Author Topic: More controversy  (Read 11260 times)

Astros Fan in Big D

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
Re: More controversy
« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2019, 08:04:28 am »
Fiers is just looking out for the little guy. 

That's why when he was facing a young batter who might get sent down if he struggled,  Magnanimous Mike would *not* use pine tar just to give the youngster a fair shake.

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2019, 08:18:51 am »
I don't know the facts but I think Fiers didn't just pull his story out of thin air.

So you obviously believe it. I do not until it has been proven or admitted.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2019, 08:20:41 am »
Good to hear. We need to hear from 2017 Astros. McCann would be nice also.

We need to hear a real interview with Fiers:

When did you first learn about this?
During what time frame did this occur?
Have you seen it on other teams you played for? If so,  which teams and what methods were employed?
Did all batters participate?
Was it limited to home games?
Was it used in the postseason?
Have you ever cheated to gain a competitive advantage?  Have any of your fellow pitchers cheated?

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2019, 08:22:27 am »
So you obviously believe it. I do not until it has been proven or admitted.
I said I don't know the facts. I neither believe of disbelieve. But it's not unbelievable.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 13, 2019, 08:27:16 am »
It's plausible and wouldn't surprise me if it's true as reported.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #65 on: November 13, 2019, 08:39:42 am »
I said I don't know the facts. I neither believe of disbelieve. But it's not unbelievable.

Then Beltran lied? This allegedly went on in the dugout and in the tunnel immediately adjacent.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2019, 08:49:56 am »
They have become the New England Patriots of MLB, 

Perfect.  This SI writer gives you exactly that. https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/11/13/astros-steal-signs-spygate-videotaping
Goin' for a bus ride.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2019, 08:50:46 am »
The Mets and Red Sox may not enjoy a punishment of the perpetrators

Even more ironic.  We're the Red Sox fined for basically the same thing in 2017?
Goin' for a bus ride.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2019, 09:02:31 am »

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2019, 09:03:19 am »
Even more ironic.  We're the Red Sox fined for basically the same thing in 2017?

Yes.  And there were accusations of the Yankees doing it, and basically having Aaron Judge as the bouncer in tunnel where the video monitor was.  But no one minds when they win. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2019, 09:44:08 am »
On a completely unrelated note, I almost got suspended in high school for arguing about whether or not Sidney Carton and Charles Darnay were doppelgangers.  My teacher argued that they must have been identical looking, otherwise Carton could not have taken Darnay's place at the guillotine.  I argued that all that mattered is that someone's head rolled, and whose it was wasn't particularly important....that blood cleansing was the point, not justice.

Isn't there a whole part where Carton is looking up at the ceiling so people can't get a look at his face when Darnay catches a reflection that reveals a spitting image?
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

SoonerJim

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2019, 10:04:21 am »
Will we be forgiven if NYY uses this as Cole signing leverage? We can buy indulgences and nail his new contract on the door of Yankee Stadium.
Since NY runs a clean operation and all. Judge's "shock" at learning of this alleged infraction is high comedy.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2019, 10:09:00 am »
Then Beltran lied? This allegedly went on in the dugout and in the tunnel immediately adjacent.

I wouldn't expect him to be forthright about it, just like I wouldn't expect anyone with any team to be forthright about it.  Of course, he's one week into his first managerial gig so it's also not in his best interest to lie.

I think the whole thing is plausible, but I question the feasibility of doing it on any sort of large scale.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 13, 2019, 10:10:48 am »
Of course, it was.  The ex-Astro accusing the team of electronically stealing signs wasn’t on the Astros’ playoff roster at any point during the 2017 postseason, so how would he know what was going on?

You know Fiers was in the dugout for every postseason game, right?  It may not have a bearing in this story, but he wasn't one of the players they sent home.

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2019, 10:16:12 am »
There's blood in the water around this team, from a number of different angles, creating a feeding frenzy that probably isn't going away anytime soon.  Should help the media outlets involved keep the hot stove warm while Boras fucks around.

The narratives:

1. Cheating/sign stealing.  Fiers is a butthurt snitch, and this is widespread throughout the league.  He just went on record about it.  How brave. /wanking motion   As noted above, MLB has already taken the steps to make this illegal for all teams; unless I'm missing something, it wasn't illegal in 2017.  WFW.

2. Taubman.  He's an asshole, and he probably wasn't the only asshole on staff.  The PR bungling creates the perception that they're ALL assholes.  "I'm surrounded by Assholes!"

3. General front office nonsense.  Because Luhnow et al are clearly cold, heartless numbers-driven sharks, any slip up in free agent negotiation, staff turnover, etc. is viewed through that lens.

The thing I hate most about this is that (unlike the Patriots), we have a genuinely likeable group of players to root for here.  I can't think of better representatives for our city that Altuve, Springer and Verlander.  And Hinch, for that matter.

In summary, they hate us 'cause they ain't us.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

SoonerJim

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 13, 2019, 10:22:51 am »
I see fines levied. The critical issue is whether Hinch or others get suspended, as had happened to Sean Payton and Gregg Williams in "bountygate". It's a way to cleanse the league.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 13, 2019, 10:24:44 am »
unless I'm missing something, it wasn't illegal in 2017.  WFW.

I thought using technology to steal signs was always against the rules, and the new rules regarding camera placement and usage this year were just put in place to shore up prevention.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 13, 2019, 10:41:32 am »
I thought using technology to steal signs was always against the rules, and the new rules regarding camera placement and usage this year were just put in place to shore up prevention.

Yeah, the Red Sox got fined in the same season for using Apple Watches.

DVauthrin

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 13, 2019, 11:10:20 am »
You know Fiers was in the dugout for every postseason game, right?  It may not have a bearing in this story, but he wasn't one of the players they sent home.

Clearly, I didn’t. My mistake, and thank you for the correction.
Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 13, 2019, 11:13:29 am »
If you want to read more, a lot more, about this crap today's astroscounty has a lot to peruse.

http://www.astroscounty.com/2019/11/the-athletic-bombshell-and-astros.html