Author Topic: Hinch’s decisions and thinking/G7  (Read 13458 times)

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
Hinch’s decisions and thinking/G7
« on: November 01, 2019, 05:58:52 pm »
Great article in the Athletic today concerning the stuff we have been discussing.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Astros Fan in Big D

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
Re: Hinch’s decisions and thinking/G7
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 07:55:31 pm »
Several years ago I read a great postgame quote from Jim Leyland.   I've searched for it but can't find it.  Might have been 2011, definitely was postseason.

He basically said decisions pop up in the game,  and the interesting ones are interesting because there's no clear answer as to which one is 'right'.  So don't come at him with indignation at a decision because the other choice had about the same chance of failing as the one that was made.

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 08:54:07 pm »
I've found myself saying this a lot recently, both to myself and to others, I'm pretty sure I've even said it on this site a time or two. It definitely fits here.

Just because something doesn't work, doesn't mean it was the wrong decision. Just because something works, doesn't make it the right decision.

Bringing in Harris when he did, was the right decision. 9/10 times, Harris gets the job done, and the Astros probably win the game, this was the 1. Anybody who says that bringing in Harris in the 7th was a bad decision, simply has no baseball intelligence.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 06:15:17 am »
I've found myself saying this a lot recently, both to myself and to others, I'm pretty sure I've even said it on this site a time or two. It definitely fits here.

Just because something doesn't work, doesn't mean it was the wrong decision. Just because something works, doesn't make it the right decision.

Bringing in Harris when he did, was the right decision. 9/10 times, Harris gets the job done, and the Astros probably win the game, this was the 1. Anybody who says that bringing in Harris in the 7th was a bad decision, simply has no baseball intelligence.

This is abosultely correct, and my heart breaks for Harris. He had been so good-the rally stopper-all year, and that chip shot cheap homer on a great pitch was so cruel. I feel only slightly less bad for JV because the narrative of his WS “failures” now will continue. The BBGs should have allowed him one more dominating game. I don’t feel so bad for the hitters; they hit the ball hard with runners on, but if a fielder is standing right there, the hitters did all they could do. These are only two of the teammates Cole let down while being a selfish ass after the game.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 07:25:07 am by JimR »

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 06:55:26 am »

Absofuckinglutely correct on all scores. Will Harris has been nails all year. I feel awful for my LSU Tiger brother. He deserved a better fate, as Coach noted, getting beat on an awesome pitch (perfect call and perfect execution), that's just cruel and unusual punishment.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 09:36:31 pm »
If he'd left Greinke in, and Greinke gave up the lead, or called in Cole, and Cole gave up the lead, he'd have been attacked for that. The critics are going to bitch no matter what. Because to them, it's just a matter of pulling the right levers, and, viola, victory! That's not how the real world works.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 08:09:34 am »
If he'd left Greinke in, and Greinke gave up the lead, or called in Cole, and Cole gave up the lead, he'd have been attacked for that. The critics are going to bitch no matter what. Because to them, it's just a matter of pulling the right levers, and, viola, victory! That's not how the real world works.

I posted this in the GZ aftermath, but it works here also.

Hinch’s Harris decision, imo: he trusted Harris in that situation more than Greinke. Longer history with him, Harris had an excellent season and postseason, had Ked Kendrick in key situation in DC. As Arky said, whatever Hinch did in the 7th would have been condemned by the media and the uneducated if it did not result in a victory.

I guess I’ll get over my disappointment and disbelief about G7 in time, but I am not close to there yet.

SoonerJim

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2019, 10:01:43 am »
I’m older, so 1986 is still my saddest moment following Houston since 1968. I can now begin the process of reconciliation

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2019, 10:10:59 am »
I’m older, so 1986 is still my saddest moment following Houston since 1968. I can now begin the process of reconciliation

1980 was terrible also. I MAY be over them.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2019, 10:54:47 am »
1980 was terrible also. I MAY be over them.

Until 2017 I was convinced this franchise was established simply to break my heart every few years.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2019, 11:06:43 am »
Until 2017 I was convinced this franchise was established simply to break my heart every few years.
Hank Williams, you wrote my life.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2019, 11:19:42 am »

I naively thought those days were over, and certainly it would not happen this year. This team was too complete and too good. Much like 1986, I know. The BBGs did not appear to want that team to win either. To lose four games at home with our dual aces pitching three of them and Greinke pitching the fourth is unfathomable...to me at least.

SoonerJim

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2019, 11:45:47 am »
We played genuinely bad human beings in 1986

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2019, 12:33:17 pm »
So far first waking thought each morning has centered on the 7th inning.

I'm guessing it'll be that way for a while.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2019, 12:37:08 pm »
We played genuinely bad human beings in 1986

I have no idea what this means. We played really good players who were on a roll this time. Cannot explain the difference between the two teams’ performances at home and on the road.

SoonerJim

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2019, 12:50:33 pm »
I have no idea what this means. We played really good players who were on a roll this time. Cannot explain the difference between the two teams’ performances at home and on the road.

I’m referring to off the field, Dykstra, Hernandez, and Strawberry.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2019, 01:00:17 pm »
And another thing:

Correa's RBI hit deflects off Rendon's glove,  his the short wall instead of going into the corner, keeping Carlos at 1st and Alvarez at 3rd.

Not the craziest of outcomes for that particular ball (may have hit that wall without the deflection), and Alvarez may not get around from 1st to home.   But it would have been nice to see it rattle around down there.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2019, 01:11:49 pm »
1998 hurt also. Not like this, though.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2019, 04:21:54 pm »

Particularly since it was not a trend during the regular season that was repeated post-season.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2019, 04:33:19 pm »
will go down  as one of  the most bizzare  ws in history
forever is composed entirely of nows

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2019, 05:01:13 pm »
1998 hurt also. Not like this, though.
86 killed me, but I would have sworn we were going to the WS in '98
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2019, 05:34:00 pm »
This season the main thing I worried about,  besides injuries,  happened: the Astros didn't play their best in the postseason.

That's what gnaws at me right now.

Dobro

• Prime Time Player
  • Triple Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2019, 09:16:16 pm »
I felt more certain the '98 team was going to win it all than I did this '19 team.  For me, the '98 outcome was truly a shocker and I'm still not sure I've fully recovered from Game 6 in '86.  I so badly wanted the World Series in '98 for Biggio and Bagwell, almost as if they were my own children.  Then there was NLDS Game 3 in '99.
Lighten up, Francis.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2019, 11:07:55 pm »
So far first waking thought each morning has centered on the 7th inning.

I'm guessing it'll be that way for a while.

Yep. I wake up and have forgotten about it, then remember it and experience it all over again.

Think how the players themselves must feel.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2019, 11:10:19 pm »
I posted this in the GZ aftermath, but it works here also.

Hinch’s Harris decision, imo: he trusted Harris in that situation more than Greinke. Longer history with him, Harris had an excellent season and postseason, had Ked Kendrick in key situation in DC. As Arky said, whatever Hinch did in the 7th would have been condemned by the media and the uneducated if it did not result in a victory.

I guess I’ll get over my disappointment and disbelief about G7 in time, but I am not close to there yet.

It will always be a sore spot. Just less sore with time.

If they win another one with this team, it might become less significant in context. If this team doesn't win again, it's going to stick out forever.

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2019, 01:13:46 am »
This season the main thing I worried about,  besides injuries,  happened: the Astros didn't play their best in the postseason.

Talked to a guy I didn't know before today, a Rockies fan who recognised my Astros and asked me what happened?  I just said they blew a great opportunity for another title.  His explanation, the gnats just wanted it more...  it sounds cliche maybe, but hard to argue.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may make you think you are whispering when you are not.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2019, 08:13:47 am »
It will always be a sore spot. Just less sore with time.

If they win another one with this team, it might become less significant in context. If this team doesn't win again, it's going to stick out forever.
This.
Up in the Air

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2019, 08:26:02 am »

There are worse fates than not being able to beat Scherzer and Strasburg.

At least, that's what's helping me right now.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2019, 08:35:22 am »
Talked to a guy I didn't know before today, a Rockies fan who recognised my Astros and asked me what happened?  I just said they blew a great opportunity for another title.  His explanation, the gnats just wanted it more...  it sounds cliche maybe, but hard to argue.

Bullshit.  The Nationals did not want to win more than the Astros.  That's a slap in the face to the Astros.  The difference was some balls ended up in gloves and some didn't. 
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2019, 09:01:46 am »
Execution.  Luck.  Fate. 

Not effort.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2019, 09:09:03 am »
Bullshit.  The Nationals did not want to win more than the Astros.  That's a slap in the face to the Astros.  The difference was some balls ended up in gloves and some didn't.
Right on all accounts.

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2019, 10:25:47 am »
The "x team wanted it more" is the laziest, most tired, worst take in all of sports

BUWebguy

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2019, 10:33:54 am »
My consolation is that I can look up at my wall and see reminders that the Astros won it all in 2017.

I can't imagine how bad Game 7 would have hurt if we didn't have that one.
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2019, 10:53:26 am »
Do I wish Hinch had left Greinke in? Yes. Did I think putting in Harris was a misteak? No. I'm so used to my Houston teams getting beat in extraordinary and disappointing fashions, that this loss wasn't that bad for me. Most of those past losses have been by the Cougars and the Oilers but the Astros and Rockets have had their share of contributions too. Washington made the plays and got the hits that they needed to win. I take my hat off to them.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2019, 11:14:57 am »
Do I wish Hinch had left Greinke in? Yes. Did I think putting in Harris was a misteak? No. I'm so used to my Houston teams getting beat in extraordinary and disappointing fashions, that this loss wasn't that bad for me.

The late 90s/2001 postseason losses and OU's domination of Texas from 2000-2004 (especially being in the stands for 65-13) helped me learn to not get too down about sports disappointment.  An old thread from Hornfans after 65-13 - "How many remote controls have you broken watching Texas football?" - put it in perspective for me.

Since then I've been able to enjoy the highs (2006 Rose Bowl, 2017 WS) without getting ruined by the lows (2005 WS, 2010 Rose Bowl, etc.).

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2019, 11:26:59 am »

Total bullshit. They were more fortunate in a key situation and the Astros were in theirs.

“Wanted it more” is worse than lame. It is the excuse of the clueless.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2019, 11:32:06 am »
The late 90s/2001 postseason losses and OU's domination of Texas from 2000-2004 (especially being in the stands for 65-13) helped me learn to not get too down about sports disappointment.  An old thread from Hornfans after 65-13 - "How many remote controls have you broken watching Texas football?" - put it in perspective for me.

Since then I've been able to enjoy the highs (2006 Rose Bowl, 2017 WS) without getting ruined by the lows (2005 WS, 2010 Rose Bowl, etc.).

Regular season football games and G7 of the WS are apples and oranges to me. There is no comparison.

SoonerJim

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2019, 11:33:20 am »
It’s not like we were 2001 Seattle or something

WVastro

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2019, 12:30:31 pm »
The WS in ‘17 has made everything over the last two seasons far more bearable. I’m still bummed but I’d be losing my shit if it weren’t for ‘17.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2019, 12:37:22 pm »
It’s not like we were 2001 Seattle or something

Yeah, that was great, but the past has no effect on this year for me. This was a better team which did not play as well in G7.

SoonerJim

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2019, 01:03:11 pm »
Just a quick back of the envelope almanac survey; the only superteams (105+ wins) who’ve played in the ws against 90-96 or so win teams and won have been the NYY, and the BoSox last year. Many have lost outside of that restriction. Winning the WS is a formidable task in any event

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2019, 01:11:53 pm »
Just a quick back of the envelope almanac survey; the only superteams (105+ wins) who’ve played in the ws against 90-96 or so win teams and won have been the NYY, and the BoSox last year. Many have lost outside of that restriction. Winning the WS is a formidable task in any event

I suspect this series will eat at the guys (and AJ, and Lunhow) and they'll be ready to throw down come springtime.

It'll probably be the roughest on JV.

BlownRanger

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2019, 01:20:47 pm »
I suspect this series will eat at the guys (and AJ, and Lunhow) and they'll be ready to throw down come springtime.

Hinch is on record as liking it very much when the Astros accomplish something that's never been done.  I'm pretty sure none of the previous five teams with three straight 100-win seasons went on to make it four.
"He hit that one right up the poop chute, Bill" - Enos Cabell

SoonerJim

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2019, 01:24:10 pm »
I’m a New Orleans native and watched the NFC game on TV last January, so I can process this series’ outcome

Tom Servo

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2019, 02:01:57 pm »
The WS in ‘17 has made everything over the last two seasons far more bearable. I’m still bummed but I’d be losing my shit if it weren’t for ‘17.

Yep

Knoxbanedoodle

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2019, 03:13:44 pm »

This is me exactly. I am telling all my customers, who are well aware of my fandom, that I’m holding my head high. This is what I say: We were a historically good team this year, we won 117 games and the pennant and beat the Yankees and it took the hottest team on the planet seven games and some freaky luck to beat us when we were slumping. Plus we won one two years ago. I’m wearing my shirts with pride.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2019, 03:55:14 pm »

I also found it an interesting exercise to look into the history of 100-win teams in the World Series era:

37 won the World Series
30 lost the World Series
36 didn't make it to the World Series
- 7 lost in the LCS round in the wild card era
- 7 lost in the LCS round pre-wild card
- 14 (over 10% of all 100-win teams!) lost in the LDS round
- 2 missed the postseason in the division era (both pre-wild card)
- 6 missed the postseason pre-division era
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 03:57:33 pm by Waldo »

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2019, 04:00:39 pm »
I'm pretty sure none of the previous five teams with three straight 100-win seasons went on to make it four.

Correct.  The 1906-1910 FTC almost made it five in a row; won 100+ every season except 1908, when they won 99.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2019, 04:48:25 pm »
Eight fucking outs.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2019, 06:11:59 pm »
This is me exactly. I am telling all my customers, who are well aware of my fandom, that I’m holding my head high. This is what I say: We were a historically good team this year, we won 117 games and the pennant and beat the Yankees and it took the hottest team on the planet seven games and some freaky luck to beat us when we were slumping. Plus we won one two years ago. I’m wearing my shirts with pride.

This is excellent, Devin.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2019, 06:14:07 pm »
Eight fucking outs.

With Harris, Osuna, and Cole to get them.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2019, 06:46:51 pm »

It'll probably be the roughest on JV.

Yes, JV

Rays: dominating win, loss on short rest
NYY: no decision (Astros won in 11), loss
Nats; loss, loss (the team had chances to take him off the hook but failed)

1-4 in the postseason. He did not pitch bad, but he dominated only once. First inning woes plagued him.

SoonerJim

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2019, 06:59:30 pm »
Yes, JV

Rays: dominating win, loss on short rest
NYY: no decision (Astros won in 11), loss
Nats; loss, loss (the team had chances to take him off the hook but failed)

1-4 in the postseason. He did not pitch bad, but he dominated only once. First inning woes plagued him.

His innings were high, and we burned him out. That's correctable

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2019, 07:18:09 pm »
His innings were high, and we burned him out. That's correctable

We found the Fountain of Youth? He will have to be a willing partner in any reduction of his innings. Good way to piss him off.

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2019, 07:20:41 pm »
Total bullshit. They were more fortunate in a key situation and the Astros were in theirs.

“Wanted it more” is worse than lame. It is the excuse of the clueless.

Is it worse that we were unlucky? Heard a fair bit of that.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may make you think you are whispering when you are not.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2019, 07:25:06 pm »
Is it worse that we were unlucky? Heard a fair bit of that.

Far, far worse. Unlucky is a fact. “Wanted it more” sounds like HS football. Completely silly applied to professional baseball players in the World Series.

SoonerJim

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2019, 07:56:51 pm »
We found the Fountain of Youth? He will have to be a willing partner in any reduction of his innings. Good way to piss him off.

His postseason record is 0-6, I see no  alternative

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2019, 08:15:47 pm »

That is not correct. His WS record may be 0-5, but he has other postseason wins, including one dominant one this year.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2019, 08:23:41 pm »

See above and check again. Do not forget 2017. He was MVP of the ALCS and also beat Boston twice (I think he was the winner in G5).

He beat the Rays this year, and he pitched well against NYY. Not 0-6.

SoonerJim

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2019, 09:15:43 pm »
BB9    SO9    SO/W    WPA
8 ALDS      8   1   .889   2.52   13   12   0   1   1   0   75.0   49   21   21   6   29   0   87   1   0   1   296   1.040   5.9   0.7   3.5   10.4   3.00   1.65
7 ALCS      6   4   .600   3.13   11   11   0   1   0   0   74.2   56   26   26   11   17   0   79   1   1   5   296   0.978   6.8   1.3   2.0   9.5   4.65   1.59
4 WS      0   6   .000   5.68   7   7   0   0   0   0   38.0   35   27   24   9   14   0   39   1   0   2   162   1.289   8.3   2.1   3.3   9.2   2.79   -0.84
Standard Batting

OK, it's the World series. If Hinch deems it an issue, then it must be. There is a trend in the above stats

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2019, 09:53:37 pm »
Three in Houston, three in Detroit, I guess.

2017 v LA: no decision (Game 2 win, gave up 3, team scored 1 while he was in), loss in Game 6 (pitched very well, 1 run in support)

2019 v. Washington: loss (gave up 4 after leaving one on when he left, team score 2 while he was in), loss (gave up 3, team scored 2).

0-3 in WS for Astros.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2019, 10:09:20 pm »
To me game 6 sticks out from that bunch like a sore thumb.

He labored like crazy just to get thru 5 and didn't protest when he was told he was done.   He's a hell of a competitor but he was spent.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2019, 06:33:21 am »
To me game 6 sticks out from that bunch like a sore thumb.

He labored like crazy just to get thru 5 and didn't protest when he was told he was done.   He's a hell of a competitor but he was spent.

Yep, and still only gave up 3. His FB never got much above 93-94.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2019, 09:39:17 am »
BB9    SO9    SO/W    WPA
8 ALDS      8   1   .889   2.52   13   12   0   1   1   0   75.0   49   21   21   6   29   0   87   1   0   1   296   1.040   5.9   0.7   3.5   10.4   3.00   1.65
7 ALCS      6   4   .600   3.13   11   11   0   1   0   0   74.2   56   26   26   11   17   0   79   1   1   5   296   0.978   6.8   1.3   2.0   9.5   4.65   1.59
4 WS      0   6   .000   5.68   7   7   0   0   0   0   38.0   35   27   24   9   14   0   39   1   0   2   162   1.289   8.3   2.1   3.3   9.2   2.79   -0.84
Standard Batting

OK, it's the World series. If Hinch deems it an issue, then it must be. There is a trend in the above stats

You've got a sample size of 30 postseason starts total and seven starts in the World Series. I'd be wary of reading too much of a trend out of such a limited data set.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2019, 09:42:56 am »
Far, far worse. Unlucky is a fact. “Wanted it more” sounds like HS football. Completely silly applied to professional baseball players in the World Series.

You beat me to it and said it far better than I could.

They've been doing this since they were little boys, are incredibly well compensated, are among the best in the world at what they do, and were on the cusp of returning to their profession's highest pinnacle. The idea that they just didn't want it badly enough is ludicrous.

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2019, 09:55:45 am »
Correct.  The 1906-1910 FTC almost made it five in a row; won 100+ every season except 1908, when they won 99.

Which is even scarier given that that they didn't play 162 games. Even then, they lost two World Series and didn't win the pennant once.

1906 - 116-36 - Lost World Series (to the 93-58 White Sox)
1907 - 107-45 - Won World Series
1908 - 99-55 - Won World Series
1909 - 104-49 - Finished 2nd (by 6-1/2 games; the Pirates were 110-42)
1910 - 104-50 - Lost World Series (to the 102-48 A's)

Apply those winning percentages to 162 and you get:

1906 - 124-38
1907 - 114-48
1908 - 104-58
1909 - 110-52
1910 - 109-53

People talk about competitive imbalance today. Winning that many games in an eight-team league means that the bottom-feeders were unspeakably awful.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2019, 09:58:19 am »
AussieAstro I think the mandate is clear: you need to take that dude fishing, drop him in shark infested water and tell him to swim for shore.  He'll make it if he wants it bad enough.

SoonerJim

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2019, 10:10:07 am »
You've got a sample size of 30 postseason starts total and seven starts in the World Series. I'd be wary of reading too much of a trend out of such a limited data set.

It’s his entire postseason, so you cannot increase statistical probability once you have the entire data set. How does that record compare to other “aces”, and is there diminution with age?

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2019, 10:51:48 am »
It’s his entire postseason, so you cannot increase statistical probability once you have the entire data set. How does that record compare to other “aces”, and is there diminution with age?

Verlander has gotten better the last two years. It is in all the papers; maybe you have seen it.

He pitched well in the postseason with the Astros but did not have good stuff in G7.

What about Cole in G1? What cataclysmic conclusions did you draw from that?

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 05, 2019, 11:58:36 am »
People talk about competitive imbalance today. Winning that many games in an eight-team league means that the bottom-feeders were unspeakably awful.

It was a time of haves and have nots.  There were generally only three or four teams that were above .500. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2019, 01:14:05 pm »
AussieAstro I think the mandate is clear: you need to take that dude fishing, drop him in shark infested water and tell him to swim for shore.  He'll make it if he wants it bad enough.
Too be fair he didn't say the Astros didn't want it he just said the Nats wanted it more. The Nats maybe wanted it 110% and the Astros only wanted it 109.99%...

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 05, 2019, 07:46:38 pm »
Too be fair he didn't say the Astros didn't want it he just said the Nats wanted it more. The Nats maybe wanted it 110% and the Astros only wanted it 109.99%...

To be fair, it's still a really meaningless cliche.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 05, 2019, 07:53:50 pm »

Fuck being fair. It was a stupid statement.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2019, 05:57:15 am »
To be fair of course it is stupid and meaningless. To be fair trying harder doesn't guarantee shit. To be fair it is a sports cliche. To be fair you shouldn't be triggered by stupid and meaningless sports cliches that don't guarantee shit.

Aussie Astro

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 06, 2019, 06:27:21 am »

Yeah, the guy was not bagging the good guys, it is funny (not sure that is the right word?) how a throwaway line has triggered so many people, make of that what you will.  I guess we will all make our conclusions about what happened eventually and come to terms with it.  I look back nearly a week after a really painful game 7 loss and I can give the gnats a half an ounce of credit for… oops, cliché free zone, right?  I don’t think that denigrates the Astros in any way.

I’m in Kalgoorlie for the week so I can’t get to it for a few days, but when I dump this poor bastard at sea, do you want me to chum the water as well?

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2019, 07:17:01 am »

I’m in Kalgoorlie for the week so I can’t get to it for a few days, but when I dump this poor bastard at sea, do you want me to chum the water as well?

Chum?   We're not animals here.   Chum the water only if he doesn't bring beer for the trip.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2019, 04:44:12 am »

This whole wanted it more really pisses me off. These are PROFESSIONAL athletes. Their goal is to win a championship. Have you ever seen how much work it takes to perform at that level? If you ever do, you'll change your tune quickly. They all badly want it. Preiod.