Author Topic: More controversy  (Read 11208 times)

GreatBagwellsBeard

• Contributor
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • The damn paterfamilias
    • View Profile
Re: More controversy
« Reply #360 on: November 21, 2019, 09:19:28 am »
I dunno about that.  His breakdowns have never really had any hard-hitting analysis and were always more about pointing out things in funny ways while never taking anything or anyone too seriously.

His one talent is reading lips in a Bronx accent.  He's hardly the next Bill Simmons.
Drinking for two.

“I want to paint a mural of Houston for the kids, but I’m terrible at drawing swamp humidity"

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: November 21, 2019, 10:04:33 am »
create a whole new line of giveaways and bobbleheads with built in whistle,  camera, strobe light etc.
forever is composed entirely of nows

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: November 21, 2019, 10:51:32 am »
His one talent is reading lips in a Bronx accent.  He's hardly the next Bill Simmons.

He's entertaining, but that's about it. I don't get all the viritol being thrown at him here. He's just pumping out content based on what the national media is feeding everyone. If the original article had been a MLB sign stealing story instead of a hatchet job on the Astros, there likely would be evidence from other teams, or at least speculation.

Instead, the huge billboard on the onramp to the Internet that says in all caps "THE ASTROS CHEATED" makes it a little more understandable why that's what secondary media and entertainment monkeys are focusing on that.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #363 on: November 21, 2019, 11:00:23 am »
He's entertaining, but that's about it. I don't get all the viritol being thrown at him here. He's just pumping out content based on what the national media is feeding everyone. If the original article had been a MLB sign stealing story instead of a hatchet job on the Astros, there likely would be evidence from other teams, or at least speculation.

Instead, the huge billboard on the onramp to the Internet that says in all caps "THE ASTROS CHEATED" makes it a little more understandable why that's what secondary media and entertainment monkeys are focusing on that.

I agree he is entertaining, but I think he has done more that regurgitate the national media. He is out front, and his breakdowns “exposing” the Astros have been picked up and used by the big boys as conclusive evidence of cheating. He does a summary of “Astros cheating scandal” (his title, not mine) every few days. I understand he is a NYY homer-he says he is-and of course his goal is to crucify the Astros and keep NYY pristine. I understand his bias and motivation, and that is why I only watch non-Astros stuff he posts now. His channel is fun, but I cannot take the Astros hate.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 21, 2019, 11:37:49 am »
No doubt most outlets have been satisfied that Jomboy's  videos constitute proof that the Astros stole signs electronically throughout the 2017 regular and postseasons.

His very first video on the subject ended with him cursing out AJ for his whistling comments in 2019. 

I think he fancies himself a later day Matt Drudge on this matter.   Nevermind that signaling isn't illegal, or that it's been around since the dawn of baseball signs. .

I'll probably watch his non-Astros content if he ever makes any,  but he can go fuck himself in the meantime.

BUWebguy

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 21, 2019, 02:40:49 pm »
ESPN/AP: "MLB widens investigation of Astros' conduct to last 3 seasons"

After the conclusion of owners meetings Thursday, baseball Commissioner Manfred said MLB will "investigate the Astros situation as thoroughly as humanly possible." The probe includes the team's firing of an assistant general manager during the World Series for clubhouse comments directed at female reporters, behavior the club at first accused Sports Illustrated of fabricating. ... Manfred says "that investigation is going to encompass not only what we know about `17, but also `18 and `19." MLB is "talking to people all over the industry, former employees, competitors, whatever. To the extent that we find other leads, we're going to follow these leads."
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 21, 2019, 03:05:36 pm »
I think any credible investigation would have to include a look at previous/subsequent seasons.

Now whether this turned out to be a credible investigation in other aspects is anybody's guess.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #367 on: November 21, 2019, 04:42:49 pm »
I think any credible investigation would have to include a look at previous/subsequent seasons.

So, just to be clear, this is an investigation into the Astros.  Any and all Astros employed now or previously for anything over the last three years and, maybe more.  Full stop.  Not an investigation into sign stealing by electronic means based on the rules as they existed at the time.  Ok, gotcha.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 21, 2019, 06:02:39 pm »
So, just to be clear, this is an investigation into the Astros.  Any and all Astros employed now or previously for anything over the last three years and, maybe more.  Full stop.  Not an investigation into sign stealing by electronic means based on the rules as they existed at the time.  Ok, gotcha.

What about this made you think it would be anything else?

(In theory any 2017 violations would be subject to rules in place at that time).

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #369 on: November 21, 2019, 06:25:28 pm »
What about this made you think it would be anything else?

(In theory any 2017 violations would be subject to rules in place at that time).

Nothing at all.  BTW, my snark was directed at the hypocritical bombasity of all of this, not at you.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

Knoxbanedoodle

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 22, 2019, 01:06:59 pm »
I just feel absolutely sick to my soul about all this shit. Is it accurate to say that there is no evidence of the Astros cheating since 2017? Most all the columns I’ve read are laced with what seem to me pretty blatant rationalizations for the one-sided skewering the Astros are receiving, including that Crane is a war profiteer and Luhnow fucked over Brady Aiken and the Astros are unscrupulous in their zeal for winning—never mind how exactly.

This should be the best time in history to be an Astros fan. I’m pissed at the front office for fumbling the Osuna and then the Taubman issues and sickened and saddened by this whole fucking abysmal shit show that likely wouldn’t have played out this way had they not. What a steaming pile we’ve been forced to watch the best team in Astros history made out to be.

And the silence from Houston is deafening. I imagine they’re under gag orders but Jesus Christ.

OK, here endeth the rant. Sorry. Thanks.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #371 on: November 22, 2019, 01:22:17 pm »
And the silence from Houston is deafening. I imagine they’re under gag orders but Jesus Christ.

I read on Twitter that all 30 owners are under a gag order about it at the owner's meetings, so it's reasonable to assume the Astros front office is as well.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #372 on: November 22, 2019, 01:23:05 pm »
I feel much the same way. This was the best team in Astros history, Luhnow has worked miracles in Houston, and the organization is getting crucified. I totally am convinced Taubman fucked up the WS, and no one can convince me otherwise.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #373 on: November 22, 2019, 01:31:52 pm »
Agree with both of you.

Reactionary assholes have had it in for Lunhow since his days in St. Louis.  His and the Astros success has only fueled their zeal to bring him down, due process be dammed.

And I hope the 2020 Astros mount the biggest "Eff You" season on the history of sports.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: November 22, 2019, 03:33:43 pm »
I just feel absolutely sick to my soul about all this shit. Is it accurate to say that there is no evidence of the Astros cheating since 2017? Most all the columns I’ve read are laced with what seem to me pretty blatant rationalizations for the one-sided skewering the Astros are receiving, including that Crane is a war profiteer and Luhnow fucked over Brady Aiken and the Astros are unscrupulous in their zeal for winning—never mind how exactly.

This should be the best time in history to be an Astros fan. I’m pissed at the front office for fumbling the Osuna and then the Taubman issues and sickened and saddened by this whole fucking abysmal shit show that likely wouldn’t have played out this way had they not. What a steaming pile we’ve been forced to watch the best team in Astros history made out to be.

OK, here endeth the rant. Sorry. Thanks.

I could not have described my feelings any better than you did in your first sentence.

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: November 22, 2019, 04:36:38 pm »
Behold the jomboy, obsessing over his hated Astros because they bitch slap his skanky yankees out of the postseason every time they meet. ALtuve's walk off homerun to crush yankee fan's dreams, priceless.  This IS, not was, the best Astros team and you lived to see it, dear contemporaries. Enjoy all the hate coming from Dallas. Fuck dallas sports fan. Don't give a shit about how the national press interprets this team. SURE...Hate that we hired Osuna, and Footer can cover herself in all the purple braclets she wants and still love the ASTROS (and footer). Hate the beyond inept way mangement other than Hinch handled Taubman. Love our Astros. Hate that they've been exposed cheating in a way that is not quiety accepted. Love yuli and his pina hair, MVP Bregman, SPRINGER!, EL adorable altuve, old man Verlander playing cy younger than his years, zack at every press confrence, and every other Astro who kept wearing an Astros hat after game seven. And even a very special thank you to wade miley for 5 great months of service.Respect and admire Hinch. Grateful to Luhnow for his brilliant work. And grateful to Crane who made it all possible. The last three years have been incredible. Don't believe for a moment all the good days are behind the Astros. Toro's hr, two nohitters and one near miss. Bregs near MVP season. Yordan's upper deck bomb and ROY! And loosing game seven after leading most the game. Man, that hurt, but now my boys know the pain of being a fan. Fuck! what a season. Love this team. And hey, mike fiers, total douchebag. My astros cup runnneth over with joy.
Where the fuck is Toro?

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: November 22, 2019, 07:55:05 pm »
Anyone else remember when some east coast conspiracy dupes and twits were claiming MLB rigged the ALCS and WS for the Astros because of Hurricane Harvey? I can't stand Yankee fans.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #377 on: November 22, 2019, 11:30:57 pm »
Pass along a couple things.   MLB told teams after the Red Sox Apple Watch stuff, that is it, next team is going to be in deep shit.  Astros appear to not have cared or  didn’t believe the warning. They have hell to pay now.  Someone is getting banned for life, hopefully it’s only Taubman.   This is similar to the braves GM situation, John Coppolella, who is now banned for life for breaking rules around international signings.  MLB has to make an example of someone who is flaunting the rules.

I personally don’t think the Astros are the only ones stealing signs electronically, but they got caught. Unless a Cubs, Yankee, Dodger, dBack, Red Sox, player s willing to put their name to it, like Fiers, the Astros are gonna be the only ones to suffer.

This sucks, but it is what it is. 
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: November 22, 2019, 11:39:26 pm »
Pass along a couple things.   MLB told teams after the Red Sox Apple Watch stuff, that is it, next team is going to be in deep shit.  Astros appear to not have cared or  didn’t believe the warning. They have hell to pay now. 

Except this all happened *before* the Red Sox Apple Watch stuff.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: November 22, 2019, 11:43:28 pm »
and after, which is the issue. 
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.