Author Topic: Latest Controversy  (Read 24688 times)

Navin R Johnson

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: Latest Controversy
« Reply #160 on: October 24, 2019, 03:54:50 pm »
I get the feeling the dude hung himself.  He clearly told them he did nothing.  If he’d have been honest and straight up apologized he probably gets suspended but not  fired.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

DVauthrin

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 24, 2019, 03:58:10 pm »
I wonder if the PR/Communications person that sent out the initial press release got his or her walking papers, too. 
Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 24, 2019, 04:07:52 pm »
I get the feeling the dude hung himself.  He clearly told them he did nothing.  If he’d have been honest and straight up apologized he probably gets suspended but not  fired.

No doubt.  I'm sure he was working his ass off to minimize it.

This whole thing still seems bizarre to me.  Could he have been the point man on the Osuna deal?  Taking the fallout personally and dealing with it in such an immature fashion would fit that to me.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Mike S.

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 24, 2019, 04:14:50 pm »
That's a really interesting thought.  Wouldn't be surprised in the least as it makes a hell of a lot sense the more I think about all of this.
Chevy! Chevy! Astro! Astro!

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 24, 2019, 04:32:52 pm »

This whole thing still seems bizarre to me.  Could he have been the point man on the Osuna deal?  Taking the fallout personally and dealing with it in such an immature fashion would fit that to me.

That is my guess
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #165 on: October 24, 2019, 08:21:12 pm »
Luhnow didn’t look so good at his PC.

Astros GM Jeff Luhnow was asked whether he had personally reached out to @stephapstein to apologize.
Luhnow said he’s been busy and hasn’t had the time.

Stephanie was sitting in the room.

https://twitter.com/thehazelmae/status/1187505844591697920?s=21

And: https://twitter.com/chandler_rome/status/1187510010328293377?s=21

moriartp

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 24, 2019, 10:03:23 pm »

This seems very likely to me.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 25, 2019, 08:18:55 am »
Luhnow didn’t look so good at his PC.

https://twitter.com/thehazelmae/status/1187505844591697920?s=21

And: https://twitter.com/chandler_rome/status/1187510010328293377?s=21

Taubman has paid for his indiscretion with his job and possibly his career. At this point the media should STFU and move on.

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 25, 2019, 08:33:56 am »
Taubman has paid for his indiscretion with his job and possibly his career. At this point the media should STFU and move on.

The questions captioned above were, unfortunately, spot on.  Firing Taubman addressed his part in it, but the Astros are trying to use one punishment to pay for two crimes.

I’m sure it will go away now, but this remains an open sore and the Astros are leaving it that way in the hope that people will stop picking at it. 

Also, the failure to reach out to the targets of Taubman’s rant is terrible.  Those calls should have been made the second after Taubman left Luhnow’s office having been fired. 

“Hi.  This is Jeff Luhnow.  I wanted to let you know - before it is announced to the media - that we have terminated Brandon Taubman’s employment with the Astros effective immediately.  We are so sorry for what he did and, for our part, in being too slow to take this obvious and necessary action.  Blah, blah.  Etc, etc.“
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 08:35:49 am by Limey »
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 25, 2019, 09:02:00 am »

My understanding is that he was central to putting together the Osuna deal and that was one of the achievements that sent him quickly up the chain in the organization.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

TerryPuhl21

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 25, 2019, 10:15:13 am »
The questions captioned above were, unfortunately, spot on.  Firing Taubman addressed his part in it, but the Astros are trying to use one punishment to pay for two crimes.

I’m sure it will go away now, but this remains an open sore and the Astros are leaving it that way in the hope that people will stop picking at it. 

Also, the failure to reach out to the targets of Taubman’s rant is terrible.  Those calls should have been made the second after Taubman left Luhnow’s office having been fired. 

“Hi.  This is Jeff Luhnow.  I wanted to let you know - before it is announced to the media - that we have terminated Brandon Taubman’s employment with the Astros effective immediately.  We are so sorry for what he did and, for our part, in being too slow to take this obvious and necessary action.  Blah, blah.  Etc, etc.“

^^This!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

geezerdonk

• a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 25, 2019, 10:36:04 am »
Unlikely to happen when there is so much virtue and righteousness to demonstrate.
E come vivo? Vivo.

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 25, 2019, 10:38:14 am »

Not a great take/look here.

When you're involved in something really shitty, airily apologizing and touting you've fixed the problem is not enough.

Own it, admit you fucked up, and sincerely apologize for being a part of it.

If they can't let go after that, there's not much you can do.

But that's the least you can do after being a complete cockgobbler.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 25, 2019, 11:01:36 am »

Possibly his career?  He was in line to be a big league general manager in the next 5-10 years....millions of dollars per year in a high profile gig.  He's now relegated to promotions director at some Independent League team in Bumfuck, Nebraska. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

SoonerJim

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 25, 2019, 11:29:59 am »
Unlikely to happen when there is so much virtue and righteousness to demonstrate.

Absolutely, perpetual outrage is how society rolls. Having the interlopers enter the center of the governing universe simply compounds the invective. The Athletic has an article up wanting the architects of the initial team response to be fired also

das

• View Profile
    • Faith Home Ministries
« Reply #175 on: October 25, 2019, 12:10:56 pm »
Absolutely, perpetual outrage is how society rolls. Having the interlopers enter the center of the governing universe simply compounds the invective. The Athletic has an article up wanting the architects of the initial team response to be fired also

Which is shocking since the Athletic is a well-reasoned outlet.  Not every bone-headed, wrong thing done in the workplace demands that someone get fired.  Sometimes, people actually learn from their mistakes and become better employees because of it.  The Astros have to balance the court of public opinion mob against what they will communicate to the larger Astros workforce about a hostile, inflexible workplace where mistakes are met with harsh consequences.  Which is particularly tough since they are in the entertainment business with only one degree of separation between their product and their consumer.
Another trenchant comment by a jealous lesser intellect.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 25, 2019, 12:20:49 pm »
Which is shocking since the Athletic is a well-reasoned outlet. 

Then it's likely there more as clickbait and pay me than anything else.
Goin' for a bus ride.

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 25, 2019, 12:54:53 pm »
Then it's likely there more as clickbait and pay me than anything else.

Not sure if serious... The Athletic is subscription driven and does not have ads of any kind. They don't do clickbait.

I thought this thread was a pretty cogent series of observations on the whole debacle:

https://twitter.com/eephusasher/status/1187544300680294401?s=21
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 25, 2019, 01:18:13 pm »
Not sure if serious... The Athletic is subscription driven and does not have ads of any kind. They don't do clickbait.

I thought this thread was a pretty cogent series of observations on the whole debacle:

https://twitter.com/eephusasher/status/1187544300680294401?s=21

The values that Footer is expressing is that she wants Osuna off the team. She only tweets it when he pitches and she is smart enough to know it associates the Astros with DV. The number of women who follow her who don't know about DV hotlines and are victims of violence are beyond microscopic; however, her twitter audience is mostly male baseball fans and she wants them to find Osuna unacceptable without her losing her job. Footer has also been around long enough to have a huge number of back channels and favors in the bank to organize a smear campaign against Taubman without having to do it herself.

I'm not saying that she did anything wrong, but she wasn't an innocent person minding her own business either as that person seems to want to portray her.

Ty in Tampa

• Contributor
  • Pope
  • You just gotta keep livin' man, L-I-V-I-N
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 25, 2019, 01:26:12 pm »
The values that Footer is expressing is that she wants Osuna off the team. She only tweets it when he pitches and she is smart enough to know it associates the Astros with DV. The number of women who follow her who don't know about DV hotlines and are victims of violence are beyond microscopic; however, her twitter audience is mostly male baseball fans and she wants them to find Osuna unacceptable without her losing her job. Footer has also been around long enough to have a huge number of back channels and favors in the bank to organize a smear campaign against Taubman without having to do it herself.

I'm not saying that she did anything wrong, but she wasn't an innocent person minding her own business either as that person seems to want to portray her.

The Astros made this choice, not Footer. The team should be doing more of what she is doing.
"You want me broken. You want me dead.
I'm living rent-free in the back of your head."