Author Topic: Cole and Game 5  (Read 2652 times)

Navin R Johnson

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: Cole and Game 5
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2019, 07:25:16 am »
Just bizarre. This seems so opposite of how Cole acted the entire time he was with the Astros.  Either it was an act or the front office passed him off in some way. 
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2019, 07:41:10 am »
Just bizarre. This seems so opposite of how Cole acted the entire time he was with the Astros.  Either it was an act or the front office passed him off in some way.

He's absolutely livid that Hinch didn't use him in the 7th.  It's the manager, not the front office, that has him pissed off.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
Cole and Game 5
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2019, 07:59:30 am »
He still showed up to the stadium with that hat and presumably planned on wearing it. Maybe his comments would’ve been different had they won, but it’s still not a good look to anyone holding out hope that he comes back.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2019, 08:06:07 am »
He still showed up to the stadium with that hat and presumably planned on wearing it. Maybe his comments would’ve been different had they won, but it’s still not a good look to anyone holding out hope that he comes back.

I'm sure had they won he'd be wearing goggles and be swimming in beer and champagne, not his Boras hat.  His attitude would have been decidedly different.  He saw last night as a career defining opportunity that was taken from him.  There is no fucking way he's going to re-sign with the Astros.
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2019, 08:21:38 am »
There is no fucking way he's going to re-sign with the Astros.

Right.  He arrived at the ballpark with his mind already made up.

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2019, 08:23:40 am »
Right.  He arrived at the ballpark with his mind already made up.
I am not sure that was Hudson’s point, but you may both be correct.
Up in the Air

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2019, 08:31:10 am »
I am not sure that was Hudson’s point, but you may both be correct.

I don't think Waldo really cares about my point.

TeeJoe

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2019, 08:36:26 am »
I'm hoping it was just disappointment from losing at the highest level for what seems out of character behavior for Cole.  Just bizarre. He just had an incredible season with one of the best Houston teams ever. Loses last game and now is no longer a teammate? While he's still in the same TEAM locker room.   

SoonerJim

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2019, 08:39:49 am »
I was listening to Sirius MLB channel driving in, and that seemed to be their biggest bone of contention. To quote one of the hosts, "they saved a healthy Cole to play in LA next season". The other host thought even if he was not spot-on, the team gets a confidence boost and you don't see the morose dugout in the 7th inning.

Hinch turned into Dave Roberts this week.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2019, 08:39:56 am »
If you didn’t see Cole’s postgame interview, it’s hard to come away from it with any positivity whatsoever that he’s going to stay in Houston. Wearing a Boras cap, asking if he had to do interviews because he’s no longer a team employee, etc. He’s gone.

Yep, I agree, and I think that attitude so soon after the loss sucked.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2019, 08:42:05 am »
I don't think Waldo really cares about my point.

I think we are in agreement re: Cole.

TeeJoe

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2019, 08:43:07 am »
Yep, I agree, and I think that attitude so soon after the loss sucked.
Yep, IMO his attitude no matter his reasoning sucked.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2019, 08:45:16 am »
I was listening to Sirius MLB channel driving in, and that seemed to be their biggest bone of contention. To quote one of the hosts, "they saved a healthy Cole to play in LA next season". The other host thought even if he was not spot-on, the team gets a confidence boost and you don't see the morose dugout in the 7th inning.

Your final sentence is bullshit. Total fucking bullshit.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2019, 08:49:26 am »
He's absolutely livid that Hinch didn't use him in the 7th.  It's the manager, not the front office, that has him pissed off.

If so, fuck him. He has never pitched in relief, and Harris was great all year. Hinch and Cole talked before the game, and Hinch told him how he would be used. Maybe someone told you this, and I hope it is not true.

Astros Fan in Big D

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2019, 08:53:44 am »
AJ made moves, and then shit happened.

That doesn't mean they were all shit moves.

TeeJoe

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2019, 08:54:28 am »
Greinke wasn't going to go much longer if Hinch left him in.  It's not like it was a 3rd or 4th inning early hook.

It's also not like Harris threw a crap pitch to Kendrick. He dotted the low outside corner that he hit for a 2 run homer.

If my mind is allowed to second guess anything is that Soto shouldn't have been on base as the 3rd strike call was missed and the ump allowed him a free base. Without that walk I think Greinke stays in the game...but then reality wipes that what if away.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2019, 08:57:51 am »
I find Cole's alleged actions embarrassing for him. I thought he was better than this.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2019, 09:00:16 am »

I don't think that's true at all, and I also don't envy the position that the hitters put Hinch in.  If Greinke still has a 2-3 run lead after Soto's walk then Hinch lets him stay out there.  I wish he'd stayed in anyway because he'd been so good up to that point, but there's no guarantee that it would've turned out any better.  Hinch had gotten burned by leaving his starters in in similar situations where there were momentum swings.  Now he got burned by taking Greinke out, on a decent pitch by Harris that Kendrick hammered the other way.

Also, I don't think there was a slam-dunk situation for using or not using Cole, other than not bringing him in with runners on.  Any bad outcome in any situation would've been ripe for second guessing.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2019, 09:03:52 am »
If so, fuck him. He has never pitched in relief, and Harris was great all year. Hinch and Cole talked before the game, and Hinch told him how he would be used. Maybe someone told you this, and I hope it is not true.

That's my own interpretation.  And I agree with you, fuck him if that's his attitude.  I could be completely misreading him, but I don't think so. 

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2019, 09:08:14 am »
Your final sentence is bullshit. Total fucking bullshit.

100%.  Assuming Cole could have come in and pitched like his did in Game 5 is huge assumption, not to mention Harris, Smith, and Osuna had been very good this season/Postseason.  They all shit the bed on the same night, which happened to be Game 7 of the World Series, but to act like Hinch somehow mismanaged this is just lunacy.