Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
  • Posts: 1249
    • View Profile
Re: let's talk about the AL
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 03:29:27 pm »
Quote:


This is not the case anymore.  If NY, BOS and CLE all ended up with the same record, NY and BOS would play each other for the division title, and the loser would then play CLE for the wildcard.






I didn't realize they had gotten around to changing it.  Makes more sense that way.  Thanks.
Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

HudsonHawk

  • Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • *****
  • Posts: 42667
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
Re: let's talk about the AL
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 03:42:22 pm »
Quote:

Quote:


This is not the case anymore.  If NY, BOS and CLE all ended up with the same record, NY and BOS would play each other for the division title, and the loser would then play CLE for the wildcard.






I didn't realize they had gotten around to changing it.  Makes more sense that way.  Thanks.





They changed it a couple of years ago, in a rare moment of sanity.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.