Author Topic: World Series Umpires  (Read 3160 times)

astrojo

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
World Series Umpires
« on: October 21, 2019, 03:52:38 pm »
For Game 1, then rotate as usual:

HP: Alan Porter
1B: Doug Eddings
2B: Gary Cederstom
3B: James Hope
LF: Lance Barksdale
RF: Sam Holbrook
Replay Games 1-2: Jim Wolf
Replay Games 3-end: Alan Porter

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
Re: World Series Umpires
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 03:54:34 pm »
For Game 1, then rotate as usual:

HP: Alan Porter
1B: Doug Eddings
2B: Gary Cederstom
3B: James Hope
LF: Lance Barksdale
RF: Sam Holbrook
Replay Games 1-2: Jim Wolf
Replay Games 3-end: Alan Porter

Just posted this on facebook, but it applies here too:

On top of not being a who's who of umpiring douchebaggery, this is a pretty good crew. I think the worst in this group is Porter, who has been known to have a bit of a short temper, but compared to the usual suspects, he's amazing.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 04:23:19 pm »

On top of not being a who's who of umpiring douchebaggery, this is a pretty good crew. I think the worst in this group is Porter, who has been known to have a bit of a short temper, but compared to the usual suspects, he's amazing.

Doug Eddings is an enormous douche bag
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

BizidyDizidy

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 04:45:54 pm »

I think the worst in this group is Porter, who has been known to have a bit of a short temper, but compared to the usual suspects, he's amazing.

Worth noting that it looks like there hasn't been an ejection in a WS game in 23 years
"My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four. Unless there are three other people."
  -  Orson Welles

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 06:03:12 pm »
Doug Eddings is an enormous douche bag

Overall Eddings is a good ump. He has had some douche moments in the last few years though.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 07:50:14 pm »

I consider myself a pretty good fan but you provide a scouting report on the umps? Half of which I don't recognize the names? Ok.

Where are Doug Harvey and John Kibler? Jocko Conlan?

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 10:57:54 am »
I consider myself a pretty good fan but you provide a scouting report on the umps? Half of which I don't recognize the names? Ok.

Where are Doug Harvey and John Kibler? Jocko Conlan?

I'm by no means an expert on the umps, but I think I keep a little closer eye on them for the most part than most fans due to my interest when I was younger in being an umpire and my continued attention while being a baseball fan through my adult life.

Generally speaking, the less you recognise an umpire's name, the better they are. Once you get old enough to just have name recognition not for a specific incident, there's a reputation behind you from your overall work that can be fairly easily broken down, I think.

Doug Eddings is a good example of that. He's been around for a while. This is his first World Series, but he's been an overall consistent umpire throughout his career in my opinion. He definitely has a shorter temper than some, and has had a few notable confrontation, but if you're comparing his temper to someone like, say, Joe West, he's a pussycat comparably.

The rest of the crew is a solid mix of good older umps and some of the younger guys that have good reputations overall. There are definitely not any duds on this roster, which is fairly consistent with the WS crews for the past 5 years. I won't get in to a deep dive of the CS and DS crews, but the MLB has actually done a pretty solid job of keeping the total fucksticks away from the biggest spotlight. I'm sure we all remember Angel Hernandez's awesome ALDS performance(s) last year: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/10/10/under-fire-umpire-angel-hernandez-likely-done-mlb-playoffs-not-reason-you-think/

Here's the last 6 years of WS ump rosters:

2019: Lance Barksdale, Gary Cederstrom (crew chief), Doug Eddings, Sam Holbrook, James Hoye, Alan Porter (Games 1–2),[a] Jim Wolf (Games 3–end)[a][1]
2018: Ted Barrett (crew chief), Fieldin Culbreth (Games 3–5), Kerwin Danley, Chad Fairchild, Jeff Nelson, Jim Reynolds, Tim Timmons (Games 1–2)[1]
2017: Phil Cuzzi (Games 1–2), Gerry Davis (crew chief), Laz Díaz, Dan Iassogna, Bill Miller, Paul Nauert, Mark Wegner (Games 3–7)[1]
2016: Chris Guccione, John Hirschbeck (crew chief), Sam Holbrook (Games 3–7), Marvin Hudson, Tony Randazzo, Larry Vanover (Games 1–2) and Joe West.[1]
2015: Gary Cederstrom (crew chief),Bill Welke (games 1–2), Mike Everitt (games 3–7), Mark Carlson, Mike Winters, Jim Wolf, Alfonso Márquez, Ron Kulpa (replay assistant)
2014: Jeff Kellogg (crew chief), Ted Barrett, Jeff Nelson (Games 3–7), Hunter Wendelstedt, Eric Cooper, Jim Reynolds, Jerry Meals (Games 1 & 2)

World Series Count in the last 6 years (this year's crew bolded)
Jeff Nelson - 2
Ted Barrett - 2
Jim Reynolds - 2
Sam Holbrook - 2
Gary Cederstrom - 2
Jim Wolf - 2
Kerwin Danley -2
Hunter Wendelstedt - 1
Eric Cooper - 1
Jerry Meals - 1
Bill Welke - 1
Mike Everitt - 1
Mike Winters - 1
Alfonso Marquez - 1
Ron Kulpa -  1
 Tony Randazzo - 1
Larry Vanover  - 1
Joe West - 1
Alan Porter - 1
James Hoye - 1

Doug Eddings -  1
Lance Barksdale - 1
John Hirschbeck - 1
Mark Wegner - 1
Paul Nauert - 1
Bill Miller  - 1
Dan Iassogna - 1
Laz Diaz - 1
Tim Timmons - 1
Chad Fairchild  - 1
Gerry Davis - 1
Phil Cuzzi - 1
Jeff Kellogg - 1
Rieldin Culbreth - 1

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2019, 12:10:23 pm »
I’ll add an omitted fact to Mark’s articulate response: Mark was an umpire and a good one for 3-4 years in HS baseball around Austin.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2019, 12:12:06 pm »
I will always remember Laz Diaz fondly for keeping Devo's errant pickoff throw to 2nd on the infield in G2.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2019, 12:15:05 pm »
Wasn't Eddings the guy who didn't award Biggio 1B after a HBP then tossed him after Craig popped out and blew up?

I don't have an axe to grind with him,  just a memorable moment.

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2019, 12:18:16 pm »
Wasn't Eddings the guy who didn't award Biggio 1B after a HBP then tossed him after Craig popped out and blew up?

I don't have an axe to grind with him,  just a memorable moment.

Same guy: https://www.espn.com/mlb/news/story?id=2938811

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2019, 12:25:51 pm »
I will always remember Laz Diaz fondly for keeping Devo's errant pickoff throw to 2nd on the infield in G2.

and maybe saving Game 2 for us.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2019, 12:48:12 pm »
I though last night’s HPU had a consistent zone.  It was a little generous on the edges too, which makes Cole’s struggles even more puzzling.  He did miss the catcher’s interference, though, about which I’m not sure if I’m more surprised that he missed it or that it’s not challengeable.

That alone might have been worth a run because it turned 1st & 2nd with 0 outs into 1st only and 1 out. 
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2019, 12:57:49 pm »
I though last night’s HPU had a consistent zone.  It was a little generous on the edges too, which makes Cole’s struggles even more puzzling.  He did miss the catcher’s interference, though, about which I’m not sure if I’m more surprised that he missed it or that it’s not challengeable.

That alone might have been worth a run because it turned 1st & 2nd with 0 outs into 1st only and 1 out.

I'm still not sure how he missed it. Granted, it was quite loud in MMP, but he was looking squarely at it on the replay, and it was clear as day.

Astros Fan in Big D

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2019, 01:21:32 pm »
I'm still not sure how he missed it. Granted, it was quite loud in MMP, but he was looking squarely at it on the replay, and it was clear as day.

Pretty telling that I was so frustrated by the Astros offense that I just took that missed call in stride and didn't think about again until these posts.

BudGirl

• Contributor
  • Illuminati
  • Brad Ausmus' Slave
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2019, 01:22:52 pm »
I still do not understand how the noise in MMP affected the call.  That is one he should have seen, IMO.
''I just did an interview with someone I like more than you. I used a lot of big words on him. I don't have anything left for you.'' --Brad Ausmus

Well behaved women rarely make history.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2019, 01:24:42 pm »

Also how does the third base ump miss it?  If he's supposed to be able to call a check swing how can he miss that?
Goin' for a bus ride.

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2019, 01:29:08 pm »
Also how does the third base ump miss it?  If he's supposed to be able to call a check swing how can he miss that?

That's another in a series of good questions. The first of which is "HOW THE FUCK IS THAT NOT REVIEWABLE, YOU FUCKING TWATS?!"