Author Topic: Reid Ryan phasing out  (Read 1445 times)

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
Re: Reid Ryan phasing out
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2019, 04:38:28 pm »
The optics are only terrible for the Ryans.

Exactly! Why do I agree with you so much? You should be concerned.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2019, 05:53:15 pm »
Yeah, well maybe. The press release was Reid’s ultimate responsibility. Seems more like your initial theory though. Reid is great at PR but is not a baseball guy. Nolan was a great pitcher who morphed into an ass.

The Rangers will do that to you.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2019, 07:18:55 pm »
The fact that they already announced Jared taking his place rather than searching for a replacement says to me that Jim wanted his son in the job to start grooming him, and shoved Reid out to make it happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crane is the controlling owner, but far from the only owner. I’m surprised he was willing to jam his son into this role given that the minority owners own a significant portion of the team and would likely prefer to explore other options.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2019, 07:25:32 pm »

Crane is the controlling owner, but far from the only owner. I’m surprised he was willing to jam his son into this role given that the minority owners own a significant portion of the team and would likely prefer to explore other options.

How do you know the “likely” part? How do you know he did not discuss the changes with them?

Lefty

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2019, 11:36:26 pm »
I know nothing about Crane Jr other than he's in his mid-30's... where'd he go to school, where'd he work afterwards?  Not that it's a be-all-end-all, but it's interesting to know.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

Duman

• Contributor
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2019, 07:18:08 am »
I know nothing about Crane Jr other than he's in his mid-30's... where'd he go to school, where'd he work afterwards?  Not that it's a be-all-end-all, but it's interesting to know.

GIFY - Here is his linkedin page
Always ready to go to a game.

Dobro

• Prime Time Player
  • Triple Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2019, 09:08:40 am »

If you're looking for something in his resume to support this move, you won't find it.
Lighten up, Francis.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2019, 09:14:27 am »
If you're looking for something in his resume to support this move, you won't find it.
Yes you will. It is right there in his name. I'm just grateful McLane's kids weren't interested back in the day.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

chuck

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2019, 09:22:37 am »
Yes you will. It is right there in his name. I'm just grateful McLane's kids weren't interested back in the day.

McLane's kid was a Mets fan.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

Texifornia

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2019, 09:27:35 am »
I see no baseball background at all. I see a member of the lucky sperm club. He would not be considered for this job by any other team. That doesn't mean he won't be good at it, it just means he didn't get the job on merit.
He breezed him, one more time!

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2019, 09:32:59 am »
I see no baseball background at all.

He's president of business operations.  He (presumably/hopefully) won't have much to do with the baseball side of things.

I see a member of the lucky sperm club. He would not be considered for this job by any other team. That doesn't mean he won't be good at it, it just means he didn't get the job on merit.

Also probably all true.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2019, 09:44:13 am »

So you see nothing in his resume that says he's capable of running a business?
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2019, 10:19:47 am »
I see no baseball background at all. I see a member of the lucky sperm club. He would not be considered for this job by any other team. That doesn't mean he won't be good at it, it just means he didn't get the job on merit.

Reid Ryan did not have “a baseball job.” This is a corporate business position, not a baseball job. Luhnow and his staff handle baseball. How would you describe Reid Ryan if you think Crane’s son is nothing but a “lucky sperm?” Was Reid Ryan qualified (by your astute judgment) to run a professional franchise 20 years ago?

If a baseball background were required before being hired, many front offices in MLB would have to get rid of there nerds and analysts.

Y’all are just looking for something to bitch about.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 10:23:19 am by JimR »

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2019, 10:23:45 am »
Reid Ryan did not have “a baseball job.” This is a corporate business position, not a baseball job. Luhnow and his staff handle baseball.

If a baseball background were required before being hired, many front offices in MLB would have to get rid of there nerds and analysts.

Y’all are just looking for something to bitch about.

You worded that well, thank you.  I've been trying to figure out why so many are "up in arms" over this.  As long as things continue to get better  - I think they did under Reid - then woohoo for us!  As long as they leave Luhnow alone I'll be happy.

I think both Reid and Jared lucked out in the sperm pool. 
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Astros Fan in Big D

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2019, 10:29:13 am »
You worded that well, thank you.  I've been trying to figure out why so many are "up in arms" over this.  As long as things continue to get better  - I think they did under Reid - then woohoo for us!  As long as they leave Luhnow alone I'll be happy.
[/u]

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2019, 10:30:18 am »

Of course they did, but being lucky in being born well does not mean they lack talent or ability. Thinking otherwise without personal knowledge is an insult.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2019, 10:35:27 am »
Of course they did, but being lucky in being born well does not mean they lack talent or ability. Thinking otherwise without personal knowledge is an insult.

Exactly. Reid Ryan certainly benefitted from having a famous dad. However, as I understand it, he was the driving force behind the Hooks success and has done what appears to be a great job for the Astros. Jim Crane won't suffer fools for long, so if his son doesn't work out, I bet that he won't hesitate to take nexcessary steps to solve the problem.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2019, 11:08:19 am »

It was a comment on their genes not their capabilities. 
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2019, 11:17:12 am »
Some public comments from the priniciples themselves:

(Crane) We felt at this time it was time for [Jared] to step in. I'm past retirement age, and he needs to learn the business if the family is going to retain the team...I'm not a spring chicken. I've been working hard for a long time, and in all of my stuff I'm building a succession plan. Baseball requires a plan in peace for each team, so we're doing that and planning for the family. It has nothing to do with Reid.

(Reid) Jim Crane has been a great owner for the city of Houston, and I thank him for the opportunity to lead the Houston Astros organization. Thank you to the many employees, fans, and partners that have supported this team during my tenure as president. Baseball is about bringing joy to people's lives and I take pride in knowing that we have made so many memories for our fans. While my role has changed, I will remain with the Astros and look forward to another great season in 2020.

Texifornia

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2019, 12:25:22 pm »

(Crane) We felt at this time it was time for [Jared] to step in. I'm past retirement age, and he needs to learn the business if the family is going to retain the team...I'm not a spring chicken.
So Crane himself agrees with me. His son got the job because he is his son. Again, it doesn't imply nefarious motive, he is preparing a succession plan for the family to continue ownership of the team. If Jared is good at it, it bodes well for the team's future.

What did not happen was an executive search that yielded Jared Crane as the best candidate by pure coincidence. I hope he is good at the job because he probably won't be replaced if he isn't.
He breezed him, one more time!