Author Topic: Astros and D.C. (well, Northern VA)  (Read 1630 times)

BUWebguy

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
Astros and D.C. (well, Northern VA)
« on: October 25, 2019, 10:00:47 pm »
I'd heard bits of this before, but never in this much detail... As unthinkable as it seems, this article leaves me wondering: Did Bud Selig actually save baseball in Houston??

Had things turned in one direction, Collins today could be the owner of the Astros, having reached what he said was an agreement to buy the team from Drayton McLane in 1995. ...

Collins said he and his partners worked with McLane for six months on a proposed sale of the Astros. The team would have played at RFK Stadium for two years while the Virginia stadium was being built. “Drayton went through RFK Stadium with us and met with my partners and we looked at the various stadium sites, and he was impressed with them,” Collins said. “But he said the key was to get approval from Major League Baseball.

"That’s when we started dealing with (commissioner) Bud Selig, and what an ordeal that was.” Collins said his group had a “signed, sealed agreement” with McLane that would have compensated him for what McLane said were three years of financial losses for the Astros. The deal for the franchise itself was reported to be for about $150 million. MLB, however, insisted that the Astros make one more run at getting a stadium built in Houston, and voters in November 1996 approved by a 51 to 49 percent margin, with about 16,000 votes separating the ayes from the nays, to approve $265 million for the downtown ballpark. “Drayton called me and said, ‘Bill, you’re not going to believe this, but it passed, and we’ve got a new stadium, so our deal is null and void.’”
"If you can't figure out that Astros doesn't have an apostrophe, you shouldn't be able to comment." - Ron Brand, June 9, 2010

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
Re: Astros and D.C. (well, Northern VA)
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 10:05:04 pm »
I'd heard bits of this before, but never in this much detail... As unthinkable as it seems, this article leaves me wondering: Did Bud Selig actually save baseball in Houston??

I wonder if it's still possible to chase the paper trail of the various entities lobbying for the "nay" side of that vote.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 08:26:55 am »
McLane and Baylor deserve each other.

Navin R Johnson

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 11:10:53 am »
I wonder if it's still possible to chase the paper trail of the various entities lobbying for the "nay" side of that vote.

Current Lt Gov Dan Patrick, who was then just a loud mouth on the radio, lead the charge to defeat the stadium.  He had a big election night party where they were cheering on the stadium vote getting turned down.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.