Author Topic: Rotation Games 4.5.6.7  (Read 2214 times)

Navin R Johnson

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
Rotation Games 4.5.6.7
« on: October 16, 2019, 10:11:04 am »
Need to win 2 of the next 4.

Sounds like lots of options for the next 4.

I'd go.  Grienke Thursday, Urquidy, Friday Verlander Saturday, Cole Sunday.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

DVauthrin

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
Re: Rotation Games 4.5.6.7
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 10:18:55 am »
If tonight’s game gets postponed until tomorrow, I’d flip Verlander and Urquidy in your order.  Verlander won’t be fazed by pitching in Yankee Stadium in October, and he’s on normal rest Friday.
Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 10:33:32 am »
If tonight’s game gets postponed until tomorrow, I’d flip Verlander and Urquidy in your order.  Verlander won’t be fazed by pitching in Yankee Stadium in October, and he’s on normal rest Friday.

This.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 10:36:40 am »

In the playoffs not going with Verlander Friday is too much of a headgame.  You play to win the game in front of you. That means Verlander as soon as he's on full rest. Greinke tomorrow, Verlander Friday.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 12:00:42 pm »
Hinch announced Grienke tomorrow and JV Friday per MLB.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Texifornia

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 12:02:48 pm »
Boone hasn't officially said so, but it's probably going to be Tanaka vs Grienke On Thursday. Grienke pitched O.K. in Game 1 but can pitch much better. Tanaka can't pitch much better than he did in Game 1 and I don't think he can keep the Astros' offense down a second time.
He breezed him, one more time!

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 12:06:26 pm »
Boone hasn't officially said so, but it's probably going to be Tanaka vs Grienke On Thursday. Grienke pitched O.K. in Game 1 but can pitch much better. Tanaka can't pitch much better than he did in Game 1 and I don't think he can keep the Astros' offense down a second time.

Hope so on both points.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Texifornia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 12:15:03 pm »
Hope so on both points.
I'm hoping Tanaka Tonic is just the thing for what ails Yordan. He can catch up to the fastball and pull the breaking pitch into the upper deck.

I'm going to meditate on these three things: Yordan Alvarez, breaking pitch, and upper deck.

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 12:21:15 pm »
I'm hoping Tanaka Tonic is just the thing for what ails Yordan. He can catch up to the fastball and pull the breaking pitch into the upper deck.

I'm going to meditate on these three things: Yordan Alvarez, breaking pitch, and upper deck.

Just make sure you're connecting all three of those things while he's in the batter's box.
Goin' for a bus ride.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 12:39:09 pm »
In the playoffs not going with Verlander Friday is too much of a headgame.  You play to win the game in front of you. That means Verlander as soon as he's on full rest. Greinke tomorrow, Verlander Friday.

Following that train of thought, it should be Cole Saturday (if necessary) and all hands on deck (including Verlander, Greinke, and probably even Cole) on Sunday (if necessary)
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 12:45:22 pm »
Following that train of thought, it should be Cole Saturday (if necessary) and all hands on deck (including Verlander, Greinke, and probably even Cole) on Sunday (if necessary)

BAH GOD! THAT'S CHARLIE MORTON'S MUSIC!
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

AtascAstro

• 92 in 2011!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2019, 12:45:51 pm »
I wouldn't pitch Cole on short rest unless we were facing elimination.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Texifornia

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2019, 12:46:18 pm »
If the Astros can win one of the next two games, I would think Cole gets Sunday on normal rest, if necessary and Johnny Allstaff on Saturday.

homer

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2019, 12:50:10 pm »
BAH GOD! THAT'S CHARLIE MORTON'S MUSIC!

I wouldn't pitch Cole on short rest unless we were facing elimination.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

If the Astros can win one of the next two games, I would think Cole gets Sunday on normal rest, if necessary and Johnny Allstaff on Saturday.

We already have precedent on this from the ALDS. Hinch will do everything in his power to win the game in front of him, and pitching Cole on short rest would be a better proposition than leaving it to the bullpen.
Oye. Vamos, vamos.

Knoxbanedoodle

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2019, 01:09:58 pm »
We already have precedent on this from the ALDS. Hinch will do everything in his power to win the game in front of him, and pitching Cole on short rest would be a better proposition than leaving it to the bullpen.

Assuming we're not on the verge of elimination, I disagree.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2019, 01:11:19 pm »
Yanks announce, Tanaka G4, Paxton G5.
There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Navin R Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2019, 01:12:40 pm »
So bullpen vs bullpen G6, and Cole Severino G7?

AtascAstro

• 92 in 2011!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2019, 01:17:25 pm »

The difference being the length of the series.  In the LDS, you pitch Verlander in game 4 because there are only 2 games left and Cole has game 5.  Here, if you are not facing elimination in game 6 then you aren't risking going down without getting 2 games from your top 2.  The fact that Verlander struggled with command on short rest only furthers the argument against it.

Waldo

• Administrator
  • Pope
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ashrubbery.com/
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2019, 02:26:21 pm »
The difference being the length of the series.  In the LDS, you pitch Verlander in game 4 because there are only 2 games left and Cole has game 5.  Here, if you are not facing elimination in game 6 then you aren't risking going down without getting 2 games from your top 2.  The fact that Verlander struggled with command on short rest only furthers the argument against it.

I don't even know that throwing Cole on short rest is an automatic decision even if the Astros leave NY down 3-2.  Best I can tell, Cole has never pitched on short rest so you have no real expectation of what he's going to give you.  And today's rainout will put a lot of stress on the Yankees bullpen if Tanaka and Paxton don't go deep into their games.  Depending on the finer details of games 4-5 I might be content letting game 6 be bullpen vs. bullpen anyway.

Of course, we all hope there is no game 6.

toddthebod

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2019, 02:32:30 pm »
I have a hard time believing that the Astros are going to sweep the Yankees in New York.  I am cautiously confident that we will win one of the two games.  Which means going back to Houston up 3-2.  Not sure how the Yankees go with a bullpen day in game 6 if they are facing elimination.  So Yankees start Severino game 6.  I'd go Urquidy because I don't want to start Cole on short rest.
Boom!