Author Topic: Choose Wisely  (Read 2461 times)

geezerdonk

• Key Member of the Conspiracy
  • a long tradition of existence
    • View Profile
Choose Wisely
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2019, 06:32:37 pm »
Will Carlos appear in a game for the Astros again? Not much time left.
E come vivo? Vivo.

geezerdonk

• View Profile
Choose Wisely
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2019, 06:36:49 pm »
According to something called Rotoworld Carlos has already been scratched for tomorrow but is planning to be in the lineup Friday.
E come vivo? Vivo.

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
Re: Choose Wisely
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2019, 06:39:48 pm »
Will Carlos appear in a game for the Astros again? Not much time left.

I don't understand this. He's still under control. He's arb-eligible, but I don't think he's going to be able to put together a strong case in arbitration, specifically because of his injury history. So the Astros will have to pay ($7.5MM? he's making $5.0MM this year), but not so much that it won't be worth taking the chance that he'll actually be healthy next year. If they only get 80-100 games out of him again next year, *then* maybe they do something (e.g., trade).
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

austro

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2019, 06:54:11 pm »
Toro got a good audition at third this year. Not sure he is the answer but he certainly could be. I wonder what the third base - short stop free agent list looks like.

The top 3B FAs are Rendon and Donaldson. I'd *love* to have Rendon, but he's going to cost a fortune. Top SS is Gregorius; I guess he could leave the Yankees (I suppose they'd move Torres to SS and make LeMahieu the full-time 2B), but I'd be surprised if that actually happens.

I think it's more likely that if they think they need a future 3B so that they can say goodbye to Carlos, they'll find somebody young they can get in a trade and use Diaz at 3B for a year or two while that somebody develops.
I remember all the good times me 'n Miller enjoyed
Up and down the M1 in some luminous yo-yo toy
But the future has to change - and to change I've got to destroy
Oh look out Lennon here I come - land ahoy-hoy-hoy

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2019, 07:03:18 pm »
Ever or just now?

I don't see him as ever being.  That doesn't mean he's not useful, I just don't see him being that kind of player. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

geezerdonk

• View Profile
Choose Wisely
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2019, 07:12:04 pm »
I don't understand this. He's still under control. He's arb-eligible, but I don't think he's going to be able to put together a strong case in arbitration, specifically because of his injury history. So the Astros will have to pay ($7.5MM? he's making $5.0MM this year), but not so much that it won't be worth taking the chance that he'll actually be healthy next year. If they only get 80-100 games out of him again next year, *then* maybe they do something (e.g., trade).

No, you're right. I whiffed on his arbitration years. They have two years to get his back fixed. He will play a lot of games for the Astros I hope.
E come vivo? Vivo.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2019, 09:59:11 am »
Whoa there.  I like Toro as much a the next guy, and he's done a good job filling in.  But he's not an everyday player in the big leagues, and he's certainly no replacement for Correa.

I'd like to see if Toro could be the new Marwin. Maybe not play SS but play ever other IF spot and corner OF.

CC has played in 57.8% of Astros games since the beginning of the 2018 season.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 10:01:08 am by juliogotay »

Dobro

• Prime Time Player
  • Triple Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2019, 10:05:52 am »
No, you're right. I whiffed on his arbitration years. They have two years to get his back fixed. He will play a lot of games for the Astros I hope.

There ain't no fixin' his back.  It is what it is.
Lighten up, Francis.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2019, 10:09:10 am »
I'd like to see if Toro could be the new Marwin. Maybe not play SS but play ever other IF spot and corner OF.

CC has played in 57.8% of Astros games since the beginning of the 2018 season.

Diaz is the new Marwin.  You can't have a team full of backup utility players.  Someone has to be the everyday third baseman, and I don't think Toro is the answer.  I've been wrong before, however. 
The rules of distinction were thrown out with the baseball cap.  It does not lend itself to protocol.  It is found today on youth in homes, classrooms, even in fine restaurants.  Regardless of its other consequences, this is a breach against civility.  A civilized man should avoid this mania.

Bench

• Illuminati
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2019, 10:45:58 am »
If Correa isn't on the postseason roster, who's your third baseman? Diaz? Toro? Move Yuli to third and put Tucker at first?
"Holy shit, Mozart. Get me off this fucking thing."

BlownRanger

• Prime Time Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2019, 11:10:00 am »
If Correa isn't on the postseason roster, who's your third baseman? Diaz? Toro? Move Yuli to third and put Tucker at first?

If Correa can't play, it has to be Yuli and Diaz at the corners, and I'd leave Yuli at first.
"He hit that one right up the poop chute, Bill" - Enos Cabell

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2019, 11:51:47 am »
If Correa can't play, it has to be Yuli and Diaz at the corners, and I'd leave Yuli at first.

I agree.  Don't move two guys around, just plug Diaz in at 3B.  Not ideal, but it is what it is.

jaklewein

• Fantasy Team Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2019, 11:53:37 am »
I agree.  Don't move two guys around, just plug Diaz in at 3B.  Not ideal, but it is what it is.

I agree, but I also like Toro from the left side...would consider him against a pitcher with a quality slider/curve (i.e. Morton, Severino, etc.).

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2019, 11:55:17 am »
I agree, but I also like Toro from the left side...would consider him against a pitcher with a quality slider/curve (i.e. Morton, Severino, etc.).

I would expect Toro would get some playing time.  And if they are lucky enough to have a game in a National League park, I'd like to find a way to still get Alvarez in the lineup.  Let's hope AJ has those decisions to make. 

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2019, 02:06:04 pm »

Fuck no!!!! You do not play postseason with a ST lineup.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2019, 02:07:00 pm »

Crazy talk.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

TerryPuhl21

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2019, 08:57:28 am »
Correa is to ask for Machado/Harper money, and is not going to settle for less than Bregman money.
I’d keep Springer over Cole. And the next time Correa is feeling good and producing, I’m dealing him for the best package I can get while the getting is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chuck

• Contributor
  • Double Super Secret Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2019, 04:10:58 pm »
The Astros are going to offer Cole a shorter term deal, something like 3 years at $100MM. They're pretty sure he's going to take a longer deal, though, but they will make a not unreasonable offer.
Y todo lo que sube baja
pregúntale a Pedro Navaja

geezerdonk

• View Profile
Choose Wisely
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2019, 06:26:35 pm »
Great to hear that the Astros are going to make a reasonable offer. He can make $100MM over the next three years and earn it with the best teammates he will ever have and be backed by the best combination of offense and defense in baseball. No doubt he will get much better offers. As a practical matter, how much difference would an extra $100MM make in his day to day life or does the notoriety of breaking the bank overwhelm all other considerations?
E come vivo? Vivo.

HudsonHawk

• Administrator
  • Gentleman About Town
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2019, 07:04:55 pm »
Great to hear that the Astros are going to make a reasonable offer. He can make $100MM over the next three years and earn it with the best teammates he will ever have and be backed by the best combination of offense and defense in baseball. No doubt he will get much better offers. As a practical matter, how much difference would an extra $100MM make in his day to day life or does the notoriety of breaking the bank overwhelm all other considerations?

An extra $20-30 million...every little bit helps feed the family.