Author Topic: WS 2019  (Read 9069 times)

dickntx

• Clark
    • View Profile
Re: WS 2019
« Reply #120 on: October 27, 2019, 10:47:02 pm »
When the Fox boys threw up the stat about Yordan's homer drought a wry slow smile spread across my face.  Needless to say I was not disappointed.

Astros Fan in Big D

• Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 28, 2019, 06:19:25 am »
No chickens to count, but that was an impressive 3 game stretch from the Astros.

They managed to get something out of every spot in the order at one time or another.  Defensively they were mostly sharp with a few outstanding plays (Yuli!).   The pitching was really good without needing wicked stuff to do it.   They battled,  sometimes faltered, but didn't cave.

Now we've got 2 games to get 1.  JV, just be JV.
Bats,  be patient and move the line.   And pounce on mistakes.

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #122 on: October 28, 2019, 09:53:26 am »
No chickens to count, but that was an impressive 3 game stretch from the Astros.

They managed to get something out of every spot in the order at one time or another.  Defensively they were mostly sharp with a few outstanding plays (Yuli!).   The pitching was really good without needing wicked stuff to do it.   They battled,  sometimes faltered, but didn't cave.

Now we've got 2 games to get 1.  JV, just be JV.
Bats,  be patient and move the line.   And pounce on mistakes.

Well said. I hope JV has a dominating game left. I hope the bats show up and support him with early runs. I hope the team keeps playing with the intense passion we saw in DC. This will not be easy.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Texifornia

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 28, 2019, 10:14:04 am »
JV's game Tuesday is very important. If there's a game 7, Scherzer will likely pitch. I'd like to see some early run support (for a change) for JV and let him roll with confidence.
He breezed him, one more time!

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #124 on: October 28, 2019, 10:21:03 am »
Guessing the MMP roof will be closed again.  High near 80 tomorrow, and if they play Wednesday night there's a pretty good chance of thunderstorms.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 28, 2019, 10:51:18 am »
Well said. I hope JV has a dominating game left. I hope the bats show up and support him with early runs. I hope the team keeps playing with the intense passion we saw in DC. This will not be easy.

why would the team play with more passion in DC than in Houston? I don't question your statement but it is puzzling to me what we have just seen. Flies in the face of history.  Maybe the Nats did the same? Just very odd for all of the five games to have gone to the visitor.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 28, 2019, 10:55:15 am »
Just very odd for all of the five games to have gone to the visitor.

It's only the third time that's ever happened. 1906 (White Sox came back against the Cubs - though they alternated home/visitor each game) and 1996 (Yankees came back against the Braves). The home team won game 6 on both occasions to win the World Series.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

doyce7

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 28, 2019, 11:01:52 am »
It's only the third time that's ever happened. 1906 (White Sox came back against the Cubs - though they alternated home/visitor each game) and 1996 (Yankees came back against the Braves). The home team won game 6 on both occasions to win the World Series.
Here's to hoping history repeats for a third time

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Snuffy

• Prime Time Player
  • Watch him "motate" down the line!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 28, 2019, 11:03:21 am »
Potential HOF players in this WS....

Includes some projections.
Nothing worthwhile comes without pain, ask any Astros fan.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 28, 2019, 11:04:50 am »
why would the team play with more passion in DC than in Houston? I don't question your statement but it is puzzling to me what we have just seen. Flies in the face of history.  Maybe the Nats did the same? Just very odd for all of the five games to have gone to the visitor.

How much baseball have you watched? The Astros stepped it up a notch because elimination was lurking. The Nats expected to win the Series in DC. There have been reams written with lots os Astros’ quotes about the team’s mindset and attitude in DC.

You find it “odd” enough to say the same thing in two threads. I think the answer is “it’s baseball.”

jbm

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 28, 2019, 12:08:42 pm »
Yeah, elimination put a fire under them, all postseason, and it’s been impressive and the sign of a good team. Taking care of business tomorrow would be a sign of a maturing, great team.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 28, 2019, 12:32:34 pm »

Don’t overlook the very different circumstances in which the two teams entered the series.  The Astros were coming down off the high of the ALCS and fatigue (mental as well as physical) was likely a factor.  The Nats, on the other hand, came in completely rested and with an abundance of confidence following their demolition of the Jakes. 

Hopefully, they’re a little deflated having been swept at home.  They can’t be happy about coming back to Houston.  How they react will be very interesting. 
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

subnuclear

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 28, 2019, 12:48:22 pm »
The Nats have a lot of RISPs and Scherzer being out was just the worst luck for them. I expect the remaining games to be very tough.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 28, 2019, 12:50:43 pm »
The Astros were coming down off the high of the ALCS and fatigue (mental as well as physical) was likely a factor. 

I wondered before the WS started if the team was tired.  Not only the ALCS slugfest but also the very draining ALDS too.  The Astros have generally faced most of the best pitching in baseball with the Rays staff, the Yankees bullpen, and the Nats aces.  I wonder if it took the team a couple of games into the WS to recover and get their energy back?
Goin' for a bus ride.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 28, 2019, 12:52:43 pm »
Don’t overlook the very different circumstances in which the two teams entered the series.  The Astros were coming down off the high of the ALCS and fatigue (mental as well as physical) was likely a factor.  The Nats, on the other hand, came in completely rested and with an abundance of confidence following their demolition of the Jakes. 

Hopefully, they’re a little deflated having been swept at home.  They can’t be happy about coming back to Houston.  How they react will be very interesting.
Don’t overlook the very different circumstances in which the two teams entered the series.
This makes some sense. I was exhausted after the Yankee series from just watching.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 12:54:46 pm by juliogotay »

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 28, 2019, 12:53:49 pm »
I also do not want to hear a fucking whine about starting Ross. Injuries are part of it, as we well know, and they had their chance at Urquidy in Game 4.

Texifornia

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 28, 2019, 01:00:38 pm »
I also do not want to hear a fucking whine about starting Ross. Injuries are part of it, as we well know, and they had their chance at Urquidy in Game 4.
Had Houston won game 5 by a score of 7-6 they would have a point. But unless Scherzer was guaranteed to throw a CGSO, the Astros almost certainly get two runs and still win. As it stands, Scherzer could pitch a game 7 against Grienke.

I don't think anybody beats Cole or the Astros last night.
He breezed him, one more time!

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 28, 2019, 01:02:31 pm »
I saw this reported exchange between Springer and a reporter.  I hope it’s real:

REP:   So what did you do on the off day to create such a change in fortunes?

GS:  We okayed beach volleyball.

REP:   Really?

GS:  No
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 28, 2019, 01:09:11 pm »
Had Houston won game 5 by a score of 7-6 they would have a point. But unless Scherzer was guaranteed to throw a CGSO, the Astros almost certainly get two runs and still win. As it stands, Scherzer could pitch a game 7 against Grienke.

I don't think anybody beats Cole or the Astros last night.

I read Scherzer’s interview about his problem. It is hard for me to imagine he’ll pitch again in this series.

SoonerJim

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 28, 2019, 01:18:37 pm »

JV is 0-5 and 5+ era in postseason; would be good to have a reversal of form