Author Topic: Latest Controversy  (Read 4453 times)

astrojo

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: Latest Controversy
« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2019, 02:10:42 pm »
Agree MRaup and Astros Fan in Big D, That is not a heartfelt apology admitting to any drunken misogynistic behavior whatsoever, but rather a egomaniacal shift of blame to the snowflake victims.  I do hope Crane/Luhnow and company discipline this ass clown by some sort of fine and ban from any further possible clubhouse celebrations.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #81 on: October 22, 2019, 02:18:56 pm »
Also, "those that know me know I am a progressive" sure sounds a lot like "I'm not racist, I have black friends".

Doubt there will be any more statements though.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2019, 02:35:32 pm »
Also, "those that know me know I am a progressive" sure sounds a lot like "I'm not racist, I have black friends".

Doubt there will be any more statements though.
Exactly. And being a "progressive" makes him no less culpable for his actions than if he was just a good old fashioned male chauvinist.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 22, 2019, 02:43:12 pm »
Those 2 statements make that dumbass Trump-esque FAKE NEWS press release look even fucking stupider, which is hard to do.  Also anyone who fell for the Astros BS, and decided to blame the reporter.....

Within 12 hours the Astros go from the article is FAKE NEWS to....sorry if we offended anyone?  JFC, fucking amateur hour.

It is truly amazing that people so smart can be so stupid.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2019, 02:48:47 pm »
Exactly. And being a "progressive" makes him no less culpable for his actions than if he was just a good old fashioned male chauvinist.

I think what they're still trying to say is that it was misconstrued and I'm sorry, but any kind of self-justification rings hollow. Tough position, but they can't say anything but however innocent my motives my statements were completely unacceptable I'm sorry. I'm not even real sure about the however innocent my motives part.   
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 22, 2019, 03:03:18 pm »
This whole thing is awful.  I just want to get excited for the WS and now every article/tweet/post rehashes a drunken idiot's unprovoked defense of an abuser and the organization's abomination of an apology.  Yuli's actions in 2017 are even being brought up again to highlight how terrible the org is and how shitty their fans (we) are for supporting it.
Just fucking awful all around and it's detracting from one of the most celebratory moments in baseball.
Game 1 can't start soon enough.
Don't think twice, it's alright.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 22, 2019, 03:27:47 pm »
This whole thing is awful.  I just want to get excited for the WS and now every article/tweet/post rehashes a drunken idiot's unprovoked defense of an abuser and the organization's abomination of an apology.  Yuli's actions in 2017 are even being brought up again to highlight how terrible the org is and how shitty their fans (we) are for supporting it.
Just fucking awful all around and it's detracting from one of the most celebratory moments in baseball.

This.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

TerryPuhl21

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 22, 2019, 03:39:08 pm »
The only real answer at this point is for Taubman to be fired. Anything short of that, rings hollow and allows this snowball to roll downhill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #88 on: October 22, 2019, 03:51:43 pm »
It is truly amazing that people so smart can be so stupid.

Between coworkers and friends, I personally know probably 40-50 people that have PhDs.  Roughly 80% of them are intelligent, thoughtful, enlightened people.  The remaining 20% are among the dumbest motherfuckers I've ever met.  I'm not talking about generally smart people who, for example, just lack social skills, or lack knowledge in certain subject areas fairly important to modern society (e.g. technology), or view the world in a fundamentally different (and perhaps flawed) way than I do.  I'm talking about Upper-Class Twit of the Year contenders for whom it's a miracle to get dressed every morning without injuring themselves.

Knoxbanedoodle

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 22, 2019, 03:58:33 pm »

All of the above. What really surprises me is Crane in all this.

I am constantly reminded of why I'm happy with the decision to avoid social media, and this kind of dogpile of righteousness and bullshit is exhibit A, over and over again. But I will just be nodding my head in agreement tonight that the Astros are run by a bunch of astonishingly PR-obtuse asshats, while rooting unabashedly for the 9.5 on the field.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2019, 03:59:25 pm »
The only real answer at this point is for Taubman to be fired. Anything short of that, rings hollow and allows this snowball to roll downhill.

I'm not sure about that, but the PR team needs to be counseled on how to write an apology. It's like these people have never been married.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 22, 2019, 04:01:54 pm »
And AJ nails his response when asked about the incident.  WE are lucky he is the Astros manager.  Wish they'd have let him write the press release, instead of whatever fucking dumbass did.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 22, 2019, 04:02:44 pm »

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 22, 2019, 04:03:50 pm »
I'm not sure about that, but the PR team needs to be counseled on how to write an apology. It's like these people have never been married.
It's like their PR people never took intro to public relations.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 22, 2019, 04:05:28 pm »
And AJ nails his response when asked about the incident.  WE are lucky he is the Astros manager.  Wish they'd have let him write the press release, instead of whatever fucking dumbass did.
So true.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 22, 2019, 04:13:10 pm »
AJ is the best.

TerryPuhl21

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 22, 2019, 04:40:29 pm »
MLB is now launching a full scale investigation into the incident.

Also the Baseball Writers Association is calling for the Astros to publicly apologize for the incident.

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #97 on: October 22, 2019, 04:40:38 pm »

“Defense of an abuser”

Seriously? Even here?
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Ebby Calvin

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 22, 2019, 04:46:08 pm »
“Defense of an abuser”

Seriously? Even here?

Yep.
Don't think twice, it's alright.

JJxvi

• Roster Filler
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 22, 2019, 04:47:25 pm »
So officially "apologizing" not only didnt make it go away but now "official investigations into the incident" immediately ramp up? Shocking.