Author Topic: More controversy  (Read 11265 times)

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
Re: More controversy
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2019, 09:29:11 pm »
This story appears to be going big nationally. Trending on twitter and it's basically the entire MLB tab on ESPN right now...

Good. The more butt hurt Yankee fans the better. I hope it boils their blood and they turn purple with rage at the thought of the Astros sending their team packing three of the last five  years.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

SoonerJim

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2019, 10:04:20 pm »
With all of these advantages, why did we lose four home games? And why didn’t Altuve get the tipoff memo when he was swinging at every pitch within the Houston area code?

Astros Fan in Big D

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2019, 10:33:33 pm »
With all of these advantages, why did we lose four home games? And why didn’t Altuve get the tipoff memo when he was swinging at every pitch within the Houston area code?

Because this all happened in 2017, and this article was simply meant as a gigantic FUCK YOU to the Astros by the authors.

DVauthrin

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2019, 10:56:58 pm »
this article was simply meant as a gigantic FUCK YOU to the Astros by the authors.

Of course, it was.  The ex-Astro accusing the team of electronically stealing signs wasn’t on the Astros’ playoff roster at any point during the 2017 postseason, so how would he know what was going on?
Then, one of the two writers of the story holds a grudge against the Astros because he believes they tried to get him fired when he covered the team as a reporter for the Houston Chronicle.
Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.

SoonerJim

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2019, 05:58:32 am »
So we vacate the trophy as USC did in 2004, and the MVP too. Did Alvuve's mom live in a house provided by the booster club, as did Reggie Bush?

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2019, 06:17:23 am »
This story appears to be going big nationally. Trending on twitter and it's basically the entire MLB tab on ESPN right now.

This seems to be true. One (247 Sports) went so far as to say this “revelation“ (as though it were already a proven fact) taints the 2017 WS win. Players are making condemning comments. 1000% of the condemnation is on the Astros, and very little (nothing?) has been said about a widespread problem throughout MLB. No one has pointed the finger at any other club for using technology to peer in on catcher’s signals. Only the Astros in 2017.

I hate this. This attack attempts to cheapen everything this organization and its players have accomplished. Hard to think of how the Astros can get out in front of and escape this lynch mob mentality and counter the mob groupthink. The “investigation” seems to be the only way to clarify what exactly went on throughout MLB and at Minute Maid in 2017. Right now the media sharks and other players are clearly after Houston. Fiers is despicable. Drehlich is no better.

I will also say if the Astros were breaking an MLB rule with impunity in 2017 or at any time, it should stop and the person(s) responsible should be punished. I do not care who else was doing it. Using a CF camera to steal signs is modern technology’s answer to binoculars in the CF clubhouse by the 1951 NY Giants. Both methods attempt to gain an unfair advantage by breaking a rule. Sign stealing is part of the game (current hysteria notwithstanding), but use of technology to do so is cheating.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2019, 06:27:20 am »
I hate this. This attack attempts to cheapen everything this organization and its players have accomplished. Hard to think of how the Astros can get out in front of and escape this lynch mob mentality and counter the mob groupthink. The “investigation” seems to be the only way to clarify what exactly went on throughout MLB and at Minute Maid in 2017. Right now the media sharks and other players are clearly after Houston. Fiers is despicable. Drehlich is no better.

I love it.  I hope Yankee and Red Sox and Dodger fans everywhere never get a wink of sleep thinking about how the Astros bounced them.  If being hated by the big market clubs is the result of the Astros winning, bring on the hate!
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2019, 06:52:42 am »
I love it.  I hope Yankee and Red Sox and Dodger fans everywhere never get a wink of sleep thinking about how the Astros bounced them.  If being hated by the big market clubs is the result of the Astros winning, bring on the hate!
I agree, however, I also agree with Jim and Spleen and they shouldn't have done it. But if the horse is out of the barn, put a saddle on it and ride it with pride.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 06:54:44 am by Col. Sphinx Drummond »
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

WVastro

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2019, 06:53:37 am »

I’m with this. Fuck those guys.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2019, 07:10:11 am »
They can kvetch all they want. Unless MLB does something stupid like vacating wins, etc, I'm not going to worry about it. I will brace for years of "Houston, we have a problem"-style smack but I can take it.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2019, 07:15:56 am »
I agree, however, I also agree with Jim and Spleen and they shouldn't have done it. But if the horse is out of the barn, put a saddle on it and ride it with pride.

Of course if the Astros broke the rules, they should be punished appropriately.  I'm not advocating they cheat or not face consequences for illegal behavior.  I just don't believe this has anything to do with the Astros cheating, and everything to do with them beating the Yankees, Red Sox and Dodgers.  They are no longer the lovable underdogs, they are the bullies kicking sand in everyone's face.  They have become the New England Patriots of MLB, and I'm glad because I was getting tired of them being the fucking Cleveland Browns. 

JJxvi

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2019, 07:36:11 am »
The Mets and Red Sox may not enjoy a punishment of the perpetrators
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 07:39:02 am by JJxvi »

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2019, 07:40:35 am »
To me, this is all a bunch of WFW by all those losers.  I say keep doing what you are doing.  People are assuming the Astros cheated and have judged them.  They, especially Mike Fiers (who let's be honest, no one really gives a shit about), can suck it.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2019, 07:47:27 am »

Spleen and maybe you seem to accept the allegations are facts. I do not and am waiting for the statements from MLB and the Astros after the investigation.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2019, 07:53:26 am »
Of course if the Astros broke the rules, they should be punished appropriately.  I'm not advocating they cheat or not face consequences for illegal behavior.  I just don't believe this has anything to do with the Astros cheating, and everything to do with them beating the Yankees, Red Sox and Dodgers.  They are no longer the lovable underdogs, they are the bullies kicking sand in everyone's face.  They have become the New England Patriots of MLB, and I'm glad because I was getting tired of them being the fucking Cleveland Browns.

I agree with this completely, but I do not like the negative, judgmental attention, and Even Drehlich especially seems to be on a mission to bring the Astros down. I do know however, from my own experience if from nothing else, a fight against the media is unwinnable.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 08:17:27 am by JimR »

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2019, 07:54:35 am »
Spleen and maybe you seem to accept the allegations are facts. I do not and am waiting for the statements from MLB and the Astros after the investigation.
I don't know the facts but I think Fiers didn't just pull his story out of thin air. 

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2019, 07:54:44 am »
The Mets and Red Sox may not enjoy a punishment of the perpetrators

True. If the Astros did anything wrong in this area in 2017, Beltran and Cora were in the big middle of it.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2019, 07:57:11 am »
Beltran is denying any knowledge of it.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2019, 08:02:25 am »

So that leaves only two possibilities:

1.  He's lying, or
2.  He's not lying.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2019, 08:03:10 am »

Good to hear. We need to hear from 2017 Astros. McCann would be nice also.