Author Topic: Week 7/5 - 07/11: Ask And Ye Shall Maybe Receive vol. XVIII  (Read 9243 times)

Jacksonian

• Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
Finally got around to adding a new "week".  4 of the Astros top 5 draft picks have yet to play an inning.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
Re: Week 7/5 - 07/11: Ask And Ye Shall Maybe Receive vol. X
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 12:25:31 pm »
What concerns me more than the innings played is that 2 of the five haven't signed yet.  Esp. #1.

Any word on the 3 HS kids of the first 10 rounds who haven't signed:

Lindblom, Clemens, & Meaker?
Always ready to go to a game.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 12:34:16 pm »
Quote:

What concerns me more than the innings played is that 2 of the five haven't signed yet.  Esp. #1.

I really believe it's just a matter of time before Bogusevic is signed.  I'm not concerned about the timing because the Astros have already said they are going to go very easy on his arm this season.

I heard last week that Lindblom is still negotiating but is far from a deal.  I'd speculate that the Astros haven't offered anywhere near the signing bonus Lindblom wants.

I have not heard anything on Clemens or Meaker.  I don't keep close track of Clemens because I'm sure the Houston media are constantly on watch for anything from him.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
Re: Week 7/5 - 07/11: Ask And Ye Shall Maybe Receive vol. XVIII
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2005, 11:54:51 am »
Went to the Frisco/Corpus game last night with Hirsh facing off against hard throwing Edison Volquez.

Volquez's fastball was 94-96 all night.  His secondary pitch is a curveball.  He had trouble controlling it.  After a while the Hooks batters were measuring the fastball.

Hirsh had trouble in the first inning.  He looked to me to be rushing a bit and leaving a lot of pitches up.  He also missed inside a bit.  His mechanics weren't where they should have been and you could tell by watching him come off the mound after the first that he wasn't happy.

After that, he started to improve his work.  His delivery was better in the second and improved through the 6th inning.  In fact he was totally in control and dominating in the 4th, 5th, and 6th innings.  Also, his control was very good.

IIRC, Frisco batters hit the ball hard only twice off Hirsh all night.  The leadoff double in the third and a flyout to Jimerson in deep right in the 6th.

Hirsh's fastball ranged from 89-93.  He was normally at 91-92 though.  He threw a few sliders at 83mph.  His changeup was quite effective at 81.

It was very interesting to watch the 2 starters last night.  After Jimerson stole 2nd in the 5th inning, Volquez looked a little unnerved.  He gave up a hit to the next batter to score Jimerson, and if the following batter hadn't hit into a freak double play, the Hooks might have scored more that inning.  Wade Robinson smoked a liner to short to end that inning.  In the 6th and 7th innings you could see the frustration in Volquez rising as the Hooks teed off on his fastball, and he couldn't get his curve over the plate when he needed it.  He seemed to fall apart a bit.

Hirsh on the otherhand seemed to stay quite composed despite the problems in the first inning and in the 3rd when he had to deal with a number of baserunners.

Aaron Williams, Salem's closer earlier this year, relieved Hirsh.  He's got a funky 3/4 delivery.  His fastball sits at 92.  He had some control issues and got hit a bit but survived.

Offensively, Gimenez seems to have a good idea what he's doing at the plate right now.  I hadn't seen him hit before.  For those who have, is always pull happy?  All three hits were smoked, esp the triple to right center.  But, he really seemed to be swinging to pull on every swing.

Anderson reminded me a bit of Steve Finley, without the power.  I'm not sure why, but he looks punch and judy at the plate.

Jimerson looked better last night than he did earlier this season.  He ripped a double over the left fielder's head that had he gotten under it would have gone for days.

That's it.  If you have questions, fire away.
Goin' for a bus ride.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 12:01:28 pm »
Quote:

Jimerson looked better last night than he did earlier this season.  He ripped a double over the left fielder's head that had he gotten under it would have gone for days.

As I'm sure you noticed last year, Jimerson is very hot and cold ... not long streaks (like Lane), but sometimes he shows up with a game like this one (thanks for the report!) and the next night he strikes out 3 times and looks really bad doing it.  Oh well ...
Up in the Air

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2005, 12:12:59 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

As I'm sure you noticed last year, Jimerson is very hot and cold ... not long streaks (like Lane), but sometimes he shows up with a game like this one (thanks for the report!) and the next night he strikes out 3 times and looks really bad doing it.  Oh well ...

Oh, yep, I realize that.  However, watching his at bats in entirety, he looked different.  He seemed more confident about what he was doing even when he was taking a pitch.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Rebel Jew

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Rebel Jew
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2005, 12:36:52 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Oh, yep, I realize that.  However, watching his at bats in entirety, he looked different.  He seemed more confident about what he was doing even when he was taking a pitch.

Sounds to me like Jimerson was successful because he didn't have to pay attention to any breaking or offspeed pitches.  He's always seemed to handle fastballs just fine, but has a horrible eye for anything that curves or slides.

Jimerson has always fascinated me in that, in a given game, you're apt to see all of his five tools in evidence (sometimes in spectacular fashion), even though he might strike out three times and look horrible doing it.  I don't know how long he'll stay on the 40 man, but there's just something about him that makes you want to hold on to him-- I guess it's the thought that he could be the next Vlad Guerrero if he ever learns some plate discipline.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2005, 12:42:06 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sounds to me like Jimerson was successful because he didn't have to pay attention to any breaking or offspeed pitches.  He's always seemed to handle fastballs just fine, but has a horrible eye for anything that curves or slides.

Jimerson has always fascinated me in that, in a given game, you're apt to see all of his five tools in evidence (sometimes in spectacular fashion), even though he might strike out three times and look horrible doing it.  I don't know how long he'll stay on the 40 man, but there's just something about him that makes you want to hold on to him-- I guess it's the thought that he could be the next Vlad Guerrero if he ever learns some plate discipline.

Got it.  But, early on Volquez was in control.  He was spotting his fastball, and when he threw his curve, it wasn't bad.  Jimerson just looked confident even in his first at-bat.  I can't explain it any further because I haven't had that many chances to see him.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Rebel Jew

• View Profile
    • Rebel Jew
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2005, 01:04:55 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Got it.  But, early on Volquez was in control.  He was spotting his fastball, and when he threw his curve, it wasn't bad.  Jimerson just looked confident even in his first at-bat.  I can't explain it any further because I haven't had that many chances to see him.

That confidence is good to hear.  Jimerson always looked so completely unconfident in the past when faced with breaking or offspeed pitches.  I used to wonder why he didn't just resort to guessing, being that it was almost certain that many pitchers would throw him junk out of the strike zone.  I suppose guessing doesn't help his development, but at least it would have gotten him some walks, and forced pitchers to throw him some fastballs.

jasonact

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
    • www.jasonmartinmft.com
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2005, 04:05:38 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

I really believe it's just a matter of time before Bogusevic is signed.  I'm not concerned about the timing because the Astros have already said they are going to go very easy on his arm this season.

I heard last week that Lindblom is still negotiating but is far from a deal.  I'd speculate that the Astros haven't offered anywhere near the signing bonus Lindblom wants.

I have not heard anything on Clemens or Meaker.  I don't keep close track of Clemens because I'm sure the Houston media are constantly on watch for anything from him.

I haven't seen it posted here yet, but Purpura was on with Milo last night during the 2nd and 3rd innings. He said that they signed Bogusevic yesterday-- signed, sealed, and delivered. I haven't looked online to find it in an official report, but I'd say hearing it straight from the GM is pretty official.
phew. for a minute there, I lost myself
- Radiohead

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2005, 04:10:40 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I haven't seen it posted here yet, but Purpura was on with Milo last night during the 2nd and 3rd innings. He said that they signed Bogusevic yesterday-- signed, sealed, and delivered. I haven't looked online to find it in an official report, but I'd say hearing it straight from the GM is pretty official.

Fletch was all over that. The Link
Goin' for a bus ride.

jasonact

• View Profile
    • www.jasonmartinmft.com
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2005, 04:18:26 pm »
Ah yes. Missed that one. Anyway, good that it's done.
phew. for a minute there, I lost myself
- Radiohead

Fletch

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
Anyone have an update on Iorg?
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2005, 06:22:07 pm »
Is his foot causing problems?

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone have an update on Iorg?
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2005, 06:32:35 pm »
Quote:

Is his foot causing problems?

I haven't heard, but as I recall, he wasn't really due to report until about now.  Give it another week and let's see.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Uncle Charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2005, 09:29:52 pm »
I got to see Corpus earlier this year and was impressed with Gimenez as well.  I was also very impressed with Saccamano.  What did you think about him?
The test of a true champion is how he reacts to adversity on days when it is bound to come.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2005, 11:51:34 am »
Quote:

I got to see Corpus earlier this year and was impressed with Gimenez as well.  I was also very impressed with Saccamano.  What did you think about him?

Saccomanno is interesting to me.  He plays 1st and 3rd.  I've only heard that he's good defensively at 3rd.  I've not heard spectacular nor horrible.

Offensively, he's something of a power hitter, but I don't think he hits with enough power to be a first baseman at the big league level.  He might hit enough to be a third baseman, but probably not enough to supplant Ensberg.  IMO, also, he strikes out too much.  I have not yet gotten a feel for where Saccomanno may project.  Where he goes and how high is probably more dependent on the Astros needs than what he does on the field.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2005, 12:04:00 pm »
Manzella made his debut last night and went 2 for 5 with a RBI and run scored.  He DH'ed.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Uncle Charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2005, 02:48:35 pm »
What's the view on Klassen.  He was once a pretty good prospect, but had been derailed with leg/foot injuries.  Given his age, he'll never again be called a prospect, but could he help a team in a utility role?
The test of a true champion is how he reacts to adversity on days when it is bound to come.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
Patton Interview on BA Daily Dish
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2005, 03:03:43 pm »
Troy Patton is interviewed by BA about his season and why he hasn't been pitching lately ("They shut me down because I had some tightness in my shoulder. It's just minor tendonitis, and they were just very cautious. I'm ready to go, and start throwing again (Thursday) actually.").

The Link

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2005, 03:19:01 pm »
Quote:

What's the view on Klassen.  He was once a pretty good prospect, but had been derailed with leg/foot injuries.  Given his age, he'll never again be called a prospect, but could he help a team in a utility role?

Yeah, he's 30 in September, so he's not a prospect.  He's having is best season in a long time if it's not his best.  I can't see him with the Astros though he may land with a club with a need for him some time if he stays healthy.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Uncle Charlie

• View Profile
Re: Patton Interview on BA Daily Dish
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2005, 04:19:01 pm »
Quote:

Troy Patton is interviewed by BA about his season and why he hasn't been pitching lately ("They shut me down because I had some tightness in my shoulder. It's just minor tendonitis, and they were just very cautious. I'm ready to go, and start throwing again (Thursday) actually.").

The Link  

Good to see him getting some "national" press.  Given the tightness, I wonder how much he'll be allowed to pitch in Detroit.

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
Great game in CC last night...
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2005, 10:39:37 am »
Points of interest:

Hirsh pitched a complete game shutout...K-ing 11, walking none.  I'd love to hear details on his performance if anyone was in attendance.  You put Astacio, Nieve, Bucholtz, Hirsh and Mclemore together and that's a pretty good group of pitching talent.  While Pup may not want to give up three of them...surely he would consider moving one, maybe even two in the right deal for a bat.

Quintero went 1-3 and picked a runner off first.  He looks to be getting back into the swing of things.

JAnderson had a good game which included three steals.  I read a couple articles where the Pirates are looking for a CF or 3B prospect.  With Taveras already with the big club you would think Anderson might be one of the few areas besides pitching where they could trade from a strength.  I think CWilson would be a nice pickup.

Also, Whiteman played SS...so don't know what his future holds within the org anymore.

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
Patton's first Salem start slated for Saturday
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2005, 12:24:38 pm »
"DeJesus said Troy Patton will likely get his first start for the Avalanche on Saturday. Patton will be on a limit of 50 to 60 pitches, or three innings, then Matt Albers will take over."

The Link

Duman

• Pope
    • View Profile
Wallace "Beau" Tolbert showing some life
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2005, 12:49:10 pm »
Tolbert who was the 17th round draft pick out of Faulkner University in 2004 is showing some life.  He was happered with a thigh injury during 2004 in Greeneville and has had an achilies injury right after his call up to Lexington this year.

On July 1, his average was at .091.  Since then, he has raised it to .222.  He has a 7 game hitting streak and during the streak he is: 12 for 28 (.429), 6 runs, 6 doubles, 5 RBI's, a triple and two stolen bases.

He plays a solid outfield and has good size 6' 4" and 205.

Let's see if he can keep it up.

Jacksonian

• Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
Re: Great game in CC last night...
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2005, 01:31:06 pm »
Quote:

Points of interest:

Hirsh pitched a complete game shutout...K-ing 11, walking none.  I'd love to hear details on his performance if anyone was in attendance.

Here's the report I received from the inside.  Hirsh didn't necessarily have his best stuff.  Fastball might not have been crisp and his changeup was up.  His slider was apparently working.  IMO, this is a testament to him being closer to Oswalt than Redding mentally.  He seems pretty mentally tough and with it.  The more I think about it the more I think that the Astros drafted him in part because he's the type of personality the Astros look for in a player.

Quote:

Also, Whiteman played SS...so don't know what his future holds within the org anymore.

That is a good question.  I'm beginning to wonder if he isn't looked at as a career minor leaguer.
Goin' for a bus ride.