Author Topic: More controversy  (Read 11207 times)

JJxvi

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
Re: More controversy
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 12:49:54 pm »
So reading between the lines...the accused player/coach is going to end up being Cora and Beltran and is also the reason the 2018 ALCS was so bizarre and nutso with the paranoia?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 12:54:50 pm by JJxvi »

Astros Fan in Big D

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 12:56:48 pm »
Fiers blabbing is shitty.

SoonerJim

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 01:14:48 pm »
Are hand gestures obsolete? Should we go wireless?

JJxvi

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 01:25:31 pm »
We were clearly better at stealing signs from cameras in opposing parks in 2017-18

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 01:32:02 pm »
The whole thing is stupid.  If you can't beat the Astros it must be because they are cheating.

Fiers is an ass.  He does realize that if the Astros were illegally stealing signs, he benefited from it by getting wins? 

''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 01:41:09 pm »
The first sentence at the end of the first paragraph:  That illegal sign stealing, particularly through advanced technology, is everywhere.

But don't let that fact stop the baseball press from saving the world from the bad boys from Houston.

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 01:44:13 pm »
A Dehlich byline means a hatchet job. What a crock.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

The Spleen

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 01:49:23 pm »
The first sentence at the end of the first paragraph:  That illegal sign stealing, particularly through advanced technology, is everywhere.

'Bounty' schemes were all over the NFL. But the team chosen as the scapegoat was the one that played in a media desert, had no real national fanbase and whose sudden run of success was stealing oxygen from bigger market teams...
When the Clark is dead, Spack will eat his spleen. Before he dies, Spack will put his posts under the knife so the Clark will see his threads wiped out forever...

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2019, 01:49:40 pm »

But don't let that fact stop the baseball press from saving the world from the bad boys from Houston.

Bingo.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2019, 03:17:55 pm »
Jomboy found video of the September 2017 game Farquhar mentioned and made a breakdown.

The White Sox broadcast of the game picks up the banging too.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 03:32:30 pm »
Jomboy found video of the September 2017 game Farquhar mentioned and made a breakdown.

The White Sox broadcast of the game picks up the banging too.

Not very subtle.

AstroAndy

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 03:36:34 pm »
A Dehlich byline means a hatchet job. What a crock.

I'm assuming that Ken Rosenthal's presence in the byline is the only reason the headline includes the additional "part of a much broader issue for MLB" language.  If it was a pure Drellich piece, it almost certainly would not have looked beyond a single team.  As it is, much of the writing mirrors many of Drellich's other Astros-critical articles, and the focus on it being a "broader issue" for MLB is very light, with only the 2017 Red Sox/Apple Watch issue getting any specificity.  This has literally been a major concern for MLB for years, and it doesn't take investigative journalism to actually collect that information--just basic Googling.  The Brewers accused the Dodgers of using video to steal signs in last year's playoffs.  The Red Sox accused the Yankees of stealing signs using their YES cameras in 2018.  The Yankees were fined for inappropriate use of the dugout phone in 2017.  A year ago, Sports Illustrated ran an article entitled "Many MLB teams Installing Multiple Surveillance Cameras to Steal Opponents' Signs."  Teams, plural.  Even Bleacher Report--not exactly a paragon of investigatory excellence--turned up "several league sources" who pointed the finger at eight non-Astros clubs that use video to steal signs.  Where are the hit jobs on those teams?  I'd be very interested to read an article that's actually about the "broader issue," and not just a one-team hit job.  This is what happens when you unnecessarily piss off the press pool.

Fiers blabbing is shitty.

Frankly, I'm so tired of the anonymous accusations that usually fill these kinds of articles (and there are still a fair number of anonymous quotes in this article) that it's refreshing to me that Fiers was willing to put his name on the soundbites.  And I agree with him that if there's cheating going on--regardless of whether it's my team doing it or not--it's unfair and should be stamped out. 

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2019, 03:44:12 pm »
Rosenthal reports a statement from the Astros: “Regarding the story posted by The Athletic earlier today, the Houston Astros organization has begun an investigation in cooperation with Major League Baseball. It would not be appropriate to comment further on this matter at this time.”

They've come a long way from responding with a unfounded character assassination.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2019, 03:51:31 pm »
Not very subtle.

That's the weird thing - it's so obvious that surely they couldn't get away with it very often.  I didn't hear it again in the 8th after Gattis's AB.  Spot checked a few other points in the game and didn't hear it.

SoonerJim

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2019, 04:05:41 pm »
A high speed electronic relay from an outfield camera has as its last communication modality, a bat banging on a trashcan.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2019, 04:08:23 pm »
As for Fiers,  the obvious follow up question wasn't asked:

"Have you been on any other teams that have stolen signs illegally and if so which team(s) and how was it done?"

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2019, 04:15:33 pm »
Fuck Jomboy and his on-camera outrage. Cheating must be why the Astros ousted NYY three of the last five years.

There are high speed cameras all around every ballpark. The recent book on Bauer and player development made that clear. I will wait on the investigation of every team. This is two articles each for Rosenthal and Drehlich to target the Astros.  That is the price of winning big, I guess.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

TeeJoe

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2019, 04:26:01 pm »
There are high speed cameras all around every ballpark. The recent book on Bauer and player development made that clear. I will wait on the investigation of every team.
Exactly! The below article states that this shouldn't be an Astros only investigation...

But this is likely not just an Astros story. Major League Baseball has a pretty big cheating scandal on its hands. Now let’s see if Major League Baseball treats it as such rather than limit its inquiry to just the Houston Astros.
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/astros-stole-signs-electronically-2017-191628433.html

JJxvi

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2019, 04:31:18 pm »
Fuck Jomboy and his on-camera outrage. Cheating must be why the Astros ousted NYY three of the last five years.

There are high speed cameras all around every ballpark. The recent book on Bauer and player development made that clear. I will wait on the investigation of every team. This is two articles each for Rosenthal and Drehlich to target the Astros.  That is the price of winning big, I guess.

Jomboy's asshurt is my favorite thing to come out of this story...