Author Topic: Tipping pitches  (Read 2854 times)

BlownRanger

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
Re: Tipping pitches
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2019, 10:47:16 am »
Maybe the discussion was about something else, but if I had determined that a guy was tipping pitches, I wouldn't announce it to the world by grabbing Correa on his way to the plate and excitedly explaining it to him.
"He hit that one right up the poop chute, Bill" - Enos Cabell

Dobro

• Prime Time Player
  • Triple Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2019, 10:57:08 am »
Bregman's at bat in the first inning was interesting.  He clearly knew which pitch was coming.  He absolutely spit on the first pitch curveball, took a vicious hack at the second pitch fastball, then decides the 1-1 curveball is his pitch and strokes it to the gap for a double.  A fine piece of hitting by Bregman.
Lighten up, Francis.

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Double Super Secret Pope
  • The goddamn Germans ain't got nothin to do with it
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2019, 11:07:32 am »
Maybe the discussion was about something else, but if I had determined that a guy was tipping pitches, I wouldn't announce it to the world by grabbing Correa on his way to the plate and excitedly explaining it to him.

If the TV camera hadn't picked up their meeting, nobody wouldn't noticed a thing.

There were several shots of players discussing probably the tipped pitches during the first inning.

How would you have suggested Bregman let Correa know? Let him finish his at bat then whisper to him in the dugout?

Also, knowing what pitch was coming did nothing for Correa. He had a horrible AB.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

JimR

• Contributor
  • High Order of the Ferret
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2019, 11:17:57 am »
What happened last night happens literally every single pitch of every single baseball game ever played.  The pitcher tries to fool the hitter, the hitter tries to recognize what pitch is being thrown and hit it.  This is the foundation of the game itself.  It's mindboggling that anyone who has ever seen a game even bats an eyelash.  THIS IS THE GAME OF BASEBALL!!!!

Exactly.

Often wrong, but never in doubt.

Dobro

• Prime Time Player
  • Triple Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2019, 11:21:49 am »
Also, knowing what pitch was coming did nothing for Correa. He had a horrible AB.

Yep, as did Reddick.  Reddick knew the fastball was coming and swung and missed 3 of 'em.
Lighten up, Francis.

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Key Member of the Conspiracy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2019, 12:38:28 pm »
What happened last night happens literally every single pitch of every single baseball game ever played.  The pitcher tries to fool the hitter, the hitter tries to recognize what pitch is being thrown and hit it.  This is the foundation of the game itself.  It's mindboggling that anyone who has ever seen a game even bats an eyelash.  THIS IS THE GAME OF BASEBALL!!!!

Agreed.  Hell, it could be argued that Tampa Bay was stealing signs, the way they laid off quality breaking pitches (Osuna's outing in Game 2 comes to mind) throughout the series.  I don't think that is the case, but their ability to do so was impressive.

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2019, 12:45:41 pm »
Agreed.  Hell, it could be argued that Tampa Bay was stealing signs, the way they laid off quality breaking pitches (Osuna's outing in Game 2 comes to mind) throughout the series.  I don't think that is the case, but their ability to do so was impressive.

Regardless, good teams steal signs and there is no rule against it as long as it's not being done outside of the accepted guidelines. Picking up signals from the coaches boxes or while on base is just total gamesmanship.

If you are legally stealing signs, good for you for being smart enough to do it and pulling it off.
"Terrorists, Sam. They've taken over my stomach and they're demanding beer." - Norm.

"Your words yield destruction, sorrow and are meant just to hate and hurt..." - Das

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2019, 12:47:00 pm »
Kevin Cash handled it very well.

When asked he said he knew there was speculation,  but credit should be given to the guys who hit line drives.

Enjoyed that story,  Jim.

Cash is a good guy and an innovative manager. And a good one at that. The opener idea was deployed quite well to keep the team afloat while Glasnow and Snell were out. I understand why he and Hinch are friends.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

Jacksonian

• Contributor
  • Anonymous Source
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2019, 02:50:27 pm »
Regardless, good teams steal signs and there is no rule against it as long as it's not being done outside of the accepted guidelines. Picking up signals from the coaches boxes or while on base is just total gamesmanship.

If you are legally stealing signs, good for you for being smart enough to do it and pulling it off.

Jomboy's got you covered.
Goin' for a bus ride.

MRaup

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2019, 02:52:40 pm »
Jomboy's got you covered.

Was literally coming to post that very same thing.

Jomboy is a much better lip reader than me.

Limey

• Contributor
  • Tally Ho!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2019, 03:43:41 pm »

A-Rod inferred there was something nefarious about what the Astros did to Glasnow.  He highlighted the Bregman at-bat as proof that the Astros had the pitches, but did not expound on the fact that t was likely completely legit.  He just left it hanging as “I don’t know how they got them, but they had them...”

Dick
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.

Fredia

• Pope
  • Looking forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2019, 04:23:51 pm »
following that line of reasoning  every time  a game is won  then the  loosing pitcher was tipping his pitchers.  no skill necessary by the hitter.
forever is composed entirely of nows

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2019, 07:06:41 pm »
A-Rod inferred there was something nefarious about what the Astros did to Glasnow.  He highlighted the Bregman at-bat as proof that the Astros had the pitches, but did not expound on the fact that t was likely completely legit.  He just left it hanging as “I don’t know how they got them, but they had them...”

Fuck ARod.

Dick
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

bubba

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2019, 12:18:29 am »
Jomboy needs to do pbp for a live broadcast.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2019, 09:20:10 am »
Jomboy needs to do pbp for a live broadcast.

That would only be entertaining if the Yankees were losing badly.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Gizzmonic

• Space City Carbohydrate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2019, 11:08:56 am »
If it's truly an exceptional pitch (like, Cole slider when it's on), I might tip 20-25%.
Grab another Coke and let's die

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2019, 04:26:10 pm »
Sources: Yankees dugout erupts over Astros' alleged sign stealing

Yankees players and coaches became angry with the Astros during Game 1 of the ALCS when they noticed a whistling sound in the Astros' dugout -- which they believed was an over-the-line example of sign stealing, and a violation of the game's unwritten rules.

According to three sources, a Yankees coach noticed a whistling sound in the opposing dugout on certain pitches on Saturday night in Houston. The Yankees started yelling across the field, and people in the dugouts argued back and forth.
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

Knoxbanedoodle

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2019, 04:30:45 pm »

Yankees players and coaches became angry with the Astros during Game 1 of the ALCS when they noticed a whistling sound in the Astros' dugout -- which they believed was an over-the-line example of sign stealing, and a violation of the game's unwritten rules.

According to three sources, a Yankees coach noticed a whistling sound in the opposing dugout on certain pitches on Saturday night in Houston. The Yankees started yelling across the field, and people in the dugouts argued back and forth.

I guess this is what it's going to be like for us as long as we're awesome.

When the Yankees won World Series all the time I didn't think they were dirty, I just resented that they would always have things go preposterously right for them. When the would-be wild pitch smacked into Kerwin Danley in yesterday's game I thought: here we go again. Then the next pitch happened, and I immediately and irresponsibly started reading portends into it.

NeilT

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2019, 04:31:30 pm »

You'd think if they were stealing signs in Game 1 it would have done them more good.
"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing... as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”  Charles Grassley

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2019, 05:09:46 pm »
You'd think if they were stealing signs in Game 1 it would have done them more good.

Three goddamn hits? That's all we got?
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."