Author Topic: Game 7  (Read 1320 times)

Texifornia

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
Re: Game 7
« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2019, 06:20:37 pm »
My system can only accommodate Frito pie on rare occasions. I have had to moderate my intake and reserve this powerful sacrament for elimination games.

I've just had Frito pie with "Flamin' Hot" Fritos for extra offense.

It's times like these when one has to sacrifice gastro-intestinal comfort for the good of the team.

Go ASTROS!!
He breezed him, one more time!

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2019, 07:00:57 pm »
If Cabrera beat me to this my apologies. I don’t have time with the game almost upon us to check. If not, I’m calling it now. I think we’re going to hear rumors leaked out after the series is over that the injury to Scherzer’s neck was bullshit. If they win it will have been a genius move by them. We shall see.

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2019, 07:07:12 pm »
If true, I’m having trouble understanding the strategic benefit of this. Just to get inside the Astros’ heads prior to game 6?

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2019, 07:07:20 pm »
If Cabrera beat me to this my apologies. I don’t have time with the game almost upon us to check. If not, I’m calling it now. I think we’re going to hear rumors leaked out after the series is over that the injury to Scherzer’s neck was bullshit. If they win it will have been a genius move by them. We shall see.

I think MLB would be all over them for that, if for no other reason than Vegas would be all over MLB for it.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2019, 08:41:41 am »

No. That would be an insane move.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2019, 09:11:09 am »
If true, I’m having trouble understanding the strategic benefit of this. Just to get inside the Astros’ heads prior to game 6?

There is no logic whatsoever in sandbagging Game 5 at home, in hopes that you can win another two on the road.  None whatsoever.  Whomever floated that idea is an idiot.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2019, 09:22:40 am »

There is no logic whatsoever in sandbagging Game 5 at home, in hopes that you can win another two on the road.  None whatsoever.  Whomever floated that idea is an idiot.

Thanks for calling me an idiot.  Not the first time and won't be the last.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2019, 09:46:46 am »

If that was your idea, I am shocked. You are smarter than that.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2019, 09:54:34 am »

I thought you were just repeating bullshit you'd heard.  But if you really thought that, then yeah, that's not one of your smarter conclusions.

If I had a nickel for every time someone thought I was an idiot, I'd have more than one nickel.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2019, 10:13:42 am »
I thought you were just repeating bullshit you'd heard.  But if you really thought that, then yeah, that's not one of your smarter conclusions.

If I had a nickel for every time someone thought I was an idiot, I'd have more than one nickel.

It's cool...Just panic setting in and me worrying about the news when it happened (the news of Scherzer getting bumped to game 7) and the fact that the dude went from can't get out of bed or dressed on my own to I'm ready to take on the world per reports on Tuesday prior to game 6.  My brain started racing, "maybe they felt like they couldn't beat Cole no matter who they put out there"....etc., etc.  There is more but typing such would only be a further indictment on myself so I'll take the 5th!

Anyhow, panic can lead to quick conclusions that have no merit or legitimacy.  I think that's what happened here.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2019, 10:15:30 am »
It's cool...Just panic setting in and me worrying about the news when it happened (the news of Scherzer getting bumped to game 7) and the fact that the dude went from can't get out of bed or dressed on my own to I'm ready to take on the world per reports on Tuesday prior to game 6.  My brain started racing, "maybe they felt like they couldn't beat Cole no matter who they put out there"....etc., etc.  There is more but typing such would only be a further indictment on myself so I'll take the 5th!

Anyhow, panic can lead to quick conclusions that have no merit or legitimacy.  I think that's what happened here.

As for Scherzer's "recovery"...there are all sorts of drugs that'll make you feel like a million bucks for a day or two.  A shot or two, and you can worry about you neck next week.

SoonerJim

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2019, 10:20:51 am »
In the heat of a series-ending loss moment, I wouldn't expect a player of Cole's caliber to quite be himself. He has a record season and watches helplessly on the sideline as a tenuous lead slips away. I'm not certain if the two personas at issue for him, loyal grateful Astro, or mercenary employee out the door, are mutually incompatible. He didn't leave RISP this series, If he goes to LAA, then that's what he does. There's an opportunity cost to that, to which Mike Trout can attest. That team isn't winning 100+ games next year.

Gizzmonic

• Space City Carbohydrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2019, 11:45:41 am »
As for Scherzer's "recovery"...there are all sorts of drugs that'll make you feel like a million bucks for a day or two.  A shot or two, and you can worry about you neck next week.

Cortisone shots basically shut off your immune system, which eliminates all the swelling/inflammation. I got one when I had a severe cold last year. I was up 24 hours straight and felt like a god.

The catch is...it shuts off your immune system. What could possibly go wrong?
Grab another Coke and let's die

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2019, 11:47:58 am »
Cortisone shots basically shut off your immune system, which eliminates all the swelling/inflammation. I got one when I had a severe cold last year. I was up 24 hours straight and felt like a god.

he misses a parade?
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2019, 02:16:20 pm »

His eyes could turn different colors.  Eh?  Oh.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.