Author Topic: Milestones  (Read 2500 times)

Texifornia

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
Milestones
« on: September 18, 2019, 11:32:46 pm »
I've been following this team since I was a wee tyke during the Colt .45 days. As the team and I grew older, I started paying more attention to the standings and statistics.

Around 1969 or 1970 I started making note of the team's 82nd win, or 82nd loss. A winning record was a victory in those days and I always wanted the team to get that 82nd win. Years later, sometime after the All Star break, I started estimating the number of wins needed to win the division. Usually the Astros weren't the one to get it, but I was right in 1980 and again in 1999.

Then came The Troubles and the 63rd win became an annual milestone marked with solemnity.

At last came The Great Redemption and the Crane / Luhnow era. We have seen the greatest milestone of them all: 100 wins for three straight years!

I fuckin' love this team!
He breezed him, one more time!

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • High Order of the Ferret
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
Re: Milestones
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 01:34:28 am »
I've been following this team since I was a wee tyke during the Colt .45 days. As the team and I grew older, I started paying more attention to the standings and statistics.

Around 1969 or 1970 I started making note of the team's 82nd win, or 82nd loss. A winning record was a victory in those days and I always wanted the team to get that 82nd win. Years later, sometime after the All Star break, I started estimating the number of wins needed to win the division. Usually the Astros weren't the one to get it, but I was right in 1980 and again in 1999.

Then came The Troubles and the 63rd win became an annual milestone marked with solemnity.

At last came The Great Redemption and the Crane / Luhnow era. We have seen the greatest milestone of them all: 100 wins for three straight years!

This is scarily uncanny and virtually mirrors my experience. I am close in age and used to look for and celebrate/commemorate the same wins/milestones. I vividly remember the disastrous 1975 campaign, which led to the hirings of Bill Virdon and Tal Smith and better times going into the latter 70's and early 80's and those classic battles with the Dojers. I absolutely and unconditionally love the Astros!!!
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius

SoonerJim

• Veteran Role Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 07:33:20 am »

I started following them closely in '69 also. This is a big turn from the Spec Richardson days.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 08:14:51 am »
1962 for me, which was the season before my senior year in HS. Switched my allegiance from the Pirates to the Colt 45s, and here I am. We are in the Golden Age, and long may it last.
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 09:58:50 am »
1962 for me, which was the season before my senior year in HS. Switched my allegiance from the Pirates to the Colt 45s, and here I am. We are in the Golden Age, and long may it last.

'63 for me as I was then 9 and could understand what was going on. Saw my first game at Colt Stadium that year as we drove up and back from Corpus on a Sunday to see a game vs. the Reds and Frank Robinson. Pete Rose was a rookie 2Bman that year.

JimR

• Contributor
    • View Profile
    • McGinnis, Lochridge & Kilgore, LLP
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 10:14:22 am »
'63 for me as I was then 9 and could understand what was going on. Saw my first game at Colt Stadium that year as we drove up and back from Corpus on a Sunday to see a game vs. the Reds and Frank Robinson. Pete Rose was a rookie 2Bman that year.

I only saw one at Colt Stadium-Musial and the Cards won 2-1-but I listened every night on the radio.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 11:27:12 am by JimR »
Often wrong, but never in doubt.

juliogotay

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 10:56:43 am »
I only saw one a Colt Stadium-Musial and the Cards won 2-1-but I listened every night on the radio.

I got to see Musial play too at Colt Stadium. Must have been his last season....'63.

Snuffy

• Prime Time Player
  • Watch him "motate" down the line!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 12:15:23 pm »

Same here, tho I still root for the Cubbies, Cards, and Reds when they are not playing the Astros.  Grateful their stations had a long reach.  1st chance to see them came in 1965.  It took a while to stop looking up and actually watch the game w/ the Yankees, cause it felt like we were closer to the roof than the game!

Ratified air, indeed, 3rd straight 100-win season, seeing Astros fans cheering in stadiums during away games!  It's a gift. 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 05:14:46 pm by Snuffy »
Nothing worthwhile comes without pain, ask any Astros fan.

Texifornia

• Should Have Quit 500 Posts Ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 05:34:38 pm »
We are in the Golden Age, and long may it last.
It truly is.
He breezed him, one more time!

VirtualBob

• Pope
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2019, 02:52:46 pm »
My Dad & I played a homemade dice baseball game when I was a kid ... taught myself long division keeping stats, which in retrospect may have been my Dad's motivation all along.  It did get me an extra recess period in 3rd grade during math class, but I digress.  We each "managed" 4 teams in the National League (playing a 42-game round-robin schedule), so when expansion hit I got the Colt 45's (somehow) while he got the Mets.  That could not have been geographical, because it was the summer we moved from Michigan to South Carolina.  As a side note, an expansion team typically does a lot better in a league that is 100% based on luck.  :-)  This was also one of two years I got to see the Pirates, my favorite NL team (and my Dad's), in spring training.  (My favorite AL team was the Tigers where I saw my first professional baseball games a few years earlier.). In any case, that was the beginning of my dislike of the Mets.

A couple of years later we moved again, this time to Texas.  My Dad's Pittsburgh roots ran deep, but as a brand new Texan I continued to follow the Astros neé Colts.  Probably due to the successes in 1968, 1979 & 1984 of my "favorite teams", the Astros were always a bit in the background, but seeing several games in the Dome helped.  And I was definitely crushed by the collapse of JR in 1980.  But I think 1986 is where my "bandwagon" turned the corner and I became an Astros fan first, with only a nostalgic attraction remaining for the Pirates and Tigers.  And when the Express showed up in RR, I was among the first to buy season tickets.  I had always followed the minor leagues, but that was when I graduated from occasional bus rider to aspiring bus driver.  Since 2000 I have spent 100% of my baseball time on the Astros and their minor league system.  I barely even recognize the names on opposing teams unless they happen to be refugees from Lexington or Salem or Lancaster or somewhere like that.  I am probably missing a lot of good baseball, bit I am enjoying the heck out of this "Golden Age" ... and all the more for my time on the bus.
Up in the Air

Mr. Happy

• Fantasy Team Owner
  • It's a beautiful day; let's play two
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2019, 04:55:05 am »
My Dad & I played a homemade dice baseball game when I was a kid ... taught myself long division keeping stats, which in retrospect may have been my Dad's motivation all along.  It did get me an extra recess period in 3rd grade during math class, but I digress.  We each "managed" 4 teams in the National League (playing a 42-game round-robin schedule), so when expansion hit I got the Colt 45's (somehow) while he got the Mets.  That could not have been geographical, because it was the summer we moved from Michigan to South Carolina.  As a side note, an expansion team typically does a lot better in a league that is 100% based on luck.  :-)  This was also one of two years I got to see the Pirates, my favorite NL team (and my Dad's), in spring training.  (My favorite AL team was the Tigers where I saw my first professional baseball games a few years earlier.). In any case, that was the beginning of my dislike of the Mets.

A couple of years later we moved again, this time to Texas.  My Dad's Pittsburgh roots ran deep, but as a brand new Texan I continued to follow the Astros neé Colts.  Probably due to the successes in 1968, 1979 & 1984 of my "favorite teams", the Astros were always a bit in the background, but seeing several games in the Dome helped.  And I was definitely crushed by the collapse of JR in 1980.  But I think 1986 is where my "bandwagon" turned the corner and I became an Astros fan first, with only a nostalgic attraction remaining for the Pirates and Tigers.  And when the Express showed up in RR, I was among the first to buy season tickets.  I had always followed the minor leagues, but that was when I graduated from occasional bus rider to aspiring bus driver.  Since 2000 I have spent 100% of my baseball time on the Astros and their minor league system.  I barely even recognize the names on opposing teams unless they happen to be refugees from Lexington or Salem or Lancaster or somewhere like that.  I am probably missing a lot of good baseball, bit I am enjoying the heck out of this "Golden Age" ... and all the more for my time on the bus.

And, for this, I am grateful. Your bus rider updates are much appreciated.
People who cannot recognize a palpable absurdity are very much in the way of civilization. Agnes Rupellier

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius