Author Topic: Hinch’s decisions and thinking/G7  (Read 1633 times)

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
Hinch’s decisions and thinking/G7
« on: November 01, 2019, 05:58:52 pm »
Great article in the Athletic today concerning the stuff we have been discussing.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Astros Fan in Big D

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
Re: Hinch’s decisions and thinking/G7
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 07:55:31 pm »
Several years ago I read a great postgame quote from Jim Leyland.   I've searched for it but can't find it.  Might have been 2011, definitely was postseason.

He basically said decisions pop up in the game,  and the interesting ones are interesting because there's no clear answer as to which one is 'right'.  So don't come at him with indignation at a decision because the other choice had about the same chance of failing as the one that was made.

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 08:54:07 pm »
I've found myself saying this a lot recently, both to myself and to others, I'm pretty sure I've even said it on this site a time or two. It definitely fits here.

Just because something doesn't work, doesn't mean it was the wrong decision. Just because something works, doesn't make it the right decision.

Bringing in Harris when he did, was the right decision. 9/10 times, Harris gets the job done, and the Astros probably win the game, this was the 1. Anybody who says that bringing in Harris in the 7th was a bad decision, simply has no baseball intelligence.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 06:15:17 am »
I've found myself saying this a lot recently, both to myself and to others, I'm pretty sure I've even said it on this site a time or two. It definitely fits here.

Just because something doesn't work, doesn't mean it was the wrong decision. Just because something works, doesn't make it the right decision.

Bringing in Harris when he did, was the right decision. 9/10 times, Harris gets the job done, and the Astros probably win the game, this was the 1. Anybody who says that bringing in Harris in the 7th was a bad decision, simply has no baseball intelligence.

This is abosultely correct, and my heart breaks for Harris. He had been so good-the rally stopper-all year, and that chip shot cheap homer on a great pitch was so cruel. I feel only slightly less bad for JV because the narrative of his WS “failures” now will continue. The BBGs should have allowed him one more dominating game. I don’t feel so bad for the hitters; they hit the ball hard with runners on, but if a fielder is standing right there, the hitters did all they could do. These are only two of the teammates Cole let down while being a selfish ass after the game.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 07:25:07 am by JimR »

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 06:55:26 am »

Absofuckinglutely correct on all scores. Will Harris has been nails all year. I feel awful for my LSU Tiger brother. He deserved a better fate, as Coach noted, getting beat on an awesome pitch (perfect call and perfect execution), that's just cruel and unusual punishment.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Arky Vaughan

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 09:36:31 pm »
If he'd left Greinke in, and Greinke gave up the lead, or called in Cole, and Cole gave up the lead, he'd have been attacked for that. The critics are going to bitch no matter what. Because to them, it's just a matter of pulling the right levers, and, viola, victory! That's not how the real world works.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 08:09:34 am »
If he'd left Greinke in, and Greinke gave up the lead, or called in Cole, and Cole gave up the lead, he'd have been attacked for that. The critics are going to bitch no matter what. Because to them, it's just a matter of pulling the right levers, and, viola, victory! That's not how the real world works.

I posted this in the GZ aftermath, but it works here also.

Hinch’s Harris decision, imo: he trusted Harris in that situation more than Greinke. Longer history with him, Harris had an excellent season and postseason, had Ked Kendrick in key situation in DC. As Arky said, whatever Hinch did in the 7th would have been condemned by the media and the uneducated if it did not result in a victory.

I guess I’ll get over my disappointment and disbelief about G7 in time, but I am not close to there yet.

SoonerJim

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2019, 10:01:43 am »
I’m older, so 1986 is still my saddest moment following Houston since 1968. I can now begin the process of reconciliation

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2019, 10:10:59 am »
I’m older, so 1986 is still my saddest moment following Houston since 1968. I can now begin the process of reconciliation

1980 was terrible also. I MAY be over them.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2019, 10:54:47 am »
1980 was terrible also. I MAY be over them.

Until 2017 I was convinced this franchise was established simply to break my heart every few years.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2019, 11:06:43 am »
Until 2017 I was convinced this franchise was established simply to break my heart every few years.
Hank Williams, you wrote my life.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2019, 11:19:42 am »

I naively thought those days were over, and certainly it would not happen this year. This team was too complete and too good. Much like 1986, I know. The BBGs did not appear to want that team to win either. To lose four games at home with our dual aces pitching three of them and Greinke pitching the fourth is unfathomable...to me at least.

SoonerJim

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2019, 11:45:47 am »
We played genuinely bad human beings in 1986

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2019, 12:33:17 pm »
So far first waking thought each morning has centered on the 7th inning.

I'm guessing it'll be that way for a while.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2019, 12:37:08 pm »
We played genuinely bad human beings in 1986

I have no idea what this means. We played really good players who were on a roll this time. Cannot explain the difference between the two teams’ performances at home and on the road.

SoonerJim

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2019, 12:50:33 pm »
I have no idea what this means. We played really good players who were on a roll this time. Cannot explain the difference between the two teams’ performances at home and on the road.

I’m referring to off the field, Dykstra, Hernandez, and Strawberry.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2019, 01:00:17 pm »
And another thing:

Correa's RBI hit deflects off Rendon's glove,  his the short wall instead of going into the corner, keeping Carlos at 1st and Alvarez at 3rd.

Not the craziest of outcomes for that particular ball (may have hit that wall without the deflection), and Alvarez may not get around from 1st to home.   But it would have been nice to see it rattle around down there.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2019, 01:11:49 pm »
1998 hurt also. Not like this, though.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2019, 04:21:54 pm »

Particularly since it was not a trend during the regular season that was repeated post-season.