Author Topic: Game 7  (Read 9889 times)

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
Game 7
« on: October 30, 2019, 08:20:47 am »
Well, it comes down to one game.  If the players need any additional motivation, other than it's Game FUCKING Seven of the World Series, they need to re-evaluate their career choice.  As several people have pointed out, *this* is the reason they went out and got Zach Greinke.  *THIS* is the reason you want to win your division, have home field advantage.  Regardless of tonight's outcome, I'm proud of this team and proud to be an Astros fan.  However, this is the best team the Astros have ever had, and if they don't finish it, I will be disappointed in the outcome.  Getting to the Nats pen will be key, I think.  They can certainly do it.  They just have to go out and do it. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

TerryPuhl21

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
Re: Game 7
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 08:31:09 am »
Well, it comes down to one game.  If the players need any additional motivation, other than it's Game FUCKING Seven of the World Series, they need to re-evaluate their career choice.  As several people have pointed out, *this* is the reason they went out and got Zach Greinke.  *THIS* is the reason you want to win your division, have home field advantage.  Regardless of tonight's outcome, I'm proud of this team and proud to be an Astros fan.  However, this is the best team the Astros have ever had, and if they don't finish it, I will be disappointed in the outcome.  Getting to the Nats pen will be key, I think.  They can certainly do it.  They just have to go out and do it.
Well said HH. Greinke is about to pitch in the biggest game of his life. It may well be the game that defines his tenure in an Astros uniform. This team needs to go out and hit the baseball tonight and put up some crooked numbers. In Washington, it seemed like they were in attack mode at the plate from the first at bat to the last. Last night, it seemed like the first inning was the only time they went up there hacking early in the count, except for Altuve. I could be wrong in that assessment, but that is how it seemed to me. Need to get to Scherzer early and knock his ass out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Astros Fan in Big D

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 08:41:05 am »
Agree with all those sentiments,  HH.

I feel fortunate to have followed this squad so closely this season. 

A loss would be sorely disappointing.

So let's win this fucker.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 08:47:44 am »
Well said HH. Greinke is about to pitch in the biggest game of his life. It may well be the game that defines his tenure in an Astros uniform. This team needs to go out and hit the baseball tonight and put up some crooked numbers. In Washington, it seemed like they were in attack mode at the plate from the first at bat to the last. Last night, it seemed like the first inning was the only time they went up there hacking early in the count, except for Altuve. I could be wrong in that assessment, but that is how it seemed to me. Need to get to Scherzer early and knock his ass out.

I think swinging early was the plan against Strasburg.  He has so many weapons, that if you get a pitch to handle early, you take a whack at it.  Funny you mention Altuve, because his at bat in the 5th was the key at bat in the game.  He flailed miserably at non-hittable pitches and allowed Strasburg to wiggle out of a potentially game-changing situation.  He is what he is, and he's had a great Postseason and some memorable successes.  But that at bat defines the frustrating part of his game. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

TeeJoe

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 09:08:54 am »
Tonight's game is a kinda a big deal. If they need me I'm ready to play. Waiting for my phone to ring.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 09:34:37 am »
Well a buddy and I are heading south.

We'll be in section 325 105.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 09:52:08 am by Astros Fan in Big D »

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 09:51:29 am »
If the bats do not show up, we will be swept in Houston. I am talking to you, Altuve. Stop swinging at every damn pitch.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 10:11:42 am »
If the bats do not show up, we will be swept in Houston. I am talking to you, Altuve. Stop swinging at every damn pitch.
I hate being critical of the guy but his AB in the bottom of the 5th with Reddick on third and Springer on second with one out.... 3 pitch strike out... made me want to kick something.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 10:19:25 am »
I hate being critical of the guy but his AB in the bottom of the 5th with Reddick on third and Springer on second with one out.... 3 pitch strike out... made me want to kick something.

Big moment in the game. You should be critical. His AB was awful. The infield was back conceding the tying run. Anything but a pop up or K, and we are tied 3-3. At 0-2, I told my buddy “He is toast.” Then he chased a ball in the dirt as Strasburg knew he would,
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 10:22:58 am by JimR »

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 10:20:25 am »
Big moment in the game. You should be critical. His AB was awful.

He went full Everett.
Goin' for a bus ride.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2019, 10:22:36 am »
He went full Everett.

Yep. Exactly. Pathetic. His failures are as big and crucial as his successes.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 10:28:39 am by JimR »

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2019, 11:23:29 am »
Well, it comes down to one game.  If the players need any additional motivation, other than it's Game FUCKING Seven of the World Series, they need to re-evaluate their career choice.

Of all the things I'm concerned about for tonight, the players' motivation doesn't even make the list.

das

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2019, 11:32:16 am »
Of all the things I'm concerned about for tonight, the players' motivation doesn't even make the list.

Agree.  I am fairly certain that Cole will run in and rip the ball from Hinch's hand if Greinke shows any sign of weakness as the game progresses.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2019, 12:15:12 pm »

Well said. I would add please keep Trea Turner off the base paths.

I’ll be there again tonight.

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2019, 12:16:52 pm »
Agree.  I am fairly certain that Cole will run in and rip the ball from Hinch's hand if Greinke shows any sign of weakness as the game progresses.

Hinch’s plan A has to be Greinke - Cole - Harris - Osuna, right?

Snuffy

• Prime Time Player
  • Watch him "motate" down the line!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2019, 12:21:21 pm »

No Urquidy?
Nothing worthwhile comes without pain, ask any Astros fan.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2019, 12:33:12 pm »
No Urquidy?

If he’s needed, the car is in the ditch.  If you can’t get 8 out of Greinke and Cole, then whoever comes in next is probably moot. 
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2019, 12:41:26 pm »
I think Urquidy is next if Greinke cannot get 9 or 12 outs with a lead or a close game. I don’t think Cole will come in early, but I likely am wrong.

We need good pitching, sure, but the offense must score more runs than 2 or 3.

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2019, 12:42:57 pm »

My plan A if I were Hinch would be Greinke for 5 then Smith(6th), Cole(7/8), Osuna(9th) and Harris ready to come into the game at any point that he's needed to get out of a jam

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Texifornia

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2019, 12:44:28 pm »
If he’s needed, the car is in the ditch.  If you can’t get 8 out of Greinke and Cole, then whoever comes in next is probably moot.
Maybe, but Urquidy has had better stuff than any other starter. Hinch did not stretch him out too far on Saturday so he probably has some gas left in the tank. I can't imagine Cole would be good for much more than an inning on just two days rest.
He breezed him, one more time!

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2019, 12:44:59 pm »
I think Urquidy is next if Greinke cannot get 9 or 12 outs with a lead or a close game. I don’t think Cole will come in early, but I likely am wrong.

We need good pitching, sure, but the offense must score more runs than 2 or 3.
Much of the game will hinge on how right Scherzer is, if he is Max Scherzer then the pitchers might have to make 2 or 3 runs hold up, if he's not then there will be chances to score and they need to capitalize

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2019, 12:45:20 pm »
Altuve owes me $30 for the new keyboard I bought this morning.
You may ask yourself, "How do I work this?"

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2019, 12:49:01 pm »
Altuve owes me $30 for the new keyboard I bought this morning.
He owes me at least 3 RBIs.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2019, 12:49:57 pm »
Much of the game will hinge on how right Scherzer is, if he is Max Scherzer then the pitchers might have to make 2 or 3 runs hold up, if he's not then there will be chances to score and they need to capitalize

We scored 4 in his Game 1 and got him out after 5. We need at least that.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2019, 12:50:34 pm »
Cole has never pitched in relief. I will be surprised if he pitches at all, and if he does, I can't imagine it will be to anyone other than Rendon and Soto. And I'm pretty comfortable having Smith face those two guys, to be honest.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2019, 01:03:35 pm »
Well said. I would add please keep Trea Turner off the base paths.
Yeah, him and that dude after him.  Having empty bases for the confident Rendon and Soto is so important.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2019, 01:03:58 pm »

I figure if Greinke and Cole combine for that many innings then either Greinke is cruising with a comfortable lead or Cole had to come in very early and they're already in deep shit.

There's too many ways this could go.  For one, this isn't 2017 where you necessarily have to duct tape some relief work together to get to a Charlie Morton.  For another thing, Cole has never pitched 1) in relief OR 2) on short rest, so that's a pretty big unknown quantity.

So if Greinke hands you a lead or a tie after five innings then I'd maybe look for 1-2 innings max out of Cole just to bridge the gap to Smith/Harris/Pressly/Osuna for the final 6-9 outs.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2019, 01:08:19 pm »
He owes me at least 3 RBIs.
Oh yeah, interesting trades definitely accepted.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2019, 01:37:05 pm »
Cole has never pitched in relief. I will be surprised if he pitches at all, and if he does, I can't imagine it will be to anyone other than Rendon and Soto. And I'm pretty comfortable having Smith face those two guys, to be honest.

I think he would pitch only starting an inning, not coming in with men on base. He is completely unaccustomed to that role.

BlownRanger

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2019, 02:13:01 pm »
In my layman's opinion:  Urquidy is almost certain to be the second pitcher Hinch uses tonight (unless he brings in a true reliever to finish an inning).
"He hit that one right up the poop chute, Bill" - Enos Cabell

SoonerJim

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2019, 02:23:32 pm »
In my layman's opinion:  Urquidy is almost certain to be the second pitcher Hinch uses tonight (unless he brings in a true reliever to finish an inning).

My thought as well, Urquidy’s  has been the best ws start we’ve had. Washington effectively conceded a win to Cole, knowing Verlander’s postseason record provided huge upside in game six. Now their co-ace and #3 starters are rested and available

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2019, 02:28:37 pm »

Urquidy will also start clean and be viewed as a multiple inning guy. If Greinke is in trouble and needs an out, then he'll use someone else depending on matchups. And then depending on where they are in the order maybe Hinch brings in someone to do 7-8-9, or maybe 3-4-5, and then sets Urquidy on a path to get the most outs based on matchup as possible.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2019, 02:59:06 pm »
Chili prep has begun

dickntx

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2019, 03:01:37 pm »
Grienke has never had 3 straight games of 5 innings left in his entire career...lets hope he give us at least 5 good ones tonight.  Of course the World Series has never had a team win 4 road games (even counting back when it was best of 9) so lets hope that trend also continues.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2019, 03:21:55 pm »
Chili prep has begun

Had it for lunch. See Facebook.

BUWebguy

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2019, 03:55:47 pm »
Hinch on Cole: “It would be in a limited capacity if I ask him to do anything."

https://twitter.com/jakemkaplan/status/1189642537725657088
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2019, 04:08:11 pm »
...if I ask him to do anything."

If he demands to do something, that's different.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."

Lefty

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2019, 04:44:01 pm »
Chili will be served at 6:30.  Picking up fritos when I make my beer run.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
Game 7
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2019, 05:08:52 pm »
They’re wearing the orange jerseys tonight, according to McTaggart on Twitter.

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2019, 05:58:55 pm »
They’re wearing the orange jerseys tonight, according to McTaggart on Twitter.

This is a good thing.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

Texifornia

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2019, 06:20:37 pm »
My system can only accommodate Frito pie on rare occasions. I have had to moderate my intake and reserve this powerful sacrament for elimination games.

I've just had Frito pie with "Flamin' Hot" Fritos for extra offense.

It's times like these when one has to sacrifice gastro-intestinal comfort for the good of the team.

Go ASTROS!!
He breezed him, one more time!

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2019, 07:00:57 pm »
If Cabrera beat me to this my apologies. I don’t have time with the game almost upon us to check. If not, I’m calling it now. I think we’re going to hear rumors leaked out after the series is over that the injury to Scherzer’s neck was bullshit. If they win it will have been a genius move by them. We shall see.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2019, 07:07:12 pm »
If true, I’m having trouble understanding the strategic benefit of this. Just to get inside the Astros’ heads prior to game 6?

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2019, 07:07:20 pm »
If Cabrera beat me to this my apologies. I don’t have time with the game almost upon us to check. If not, I’m calling it now. I think we’re going to hear rumors leaked out after the series is over that the injury to Scherzer’s neck was bullshit. If they win it will have been a genius move by them. We shall see.

I think MLB would be all over them for that, if for no other reason than Vegas would be all over MLB for it.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2019, 08:41:41 am »

No. That would be an insane move.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2019, 09:11:09 am »
If true, I’m having trouble understanding the strategic benefit of this. Just to get inside the Astros’ heads prior to game 6?

There is no logic whatsoever in sandbagging Game 5 at home, in hopes that you can win another two on the road.  None whatsoever.  Whomever floated that idea is an idiot.

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2019, 09:22:40 am »

There is no logic whatsoever in sandbagging Game 5 at home, in hopes that you can win another two on the road.  None whatsoever.  Whomever floated that idea is an idiot.

Thanks for calling me an idiot.  Not the first time and won't be the last.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2019, 09:46:46 am »

If that was your idea, I am shocked. You are smarter than that.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2019, 09:54:34 am »

I thought you were just repeating bullshit you'd heard.  But if you really thought that, then yeah, that's not one of your smarter conclusions.

If I had a nickel for every time someone thought I was an idiot, I'd have more than one nickel.

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2019, 10:13:42 am »
I thought you were just repeating bullshit you'd heard.  But if you really thought that, then yeah, that's not one of your smarter conclusions.

If I had a nickel for every time someone thought I was an idiot, I'd have more than one nickel.

It's cool...Just panic setting in and me worrying about the news when it happened (the news of Scherzer getting bumped to game 7) and the fact that the dude went from can't get out of bed or dressed on my own to I'm ready to take on the world per reports on Tuesday prior to game 6.  My brain started racing, "maybe they felt like they couldn't beat Cole no matter who they put out there"....etc., etc.  There is more but typing such would only be a further indictment on myself so I'll take the 5th!

Anyhow, panic can lead to quick conclusions that have no merit or legitimacy.  I think that's what happened here.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2019, 10:15:30 am »
It's cool...Just panic setting in and me worrying about the news when it happened (the news of Scherzer getting bumped to game 7) and the fact that the dude went from can't get out of bed or dressed on my own to I'm ready to take on the world per reports on Tuesday prior to game 6.  My brain started racing, "maybe they felt like they couldn't beat Cole no matter who they put out there"....etc., etc.  There is more but typing such would only be a further indictment on myself so I'll take the 5th!

Anyhow, panic can lead to quick conclusions that have no merit or legitimacy.  I think that's what happened here.

As for Scherzer's "recovery"...there are all sorts of drugs that'll make you feel like a million bucks for a day or two.  A shot or two, and you can worry about you neck next week.

SoonerJim

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2019, 10:20:51 am »
In the heat of a series-ending loss moment, I wouldn't expect a player of Cole's caliber to quite be himself. He has a record season and watches helplessly on the sideline as a tenuous lead slips away. I'm not certain if the two personas at issue for him, loyal grateful Astro, or mercenary employee out the door, are mutually incompatible. He didn't leave RISP this series, If he goes to LAA, then that's what he does. There's an opportunity cost to that, to which Mike Trout can attest. That team isn't winning 100+ games next year.

Gizzmonic

• Space City Carbohydrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2019, 11:45:41 am »
As for Scherzer's "recovery"...there are all sorts of drugs that'll make you feel like a million bucks for a day or two.  A shot or two, and you can worry about you neck next week.

Cortisone shots basically shut off your immune system, which eliminates all the swelling/inflammation. I got one when I had a severe cold last year. I was up 24 hours straight and felt like a god.

The catch is...it shuts off your immune system. What could possibly go wrong?
Grab another Coke and let's die

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2019, 11:47:58 am »
Cortisone shots basically shut off your immune system, which eliminates all the swelling/inflammation. I got one when I had a severe cold last year. I was up 24 hours straight and felt like a god.

he misses a parade?
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2019, 02:16:20 pm »

His eyes could turn different colors.  Eh?  Oh.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.