Author Topic: Latest Controversy  (Read 20028 times)

Navin R Johnson

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Re: Latest Controversy
« Reply #180 on: October 25, 2019, 01:30:39 pm »
The values that Footer is expressing is that she wants Osuna off the team. She only tweets it when he pitches and she is smart enough to know it associates the Astros with DV. The number of women who follow her who don't know about DV hotlines and are victims of violence are beyond microscopic; however, her twitter audience is mostly male baseball fans and she wants them to find Osuna unacceptable without her losing her job. Footer has also been around long enough to have a huge number of back channels and favors in the bank to organize a smear campaign against Taubman without having to do it herself.

I'm not saying that she did anything wrong, but she wasn't an innocent person minding her own business either as that person seems to want to portray her.

GTFO

The ASTROS traded for a wife beater.  Some people have a problem with that.  If you don't that is your choice.  But there is absolutely nothing wrong with others pointing out what Osuna did, despite the fact that it triggers a certain group of snowflakes. 

If Taubman and the Astros can't handle criticism of bringing in a wife beater, then maybe they should have not traded for him. 
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Limey

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 25, 2019, 01:40:01 pm »
GTFO

The ASTROS traded for a wife beater.  Some people have a problem with that.  If you don't that is your choice.  But there is absolutely nothing wrong with others pointing out what Osuna did, despite the fact that it triggers a certain group of snowflakes. 

If Taubman and the Astros can't handle criticism of bringing in a wife beater, then maybe they should have not traded for him.

Worse: the Astros only got him because of his domestic violence.  They took advantage of the situation to pick up a player for cheap because he was, at that moment, toxic.
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

chuck

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 25, 2019, 01:55:16 pm »
organize a smear campaign against Taubman

lol
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #183 on: October 25, 2019, 02:07:12 pm »
More from the Athletic, with quotes from current and former (anonymous) Astros employees.

Taubman saga exposes longstanding questions about the Astros’ culture under Jim Crane and Jeff Luhnow

One ex-Astros baseball operations employee said this week that when they left for another team, they did so specifically because of the culture of the front office. They’re not alone, though an exact number is unclear. The Osuna acquisition was eye-opening for many.

Makes you wonder if people like Sig Mejdal left for Baltimore for this reason.

The Spleen

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 25, 2019, 02:10:00 pm »
My take on this debacle, via Twitter.
When the Clark is dead, Spack will eat his spleen. Before he dies, Spack will put his posts under the knife so the Clark will see his threads wiped out forever...

AtascAstro

• 92 in 2011!
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 25, 2019, 02:24:13 pm »
My take on this debacle, via Twitter.

Similar to what I've been thinking.  Since the trade, they've had to take the heat for the trade with no outlet to defend externally.  Internally, defense of it becomes identity.  Explains why it would be so easy to readily accept Taubman's account.

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 25, 2019, 02:33:45 pm »
GTFO

Not saying she is wrong and she is entitled to her opinion either way.

Col. Sphinx Drummond

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
  • art is a bulwark against the irrationality of man
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 25, 2019, 02:44:27 pm »
Like some are want to do, I’m not gonna make this about the Osuna trade. This is about the reprehensible behavior by the assistant to the GM. Taubman fucked up and crossed the line. The Astros as an organization initially responded badly and then walked back their initial response and responded correctly. I’m moving on.
Everyone's talking, few of them know
The rest are pretending, they put on a show
And if there's a message I guess this is it
Truth isn't easy, the easy part's shit

TerryPuhl21

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 25, 2019, 02:52:31 pm »
So I guess I’ll ask the question.

Do the Astros dump Osuna, either via trade or outright release, in the off-season in an effort to try and right this ship in the face of all that has gone on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 25, 2019, 02:57:33 pm »

Do the Astros dump Osuna, either via trade or outright release, in the off-season in an effort to try and right this ship in the face of all that has gone on?

I expect they'll go back to touting his clean record since joining the Astros and all the work the org has done in the community the past year and a half.
Goin' for a bus ride.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 25, 2019, 02:58:05 pm »

Personally, IMO, no.  That is my answer to this date.  They decided to give him a second chance.  If he screws up his second chance, then let him go.  I say, trying to make him a better man is better for society, than not.  But, giving chances are always limited.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

SoonerJim

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 25, 2019, 03:59:04 pm »
Let’s not ignore the fact that media possess a herd mentality with a preferred narrative of good vs evil. We ‘re playing a team whose last championship was during the flapper era, and whose fan theme song is a pre-K ditty about baby sharks. Until and unless we start winning, the stories will continue unabated. Taubman lays bare the downside of the analytics approach, as opposed to the classic “eyetest”.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27916163/why-astros-win-world-series-why

Mike S.

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 25, 2019, 04:31:38 pm »
More from the Athletic, with quotes from current and former (anonymous) Astros employees.

Taubman saga exposes longstanding questions about the Astros’ culture under Jim Crane and Jeff Luhnow

Makes you wonder if people like Sig Mejdal left for Baltimore for this reason.

I have no doubt there are parts of the article that are factually accurate.  It was also written by Evan Drellich.
Chevy! Chevy! Astro! Astro!

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #193 on: October 25, 2019, 05:06:21 pm »
I have no doubt there are parts of the article that are factually accurate.  It was also written by Evan Drellich.
Passan’s latest column strikes a lot of the same chords. Or do we hate him now too?

Mike S.

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 25, 2019, 05:57:31 pm »
I'll say it again.  I have no doubt that parts of the article are factually accurate. 

I also have no problem saying I struggle to take Evan Drellich seriously as a journalist.

ETA: Those two sentiments are not mutually exclusive.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2019, 05:59:11 pm by Mike S. »
Chevy! Chevy! Astro! Astro!

Mr. Appropriate

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 27, 2019, 11:33:23 am »
Possibly his career?  He was in line to be a big league general manager in the next 5-10 years....millions of dollars per year in a high profile gig.  He's now relegated to promotions director at some Independent League team in Bumfuck, Nebraska.
I think the desire to hire a baseball executive with taubman's experience in the elite baseball organization outwieghs the minimal reputational costs. Taubman was unknkown to the general public before his outburst. Another mlb team will pick him up this winter.
Where the fuck is Toro?

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 27, 2019, 12:28:05 pm »
Yesterday Crane sent a letter to Apstein apologizing to her and officially retracting the original bullshit statement.

“On behalf of the entire Astros organization, I want to personally apologize for the statement we issued on Monday October 21st,” Crane wrote. “We were wrong and I am sorry that we initially questioned your professionalism. We retract that statement, and I assure you that the Houston Astros will learn from this experience.”
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

chuck

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 27, 2019, 12:31:24 pm »
Yesterday Crane sent a letter to Apstein apologizing to her and officially retracting the original bullshit statement.

“On behalf of the entire Astros organization, I want to personally apologize for the statement we issued on Monday October 21st,” Crane wrote. “We were wrong and I am sorry that we initially questioned your professionalism. We retract that statement, and I assure you that the Houston Astros will learn from this experience.”

That's good.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 27, 2019, 11:08:04 pm »
I don't know what the problem with all of this is. It's not like Osuna took a knee during the national anthem.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

geezerdonk

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 28, 2019, 07:33:50 am »
Or supported freedom in Hong Kong.
E come vivo? Vivo.