Author Topic: Really disappointing crowd  (Read 4834 times)

Navin R Johnson

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Really disappointing crowd
« on: September 30, 2005, 02:24:17 am »
they announced 38K, but at least 1/2 the upper deck was empty.  More like 30K tonight.   Why isnt the city behind the team this year, like they were last year coming down the stetch?
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Holly

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
    • The Dutton Family
Re: Really disappointing crowd
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 02:51:47 am »
School night, non-clinch game. Should be packed tomorrow. Don't think the city isn't behind the team, btw.
Don't put the baby in the bulldozer.

HurricaneDavid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 10:13:07 am »
When I saw this subject line, I assumed it was regarding the free admission game yesterday in Milwaukee.  There were 27,008 fans in attendance, 13,173 of which paid - so only 13,835 took advantage of the promotion.  Pretty sad when you can't GIVE away a "sellout."
"Ground ball right side, they're not gonna be able to turn two OR ARE THEY, THROW, IS IN TIME!!! WHAT AN UNBELIEVABLE TURN BY BRUNTLETT AND EVERETT, AND THEY CUT DOWN MABRY TO END THE GAME, AND THE ASTROS LEAD THIS NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES THREE GAMES TO ONE!!!!!"

David in Jackson

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 10:24:15 am »
I wasn't at the game.  I'll never forget, though, the last two games of the the 2003 season.  We were playing the Brewers and needed to win 2 of 3 in the final weekend to make the playoffs.  I flew to Houston from Mississippi for the games.  I was shocked at the lack of electricity and passion in the stands.  The place didn't have any big game feeling - myab epeople were saving it for a football game.  The fact that the Brew Crew won Friday and Saturday clinched it.  Let's hope this weekend is different.

Wish I had been there for NLCS Game 5 last year to erase that bitter memory.
"I literally love Justin Verlander." -- Jose Altuve

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 10:24:54 am »
I thought it was a good crowd there.

And for once, it seemed like more Astros fans than scrub fans.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

HurricaneDavid

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 10:31:29 am »
Quote:

I'll never forget, though, the last two games of the the 2003 season.  We were playing the Brewers and needed to win 2 of 3 in the final weekend to make the playoffs.  I flew to Houston from Mississippi for the games.  I was shocked at the lack of electricity and passion in the stands.

I'm STILL shocked that Fox in DC actually showed that HOU-MIL game.
"Ground ball right side, they're not gonna be able to turn two OR ARE THEY, THROW, IS IN TIME!!! WHAT AN UNBELIEVABLE TURN BY BRUNTLETT AND EVERETT, AND THEY CUT DOWN MABRY TO END THE GAME, AND THE ASTROS LEAD THIS NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES THREE GAMES TO ONE!!!!!"

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2005, 12:14:55 pm »
Quote:

And for once, it seemed like more Astros fans than scrub fans.

They packed away their shit weeks ago.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

astrox

• Prime Time Player
  • Evan's Guitar
    • View Profile
    • tinyeblog.blogspot.com
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2005, 02:09:01 pm »
Quote:

I wasn't at the game.  I'll never forget, though, the last two games of the the 2003 season.  We were playing the Brewers and needed to win 2 of 3 in the final weekend to make the playoffs...Let's hope this weekend is different.

Yes, I've been battling that memory all day today.  But having Pettitte, Clemens and Oswalt going the final 3 games (if needed) makes this season waaaay different than 2003.

Plus the Phils face Hernandez and Patterson.

Go Astros!
News that is sufficiently bad somehow carries its own guarantee of truth.  Only good reports need confirmation.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2005, 02:38:46 pm »
well if we won last night, we clinched at least a tie for the WC.  The crowd was terrible.  I was in the Crawford boxes and they were 40% empty.

Last year, the 4th game before the end of the season, which was a Wednesday Night against the Cards, drew 43,186.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

awrr

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2005, 03:59:57 pm »
i thought this thread was going to be about how cubs fans managed to celebrate both of the homerun balls, one that burke threw back into the stands.  those balls need to be thrown back.  if not, then throw the cubs fans with them.

it's disgusting how many of them there are in the stands.

geezerdonk

• a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2005, 04:02:42 pm »
hurricane hangover could have something to do with it
E come vivo? Vivo.