Author Topic: Game 7  (Read 1319 times)

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
Game 7
« on: October 30, 2019, 08:20:47 am »
Well, it comes down to one game.  If the players need any additional motivation, other than it's Game FUCKING Seven of the World Series, they need to re-evaluate their career choice.  As several people have pointed out, *this* is the reason they went out and got Zach Greinke.  *THIS* is the reason you want to win your division, have home field advantage.  Regardless of tonight's outcome, I'm proud of this team and proud to be an Astros fan.  However, this is the best team the Astros have ever had, and if they don't finish it, I will be disappointed in the outcome.  Getting to the Nats pen will be key, I think.  They can certainly do it.  They just have to go out and do it. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

TerryPuhl21

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
Re: Game 7
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 08:31:09 am »
Well, it comes down to one game.  If the players need any additional motivation, other than it's Game FUCKING Seven of the World Series, they need to re-evaluate their career choice.  As several people have pointed out, *this* is the reason they went out and got Zach Greinke.  *THIS* is the reason you want to win your division, have home field advantage.  Regardless of tonight's outcome, I'm proud of this team and proud to be an Astros fan.  However, this is the best team the Astros have ever had, and if they don't finish it, I will be disappointed in the outcome.  Getting to the Nats pen will be key, I think.  They can certainly do it.  They just have to go out and do it.
Well said HH. Greinke is about to pitch in the biggest game of his life. It may well be the game that defines his tenure in an Astros uniform. This team needs to go out and hit the baseball tonight and put up some crooked numbers. In Washington, it seemed like they were in attack mode at the plate from the first at bat to the last. Last night, it seemed like the first inning was the only time they went up there hacking early in the count, except for Altuve. I could be wrong in that assessment, but that is how it seemed to me. Need to get to Scherzer early and knock his ass out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Astros Fan in Big D

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 08:41:05 am »
Agree with all those sentiments,  HH.

I feel fortunate to have followed this squad so closely this season. 

A loss would be sorely disappointing.

So let's win this fucker.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 08:47:44 am »
Well said HH. Greinke is about to pitch in the biggest game of his life. It may well be the game that defines his tenure in an Astros uniform. This team needs to go out and hit the baseball tonight and put up some crooked numbers. In Washington, it seemed like they were in attack mode at the plate from the first at bat to the last. Last night, it seemed like the first inning was the only time they went up there hacking early in the count, except for Altuve. I could be wrong in that assessment, but that is how it seemed to me. Need to get to Scherzer early and knock his ass out.

I think swinging early was the plan against Strasburg.  He has so many weapons, that if you get a pitch to handle early, you take a whack at it.  Funny you mention Altuve, because his at bat in the 5th was the key at bat in the game.  He flailed miserably at non-hittable pitches and allowed Strasburg to wiggle out of a potentially game-changing situation.  He is what he is, and he's had a great Postseason and some memorable successes.  But that at bat defines the frustrating part of his game. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

TeeJoe

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 09:08:54 am »
Tonight's game is a kinda a big deal. If they need me I'm ready to play. Waiting for my phone to ring.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 09:34:37 am »
Well a buddy and I are heading south.

We'll be in section 325 105.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 09:52:08 am by Astros Fan in Big D »

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 09:51:29 am »
If the bats do not show up, we will be swept in Houston. I am talking to you, Altuve. Stop swinging at every damn pitch.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 10:11:42 am »
If the bats do not show up, we will be swept in Houston. I am talking to you, Altuve. Stop swinging at every damn pitch.
I hate being critical of the guy but his AB in the bottom of the 5th with Reddick on third and Springer on second with one out.... 3 pitch strike out... made me want to kick something.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 10:19:25 am »
I hate being critical of the guy but his AB in the bottom of the 5th with Reddick on third and Springer on second with one out.... 3 pitch strike out... made me want to kick something.

Big moment in the game. You should be critical. His AB was awful. The infield was back conceding the tying run. Anything but a pop up or K, and we are tied 3-3. At 0-2, I told my buddy “He is toast.” Then he chased a ball in the dirt as Strasburg knew he would,
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 10:22:58 am by JimR »

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 10:20:25 am »
Big moment in the game. You should be critical. His AB was awful.

He went full Everett.
Goin' for a bus ride.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2019, 10:22:36 am »
He went full Everett.

Yep. Exactly. Pathetic. His failures are as big and crucial as his successes.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 10:28:39 am by JimR »

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2019, 11:23:29 am »
Well, it comes down to one game.  If the players need any additional motivation, other than it's Game FUCKING Seven of the World Series, they need to re-evaluate their career choice.

Of all the things I'm concerned about for tonight, the players' motivation doesn't even make the list.

das

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2019, 11:32:16 am »
Of all the things I'm concerned about for tonight, the players' motivation doesn't even make the list.

Agree.  I am fairly certain that Cole will run in and rip the ball from Hinch's hand if Greinke shows any sign of weakness as the game progresses.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2019, 12:15:12 pm »

Well said. I would add please keep Trea Turner off the base paths.

I’ll be there again tonight.

hostros7

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2019, 12:16:52 pm »
Agree.  I am fairly certain that Cole will run in and rip the ball from Hinch's hand if Greinke shows any sign of weakness as the game progresses.

Hinch’s plan A has to be Greinke - Cole - Harris - Osuna, right?

Snuffy

• Prime Time Player
  • Watch him "motate" down the line!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2019, 12:21:21 pm »

No Urquidy?
Nothing worthwhile comes without pain, ask any Astros fan.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2019, 12:33:12 pm »
No Urquidy?

If he’s needed, the car is in the ditch.  If you can’t get 8 out of Greinke and Cole, then whoever comes in next is probably moot. 
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2019, 12:41:26 pm »
I think Urquidy is next if Greinke cannot get 9 or 12 outs with a lead or a close game. I don’t think Cole will come in early, but I likely am wrong.

We need good pitching, sure, but the offense must score more runs than 2 or 3.

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2019, 12:42:57 pm »

My plan A if I were Hinch would be Greinke for 5 then Smith(6th), Cole(7/8), Osuna(9th) and Harris ready to come into the game at any point that he's needed to get out of a jam

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Texifornia

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2019, 12:44:28 pm »
If he’s needed, the car is in the ditch.  If you can’t get 8 out of Greinke and Cole, then whoever comes in next is probably moot.
Maybe, but Urquidy has had better stuff than any other starter. Hinch did not stretch him out too far on Saturday so he probably has some gas left in the tank. I can't imagine Cole would be good for much more than an inning on just two days rest.
He breezed him, one more time!