Author Topic: Latest Controversy  (Read 4458 times)

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
Re: Latest Controversy
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2019, 09:21:49 am »
Reporters from the Chron have corroborated the story.

So fucking what? That is NOT what I was saying.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2019, 09:23:08 am »
That's not the same as going straight to Luhnow or Crane that night and reporting the event.  Then writing the story.  If she wrote first then asked for comment that's not the same.

Exactly.

Outlawscotty

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2019, 09:23:40 am »
No, no, no.  This is the 21st Century.  It's time for Twitter mob mentality.  The Astros should have to forfeit this Series, Luhnow and Taubman fired, the Astros fined $1 billion, and Hinch deported back to whatever shithole place he's from.  Oklahoma, I think.  Let's make it go viral!!

A billion is a bit much....

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2019, 09:36:08 am »
Reporters from the Chron have corroborated the story.

Have these reporters said why they didn't write about it?
Goin' for a bus ride.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2019, 09:37:34 am »
. . . Hinch deported back to whatever shithole place he's from.  Oklahoma, I think.  Let's make it go viral!!

That's really cruel and unusual, even for Twitter.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Navin R Johnson

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2019, 09:37:37 am »
Probably were afraid of losing access
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2019, 09:40:51 am »
So fucking what? That is NOT what I was saying.

It didn't matter who the press was for. You don't start a war of words with folk who buy ink by the barrel.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2019, 09:47:32 am »
Probably were afraid of losing access

If the incident were really that explosive denying access to the reporters would give credence to the notion that the Astros don't value women.  Someone in the org is tone deaf as the press release shows, but something like denying access isn't tone deafness.  It's much worse.  Just like what happened with the Dallas Mavericks a year or so ago the local and national press would not let it go.
Goin' for a bus ride.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2019, 09:49:10 am »
Or the team would just claim it was FAKE NEWS and then ban them from the clubhouse...
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2019, 09:51:37 am »
I want to know if the SI reporter went to Astros top brass about it before posting the report.  We train our staff to report abuse of any kind right away before doing anything else.  Don't let a perpetrator have any more time to continue bad behavior than can be helped.

The way I parse it SI showed the story to the Astros for comment before publication. That's pretty standard practice in political matters, and would be perfectly appropriate. I would assume that the reporter went to their counterpart in the Astros organization, but no organization would put out a press release like the Astros' without it being vetted up the line. If that didn't happen, man, that's almost even worse.

Like someone said, it doesn't really affect my enjoyment of the games, but among the broader public it really kills a lot of the good will that the organization has built. And it was just stupid.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2019, 09:54:44 am »
A breathtakingly stupid incident by Taubman followed by a monumentally stupid response by the Astros.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2019, 10:07:48 am »
Need to hear from Reid Ryan. Did he know about the press release?
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2019, 10:08:23 am »
It didn't matter who the press was for. You don't start a war of words with folk who buy ink by the barrel.

Mr. T. I represented public entities for 37 years. In addition, I was a fairly high-profile coach who dealt with the media every day. I have heard that trite saying many times, and I know it is true.

My point is and was some in the media will keep this alive at least in part out of animosity for the Astros.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2019, 10:11:14 am »
Need to hear from Reid Ryan. Did he know about the press release?

Reid Ryan is too PR-savvy to have had a role in this, imo. The media people are under his supervision. I am hoping for a joint Ryan-Luhnow press conference this morning rather than more wagon-circling.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2019, 10:14:18 am »
Mr. T. I represented public entities for 37 years. In addition, I was a fairly high-profile coach who dealt with the media every day. I have heard that trite saying many times, and I know it is true.

My point is and was some in the media will keep this alive at least in part out of animosity for the Astros.

Exactly. My point is that the Astros should have recognized that and killed it instead of fanning the flames.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2019, 10:15:41 am »
Exactly. My point is that the Astros should have recognized that and killed it instead of fanning the flames.

Total agreement

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2019, 10:25:03 am »
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2019, 10:28:57 am »
The way I parse it SI showed the story to the Astros for comment before publication. That's pretty standard practice in political matters, and would be perfectly appropriate. I would assume that the reporter went to their counterpart in the Astros organization, but no organization would put out a press release like the Astros' without it being vetted up the line. If that didn't happen, man, that's almost even worse.

Like someone said, it doesn't really affect my enjoyment of the games, but among the broader public it really kills a lot of the good will that the organization has built. And it was just stupid.

The good will can be repaired, and Reid Ryan is a genius at PR.

geezerdonk

• a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2019, 10:30:33 am »
Luhnow and Crane are the management face of the franchise. They need to do whatever it takes to make this go away and they need to do it immediately and publicly so that the entire focus shifts back to the field.
E come vivo? Vivo.

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2019, 10:31:52 am »

He pities the fool that don't agree with him.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das