Author Topic: Rusch's squeeze bunt attempt question and one another.  (Read 5996 times)

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
Rusch's squeeze bunt attempt question and one another.
« on: September 30, 2005, 12:06:12 am »
Was it a bunt? A strike/ball that Chavez blocked?  I thought Rusch had bunted, but couldn't figure out why he didn't go to first.

Was Gipson having a problem going around 2nd?  It didn't look like he was running very smooth.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

pravata

Re: Rusch's squeeze bunt attempt question and one another.
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 12:12:16 am »
Quote:

Was it a bunt? A strike/ball that Chavez blocked?  I thought Rusch had bunted, but couldn't figure out why he didn't go to first.

Was Gipson having a problem going around 2nd?  It didn't look like he was running very smooth.

The ball bounced in front of the plate.

Gipson was in a full gallop coming around 3rd.  He was pumping but didn't look like he was injured.  Had Macias not made a strong throw, (ie had been Eckstein) Gipson would have been safe.

HurricaneDavid

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 01:14:31 am »
Gipson definitely isn't as graceful a sprinter as Taveras or (Beltran)... Was I seeing things, or did he blow a bubble with his gum between 2nd and 3rd?
"Ground ball right side, they're not gonna be able to turn two OR ARE THEY, THROW, IS IN TIME!!! WHAT AN UNBELIEVABLE TURN BY BRUNTLETT AND EVERETT, AND THEY CUT DOWN MABRY TO END THE GAME, AND THE ASTROS LEAD THIS NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES THREE GAMES TO ONE!!!!!"

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 01:54:40 am »
Gipson also looked like he could have made that turn around third a little tighter...it wasn't *too* wide though.  We just took a gamble that the throw wouldn't be right on the money, alas it was

Cnote

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 12:50:39 pm »
Just from the replay I saw on sportscenter, but it looked like Gipson's eyes lit up rounding second, to say, "Holy Crap! he's waving me around" ...Just my first reaction to seeing that play, having to listen to the game last night, was that the ball was hit so that it would be a husseling double and hold at third.  Bt then I notice that Patterson was playing Luke in the opposite field and he had to pretty much dive to cut it off from going to the fence.  There had to be mad over spin on that bad which probably caused Gipson to misread it until he picked up Masellino rounding second.  Then it may have been to late.  

Was he running on the pitch?  Milo mentioned he had a bigger lead at first.
Shocks...Pegs...Lucky!

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 12:54:13 pm »
Quote:

He was not running.  Hard to score from first on a single.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

pravata

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2005, 01:02:06 pm »
Quote:

Just from the replay I saw on sportscenter, but it looked like Gipson's eyes lit up rounding second, to say, "Holy Crap! he's waving me around" ...Just my first reaction to seeing that play, having to listen to the game last night, was that the ball was hit so that it would be a husseling double and hold at third.  Bt then I notice that Patterson was playing Luke in the opposite field and he had to pretty much dive to cut it off from going to the fence.  There had to be mad over spin on that bad which probably caused Gipson to misread it until he picked up Masellino rounding second.  Then it may have been to late.  

"What gave me a little inkling was when (Patterson) went down," Mansolino said. "But he did a good job of jumping back up on his feet and getting that ball to Macias. Macias made a good throw and a good relay, and we lose."

On the radio, Gipson said he picked up the sign rounding second and said he kicked it.  As for the comparisons between Gipson and Taveras, Willy runs low, kind of like Brian Hunter, shorter stride, but very smooth.  His head doesn't bobble at all. Gipson, while fast, gallops, lots of up and down motion.  The comparison between the 2 plays isn't fair, Macias made a good throw, Eckstein looped it in.

HurricaneDavid

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2005, 01:25:06 pm »
Quote:

Willy runs low, kind of like Brian Hunter, shorter stride, but very smooth.

I've had the impression from this season that Taveras has one of the longest strides I've ever seen...
"Ground ball right side, they're not gonna be able to turn two OR ARE THEY, THROW, IS IN TIME!!! WHAT AN UNBELIEVABLE TURN BY BRUNTLETT AND EVERETT, AND THEY CUT DOWN MABRY TO END THE GAME, AND THE ASTROS LEAD THIS NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES THREE GAMES TO ONE!!!!!"

Curly

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2005, 01:28:58 pm »
I thought Patterson made a great play, not in that it was an impossible ball to get to, but that by timing his slide perfically, it allowed him to be at a dead stop at the point the ball got there and allowed him to have no forward momentum carring him away from the cutoff man.  Very headsup play.  If he fields this ball on the run, there is no way he make the same throw.  All the moons were aligned on that play for sure...just one of those everything has to be perfect to get Gipson out...and it was this time.  We'll get 'em tonight.

pravata

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2005, 02:02:56 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Willy runs low, kind of like Brian Hunter, shorter stride, but very smooth.

I've had the impression from this season that Taveras has one of the longest strides I've ever seen...

Brian Hunter took 3 strides between bases.  He was wild.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2005, 02:07:52 pm »
Quote:

from this season that Taveras has one of the longest strides I've ever seen...

He does have long strides.  He's like Hunter a bit, but the one he reminds me of the most when he runs is Rickey Henderson, only smaller.  But it's a long, powerful stride, smooth with no wasted motion.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2005, 03:19:14 pm »
agree totally, Curly
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

HurricaneDavid

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2005, 03:59:53 pm »
Quote:

Brian Hunter took 3 strides between bases.  He was wild.

Haha, that was back before the days of Extra Innings, when I was still only listening to games over the web... didn't get to see much of him.  He was 4 inches taller than Willy, too...

No? in Austin

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2005, 01:27:29 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

He was not running.  Hard to score from first on a single.

Unless you're Charlton Jimerson playing in the college world series.  Truly amazing feat that I witnessed with my own two eyes whilest watching the game on the tube.  ESPN had a homeplate shot of the entire thing, wide-angle lens type of shot.  Single goes to right center field as Jimerson is running.  Centerfielder cuts the ball off before it heads to the gap/wall.  Fires back in (however, he was throwing on his back foot, with no momentum going forward).  Cutoff man catches, turns and sees Jimerson still running hard and fires home.  Chewey beats the throw by two steps and it was a very good throw too, right on the bag.  The swipe tag by the catcher missed Jimerson as he was already crossing the plate and high fiving his teammates.

Charlton Jimerson is ungodly fast on the bases and really good too.  He runs hard on every play, hustles his behind off.  He doesn't slack off for even one stride, everything is full bore on the bases with him.  Next to playing defense well, running the bases has to be his strong suit to help a team.  But alas, he's a rookie too and who would want to put a rookie in a situation like Thursday night?

Anyone?

Well, I've seen enough of Jimerson to say that I would've done so and this is not hindsight either.  Gipson was a good call on Scrap Iron's part.  Jimerson, IMHO, would be better but a huge gamble too (one that would get you crucified by the press both Nationally and locally if he were to get thrown out at home).

Curly has already said what the key to that play was anyway.  It wasn't the runner or even the cutoff man nor catcher who made that play work (or not work in the case of the runner).  It was Patterson's brilliant pop-up and throw play to cut the ball off from going to the wall. Jimerson or even Taveras would've been out at home too in that case.