Author Topic: Jim Edmonds: Uber Pussy  (Read 8038 times)

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
Jim Edmonds: Uber Pussy
« on: September 29, 2005, 11:28:23 am »
Can't stand that bloke.  While trying to desperately hold on to my integrity, I was, deep down, really hoping that he'd fucked his hand and would be out for...say...three weeks.  I liked JD's comment that, unlike many players, you really know when Edmonds is carrying an injury.

But WTF was he doing going up to bat with a hand so numb that he couldn't swing?  WTF was La Russa doing sending him up there like that, then switching out Walker and Sanders - the two outfields he had that could swing?  Pure Genius.

Oh, and Isringhausen is MoBerg's bitch.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
Re: Jim Edmonds: Uber Pussy
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 01:01:50 pm »
I loved that comment also. "He's a tough guy to read." Followed by, "when Edmonds is hurting, he makes sure you know it."

LaRussa had me well baffled, as usual last night. The outfield switching was classic. How about that little Skip feller looking like he never saw a routine flyball before?
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 01:03:10 pm »
LaGenius' middle name is Overmanage.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 01:08:56 pm »
Quote:

I loved that comment also. "He's a tough guy to read." Followed by, "when Edmonds is hurting, he makes sure you know it."

LaRussa had me well baffled, as usual last night. The outfield switching was classic. How about that little Skip feller looking like he never saw a routine flyball before?

I know they're coasting to the playoffs, but if I were a BFiB, I'd have brown trousers too.  They have a good line up (not great now that Rolen is out) and very good starting pitching, but absolutely nothing on the bench or in the pen (not called Reyes).  They may steamroller San Diego, but they will be weighed and measured in the NLCS, and may be found wanting.

That they don't want to see Houston again about as much as Houston wants a rematch.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

toddthebod

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 02:15:07 pm »
I know that I am probably in the minority, but I still think that S.D. can make a nice run.  They have a bunch of good hitters like Giles, Kelsko, and Loretta.  Peavy and Eaton are solid pitchers and Hoffman is still a top-tier closer.  If the Cardinals are really falling, the Padres might be able to knock them off.
Boom!

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 03:48:00 pm »
Quote:

I know that I am probably in the minority, but I still think that S.D. can make a nice run.  They have a bunch of good hitters like Giles, Kelsko, and Loretta.  Peavy and Eaton are solid pitchers and Hoffman is still a top-tier closer.  If the Cardinals are really falling, the Padres might be able to knock them off.

All it takes is 3 out of 5.  I think the Cards are already looking at the NLCS.  Not a good way to be thinking.  Lots can happen before then.

Plus, Edmonds might be hurt, Rolen is out, Walker gets shots in neck.  That is a lot of their power hurting at times.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

HurricaneDavid

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2005, 03:56:19 pm »
At one point last night, the Cardinals announcers said "this may be a better Cardinals team than last year."  They didn't bother to explain, however.
"Ground ball right side, they're not gonna be able to turn two OR ARE THEY, THROW, IS IN TIME!!! WHAT AN UNBELIEVABLE TURN BY BRUNTLETT AND EVERETT, AND THEY CUT DOWN MABRY TO END THE GAME, AND THE ASTROS LEAD THIS NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES THREE GAMES TO ONE!!!!!"

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2005, 04:04:27 pm »
Quote:

At one point last night, the Cardinals announcers said "this may be a better Cardinals team than last year."  They didn't bother to explain, however.

I was chatting about this with a buddy at lunch.  I don't think they're better; they were the same, but lost Rolen and have question marks over a few others.  Even Pooholes is slowing down.

Meanwhile the Astros are different.  Worse offense, although arguably more faceted, but better pitching.  I think, on the balance, that makes them better (good pitching etc. etc.).  Remember, the Jakes were taken to the limit by a rotation that featured Munro starting two games against them while Oswalt started only one game.

Backe, Munro, Clemens, Oswalt, Backe, Munro, Clemens

or, potentially

Pettitte, Clemens, Oswalt, Backe, Pettitte, Clemens, Oswalt

pravata

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2005, 04:42:24 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

I was chatting about this with a buddy at lunch.  I don't think they're better; they were the same, but lost Rolen and have question marks over a few others.  Even Pooholes is slowing down.

Meanwhile the Astros are different.  Worse offense, although arguably more faceted, but better pitching.  I think, on the balance, that makes them better (good pitching etc. etc.).  Remember, the Jakes were taken to the limit by a rotation that featured Munro starting two games against them while Oswalt started only one game.

Backe, Munro, Clemens, Oswalt, Backe, Munro, Clemens

or, potentially

Oswalt also doesn't have the rib injury this time.

Trey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2005, 04:42:35 pm »
Quote:

Damn.  I get goosebumps just reading that.
Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2005, 05:26:20 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Not that any team (or fan) should carp on injuries but...barely mentioned during the playoffs last year was how fucking unstoppable would the Astros have been with a healthy Pettitte.  Last year's offense with this year's pitching...whole E shi'ite.

Funny thing is, last year was supposed to be B&B's last shot.  Now they have a chance this year, and are likely to have the same squad back next year.  If they can avoid 35-game losing streaks (seemingly) like they had in '04 and '05, they should make it into the playoffs next year.

Trey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2005, 05:29:37 pm »
Quote:

Not that any team (or fan) should carp on injuries but...barely mentioned during the playoffs last year was how fucking unstoppable would the Astros have been with a healthy Pettitte.  Last year's offense with this year's pitching...whole E shi'ite.

Not to mention Wade Miller.

Woulda, coulda, holy freaking shoulda
Let me explain something to you. Um, I am not "Mr. Lebowski". You're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

Depot Stove

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2005, 11:56:12 am »
wasn't Uber Pussy the femme fatale in one of the James Bond movies?
"I thought I had an appetite for destruction. Turns out all I really wanted was a ham sandwich."

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2005, 12:09:14 pm »
Quote:

wasn't Uber Pussy the femme fatale in one of the James Bond movies?

You must be dreaming.

astrox

• Prime Time Player
  • Evan's Guitar
    • View Profile
    • tinyeblog.blogspot.com
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2005, 02:12:43 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

I second that!

C'mon Stros, git-er-done!!!
News that is sufficiently bad somehow carries its own guarantee of truth.  Only good reports need confirmation.