Author Topic: More controversy  (Read 11210 times)

chuck

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
Re: More controversy
« Reply #400 on: November 23, 2019, 11:41:41 am »
Jim is absolutely right about one thing - the garbage can beating is totally immaterial to anything at all. If the league can find concrete evidence that the Astros used technology to steal signs after the directive came down in September of 2017 or whenever it was, fine. If not, they should be told, very politely, to go fuck themselves.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #401 on: November 23, 2019, 11:47:22 am »
I doubt they will touch Beltran or Cora. If so, slap on the wrist.

To come down on Cora would open the door for folks to wonder about the 2018 champs too.

And we can't have that now can we?

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #402 on: November 23, 2019, 11:50:11 am »
Which is why it’s really unlikely any player faces serious consequences.  It’s gonna be front office, he org and maybe some coaches including Beltran and Cora.

Beltran was a player.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Navin R Johnson

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 23, 2019, 12:00:33 pm »
I was referring to guys who are current players.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 23, 2019, 12:11:02 pm »
so it fair for some but not fair for all?
forever is composed entirely of nows

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: November 23, 2019, 12:24:49 pm »
I was referring to guys who are current players.

Ok, I am officially fucking confused. Is this about 2017 or the whole history of MLB? In 2017, Beltran was a player, and Cora was a coach.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #406 on: November 23, 2019, 12:28:49 pm »
so it fair for some but not fair for all?

Of course that's what it is.

This is a business,  not a court of law. 
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 12:37:37 pm by Astros Fan in Big D »

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: November 23, 2019, 12:34:22 pm »
Ok, I am officially fucking confused. Is this about 2017 or the whole history of MLB? In 2017, Beltran was a player, and Cora was a coach.

Sorry.  It is about 2017.   But the punishment, if there is any, wont be to any current players, due to the CBA expiring and the commish not wanting to deal with the players union right now.   Since Beltran is no longer a player, he could be in the cross hairs.  Ultimately my money is on a FO banning, a penalty and fine on the org.  Hinch is next on the likely to be sanctioned, followed by Beltran and Cora.   
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: November 23, 2019, 12:35:02 pm »
Jomboy has made The Athletic. About the Astros, of course.

SoonerJim

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: November 23, 2019, 12:36:06 pm »
I doubt they will touch Beltran or Cora. If so, slap on the wrist.

They have NY and Boston pedigrees which cannot be sullied

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 23, 2019, 12:40:03 pm »
Jomboy has made The Athletic. About the Astros, of course.

I'm really hoping The Athletic is done with the hatchet jobs and they expose other clubs.

Otherwise I'll have a hard time justifying paying them to throw piles of shit at my favorite team.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: November 23, 2019, 12:42:45 pm »
I'm really hoping The Athletic is done with the hatchet jobs and they expose other clubs.

Otherwise I'll have a hard time justifying paying them to throw piles of shit at my favorite team.

All they are waiting for is another Fiers..  Heard that they have sources, for other teams electronic sign stealing, but none are willing to put their names to it like Mike did. 

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: November 23, 2019, 12:43:48 pm »

I wouldn’t read Evan Drellich’s drivel if it got me a free handjob from Scarlett Johansson. I sure as shit wouldn’t pay to read it.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: November 23, 2019, 12:45:37 pm »
People have been talking about the Astros and other teams using tech to steal signs for years.   They never ran anything because they didnt want to use “anonymous” sources and hearsay.   Fiers opened the flood gates.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: November 23, 2019, 12:46:41 pm »
All they are waiting for is another Fiers..  Heard that they have sources, for other teams electronic sign stealing, but none are willing to put their names to it like Mike did.

Please don't call him that.

Mike plays left field for this team and is a goddamn professional hitter.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: November 23, 2019, 12:47:58 pm »
I wouldn’t read Evan Drellich’s drivel if it got me a free handjob from Scarlett Johansson. I sure as shit wouldn’t pay to read it.

Well you wouldn't be able to see straight to read it anyway.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: November 23, 2019, 12:48:09 pm »
Ha!  Point taken.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: November 23, 2019, 12:50:51 pm »
I’m genuinely  curious as to what lead Fiers to come forward,   There are plenty of former Astros out there and none said shit.  I’d also love to have an off the record talk with someone like Altuve or Bregman or George or McCann or AJ as to their thoughts on Fiers.   

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #418 on: November 23, 2019, 01:01:33 pm »
Apropos of nothing, I was wearing my Astros polo last week and another guy struck up a conversation with me.  He said he was a huge Astros fan, bitched a little bit about Hinch in the WS, and then asked me what I thought of the scandal.  I said there was so much conflicting info out there, hard to believe what is true, waiting for the full report, etc.  Dude launches into a tirade about the people running the team, Hinch and Luhnow should be permabanned from baseball, and that Mike Fiers is a hero for speaking out about it.

Except that when he mentioned Fiers he said, "Who's that guy---Mike 'Fears'?"

Yeah, you know how I know you're not as big a fan of the team?

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: November 23, 2019, 01:20:23 pm »
Apropos of nothing, I was wearing my Astros polo last week and another guy struck up a conversation with me.  He said he was a huge Astros fan, bitched a little bit about Hinch in the WS, and then asked me what I thought of the scandal.  I said there was so much conflicting info out there, hard to believe what is true, waiting for the full report, etc.  Dude launches into a tirade about the people running the team, Hinch and Luhnow should be permabanned from baseball, and that Mike Fiers is a hero for speaking out about it.

Except that when he mentioned Fiers he said, "Who's that guy---Mike 'Fears'?"

Yeah, you know how I know you're not as big a fan of the team?

Probably a Johnny-come-lately post-Fiers fan. Fuck him and the horse he rode in on.