Author Topic: Cole and Game 5  (Read 2655 times)

Navin R Johnson

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: Cole and Game 5
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2019, 09:10:00 am »
I find Cole's alleged actions embarrassing for him. I thought he was better than this.

What's been alleged about his actions?  After his team loses game 7 of the world series, he wears a Boras hat and refers to his team as his former employer?  There is nothing "alleged" there, it happened and it was fucking garbage.   If he is mad at Hinch or mad at the front office for some reason, he had the entire offseason to air that.  Terrible look for Cole. 
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

TeeJoe

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2019, 09:21:07 am »
Quotes from a Footer article...

https://www.mlb.com/news/gerrit-cole-doesn-t-pitch-in-game-7-of-world-series

Did Cole expect to get into the game?

"If we were winning, yes," Cole said. "We just went over the game plan. [Hinch] laid out the most advantageous times to use me. We didn't get the [opportunity]."

Hinch backed up Cole's account, confirming he wasn't going to pitch his co-ace unless Houston had the lead.

"He was going to help us win," Hinch said. "He was available, and I felt it was a game that he was going to come in had we tied it or taken the lead. He was going to close the game in the ninth after I brought Osuna in had we kept the lead."

Hinch
"I'm not sure I've had the time to really think about it other than Gerrit is one of my favorite players I've ever been around," Hinch said, adding that the two had "an incredible conversation" about what the righty was willing to do to win the World Series.

"And that means a lot to me, and it means a lot to this team," Hinch said. "And he's meant a lot to this franchise."

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2019, 09:53:55 am »
What's been alleged about his actions?  After his team loses game 7 of the world series, he wears a Boras hat and refers to his team as his former employer?  There is nothing "alleged" there, it happened and it was fucking garbage.   If he is mad at Hinch or mad at the front office for some reason, he had the entire offseason to air that.  Terrible look for Cole.

Cole owes a lot to Houston. The organization helped him to become great.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2019, 09:56:32 am »
Cole owes a lot to Houston. The organization helped him to become great.

100% and he has been a model player/teammate up until the post-game last night.  Totally out of character for how he has been his entire existence as an Astro.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

D.WARD

• Disappointing Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2019, 10:01:20 am »
To abandon your teammates like that after losing a hard fought World Series in 7 games is horrible.  I honestly won't mind seeing him leave after that.  He fits in perfectly with a team like the Dodgers.  There is still plenty of good pitching to get the job done and make another run.  I think Greinke proved his worth to the team last night.  He stepped up in a big way.  He pitched well and kept them in the game for game 3 as well. 

I wish Hinch would have stuck with Greinke for one more batter as I thought he had earned the opportunity but I can certainly understand Hinch's decision to go with a fresh arm and someone who had proved himself all year long.  You get out of that inning and you probably have Cole for the 8th and 9th.  It just didn't work out though. 

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2019, 10:10:49 am »
I can't make a distinction betwen asshat and boras hat. Cole choosing to wear that fucking hat
 immediately after the game was classless, and completely out of keeping with the rest of his career as an Astro. Makes it easier to say goodbye, which may be the point.
Where the fuck is Toro?

The Spleen

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2019, 10:10:57 am »
That was absolutely bizarre. Cole looked like he was in a hostage video.
When the Clark is dead, Spack will eat his spleen. Before he dies, Spack will put his posts under the knife so the Clark will see his threads wiped out forever...

Dobro

• Prime Time Player
  • Triple Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2019, 11:06:01 am »
That was absolutely bizarre. Cole looked like he was in a hostage video.

There's some smart people on this board; I'm surprised few see the obvious.  The post-game actions and comments by Cole seemed out of character because they were/are.  What you witnessed last night was the spirit of Scott Boras in Cole's body.  Cole was carefully coached by Boras -- the comments, hat, etc. -- all part of the act.  It was a message to the marketplace that Team Cole isn't fucking around. 
Lighten up, Francis.

Astros Fan in Big D

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2019, 01:48:39 pm »
There's some smart people on this board; I'm surprised few see the obvious.  The post-game actions and comments by Cole seemed out of character because they were/are.  What you witnessed last night was the spirit of Scott Boras in Cole's body.  Cole was carefully coached by Boras -- the comments, hat, etc. -- all part of the act.  It was a message to the marketplace that Team Cole isn't fucking around.

You may be right, but I previously thought better of Cole than that.

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2019, 01:53:29 pm »

This is spot on. Borass strikes again. Fools like Arte Moreno will overpay for Cole. He'll get what he wants.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2019, 02:22:43 pm »
Here's the Chronicle's clubhouse story:

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/texas-sports-nation/astros/article/Astros-insider-Scenes-of-heartbreak-and-Cole-14610152.php

The Cole quotes:

But Cole held his glare. He was not kidding.
“I mean, I'm not employed,” Cole said. “I’m not employed.”
“We would like for you to do it, but it’s your call,” Dias said.
Cole grudgingly obliged and said: “All right, as an affiliate of myself.”

“A lot of good friendships,” he said. “Learned a lot about pitching from my teammates, from my pitching coaches and staff, learned a lot more about the game from A.J., and it was just a pleasure to play in the city of Houston.”

“The group is so unique,” Cole said. “I'm gonna have some friends from this clubhouse for the rest of my life. You just don’t take situations like that for granted.”
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

AstroAndy

• Clark
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 31, 2019, 02:50:46 pm »
I read Cole's statements differently from some of you, I guess.  As the media made clear a couple of months back when Verlander had the Astros bar a reporter from his presser, players are employees of MLB teams and MLB teams have a contract with the media obligating them to make players available at certain times and for a minimum amount of time after games.  Cole was no doubt aware of this. 

My take is that Cole didn't want to talk to the media (I don't blame him, given the situation and the, uh, contentious relationship between the Astros and the media recently) and reached for a readily-available excuse that would give him an easy out:  "I'm not employed by the team anymore."  And when Gene Dias gave him the choice, he nutted up "as an affiliate of myself" and talked to the press pool because it is so obviously a bad look to do otherwise. 

I don't know Cole any better than the rest of you, but he's been a good guy and a solid teammate, and I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt on this one.  That said, I don't know how long you can keep this team's championship window open while taking on the kind of contract Cole will be seeking.  I hope the guy gets all the money he wants from someone else and forever regrets the fact that he left the best group of guys he ever had a chance to play with.

TeeJoe

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2019, 03:06:05 pm »

My take is that Cole didn't want to talk to the media (I don't blame him, given the situation and the, uh, contentious relationship between the Astros and the media recently) and reached for a readily-available excuse that would give him an easy out:  "I'm not employed by the team anymore."  And when Gene Dias gave him the choice, he nutted up "as an affiliate of myself" and talked to the press pool because it is so obviously a bad look to do otherwise. 
Much of that bad look was to intentionally walk around the team locker room with not a Astros team hat that he was just minutes from being a part of to quickly going with the team Boris lid.

SoonerJim

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2019, 03:19:47 pm »
Stephen A Smith and Max Kellerman got into it today, revolving on Cole’s availability in the 7th inning

https://youtu.be/Of71vyD75rQ

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2019, 03:22:05 pm »
This is as generous as I can be:

Last night he behaved like an ass. He didn't seem like one the rest of his time here; quite the opposite.   But last night postgame, ass.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2019, 03:23:36 pm »
Stephen A Smith and Max Kellerman got into it today, revolving on Cole’s availability in the 7th inning

A Stephen A Smith and Max Kellerman link?  About the only thing I'd be less tempted to click on is if you had linked to Clay Travis.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 31, 2019, 03:25:00 pm »

No fucking way I'm clicking that link.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 31, 2019, 03:49:18 pm »

Horseshit.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 31, 2019, 05:14:47 pm »

Great balls o' fire them shiftless skunks are too bodacious for me to click on 'em. Oh wait, you're not Snuffy.... Those fellers are as narrow minded as the view from the back of a Conestoga wagon headin' north on a cold day. I ain't clicking.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 05:21:04 pm by Col. Sphinx Drummond »
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit