Author Topic: Week 02/14 - 02/21: Ask And Ye Shall Maybe Recieve vol. III  (Read 8340 times)

Jacksonian

• Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
Week 02/14 - 02/21: Ask And Ye Shall Maybe Recieve vol. III
« on: February 14, 2005, 12:35:55 pm »
Volume 3 now open.  Post questions about the minor leagues to heart's content.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
Greeneville returners
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 03:41:47 pm »
I enjoyed the 2004 version of the G'ville Astros.  Einertson, Patton, Sutil, etc were a blast.  Any ideas who might be back?   Last year 1/3 of the roster was there for year two.

Also I hear Eintertson's experiment at 2nd wasn't successful but how was his bat in instructional league?

Where are you hearing about Sutil starting the season?
Always ready to go to a game.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
Re: Greeneville returners
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 04:04:25 pm »
Quote:

I enjoyed the 2004 version of the G'ville Astros.  Einertson, Patton, Sutil, etc were a blast.  Any ideas who might be back?   Last year 1/3 of the roster was there for year two.

As spring training hasn't begun, no one really knows for sure.  The Astros have some idea of where some the guys are going but won't say for sure.  Lots of jobs open and up for grabs.

Quote:

Also I hear Eintertson's experiment at 2nd wasn't successful but how was his bat in instructional league?

We'll look into this.  Though I suspect fine.

Quote:

Where are you hearing about Sutil starting the season?

We're hearing Tri-City.  He's young and there's no need to rush him.  There are older, more experienced guys ahead of him at the moment at the higher levels.  I'd expect to see Fernando repeating at Lexington, Zobrist at Salem, and Robinson at CC.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Kent's Moustache

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
Round Rock v. Corpus Christi rosters
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2005, 04:08:00 pm »
It seems to me that there are a lot of questions, going into Spring Training '05, regarding the relative make-up of the Astros' AAA and AA farm teams.

In particular, I'm wondering which guys from last season's Zephyrs team will get a shot at The Show in '05, as well as which players from last year's Express squad will get promoted to play... in Round Rock again.

As for the former, it's probably a given that Burke will spend a significant amount of time in Houston in '05.  But what about a solid contributor like Royce Huffman?  Or, perhaps Tommy Whiteman?

As for the latter, it seems that there are a number of pitchers (e.g., Astacio, Burns, Gothreaux) and position players (e.g., Conrad, Scott, Self, Taveras) who are old enough for, and who put up numbers worthy of, a promotion to AAA.  Also, I am interested to see whether the organization sends some players back to AA to recover from injuries (e.g., Rodriguez) or to work on particular parts of their games (e.g., Gimenez, Jimerson).

Thoughts?
"Go play intramurals, brother.  Go play intramurals..."

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
Re: Round Rock v. Corpus Christi rosters
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2005, 04:34:52 pm »
Quote:

It seems to me that there are a lot of questions, going into Spring Training '05, regarding the relative make-up of the Astros' AAA and AA farm teams.

As always.

Quote:

In particular, I'm wondering which guys from last season's Zephyrs team will get a shot at The Show in '05,

Probably not many.  You have to look at the 40-man roster and see who is going to be there (Lidge, Bagwell, Biggio...), who's really a prospect with no shot(Gutierrez, McLemore) and then see who's got a shot.  You're probably looking at Burke and Bruntlett.

Quote:

as well as which players from last year's Express squad will get promoted to play... in Round Rock again.

Now this list IMO gets larger.  Off the top of my head I would guess: Conrad, Jimerson, Scott, Self, Taveras, Whiteman, Astacio, Gothreaux, Wandy Rodriguez.

Quote:

As for the former, it's probably a given that Burke will spend a significant amount of time in Houston in '05.  But what about a solid contributor like Royce Huffman?  Or, perhaps Tommy Whiteman?

Huffman's not on the 40-man and so should spend his season at RR barring injuries in Houston.  Whiteman should also be at RR, however he's on the 40-man and could get a call-up.

Quote:

As for the latter, it seems that there are a number of pitchers (e.g., Astacio, Burns, Gothreaux) and position players (e.g., Conrad, Scott, Self, Taveras) who are old enough for, and who put up numbers worthy of, a promotion to AAA.  Also, I am interested to see whether the organization sends some players back to AA to recover from injuries (e.g., Rodriguez) or to work on particular parts of their games (e.g., Gimenez, Jimerson).

Thoughts?

Returners to AA?  Gimenez is a good bet, Mike Rodriguez, maybe Jimerson, Nieve.

See how things go in ST though.  Lots can happen there and all the time between now and opening day.
Goin' for a bus ride.

John

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2005, 05:20:45 pm »
I know this is a very difficult question.....but the above brings up a something I have been trying to work out....what are the (wild guess) opening line-ups going to be for the AAA-AA and 2 single A teams.   I have a thought for the Lex outfield squad:  Einertson, Parraz, Carabello and Hernandez and for Salem:  Pence, Hearod, Alcantara, and Acevedo (?).  Am I completely off or is there a bit of potential in the above?

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2005, 05:32:01 pm »
A complete crapshoot, but I'll play:

AAA - Taveras, Scott, and who knows
AA - who knows, but whoever they are probably won't hit much
High A - Anderson, Alcantera, Acevedo
Low A - Pence, Einertson, Caraballo
My guess is Parraz will start the season at Tri-City.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Kent's Moustache

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2005, 05:46:08 pm »
RR: Taveras, Scott, Hill, Hubbard

CC: Jimerson, Rodriguez, A.Acevedo

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
Re: Greeneville returners
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2005, 11:22:08 am »
Quote:

My sources tell me he was NOT good in the field and at the plate. There is some concern that he won't come near duplicating last year's success.  But, we'll see how ST goes and whether Mitch rights the ship.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Mike S

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
Re: Josh Anderson and Scott Robinson
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2005, 11:50:19 am »
Quote:

A complete crapshoot, but I'll play:

AAA - Taveras, Scott, and who knows
AA - who knows, but whoever they are probably won't hit much
High A - Anderson, Alcantera, Acevedo
Low A - Pence, Einertson, Caraballo

Is the feeling with Anderson that he needs more time at High A after last year's performance?

Where is Scott Robinson ticketed?
"Romanes eunt domus"

Kent's Moustache

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2005, 12:00:07 pm »
MikeS,

Anderson seemed a bit overwhelmed during his short stint in AA at the end of '04, so I'd be willing to bet that he at least starts the '05 season at Salem

Robinson's numbers at Lexington last season were fairly unimpressive and don't really warrant a promotion to Salem, but I bet he ends up there anyway.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2005, 12:05:21 pm »
Quote:

Is the feeling with Anderson that he needs more time at High A after last year's performance?

He didn't exactly light up Carolina league pitching.  He'll be 22 for most of next season.  Personally I don't see any need to rush him.  I suspect that if he hits well this season he could get another mid-season callup, this time to AA.  Things could be different coming out of ST though, so we'll see.

Quote:

Good question.  Scott hasn't hit well and is working hard at it.  He'll be 21 for all of the 2005 season. (He doesn't turn 22 until October).  That's still an ok age for low-A ball.  He'd be a young Av in high-A Salem.  He needs to turn it on this year though.  Again ST will tell.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Mike S

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2005, 02:02:35 pm »
Quote:

Good question.  Scott hasn't hit well and is working hard at it.  He'll be 21 for all of the 2005 season. (He doesn't turn 22 until October).  That's still an ok age for low-A ball.  He'd be a young Av in high-A Salem.  He needs to turn it on this year though.  Again ST will tell.

What's intriguing to me is that Robinson tore up the Alaskan wood bat league prior to being signed and hasn't been able to translate that success to the minors, at least thus far.  Defnitely someone to watch closely this season.
"Romanes eunt domus"

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2005, 05:46:53 pm »
Quote:

From what I saw of Parraz, he has a was to go in learning outfield.  He was tentative on charging balls and let several drop that he should have gotten to.  His bat did pick up during the year and showed good speed, several triples.  If my info is right, he only played 10 games in outfield in JC before being drafted.  So he is raw.  I would not be suprised to see him start the year repeating at GReeneville or maybe Tri Cities.
Always ready to go to a game.

Agent Smith

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2005, 08:21:25 pm »
You are correct that Parraz is still learning the OF but he played 20 games in the OF for CCSN, not 10. Bogar did comment on how his defense improved through the season.

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: Jeff Jorgensen
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2005, 04:34:23 pm »
What ever happened to this guy?  I know he broke his foot before we drafted him in 2003, but I'm not even sure the guy's ever played a game for us.  Is he still with us (Instructional League, etc)...or never make it back from his foot injury?

Thanks.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2005, 04:53:12 pm »
Quote:

What ever happened to this guy?  I know he broke his foot before we drafted him in 2003, but I'm not even sure the guy's ever played a game for us.  Is he still with us (Instructional League, etc)...or never make it back from his foot injury?

Thanks.

He was released in June, I think, of 2004 without ever playing a game.
Goin' for a bus ride.

No? in Austin

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2005, 04:58:25 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks.

And it was once said that Jorgenson was the fastest man clocked going to first base, something approaching world class sprinter speed.  Faster than Taveras or Anderson.

Mike S

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2005, 06:27:44 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks.

And it was once said that Jorgenson was the fastest man clocked going to first base, something approaching world class sprinter speed.  Faster than Taveras or Anderson.

But also on the raw side of raw, if I remember correctly.
"Romanes eunt domus"

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2005, 09:02:58 am »
As always, thanks for the update.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
Want more?
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2005, 10:57:08 am »
A source has informed me that Jorgensen may never walk again without pain.  Hence his leaving baseball.
Goin' for a bus ride.