Author Topic: More controversy  (Read 11261 times)

JJxvi

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
Re: More controversy
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2019, 04:37:33 pm »
BTW, MLB already knew about all of this and has had teams coming to them for years accusing other teams of this.

This article is a whole year too late to the party, MLB already instituted rules prior to the 2019 season specifically to prevent this exact method of sign stealing.

For 2019, they banned all non broadcast cameras in the outfield from foul pole to foul pole.  They instituted a mandatory 8 second delay on all clubhouse and dugout video feeds.  Teams are allowed one live clubhouse video feed with one employee specifically for use in replay review and an MLB employee observes while it is in use (so two people watch it, effectively) to make sure no other club player or employee can use it.  MLB also banned all monitors and video in the tunnel between clubhouses and dugouts (specifically to fight this).  They also created an audit system where both scheduled and unscheduled inspections where all ballpark cameras and video monitors are audited and must be accounted for to MLB for a specific approved purpose.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 04:43:16 pm by JJxvi »

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2019, 04:48:17 pm »
BTW, MLB already knew about all of this and has had teams coming to them for years accusing other teams of this.

This article is a whole year too late to the party, MLB already instituted rules prior to the 2019 season specifically to prevent this exact method of sign stealing.

For 2019, they banned all non broadcast cameras in the outfield from foul pole to foul pole.  They instituted a mandatory 8 second delay on all clubhouse and dugout video feeds.  Teams are allowed one live clubhouse video feed with one employee specifically for use in replay review and an MLB employee observes while it is in use (so two people watch it, effectively) to make sure no other club player or employee can use it.  MLB also banned all monitors and video in the tunnel between clubhouses and dugouts (specifically to fight this).  They also created an audit system where both scheduled and unscheduled inspections where all ballpark cameras and video monitors are audited and must be accounted for to MLB for a specific approved purpose.

Excellent (!), but these facts will not slow down the media frenzy.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Astros Fan in Big D

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2019, 05:00:02 pm »
Excellent (!), but these facts will not slow down the media frenzy.

Yes.  We'll have to see if MLB says "yep, we knew about it,  hence the rule changes" or if they decide to feign ignorance.

SoonerJim

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2019, 05:05:31 pm »
It’s a way to beat on the Astros. This accusation would never be leveled at the favored few, all of whom we’ve beaten since 2017

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2019, 05:11:31 pm »
It’s a way to beat on the Astros. This accusation would never be leveled at the favored few, all of whom we’ve beaten since 2017

So true.

DVauthrin

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2019, 05:39:32 pm »
You have a scorned ex-Astro that lost his rotation spot in the second half of the 2017 season and was left off the playoff roster during the entire World Series run, and a former beat writer that claims the team tried to get him fired when he worked for the Houston Chronicle playing major roles in this story.  Plus, they single out the Astros in the title despite the fact that it’s a widespread issue across Major League Baseball. No bias here.

Modern journalism disgusts me in so many ways.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 05:44:21 pm by DVauthrin »
Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2019, 05:44:32 pm »
You have a scorned ex-Astro that lost his rotation spot in the second half of 2017 and was left off the playoff roster during the entire World Series run and a former beat writer that claims the team tried to get him fired when he worked for the Houston Chronicle playing major roles in this story.  No bias here or anything like that.

That is Drehlich’s bitch? I wondered why he had the long knives out. Why did the Red Sox fire him? Rosenthal just looks two-faced. He drooled all over Astros on TV, but not has written two scathing columns.

Astros Fan in Big D

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2019, 05:53:26 pm »
That is Drehlich’s bitch? I wondered why he had the long knives out. Why did the Red Sox fire him? Rosenthal just looks two-faced. He drooled all over Astros on TV, but not has written two scathing columns.

Rosenthal had an offseason overview piece last week that he ended with a paragraph about his hopes MLB would keep probing the Taubman/SI story.

https://theathletic.com/1350649/2019/11/05/rosenthal-storylines-to-watch-this-offseason-from-the-boras-brigade-to-the-red-soxs-decision-on-mookie-betts/

DVauthrin

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2019, 06:22:07 pm »
That is Drehlich’s bitch? I wondered why he had the long knives out.

Yep. The incident also raised questions over the franchise’s previous conduct. Former Astros beat writer Evan Drellich, who now writes for The Athletic, said the club tried to get him bounced when he worked for the Houston Chronicle.

“They were literally trying to get me replaced on the beat. They wanted me gone. They thought I was too critical… Anything in the playbook you could think of. It didn’t work. The editors stood behind me,” said Drellich. “But there was always the strong sense they wanted to control everything. In college sports, that’s how it is all the time.”

https://frntofficesport.com/sports-teams-media/

Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2019, 06:25:08 pm »
Jomboy found video of the September 2017 game Farquhar mentioned and made a breakdown.

The White Sox broadcast of the game picks up the banging too.

I didn't hear any banging in the White Sox video, but I did see the catcher not hide the change up sign. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

The Spleen

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2019, 06:40:10 pm »
Rosenthal had an offseason overview piece last week that he ended with a paragraph about his hopes MLB would keep probing the Taubman/SI story.

I'm not sure what there is to investigate. This isn't exactly a whodunit. Taubman's actions and motivation were pretty clear. The team has already given him the maximum punishment, and being really bad at PR isn't technically a violation of MLB rules. The only real mystery is the infamous press release. No sane PR person would have composed that thing. The ranting tone of it makes me suspect that Taubman or an ally dictated it or tampered with it before release. But that would be insubordination and a violation of team policy, not an MLB rule violation. The only obvious thing left for MLB to figure out is whether Taubman deserves punishment beyond what the team imposed.
When the Clark is dead, Spack will eat his spleen. Before he dies, Spack will put his posts under the knife so the Clark will see his threads wiped out forever...

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2019, 06:58:23 pm »
The only obvious thing left for MLB to figure out is whether Taubman deserves punishment beyond what the team imposed.

What could they do to him?  Put him in baseball jail along side the flashers from Washington?
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2019, 07:14:41 pm »
What could they do to him?  Put him in baseball jail along side the flashers from Washington?

Shoeless Joe, Pete Rose, Taubman.

Banned forever.

SoonerJim

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2019, 07:33:53 pm »
Shoeless Joe, Pete Rose, Taubman.

Banned forever.

A scalp is needed. He’ll do. Make an example out of him

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2019, 07:42:23 pm »

Works for me. MF created a huge distraction at the worst possible time.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2019, 07:43:43 pm »

On a completely unrelated note, I almost got suspended in high school for arguing about whether or not Sidney Carton and Charles Darnay were doppelgangers.  My teacher argued that they must have been identical looking, otherwise Carton could not have taken Darnay's place at the guillotine.  I argued that all that mattered is that someone's head rolled, and whose it was wasn't particularly important....that blood cleansing was the point, not justice. 

SoonerJim

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2019, 07:49:33 pm »
Works for me. MF created a huge distraction at the worst possible time.

Absolutely, the task was hard enough as it is. Media sharks circled around #MeToo, and Taubman gave them an entree served hot

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2019, 07:52:08 pm »
On a completely unrelated note, I almost got suspended in high school for arguing about whether or not Sidney Carton and Charles Darnay were doppelgangers.  My teacher argued that they must have been identical looking, otherwise Carton could not have taken Darnay's place at the guillotine.  I argued that all that mattered is that someone's head rolled, and whose it was wasn't particularly important....that blood cleansing was the point, not justice. 

Your reading is entirely plausible. Few if any in the mob waiting for the blade to fall would know who was who, and the powers-that-be who *would* know wouldn't dare postpone the show. One head's as good as another for their purpose.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

SoonerJim

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2019, 08:23:10 pm »
If Houston beat the Nats, I bet none of this browbeating occurs. Winning shuts critics down; far easier to go after the second place team or its program approach

The Spleen

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2019, 09:24:35 pm »
This story appears to be going big nationally. Trending on twitter and it's basically the entire MLB tab on ESPN right now...

In other news, there was no way they were not going to get caught. Players leave the team all the time through trade, free agency and release... and they'll all tell their new teams about what's going on right away. Even players still on the team will talk to their friends. Opposing players were apparently figuring out parts of the scheme in real time. How casual they were about the whole thing lends credence to the 'everybody was doing it' argument.
When the Clark is dead, Spack will eat his spleen. Before he dies, Spack will put his posts under the knife so the Clark will see his threads wiped out forever...