Author Topic: 2006 schedule  (Read 5287 times)

pravata

2006 schedule
« on: September 12, 2005, 12:28:18 pm »
Open at home, again, v. the Marlins, get the Braves, in Atl. to finish, The Link

das

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
Re: 2006 schedule
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 01:50:20 pm »
...and 4 with the Nats here in DC again.  Woo hoo!
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

HurricaneDavid

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2005, 01:52:00 pm »
"The Houston Astros today unveiled their schedule for the 2006 championship season..."  Championship season?  What the hell does that mean?

EVERY year, a "story" comes out about how the schedule was unveiled, yet the complete schedule never seems to show up in conjunction.  I'd love to know when the Stros will be playing in WAS, PIT, and PHI next year - sure would be nice if they actually MADE the schedule available, as opposed to just writing a story about how it's been unveiled.
"Ground ball right side, they're not gonna be able to turn two OR ARE THEY, THROW, IS IN TIME!!! WHAT AN UNBELIEVABLE TURN BY BRUNTLETT AND EVERETT, AND THEY CUT DOWN MABRY TO END THE GAME, AND THE ASTROS LEAD THIS NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES THREE GAMES TO ONE!!!!!"

HurricaneDavid

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2005, 01:53:28 pm »
Quote:

...and 4 with the Nats here in DC again.  Woo hoo!

The 4 vs. DC referred to in the story are part of the 7-game homestand to start the season, therefore in HOU.
"Ground ball right side, they're not gonna be able to turn two OR ARE THEY, THROW, IS IN TIME!!! WHAT AN UNBELIEVABLE TURN BY BRUNTLETT AND EVERETT, AND THEY CUT DOWN MABRY TO END THE GAME, AND THE ASTROS LEAD THIS NATIONAL LEAGUE CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES THREE GAMES TO ONE!!!!!"

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2005, 02:21:49 pm »
The schedule that also showed the away games this past weekend had 4 in DC too.

OldBlevins

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2005, 02:23:14 pm »
Do all the teams do this kind of spin on the next season?  The Royals?  The Devil Rays?

Quote:

"The Houston Astros today unveiled their schedule for the 2006 championship season..."  Championship season?  What the hell does that mean?
blah, blah, blah . . .

strosrays

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2005, 02:37:58 pm »
The "championship season" as opposed to the "pre-season", or the "post-season".  The season during which teams compete for a championship, IOW.  

A bit of an archaic usage, but one still sees it used from time to time.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2005, 02:43:19 pm »
Quote:

It's not archaic at all.  It's still the correct term for the 162 games played which leads up to the World Series.  It's always referred to that way in any official capacity.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

utastro

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2005, 02:43:22 pm »
Quote:

The "championship season" as opposed to the "pre-season", or the "post-season".  The season during which teams compete for a championship, IOW.  

Why not just say regular season.  I sure hope the BBGs know what they are trying to say.  Don't want to offend the BBGs during this stretch run.
Oh God, I wish I was a loofah!

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2005, 02:44:46 pm »
Quote:

Why not just say regular season.  I sure hope the BBGs know what they are trying to say.  Don't want to offend the BBGs during this stretch run.

Because it's called the "championship season", has been for many, many years.  It's referred to that way in all official baseball parlance.  It's an MLB term, not a Houston Astros term.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

utastro

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2005, 02:46:40 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Because it's called the "championship season", has been for many, many years.  It's referred to that way in all official baseball parlance.  It's an MLB term, not a Houston Astros term.

Huh, who knew.  I've never heard that term used before.  Learn something new everyday.
Oh God, I wish I was a loofah!

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2005, 02:50:59 pm »
Quote:

Huh, who knew.  I've never heard that term used before.  Learn something new everyday.

By the way, every regular season game is officially known as a "League Championship Game".

HurricaneDavid

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2005, 03:09:24 pm »
Quote:

Awesome... do you have a link?  Know if it was a weekday or weekend series?

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2005, 05:07:26 pm »
Unfortunately, no.  The link was updated with the marketing blurb Pravata linked to today.  I didn't pay too much attention because I didn't think they would write over top of the existing info.  Maybe it was the beer and I imagined it...

HurricaneDavid

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2005, 05:26:10 pm »
Hmmm... I saw that press release the day it came out, but it didn't have the full schedule, just the "story."  The Nationals are apparently giving out early bird schedules on 10/1, so that should shed some light.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2005, 07:09:23 pm »
seems like we just entered the race for the lid .. and a new sechedule is already out. for one i kinda putting it on the back burner .. there is a wild card race going on out there.. have to not insult bb gods, look ahead , or even think how close october is. i think covered it all.. if not i ask forgivness in advance for anything i left out (i was going ot burn a redding autograph but decided that might have a detramental affect on things).. kidding aside kinada like a major irony the astros are starting with the marlins and this could be a season maker or braker with the series comming up
forever is composed entirely of nows

HurricaneDavid

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2005, 04:10:35 pm »
Quote:

May 22-25, FWIW.  Roommate got the Nats early bird schedule at the game yesterday.